Scouting

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

MAQ

Reaction score
Saw this on here somewhere recently but i cant find it. so a slight repost but still

OS said:
Kevin Blackwell will use next week's round of international fixtures to check out potential transfer targets. Although not revealing the identity of the players he is looking at, the Blades chief told www.sufc.co.uk that he will spend the week globe-trotting as he attempts to bolster his squad ahead of the 2008-09 campaign.
Blackwell said: "Over the next couple of days I will be flying out to watch a couple of international matches. It is an opportunity to personally check out players that have been recommended to us.
"We've said before that we will cast our net far and wide when it comes to looking for new signings and with it being the end of the season, this is a great opportunity to run the rule over a couple of names."
Blackwell, however, will not be rushed into making signings. He adds: "I will bring people in but only when it is right to do so - when someone becomes available or when a deal can be agreed. "At the end of last season we clearly had a squad that could compete in this division, so if I have to wait until August to get somebody I want, I will do."

Now im not gonna start jumping around and ranting, or making comments like

This just proves ow reight this NO AMBITION lark really is.....
Simply because scouting st the end of the day is good to see, even if the matches watched produce nothing.

However my worries are simply that after watching that three ring circus of a match last night, and unless blackie is about to launch an audacious bid for Gerrard or Beckham et al, im not so confident that any of the T&T players would be good enough to perform in our youth team let alone the reserves or be a good first team player. There were a couple of good movements and certain players had a few promising moments but i dont feel that any of this would constitute a signing.

Lets just hope that some of the other internantional matches that he will view are far far far more productive

Here are the international matches (excluding Euro 2008) up untill the end of the month

From the BBC said:
Monday, 02 June 2008
International Match
Finland v Belarus, 17:00

Tuesday, 03 June 2008
International Match
France v Colombia, 20:00

Wednesday, 04 June 2008
International Match
Canada v Panama, 23:00
Estonia v Faroe Islands, 17:00
Russia v Lithuania, 18:00
Spain v USA, 21:00

Thursday, 05 June 2008
International Match
Chile v Guatemala, 1:00
Mexico v Argentina, 4:00

Saturday, 07 June 2008
International Match
Brazil v Venezuela, 2:10
Haiti v Honduras,

Sunday, 08 June 2008
International Match
Chile v Panama, 0:00
Mexico v Peru,

Monday, 09 June 2008
International Match
USA v Argentina, 0:30

Very good point, MAQ!

Having a good look at what is around is always useful, but signing people on one good match or even a tournament is dodgy. Some players like a tournament and thrive on it, and are then pants for the next couple of years in a club side, Milan Baros springs to mind!! Clubs can regret these impulse buys (but don't we all do it :) ) and even the biggest are guilty of it...Karel Poborsky anyone at OT??

Recommendations by someone connected with the club are worth pursuing, but all too often a recommendation is nothing but touting by the agent. I'm sure Blackie will be working from the former rather than the latter ( I hope :eek: )

Think its the Boy Scouts the Blades have looking for talent.

TBH Blackwell is doing well to check out some of the smaller teams.

What about players from Mexico, Honduras,Chile, Finland, Belarus etc.

There all good technically!

Some of the worlds best have come from teams outside the top 10.
George Weah, Kanu, Dwight Yorke, George Best, Ryan Giggs all played for small nations and were/are world beaters.
Maybe scouting the lesser teams will turn up an absolute gem.
(He says hopefully)

the Croatia's have some good attacking players and check republic too

Back
Top Bottom