Saudi mates

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

It'd be great. I just don't think it'd be better than something like the Blackburn QF, Derby on Boxing Day 2018, any time beating Wednesday, the Forest play off semi, beating Leeds in the League Cup. Even the joy of seeing the team lift the L1 trophy.

I have unbelievably good memories from watching United and I'll always have them. I don't think winning a cup would supersede them because the only way that happens is becoming a version of Newcastle
All of the above and I'll add Leicester and the GCB after the Charlton game..

My initial take was about Premier league football and the desire to sustain and compete, I'm certain the memories won't fade, we must either be happy with what we've got now, (although a Saudi isn't desirable for some I never mentioned a nationality or anything BTW, just said a billionaire) or hope for mega bucks..

Every billionaire can't be a raving loony or and have questionable morals, maybe one of them can take us over instead of some "evil type"

All of the above and I'll add Leicester and the GCB after the Charlton game..

My initial take was about Premier league football and the desire to sustain and compete, I'm certain the memories won't fade, we must either be happy with what we've got now, (although a Saudi isn't desirable for some I never mentioned a nationality or anything BTW, just said a billionaire) or hope for mega bucks..

Every billionaire can't be a raving loony or and have questionable morals, maybe one of them can take us over instead of some "evil type"
I'm not sure you can be a moral Billionaire!

I'm not sure you can be a moral Billionaire!

Or not be a little bit eccentric..

I'll agree, we've got to go through a few more odd characters I'd reckon..

Finding an acceptable billionaire would be a job wouldn't it, then finding one that fits the criteria of wanting to buy united, near impossible?

Or not be a little bit eccentric..

I'll agree, we've got to go through a few more odd characters I'd reckon..

Finding an acceptable billionaire would be a job wouldn't it, then finding one that fits the criteria of wanting to buy united, near impossible?
Anyone wanting to buy a football club is a bit mental

The Prince has been here nearly 10 years.

He doesn't have any mates willing to join him. He's had ownership battles and two premier league promotions. If that doesn't shake a few of his buddies out of their slumber nothing will

Meh. I was enjoying United playing well and winning games when I didn't expect them too.

You looking forward to Saturday then..

Think we could turn them over personally, cause they'll have had a rocket after last week..

You looking forward to Saturday then..

Think we could turn them over personally, cause they'll have had a rocket after last week..
I really, really want to see us attack the game. Try to really fuck them over. It's miserable watching us be so passive

A Saudi Prince must have some ridiculously rich contacts. Billionaires who need a hobby. How hard can it be to sell up. By his own admission he’s taken us as far as he can and wants out. Pick up the phone Abdullah, get your investment back and find another project you can afford.
Good plan, I bet he never thought of that.

You need a billionaire or a miracle to be competitive in the Championship these days. That's not my fault - that's the football authorities fault. They've larbely torn asunder the link between ticket revenue and your place in the pyramid; between sound management on and off the pitch and league position. They've fundamentally changed the ecosystem, probably irreversibly. The government and football authorities aren't bothered: the more money in the game the better is the motto.There's no motive to do anything about it.

I'm not willing to hope that we become some aloof moral martyr as we drop down the leagues. I hope we get owners that allow us to compete in the world THEY created. The time of the local businessman with a few quid is over. The fan ownership model is a pipe dream.

If you want the Premier league, and a lot do it seems, you need a billionaire..

I don't want the Premier league, but I'd like a billionaire to build academies and new stands, and buy top players etc.

Win something in my lifetime maybe as well?
I guess the thing is though that you haven’t ‘won’ anything… you’ve bought it!

I’d love to be a billionaires hobby.

All this pious nonsense about it’d change our identity, but a multi millionaire wouldn’t? You need to run with the wolves. Like every club we need an owner to heavily subsidise the finances, the bigger the pockets the more success we have. I’d like us to have a spell punching our weight for once; 10 years in the Prem, a few Cup Finals, more players of the calibre of Ndiaye, top Academy in Yorkshire and a PL training ground. That would set the foundations for the club for decades.

This peculiar inverse snobbery can only be outcome of being tragically disappointing for the last 50 years. It’s easier to say you don’t care about having something when our track record is abject failure in achieving it for so long.

Last edited:
You need a billionaire or a miracle to be competitive in the Championship these days. That's not my fault - that's the football authorities fault. They've larbely torn asunder the link between ticket revenue and your place in the pyramid; between sound management on and off the pitch and league position. They've fundamentally changed the ecosystem, probably irreversibly. The government and football authorities aren't bothered: the more money in the game the better is the motto.There's no motive to do anything about it.

I'm not willing to hope that we become some aloof moral martyr as we drop down the leagues. I hope we get owners that allow us to compete in the world THEY created. The time of the local businessman with a few quid is over. The fan ownership model is a pipe dream.

100% agree, great post.

I guess the thing is though that you haven’t ‘won’ anything… you’ve bought it!

It's the only way, Chelsea, Arsenal and Man Utd all bought thier way to titles and trophies through the 80s 90s and up to now, most famously also did Blackburn Rovers..

Nobody in the football world thinks, good owd Sheff Utd, won fuck all but at least they haven't resorted to selling out and buying success, and when we were in league one ironically, we were the money team in the eyes of the opposition fans "buying thier way out of the league signing John Brayford with an Arab Sheiks money" did that feel wrong to you at the time? if that's our level we're the Man City of the lower leagues then already aren't we?

*A Blackburn Rovers fan once said to me, it was nice winning the Premier league, but I feel we cheated, Jack Walker shouldn't have broke transfer records spending all his millions, I didn't really enjoy it, deep down I felt we'd cheated Man Utd, Arsenal and Liverpool, buying that title by out spending them and signing all thier targets that summer, I didn't enjoy watching them, turned my stomach seeing Shearer on the back pages every Monday morning, and when we won the league, my heart sank..

*this isn't true of course, the Blackburn fans lapped it up, they knew it was short term, and the top teams would just bump up the budget and get back to thier normality within a season or two, but Blackburn fans got to see thier club win the league and it made them happy.

You need a billionaire or a miracle to be competitive in the Championship these days.

Praise the lord* Hallelujah...

Somebody else gets it 🙌🙌🙌🙌

I mean actually gets it 👏👏👏👏👏

*Michael Brown BTW..

I’d love to be a billionaires hobby.

All this pious nonsense about it’d change our identity, but a multi millionaire wouldn’t? You need to run with the wolves. Like every club we need an owner to heavily subsidise the finances, the bigger the pockets the more success we have. I’d like us to have a spell punching our weight for once; 10 years in the Prem, a few Cup Finals, more players of the calibre of Ndiaye, top Academy in Yorkshire and a PL training ground. That would set the foundations for the club for decades.

This peculiar inverse snobbery can only be outcome of being tragically disappointing for the last 50 years. It’s easier to say you don’t care about having something when our track record is abject failure in achieving it for so long.

Well put.. 👍

A Saudi Prince must have some ridiculously rich contacts. Billionaires who need a hobby. How hard can it be to sell up. By his own admission he’s taken us as far as he can and wants out. Pick up the phone Abdullah, get your investment back and find another project you can afford.
No, they think he's a cunt aswell.

Maybe the OP used lazy language. But, more likely, I'm missing something. Someone fill in the blanks for me. NONE of the recently rich clubs, benefitting from Billions from somewhere, were/are a Billionaire's Hobby were/are they?

The Billions spent were spent for a reason - building a new reputation more palatable in the West (Abramovich) - country and empire building (Manchester City) - Sports Washing (Newcastle United) - multinational sports teams (sometimes based on leverage) - would that be Manchester United, Arsenal?

Maybe Chelsea came closest to the Hobby. But, Abramovich was buying more than trophies, it was a calculated move, not a Hobby.

Anyway, come at me with who you think the Billionaire hobbyists are already in Football. Again, maybe the OP just meant - give us a Billionaire.

It's the only way, Chelsea, Arsenal and Man Utd all bought thier way to titles and trophies through the 80s 90s and up to now, most famously also did Blackburn Rovers..

Nobody in the football world thinks, good owd Sheff Utd, won fuck all but at least they haven't resorted to selling out and buying success, and when we were in league one ironically, we were the money team in the eyes of the opposition fans "buying thier way out of the league signing John Brayford with an Arab Sheiks money" did that feel wrong to you at the time? if that's our level we're the Man City of the lower leagues then already aren't we?

*A Blackburn Rovers fan once said to me, it was nice winning the Premier league, but I feel we cheated, Jack Walker shouldn't have broke transfer records spending all his millions, I didn't really enjoy it, deep down I felt we'd cheated Man Utd, Arsenal and Liverpool, buying that title by out spending them and signing all thier targets that summer, I didn't enjoy watching them, turned my stomach seeing Shearer on the back pages every Monday morning, and when we won the league, my heart sank..

*this isn't true of course, the Blackburn fans lapped it up, they knew it was short term, and the top teams would just bump up the budget and get back to thier normality within a season or two, but Blackburn fans got to see thier club win the league and it made them happy.
Mentions of Blackburn....

Owned (at the time) by born in Blackburn Jack Walker. Made his money in a business based in Lancashire. That Blackburn? Walker was a financially fit focused fan, not a hobbyist.

Despite accusations of inverse snobbery - does anyone really want someone who is treating it as a Hobby? That implies here today, gone tomorrow, laissez-faire, doing it for a laugh, doesn't really matter, doesn't really care, a distraction, something to fill a bit of spare time.

Mentions of Blackburn....

Owned (at the time) by born in Blackburn Jack Walker. Made his money in a business based in Lancashire. That Blackburn? Walker was a financially fit focused fan, not a hobbyist.

Despite accusations of inverse snobbery - does anyone really want someone who is treating it as a Hobby? That implies here today, gone tomorrow, laissez-faire, doing it for a laugh, doesn't really matter, doesn't really care, a distraction, something to fill a bit of spare time.
Dunno if we'll see another one like Walker, maybe Gibson at Boro gets a mention (certain boro won a cup)..

Jack Walker had a dream, he had the money to make it a reality so he did it..

Back
Top Bottom