Saturday vs Southend - biggest game of the season?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

They beat us at the Lane after going something like 15 games without a win, beating us was the catalyst for their remarkable form reversal. Time for us to right the wrong and send them spiralling back down the league with a thumping victory. #Freeman hat trick#

This is a big game - we can put big pressure on Bolton with a win. Every away win takes that bit of pressure off the home games too.

Sheff utd 0 southend 3
That should be enough encouragement for the players to win.
A dark night that was.

It was a bit of a freak result though.

Think Southend scored 3 goals from their first 3 shots.

So the game was effectively over after 15 minutes.
I was there and it did cross my mind to leave the match at half time, never left so early before.

It was a real low point becuase even at that early stage I was starting to think the season was over.

Who would have thought after losing the next game away at Millwall we'd then win 16, draw 4 and lose 1 of our next 21 matches.

Incredible run of results, it's like a miracle.

Last edited:
We need to keep it tight in the first half of we're to get a result. Southend start quickly at home (6 of 20 goals have been scored in first 15 minutes at home) but are susceptible to a late goal- they've conceded 5 in the last 15 minutes at home, while over half our away goals have been scored in the final 30 minutes!

If we're at least level at half time, we can go on to win this.

We need to keep it tight in the first half of we're to get a result. Southend start quickly at home (6 of 20 goals have been scored in first 15 minutes at home) but are susceptible to a late goal- they've conceded 5 in the last 15 minutes at home, while over half our away goals have been scored in the final 30 minutes!

If we're at least level at half time, we can go on to win this.
Importantly, we don't have George Long in goal this time.

You know why we're top of the league? Because we deserve to be. Nobody's gifted us anything, we've got there through graft, through skill, through hard work and through belief and determination. We have a good manager, a decent team and we're getting results.

Southend are a team in form, they're not bad but they're not us. Last season this would have been a nailed on defeat, we have a lot more about us now so stop shitting yourselves and trust in Wilder and the boys.

Win lose or draw it's one game so come on, we're Blades, we can have these fuckers and if we do lose? Setback, not season over ffs.

Now every game is becoming a 'big' game. We could win at Southend and then lose at Walsall - we've just got to keep going. When the history of this season is written, I think one of the pivotal wins will be seen as Coventry away. We had to put up with the lot that night (have they been punished yet?), but overcame it to bring 3 points home.

It's a big test, no doubt about that (so is every game). Football even at this level is about fine margins and at the moment we are on the topside of those finites.
This may sound miserable, but from where I was sitting at Bury, we could have lost that game. At 1-1 they missed two reasonably easy chances plus a big pen shout mixed in there.
We had looked comparitively lethargic up to then.
However, the difference is this season, we can for periods of time, shake off the lethargy and up the tempo. Cue Duffy and Coutts and we controlled it from thereon in (aside from them hitting the underside of the bar), we have plenty of gears and the personnel to change things these days, that's our strength.
Plenty of foibles in this team that need ironing out but the team spirit is tangible, and that goes a long way for me.
Saturday is an acid test for sure....

Stephen McLaughlin isn't going to be playing - that's a boost. He's possibly their best player.

One thing for sure, wilder wont be worrying, he will be expecting us to win the game. And he will instill that into the players. I'm not worried at all. If we want to go up , we need to get something from places like southend.I think we will probably have someone else in by Saturday too. I would like us to play Duffy , Coutts, fleck and Samir on Saturday, what a midfield that is! And maybe Sharp on his own upfront.

Simon Cox is a danger, would do a good job for us as wide man and proven goal scorer at much higher level.Anton Ferdinand too, thought he'd retired.Still fancy us for three points .

The first game for a while where we aren't fully expecting 3 points. If we go down there and beat them it'll be a top win.

Got tix sorted for a trip to Sarfend this weekend :) - it'll prob be around my 70th ground as never been to Roots Hall before.

Anyway, in case anyone is interested.
0-2, Billy hat trick ;)

We will naturally go for the win as we always do with Our Lord Chrissy Wilder's mentality. However I do disagree with people saying we can afford to lose and we will still be top. We cannot get complacent and think we have a 'free game'. Every game and every point is vital now and I want all 3 as we all do. This is our opportunity to escape the dross that is League One football. COME ON BOYS.

... Southend.

Gulp.

:)

Only because we were absolutely gash.

The very fact they did us 0-3 in 20 minutes and embarrassed us all (including CW & AK) we certainly won't capitulate in the game.

I rarely predict a score, but considering what happened at BDTBL, I am going to take a Blades win..............we OWE them one (and from last season when we were on SKY) - so that's two we owe them.

UTB

Back
Top Bottom