Roy Ridge RIP

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Johannesburgblade

Reaction score
A big thank you to SUFC for posting a message on the club website recognising the passing of my Dad Roy Ridge. Although he never asked for any recognition he would have been happy to have been acknowledged by the club that he was proud to have served so loyally.
Rest in peace Dad.

R.I.P. I never saw Roy play. He's listed as being with us from 1951 to 1964. I started attending reserve fixtures with my Dad in the early sixties. There were a number of players at that time who played in the reserves for years but hardly ever made the first team. One of the older posters on vital has just posted this;

"I remember Roy. A local lad, a left back, a good bloke, but rarely played for the first team. In those days, clubs didn’t have Squads, they had a first team and a reserve side. Roy only made 14 or 15 appearances for the first team but was always ready when needed. Also, he was a part-time pro, working for English Steel during the early years of his career with United. He then joined Rochdale for 2 seasons, in which he made 85 appearances.
R.I.P. Roy."

Sorry to hear that Roy has gone.

Condolences Johannes, family and friends.

HH

Remember watching Roy play for the reserves and I believe he played for them for 12 years with probably a dozen or so games in the first team. He captained the reserves for most of that time, I felt sorry for him being a defender because at that time we used to be able to walk round the ground past the cricket pavilion and all went round to the goal we were attacking and the other end was deserted. God knows what he would have made of the modern game with his tackling, I can't remember if he had a testimonial or not but he deserved one for his sterling service to the Blades. RIP ROY.

My wife knew Roy Ridge ( and Johannesburgblade) and told me the sad news earlier today.

Here is the link for everyone

A big thank you to SUFC for posting a message on the club website recognising the passing of my Dad Roy Ridge. Although he never asked for any recognition he would have been happy to have been acknowledged by the club that he was proud to have served so loyally.
Rest in peace Dad.
Years ago I lived across the road from Roy and Judy. Rest In Peace Roy A true Blade

Rest in peace Dad.
Sincere condolences on the loss of your father. Hope you are doing OK.

I had the pleasure of chatting to Roy on many occasions in a pub in High Green where he would often go after playing golf at Tankersley Park .

A more pleasant and affable bloke it would be difficult to find and clearly a Blade through and through . Sad news and condolences to all those close to him .

My dad started taking me to the Lane in the early 1960's and what seemed forever only took me to the reserve games.

Roy was an integral part of that Central league team and played a huge part in my introduction to becoming a Blade.

Condolences to you and your family and RIP.

Sad news. Arguably he illustrates as clearly as anyone how football has changed. Over 10 years with the club, and just 11 league appearances. For those of us brought up going regularly to reserve matches, he was as much a fixture as the first-team players, and was unlucky to be at a club where the regular defenders hardly ever got injured. He did play regular league matches at Rochdale later. Below are pictures of him with the squad in 1953 and 1961.
7A706AB1-99B4-4649-B68D-02CCDEDD56A0.jpegAFE4748F-6EBD-4F33-A50D-E4B76606F80A.jpegIf my sums are right, he is 1 of 5 players in both photos.

Sad news. Arguably he illustrates as clearly as anyone how football has changed. Over 10 years with the club, and just 11 league appearances. For those of us brought up going regularly to reserve matches, he was as much a fixture as the first-team players, and was unlucky to be at a club where the regular defenders hardly ever got injured. He did play regular league matches at Rochdale later. Below are pictures of him with the squad in 1953 and 1961.
View attachment 100124View attachment 100125If my sums are right, he is 1 of 5 players in both photos.
If I remember correctly, he played 11 league games - 9 in one season - in over a decade with us, and then played 84 out of the first 92 league games for Rochdale after his transfer. Famine followed by feast.

A familiar face at the Lane from almost my introduction to 'United' and through out the intervening years..
Sad news.
Condolences to Family and close friends
RIP Roy Ridge.

A couple of programmes of matches in which he appeared. He was playing against the likes of Giles for the reserves - high-quality players were in reserve teams.
View attachment 100128View attachment 100129View attachment 100131View attachment 100130

Phil Chisnall, who played centre forward for Man U reserves in that game, has an odd claim to fame. He was the last player transferred directly between Man Utd and Liverpool. He signed for Liverpool in 1964.

Rest in peace Dad.
Sorry for your loss mate. I shared with you on the infamous 12 man trip to Magaluf in the early 80s. Chin up pal.

View attachment 100124View attachment 100125If my sums are right, he is 1 of 5 players in both photos.
Great photos, some legends there. Well remember seeing Roy play in the 50's and 60's,I think he held some record for most number of games in the Reserve Squad. Saw him in a pub a few years ago and couldn't resist just going up to him and shaking his hand, and he was absolutely charming. Great fella. God bless.

Phil Chisnall, who played centre forward for Man U reserves in that game, has an odd claim to fame. He was the last player transferred directly between Man Utd and Liverpool. He signed for Liverpool in 1964.
Played for Liverpool in a match that was televised by the first ever MOTD tv programme

Rest in peace Dad.
Rest in peace dad. Thank you to the club and to John Garret.

Rest in peace Dad.
I have just realised (thanks, as ever, to Silent Blade ) that I will soon be putting up on the 60 Years Ago thread details of a match in which your father played. I add below pics of the game from the scrapbook, the match programme, and the paragraph about him in the following week’s programme. I hope these are of interest to you and the family.
27510580-A972-4E80-B4EB-89C6EF6F1067.jpeg348CFC53-B110-4B13-B3D0-AADBED421785.jpegA197DAEC-F093-468D-954B-2A47385AA616.jpegF2A4865B-A70F-45BF-8F14-AD36BB684DFE.jpeg8B938EA7-AAE6-4F80-B119-01AF6A996681.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom