Rotherham 0 United 0 - report

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Deadbat

Reaction score
It was a point on the road for the Blades as they could not fashion the big moment to beat a determined Rotherham United at the New York Stadium. The Blades have failed to score against their South Yorkshire neighbours in both games this season and whilst they shaded the game, it will be a concern how little they created in another showing where United were not awful but a long way from the free flowing form we had seen at times before the World Cup break. The result is far from a disaster and with still a sizeable gap on the teams below but the concern is the lack of fluency going forward and if one of their big players does not create a moment of magic, the Blades currently struggle to dictate games or have a secondary plan to get the chances and goals to win games.

The Blades were much changed from the tie at the Racecourse Ground but were able to start with Oli McBurnie in the league for the first time. Foderingham, Lowe, Robinson, Berge and Ndiaye returned but there was no place for Tommy Doyle with Ben Osborn moving into midfield. Ciaran Clark was back on the bench in some positive news of a returnee.

The Millers had been busy in the transfer window and brought 7 new players in. 4 of them started at the New York Stadium with Coventry, Hjelde, Hugill and Fosu Henry in the side. Former Blade Conor Washington was on the bench. They had of course lost skipper Dan Barlaser to Middlesboro which was a blow to counter the incomings.

It was a sold-out stadium with United travelling in good numbers for the short trip across South Yorkshire. The Blades started well with some neat football as Bogle was well advanced but the first chance came on 5 minutes when the ball down the left channel saw Ogbene in but Foderingham smothered on the angle. The long throws of Peltier were a feature early on and for the second game the Blades had to deal with a succession of balls coming in from such a source.

Ndiaye got caught high up as he got there before a defender but there was no real malice and after treatment the forward could play on. The Blades then enjoyed a good spell as Bogle tried to get in twice but overplayed before he overhit his ball to Ahmedhodzic. Good possession saw Berge play it into Bogle but his cross looped into the hands of Johansson.

Rotherham players were going to ground too easily and three times they went to floor in the box under virtually no contact but they were pressing United and for a spell forced them to go long. A decent move saw McBurnie, Ndiaye and Ahmedhodzic involved before Berge hit a low taking shot the keeper had to hold. It was the first effort of note for the visitors.

United then tried to use their own long throw weapon and Robinson forced Johansson twice to punch away less than convincingly. The Blades won two corners but could not fashion a chance from either before Egan then found himself on the left wing but his attempted skill ended with Rotherham winning the ball back before Robinson made the tackle.

Osborn’s twice failed to get over a cross and then compounded it by letting his man skip away and it was not long after this, the Millers fashioned the best chance of the game. The ball came in with no pressure on the crosser and Odoffin had a free header. Foderingham did well to spring to his left and push the ball away. How he was left completely unmarked was anybody’s guess. Buoyed by this Rotherham had a period where they were winning loose balls and a piece of skill from Odoffin was reminiscent of Bergkamp at Newcastle, as he turned his man and went the other way. Ndiaye had to get back to concede the corner.

Bogle was looking United’s most dangerous attacking outlet but he was overdoing things and led to good breaks not materialising in a chance. A few tackles came in both ways and Ndiaye was caught on half way but Scott chose to keep his cards in his pocket before drawing a half, poor on quality and of limited chances, to an end.

The second half started with Osborn’s poor game compounded when he took his own man out Ahmedhodzic and the defender came off worse but was able to play on.

The same player then was at the other end and got on the end of a Berge cross but headed over on the stretch. Berge then got down the left but his cross was hit too hard and away from everyone. Rotherham then had a cross come over but it span off Robinson and into the arms of Foderingham. Osborn gave the ball away and this led to Rathbone having a shot well wide.

Ahmedhodzic was cautioned for a soft challenge that barely seemed worthy of a foul before Scott compounded this as Berge was hacked down with far more contact and he played on! Ogbene won a corner after he ran onto a through ball forward and soon after Hugill hit the deck three times, and committed two hand balls and a clear obstruction but referee Scott waved play on as players kicked at each other and the ball in the melee.

Ndiaye showed good control and quick feet but Berge’s cross was cleared before Berge then crossed over and the ball dropped to Bogle but he smashed miles over. The offside flag was up countering any appeals for a handball in the build up to the chance. Norwood and Berge linked well and Bogle was well placed again but blazed over again.

The first changes came from Rotherham as Wright and Washington came on for Hugill and Hall but one of the incomers, Wright was down with an injury and had to go off with a head injury not long after he had come on!

McAtee and Sharp came on for Osborn and McBurnie and United had a better spell as Rotherham retreated and seemed to be settling for a point. Sharp nearly got in after an excellent ball from Berge but could not get the ball out of his feet – the ball came back to him and Sharp’s cross was poor and flipped behind from the keeper.

Egan got turned on halfway from Washington but Robinson did well to cover for his teammate. McAtee then ran past his man after a lovely turn before being tripped by Rathbone and the yellow card was an easy decision.

United were having much more of the ball and enjoying the lions share of the match in the Rotherham half but were creating little with Berge and Ndiaye not quite getting the vital piece of quality to create an opportunity. A ball in hit a combination of Robinson and Berge but dropped into Johanssen’s hands before another piece of interchange saw United move it around well but it would not drop for Sharp or Ndiaye and was bundled clear.

Ferguson came on for Fosu Henry as Rotherham ended the game with just a solitary striker but twice Norwood’s balls were overhit and then Sharp unwisely took on the shot from the angle that was easy for the keeper. The game ticked into 5 minutes of stoppage time but a Bogle effort that went into the side netting with the keeper having it covered was as close as United got and in the end the home side saw it out to get the point that they would have been happier with.

United – A dreadful game and certainly not the rattling good game Rob Palmer on comms described! There was barely a decent efforts/save, little goal bound action and no real quality from either side. It was boring to watch and sadly we have to take the blame as they were basically happy for the game to be like that and we did not change it or up it and in the end seem to just play it out rather than properly go for the jugular.

We have been getting away with poor performances for a while now but doing enough to win the games. However, we have been winning and that is the main thing and deservedly so and maybe teams have not seriously troubled us but the passive fade outs in games have been alarming and better teams would have hurt us in the second halves as much as we may claim it was a plan to just see it out. There is an argument we have done enough and that is fair enough but today I thought whilst we defended ok save a few moments, we really did not do enough to go on and win the game in terms of not creating much at all. We had more possession and second half kind of controlled it without hurting a poor side. People may say Rotherham were organised and hard working but we need to be better against a side that is going to be right near the bottom. We were way too passive and nobody took responsibility to go and hurt them.

The quality in the final third was really poor and their keeper had one save to make all game and that was routine. We had some balls and moments but nothing clear cut. I thought we would up the intensity on and off the ball but it never happened and the urgency was lacking. It was odd but I sensed that we did not have the courage to go and properly test them and probably win the game.

People will say it’s another point and keeps the unbeaten run going but it is a concern that the performances continue to be remarkably ordinary despite the run. Sums up the rest of the league I suppose. Burnley are streets ahead of everyone else and again go and routinely dispatch another contender away from home. They are gone really in reality so now hope they can take points off rivals which they did today. United had most of their big guns playing but not sure we ever really got behind them to seriously cause them problems? Rotherham lacked quality and to me should have been put away regardless of the position we are in the table and how far ahead we are. We missed a great chance to move another step closer to where we want to be. On the surface an away point seems ok but watching the game the lack of chances and play we had of note when it mattered in the final third was almost nil and with rivals winning below – I see it is a missed opportunity to keep the big gap (yes, it is still big of course).

If we had battered them and the keeper makes save after save then fine but I think we could have been playing till tonight and still not scored. That has to be a concern. Some have said we will do better against better sides and up it but that’s a dangerous game. We seem sucked into this scrappy performance/hope to nick one and see it out mentality. Maybe that might be enough but another 18 games to go and I hope we can find some fluency and some better form. We did not seem to know how to create today. It was hope Bogle can get in behind or Ndiaye might just create something but the football and link up never really threatened to get behind them or see them turned? Granted they did nothing, especially second half but they will be happy with a point considering the two respective positions in the table and the comparison of playing squads/budgets etc.

Anyway, I sense others will see it as just a point and workmanlike but I think there is nothing wrong with asking for and demanding better and with the players and team we had out to barely create a single chance or really have a proper sustained play I think can be a fair criticism. I do feel for all the plaudits thrown at Rotherham for their hard work and defending, they are not a good side and we have to up it and ensure we can see off teams like that.

Off the field, we still have the rumours of the takeover and now we have a name of course and maybe things might happen soon. The embargo is still in place and the longer that goes on, is a worry of course. It has been a bizarre week but our experience of supporting us, the events of last Sunday in the Cup and then the transfer window stuff with players maybe going, then staying and now a guy called Dozy taking us over supposedly – it is fairly typical! It is certainly never dull.

I hope we can show some convincing play in the week and I would play a fairly strong side. I feel the team needs to get some confidence and be able to find some more free flowing stuff so the trade off of risking players might be worth it. The next two home games are important in the league. Two big games and wins and suddenly all of a sudden people will think it is unlikely we will be reeled in – even the pessimists like me. The Boro game is looming large, as is Watford. Oddly if we lost or drew a few round these games but won these, it would not matter too much but at the moment we continue to do enough without being particularly convincing.

Ratings:

Foderingham 7/10 – Busier of the two keepers first half in that he made a smart early save when he closed the angle down and then pushed the header away – the best chance of the half. He had lots of possession on the ground/kicks but was forced to go long often as they pressed the defence/Norwood. Second half fielded one deflected ball and one weak shot and that was it and was better protected as we had more of the ball/game.

Bogle 5.5/10 – Always the main threat for us to begin with and got into some great areas but overplayed and was taking way too long and too many touches. He did have crossing chances but had one deflected and hit his man on another. Energetic and involved but final bits not really there. Second half much the same as he got into some good areas and was able to always show for it but his final shot/cross was appalling. He blazed two over and another into the side netting and was selfish too. People may say he was our most lively player and biggest threat and maybe he was but his end product was shocking despite getting in fantastic areas hence the mark. As I say for involvement and getting in good areas more like a 7-8 but his finishing and final decision was terrible rendering the runs worthless in a way!

Lowe 6.5/10 – Ok considering he had Osborn in front who was offering nothing in terms of attacking or defensive play. He hooked and cleared a few but could not advance too much knowing the lack of pace from his teammate meant he would be in trouble if they broke with pace themselves the other way. Second half defensively he was untroubled and at least got forward a bit more and we saw more of him when McAtee came on as had someone he could link with.

Robinson 7/10 – He won a few tackles and clearances but also went long too much. Defensively ok to start the game but as the game went on became maybe our best player winning the ball and looking more up for it and determined than most. Used various sized towels for his throws but not a lot came from them. Second half he took a few chances but did what he had to in terms of making the interceptions and keeping it forward.

Ahmedhodzic 6/10 – He was better to begin with had a few good runs where he linked up going forward and was not quite found on a few occasions. A few decent interceptions and showed he can read the game well. Got a knock when Osborn crashed into him but he did play on. After this he got a soft booking and sort of lost his way for a spell but he did look a bit more like his old self today but also concern he got booked again (even if harsh) and is now 2 away from a 2 game ban and this seems inevitable and gets involved in some stuff he should not. Had the headed chance that was our only real effort 2nd half that was close. Harsh to be penalised at the end when he got in and the foul was fortunate for them.

Egan 6.5/10 – Solid-ish to start the game against a big lad in Hugill and he won his headers and clearances. Came forward on the wing once too! Not sure who was marking the lad on the header but he was asking for offside? After the break he won the battle completely and they had no opportunities at all. Got done on half way by Washington once though and Robinson had to bail him out.

Norwood 6/10 – Sprayed it around ok but he did not really create too many clear things and they did get on him and force him to play it earlier or longer. He was given the ball in bad situations too and meant he was hurried into going longer. Second half helped move it on and had more of it but his crossing and balls did not always find the target and two or three of those diagonal crosses went to the keeper or behind.

Osborn 3/10 – Complete waste of time. He is slow, weak and one footed. He is limited on the ball to doing a simple 5 yard pass and even those he often leaves short. He should not be close to starting but shows the issues in midfield we have now and moving forward with not having a plan in there. He gets run past too easy and when forward has no skill/pace to make anything happens. His crossing was woeful. Like a kid who cannot kick it hard/high enough. May seem harsh but I thought it was like playing with 10 men at times. He then took his own man out Anel! Surely Couilably could not do any worse? Eventually taken off and we improved once he departed.

Berge 6.5/10 – Quiet to begin with but then had a good 10 minutes and had a few moves and a shot but his heading deficiency was shown up again. He sort of shrinks when he challenges! He did some ok things but too often you forget he was playing. He did to be fair do better 2nd half and two or three good crosses (to Anel/Bogle) and then a good ball to Sharp also. He looked the most likely to create anything. When he gets on it, he looks a threat but needs to be more involved. However today the bits of quality came from him even if they did not lead to a goal.

Ndiaye 6/10 – Bits and pieces and some good control and runs and always looks like making something happen. He linked well with McBurnie and they tried to find opportunities but had little help behind them. His control and running with the ball always cause problems but things did not sit or he took too long to do things at times. Last few games not sure he has quite shown those final moments even with the skill/touch and running he still shows.

McBurnie 6/10 – Started getting stuck in and holding it up and a few moments where we looked good – often came from his football. He then faded a bit and we did not see much from him for the second part of the first half. He was not in the game at all second half and was taken off. I would have left him on as he still would offer more in terms of winning the header/holding it up or linking – Sharp comes on and instantly we look less of a threat I feel.

Subs –

McAtee – Got on the ball and broke through the lines with some good running and moments and did more in 20 minutes than Osborn did in 70. Got tripped up on one good run but the thing I like is he always is positive and will run at players.

Sharp – Came on and it was a struggle. Had one chance but could not get it down and then chipped a poor cross. He tried an ambitious shot from the angle and twice got caught offside. He kind of slows us down when he is on as we have to wait for him to get it under control or catch up. When Jebbison is back, he will be next in line you would think?

Manager: Heckingbottom 5/10 – It’s a point and a clean sheet but the approach away from home at the moment is quite negative and passive. We did not concede and did not really look like conceding but did not look like scoring really. We were not great at Wigan or QPR and the same today. Against two teams on the slide, we struggled really and did well to get 4 points but today against another poor side – we made heavy weather of it. Osborn started and was shocking- hamstringing us both ways. Surely Coulibaly or McAtee have to start? We kind of set up as if we would try and nick a goal via one of our quality players and then see it out but today we did not create or look like scoring and it was dour. I think recently we have not particularly entertained but we have been grinding out results and wins. If the points do not come or we are not winning as regularly, then rightly he can be questioned. I guess a point away is fine but to me it was quite passive and I thought we lacked the bravery to win. I thought he took too long to change it again and when we did, the style and approach remained. He does seem to lack that plan B really and I sensed we kind of run out of ideas. It’s odd as the best way we play or break teams down is the pace on the break with Bogle, Ndiaye and McAtee but that relies on us setting up to play like this rather than dictating but earlier in the season we were imposing ourselves and penning teams in. I am not sure whether it is the gap to third or whether with the changes we are making to the team quite a bit we lack fluency, but the shackles seems to have been put on?

Rotherham – They worked hard and pressed and had a few chances first half and the best chance of the game with the header and were in the game. We had began well but they ended better. They closed us down and restricted us to few chances and will have thought they were in with a real chance of pushing on. However, second half they kind of sat back more and settled for it. I felt we could have pushed them back more as they were not really attacking much at all and by the end were just taking the point but we did not really hurt them. They have signed 7 new players and have made a better fist of staying up this year. The new manager did ok to start and then they had a really bad spell but they have recently improved and beat Blackburn, drew at Watford and drew with us. Three great results really.

Will they stay up? I think the signings and depth they have added means they might this year. There are some really poor sides and the likes of Wigan, Blackpool, Huddersfield and Cardiff – all who seem worse, means they should do enough.

Opponent Man of the Match – Rathbone was lively and had some good runs and broke out of midfield. The defence did well and restricted us too. Hugill got man of the match from the sponsors but thought he barely had a sniff from Egan! Shows how people see things differently.

Opponent Weak link – Thought the keeper was erratic with his punching but we did not test him at all. Bogle did have the beating of Humphreys but we did not get it across there enough. Not sure anyone was awful at all – the lad who came on must be near a record of shortest appearance in a game – as he came on and departed within about a minute (Bailey Wright).

Referee/Officials – Graham Scott. Very fussy and inconsistent. First half fine as he waved away some of their theatrics and just played on. He was ok up the break but then second his booking on Anel was ridiculous as he just outmuscled him and not even a foul. He then fails to see a dangerous tackle on Berge. He then started being really fussy over throws and free kicks for us after letting them take the same first half from wherever they wanted. They kept pulling and fouling in key moments and he did not do enough to clamp down. Incredibly inconsistent in his handling giving some soft fouls and then letting tackles fly in. He reffed parts of the game totally different and you had no idea whether he was in lenient or fussy phase.

Frustrating bore draw very reminiscent of the last Derby against the Pigs where CW was more interested in a point and we hoofed it all game to Madine. Good positive that Clark is back in the match day squad but its midfield where are once again sadly lacking.

Osborn is a duracell bunny that never stops running but does nothing when in possession of the ball. Doyle is fast becoming a sick note similar to Clark. We really don't do loans well do we. PH seems to have a mental block about Coulibaly. If not him in midfield then why not Brooks. 6 foot left footed a unit. He can't be any worse than little Ben. What we desperately need back is the John Fleck of the Florist away play off game. We are continually failing to move the ball through the middle. Not helped by not winning second balls. On the rare occasions we get the ball down we look dangerous but this is just fleeting glimpses of what we are capable of. Away from Home we are regressing back into a cautious approach. Appreciate Mcatee has been injured but if he's capable of 20 minutes he's able to do 35 which is what he should have been doing.

The game is 90 minutes and our ability to remain on the front foot during games is diminishing week by week. After Tuesday we will have had to contend with 3 games of hoof. Swansea and Boro will at least try to play football so that should suit us better.

As for the pantomime season off the pitch the stories about shortages are getting taller by the day. Next week we're not playing in shorts :).

People are clinging to our "form" and citing the points we've accumulated plus the gap to third.
But the standard of our performances is patently on a steady slide.
Our inability to make our quality count by imposing ourselves when in possession is very worrying.
We've been booting long aimless aerial balls instead of showing midfield cohesion.
It is frustrating watching us when Hecky seems unable to see what's going wrong and/or incapable of changing tactics or hooking players who are doing badly , eg Osborn.
For goodness sake , be brave , try Coulibaly , a player Rovram will know nothing about.
It is in the lap of the Gods - hopefully not dem Football Gods - whether we can continue to scrape results from poor play.
Far better for Hecky to get a grip of things and improve performances ...
Maybe the double whammy of the transfer window/embargo & takeover bollox has taken its toll this week.
Manager & players need to put all that stuff out of their minds and concentrate on producing the football of which we're capable.

We haven`t been at our best recently, but have still been better than the opposition. Spare a thought for the support of RUFC, they have to watch that shit every week and consider it brilliant. Hugill man of match . Oh dear oh dear,

Glad to see your observations on Bogle.

I think it's easy for fans to be distracted by involvement rather than impact.

Yes, he saw a lot of the ball so he was often involved. That didn't equate to him having a good game. He had a pretty crap game to be honest as whenever he found himself in a good position he took the wrong decision. Even at the end it was pretty obvious he wasn't going to score near post.

One to forget but it is a point and for all the talk of Boro, their last two games are in fact won 1 lost 1 whereas we have won 1 and drawn 1.

I still think we'll do it with 3 or 4 to spare. There is almost no margin of error for those chasing.

We do need some change in midfield. As you say, Osborn was back to his Tiny Tim performance. Far too weak and passive. I'm a bit surprised Coulibaly didn't start. But as he didn't then please, please start him vs Wrexham. If Doyle is having to take care of his calf muscle and Fleck is on his way but not quite then it's crying out to have another option we can trust. Let him show what he can do this mid week and hopefully we can consign Osborn to being picked if we're absolutely desperate.

If Doyle is not being risked, I'd rather see a diamond with Norwood at the base, flanked by Berge and McAtee and Ndiaye as the 10 behind McBurnie. Failing this, then Coulibaly in there somewhere, but no more Osborn please unless we really need to use him to protect Lowe and even then he's an obvious weakness we'd need to carry.

Good report as for the ref every time I have seen him he has been very poor in his decisions very inconsistent and really should not be reffing at this level

Good report as for the ref every time I have seen him he has been very poor in his decisions very inconsistent and really should not be reffing at this level
Agree he's shocking. Typical Premier league ref wants to be in the limelight. Hopefully we won't see him again this season. This is the clown who sent Egan off against Villa on the halfway line for pulling back an opponent. Riley the refs chief admitted to Wilder a few weeks later it was only a booking.

Surely Couilably could not do any worse?
I was thinking this exact thing about 10 mins into the match... It pains me to say as I've liked him in the past but I don't think Osborn has had a single decent game this season. We need much better whatever league we're in next year.

I really dont get playing Osbourne . I have to agree with your score - maybe even less than 3 ! Yes he runs all day but He has no pace at all and thats the reason he always plays safe and passes backwards all the time. The suggestion was that he adds amore defensive steel to the midfield but as he has no pace he is a liability in any case.
His height is always a worry as well, given that we have Norwood who is quite small and Berge who heads like a schoolboy ! so we rely on the tall centre backs and Mcburnie to win balls in the air !
I am in agreement we should try Coulibaly as he surely cant be worse than Osbourne

We haven`t been at our best recently, but have still been better than the opposition. Spare a thought for the support of RUFC, they have to watch that shit every week and consider it brilliant. Hugill man of match . Oh dear oh dear,
How on earth did Hugill win MOTM? I just forced myself to watch the extended "highlights". His name was mentioned once, making a simple layoff. I thought their keeper looked decent and controlled his area well.

I really dont get playing Osbourne . I have to agree with your score - maybe even less than 3 ! Yes he runs all day but He has no pace at all and thats the reason he always plays safe and passes backwards all the time. The suggestion was that he adds amore defensive steel to the midfield but as he has no pace he is a liability in any case.
His height is always a worry as well, given that we have Norwood who is quite small and Berge who heads like a schoolboy ! so we rely on the tall centre backs and Mcburnie to win balls in the air !
I am in agreement we should try Coulibaly as he surely cant be worse than Osbourne
we dont need osborn playing 3 centre backs and norwood sitting deep just in front of em fair enough if mcatee wasnt fit but if he was he should have been in there from kick off osborn offers us nothing

Back
Top Bottom