Rob Scott?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

LoughboroBlade

Reaction score
Rather random. I wasn't even aware he'd followed his brother into management...

Particularly interesting is the bit highlighted re: joint managers.

ROB SCOTT admits he is flattered to be linked with the manager's job at former club Sheffield United.

Boston United's joint-manager is thought to be a contender for the vacant hotseat at Bramall Lane, according to media sources in South Yorkshire.

The Championship strugglers are on the lookout for a new boss following Gary Speed's departure for the Wales international post.

Scott has strong links with the Blades, the club which launched his playing career.

Scott and fellow joint-manager Paul Hurst were linked to the Lincoln City job earlier this season and have made no secret of the fact they would listen to offers from Football League clubs.

But with a host of household names also in the frame for the Blades post, Scott is not expecting an approach.

"I'm flattered to be linked with a club where I started my career and have a lot of affection for," said Scott.

"We must be doing something right for me to be linked to such a prestigious post, but at the moment it's all media talk.

"I won’t be holding my breath on this one."

Doncaster Rovers boss Sean O’Driscoll, Port Vale chief Micky Adams, Phil Brown and Scott’s brother Andy, the Brentford manager, are also thought to be in contention.

A managerial partnership between the Scott brothers has even been mooted.

The Blades, currently being led by caretaker boss John Carver, do not plan to unveil the new man until after Christmas.

"We've spoken to or are aware of about 12 people who are keen on the idea of coming here," said Blades PLC chairman Kevin McCabe.

"In terms of the nitty gritty we are talking of about four.

"That's four candidates from outside the club.

"If John (Carver) does well then of course it would be foolish to rule him out.

"If John was appointed it wouldn't be for economic reasons."

I think he can be added to the list of managers mentioned in the media purely because they happened to play for us many years ago - Chris Wilder, David Holdsworth, Andy Scott, Keith Curle, any others?

How about the head coach of the Ethiopian National team, the one and only Iffy Onuora?

I've posted the occasional comment about Rob Scott over the past few months. What he and Paul Hurst have achieved at Boston United is little short of a miracle. They rebuilt the entire team at the start of last season (probably only feasible with part-time players) gained promotion from the Unibond league at the first attempt and are now riding high in the Blue Square North.

The thing is they are now managing in the 6th tier - which is a hell of a jump up to Championship level - and I've no idea which of the two joint managers is responsible for it all!

I've posted the occasional comment about Rob Scott over the past few months. What he and Paul Hurst have achieved at Boston United is little short of a miracle. They rebuilt the entire team at the start of last season (probably only feasible with part-time players) gained promotion from the Unibond league at the first attempt and are now riding high in the Blue Square North.

The thing is they are now managing in the 6th tier - which is a hell of a jump up to Championship level - and I've no idea which of the two joint managers is responsible for it all!

They have obviously done one hell of a job, but there's absolutely no way on this earth TB and KM will take the gamble of employing them (as good as they may be/will be) when we have a battle on our hands to remain in this division.

Some experience is surely needed for this division?

They have obviously done one hell of a job, but there's absolutely no way on this earth TB and KM will take the gamble of employing them (as good as they may be/will be) when we have a battle on our hands to remain in this division.

Some experience is surely needed for this division?

I agree. There's a piece in the Boston paper today about the supposed link with the Blades, but Rob Scott, whilst flattered, doesn't seem to think it has any substance. I hadn't realised that both Rob Scott and Paul Hurst are also part-time - they have other jobs during the daytime. Training is on Tuesday and Thursday evenings. Such is grass roots footie!

There is one proviso, though. If Boston gain promotion to the top flight of non-league football they would have to consider going full-time (both managers and players), something that the Club and its backers might find it hard to afford. I think we can expect Rob Scott to move up in the footie hierarchy - and maybe he'll manage the Blades one day - but not for a few years at least.

Back
Top Bottom