RIP Tommy Hoyland

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Sad news. I met Tommy by total fluke in Crookes as I was out with my kids and he was taking a walk in the park. I saw he was wearing a United tie and it was literally just after Leeds had drawn with Villa so it was the day we got promoted under Wilder and we got talking United and it was a while before he said he used to play for us. I didn't know I was speaking to Tommy Hoyland but as soon as he said who he was I knew the name and obviously with his son too. He just came across as a really nice guy, think we spoke about ten minutes and I'm saddened to hear of his passing. Thoughts and prayers with his family.

I Met Tommy a few times when He was the landlord at the Sheldon very friendly and a Great Person.
RIP Tommy.

The memories are so important.

Seeing Tommy around the Lane in his later years, always smart and a friendly soul.

Seeing the pictures bring back memories of my grandad playing cricket with Jimmy Hagan.

I worked on Cec Coldwells car in the 70's and had a great chat with him....nice bloke!

Memories....

Tommy was just the kind of player our current squad is sadly lacking .

Not the most technically gifted but always rolled up his sleeves and gave 100 % and was absolutely first class at getting in blocks and tackles to snuff out danger , then giving the ball to someone more skilful than himself promote an attack .

The value to a team of this type of player has been greatly underestimated down the years , but not by the likes of Alf Ramsey who considered Nobby Styles to be one of the key players in England’s 1966 World Cup campaign who was a similar kind of player to Tommy .

He was also a first class landlord when he ran the Sheldon and one who came across as a thoroughly nice bloke and who deserved the ripe old age which he achieved .

Imagine being in your twilight years, getting the photo album out and seeing yourself in pictures like the ones above? Closing your eyes and hearing the crowd, feeling the old adrenaline and basking in those memories. He lived the dream, was a smashing bloke and my thoughts go out to his family and friends.

RIP

We used to go in the Sheldon every other night, when pubs were pubs, it was always our 3rd after the Royal Oak and Lansdowne. He ran a great pub.
Graham, Tommys other son was a great lad and apparently better than Jamie at football, but got a bad injury.
RIP Tommy.

I was literally thinking about the Hoylands last night, thinking about how both of them were devoted servants to the club and true Blades off the pitch, obviously Tommy was way before my time but my grandad rated him!

RIP.

RIP Tommy true gentleman,sad loss ,was a pleasure to know him.😥

Tommy was a great servant to the club and a fine player from what I've read about him. Never saw him play but met him a few times in The Sheldon. Always had a few minutes to chat when it wasn't so busy. He was a real gent and kept a good pint too. God bless Tommy, R.I.P

Tommy was a great servant to the club and a fine player from what I've read about him. Never saw him play but met him a few times in The Sheldon. Always had a few minutes to chat when it wasn't so busy. He was a real gent and kept a good pint too. God bless Tommy, R.I.P
Yes a genuine guy loved the sandwiches in the Sheldon and a good pint .Worked on Hill St and we would go in at dinner times . A sad loss ,so sorry

Tommy was just the kind of player our current squad is sadly lacking .

Not the most technically gifted but always rolled up his sleeves and gave 100 % and was absolutely first class at getting in blocks and tackles to snuff out danger , then giving the ball to someone more skilful than himself promote an attack .

The value to a team of this type of player has been greatly underestimated down the years , but not by the likes of Alf Ramsey who considered Nobby Styles to be one of the key players in England’s 1966 World Cup campaign who was a similar kind of player to Tommy .

He was also a first class landlord when he ran the Sheldon and one who came across as a thoroughly nice bloke and who deserved the ripe old age which he achieved .
Sad news. Your tribute set me thinking, and made me realise that I must have seen most of his games for Utd, but have few direct memories of him. I think I was too young to appreciate his ‘unseen work’ (a term debased on here recently through its association with one particular player), and I realise now that he was doing what his younger replacement, Brian Richardson, did. I came to appreciate Richardson’s role as I grew up. I have just been through the scrapbooks from my youth, thinking I would post a few action photos of Tommy Holland, but found exactly the same as with Richardson - plenty of photos of him pre-match when a big Cup game was imminent, but I only found one photo of him in action. The ball-winners are a neglected, under-appreciated breed.
IMG_6028.jpegIMG_6029.jpegIMG_6030.jpegIMG_6031.jpeg

Sorry to hear this sad news.

Condolences to family and friends.

A true Blade.

HH

Back
Top Bottom