Richardson

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

stringjunior

A Stringer original
Reaction score
Been chatting with stringsenior this evening (who's memory isn't what it used to be, bless him) and he remembers a defender from the 70's called Richardson who, in his words, was harder than Morgs and would eat ya legs for breakfast. I'm assuming it's Brian Richardson, but has anybody got any memories of this apparent hard man? I'd love to share them with Dad.

Been chatting with stringsenior this evening (who's memory isn't what it used to be, bless him) and he remembers a defender from the 70's called Richardson who, in his words, was harder than Morgs and would eat ya legs for breakfast. I'm assuming it's Brian Richardson, but has anybody got any memories of this apparent hard man? I'd love to share them with Dad.

Brian Richardson was sixties.

Paul Richardson? But he was a midfielder.

Yes, Brian Richardson was part of that great defence of the sixties - Hodgkinson, Coldwell, Graham Shaw, Summers, Joe Shaw and Richardson.

And yes, he was as hard as nails!

My late father-in-law was a Derby County fan, living in Sheffield, but went to watch the Blades most home games. He would say of Richardson "he's a dirty bastard, I wish he played for us"!

$_35.JPG

Richardson. IMO part of the best defence we have put out in my lifetime. Not one ounce of fat, he feared no one. He had a very bad arm/shoulder injury and the bloke behind me thought that he would never play again. I think that he did.
The crack when the bone was broken could be heard around the ground. A sickening sound that I remember to this day.

Richardson. IMO part of the best defence we have put out in my lifetime. Not one ounce of fat, he feared no one. He had a very bad arm/shoulder injury and the bloke behind me thought that he would never play again. I think that he did.
The crack when the bone was broken could be heard around the ground. A sickening sound that I remember to this day.
He also damaged his elbow during
that promotion season and missed a fair few games, Dave Powell was a similar player in a later team,he was very unlucky with injuries, I think A Rowley signed powell

Always seemed to have a tan but it was natural swarthiness and very hairy legs which were very muscular, particularly the thighs at a time of short shorts. Jet black hair, Brylcreemed and quite a long quiff which he was always pushing away from his face. Famed for his sliding tackles from way off and he was the man for the heavy grounds which were common. He patrolled central midfield and with the ball I remember him as deliberate rather than having flair and he knew his limitations and usually moved the ball on to better ball players such as Summers.

How would I compare him to current ball winner Hammond? Altogether more mobile and active and went to ground much quicker at a time when physical contact was allowed. Would be equally low on goals and assists. Yes he was hard, 'the hard man' in our team of pure footballers.

By the way Richardson was right half in the old 'W Formation'. Coldwell and Shaw right and left full backs. Richardson right half Summers left half and Joe Shaw centre half. Hodgy in goal.

Right halves played in an area that Coutts and Hammond play at present and the inside forwards would be further advanced with two out and out wingers playing well advanced and of course on the touch lines and then a centre forward who never seemed to play on his own up front, not at all.

I remember seeing Brian Richardson play. Can't recall when he hung up his boots, probably around 1965 or 1966. Would it be fair to say John Harris never really replaced him as our ball- winning wing half until we signed Trevor Hockey in January 1971?

Appreciate that this thread is really about Brian Richardson - too young to see him play but I'd be quite happy to have a feller like Paul Richardson in our team at the moment.
He was a grafter and could put the boot in when necessary - as well as when it wasn't ;)

Appreciate that this thread is really about Brian Richardson - too young to see him play but I'd be quite happy to have a feller like Paul Richardson in our team at the moment.
He was a grafter and could put the boot in when necessary - as well as when it wasn't ;)
I remember he had legs like tree trunks. I assumed he was shit because he was a clogger and, being a kid, I accepted the opinion of the adults around me who often loudly reminded him he was shit.

I remember he had legs like tree trunks. I assumed he was shit because he was a clogger and, being a kid, I accepted the opinion of the adults around me who often loudly reminded him he was shit.
I bet that was the old geezers who used to stand on the John St East theyd slag anybody off and we had played shit when we won 4-0

I bet that was the old geezers who used to stand on the John St East theyd slag anybody off and we had played shit when we won 4-0
No, back of the kop in line with the left hand side goal post (nearer South Stand).
Richardson always got it (didn't he once flick the Vs at us?), Curran obviously and Houston were the main targets.

No, back of the kop in line with the left hand side goal post (nearer South Stand).
Richardson always got it (didn't he once flick the Vs at us?), Curran obviously and Houston were the main targets.
Whatever happened to Stuart Houston when he came to us fucking shocking!

Whatever happened to Stuart Houston when he came to us fucking shocking!
He was assistant manager to George Graham at Arsenal. He got into a spat with Vinny Jones after Jones elbowed Anders Limpar at BDTBL in April 1991. Houston was on the touchline staring hard at Jones and tapping his (Houston) temple which wound up Jones

Back
Top Bottom