Retained list 2023/24

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Champagneblade

Reaction score
I know we will all have our opinions but I wonder if they would consider doing this early?

If it is to be farewell to Basham, Baldock, Norwood for instance and even McBurnie or Osborn, they have been with us through a memorable period.

It would be nice to be able to say goodbye in front of the fans. I know this was a bit of a gripe with Billy. He kind of had an idea at the Town Hall but there will be no such occasion this time around.

I know we will all have our opinions but I wonder if they would consider doing this early?

If it is to be farewell to Basham, Baldock, Norwood for instance and even McBurnie or Osborn, they have been with us through a memorable period.

It would be nice to be able to say goodbye in front of the fans. I know this was a bit of a gripe with Billy. He kind of had an idea at the Town Hall but there will be no such occasion this time around.
I would imagine Tottenham at home we would see a fair few of the players like Norwood make it onto the pitch.

I don’t think we would announce it early though. But I think the writing will be on the board with the substitutions in the game.

Would be nice though.

Normally I wouldn't advocate the release of the retained list whilst the season was ongoing as you want to keep players playing for a new contract motivated.

However this season, it's clear that you couldn't motivate some of these pricks if you held a gun to their heads, and I'm sure the vast majority will already know if they are staying/going. So I don't really see what harm it could do by releasing it before the last match of the season (so that the ones who have served us well in the past can get the adulation and respect from the fans that their past service deserves such as Norwood, Bash etc).

Either way, only three to go now, and I hope the retained list is ruthless and published asap after the end game, if not before. Then get on pronto with trying to move on the ones who don't want to be here, and put deadlines on any new contract offers made to players. Let's try to control the circumstances as much as possible rather than letting players and agents run the negotiations. If you want to stay, the clubs final offer is x, sign by this date or else the contract offer is withdrawn and you are released and the club moves on.

Last edited:
Normally I wouldn't advocate the release of the retained list whilst the season was ongoing as you want to keep players playing for a new contract motivated.

However this season, it's clear that you couldn't motivate some of these pricks if you held a gun to their heads, and I'm sure the vast majority will already know if they are staying/going. So I don't really see what harm it could do by releasing it before the last match of the season (so that the ones who have served us well in the past can get the adulation and respect from the fans that their past service deserves such as Norwood, Bash etc).

Either way, only three to go now, and I hope the retained list is ruthless and published asap after the end game, if not before. Then get on pronto with trying to move on the ones who don't want to be here, and put deadlines on any new contract offers made to players. Let's try to control the circumstances as much as possible rather than letting players and agents run the negotiations. If you want to stay, the clubs final offer is x, sign by this date or else the contract offer is withdrawn and you are released and the club moves on.
I agree with you. It would be unusual, but I hope we do name any definite releases just before the Spurs match. I would much rather give Norwood the ovation that he deserves at the end of the match in the knowledge that he is leaving, than see Wilder giving him extended pitch time, and wondering if it’s some kind of signal, while getting frustrated at watching him, and not knowing quite what to do at full time.
The way we handled Billy’s situation at the end of last season was disrespectful both to the player and the fans. Let’s learn from our mistakes.

Club should tell them they are leaving and announce it before end of season, then let them come on the pitch and get a round of applause before the spurs game, much better than bringing them on or even starting them and risk them being booed off if we get tanked, imagine telling their grand kids that

Speed on stuff like this doesn't happen in Sufc, last year it was mid June when we released it and as ever we were fucking about with signings in August at end of window.
And so it began brilliant point i remember thinking back then we haven't got a clue and are so ill prepared cue 2 major sales and the rest is history. What an absolute shambles

In my opinion Billy would not have been treated the way he was had Wilder been here.
Things were handled badly
with him being one of Wilders men.
Hopefully a repair job of some kind has taken place.

I agree with you. It would be unusual, but I hope we do name any definite releases just before the Spurs match. I would much rather give Norwood the ovation that he deserves at the end of the match in the knowledge that he is leaving, than see Wilder giving him extended pitch time, and wondering if it’s some kind of signal, while getting frustrated at watching him, and not knowing quite what to do at full time.
The way we handled Billy’s situation at the end of last season was disrespectful both to the player and the fans. Let’s learn from our mistakes.
Yep,appalling treatment of Billy,one of the few true legends to have graced the Lane.

I would imagine Tottenham at home we would see a fair few of the players like Norwood make it onto the pitch.

I don’t think we would announce it early though. But I think the writing will be on the board with the substitutions in the game.

Would be nice though.
All of those mentioned should be carried round the pitch shoulder high - wonderful contributors to this club

Despite the shitshow of this season there a few who deserve a decent send off for what they have done for us.

Basham
Baldock
Norwood

Those 3 deserve to leave here as legends and it's been awful to watch Norwood's decline as he is copping flack that he shouldn't be put in the firing line of now. A sensible manager wouldn't risk him at all. Granted since Wilder has come in he has limited the amount of pitch time Norwood has had.

Last edited:

I wish people would stop slagging off Norwood. He has been a great player for the club. Ok physically he can't handle the Premier League and maybe even all football anymore. But he does not owe the club anything.
Absolutely. I'll argue with anyone til the cows come home that him and McGoldrick were much more tactically important than the 'overlapping CBs' which gets all the recognition.

Our slide can be linked to McGoldrick not being able to stay fit, and Norwood spending lockdown eating Mars Bars and drinking Irn Bru.

Nidiaye seamlessly stepped in to replace McGoldrick, but it wasn't until Doyle began starting matches that we replaced Norwood. Looking at us now, and into next season then I'm shuddering at the prospect....

Club should tell them they are leaving and announce it before end of season, then let them come on the pitch and get a round of applause before the spurs game, much better than bringing them on or even starting them and risk them being booed off if we get tanked, imagine telling their grand kids that
Best idea yet. Protects the leaving players, and the club. Gives fans a chance to say goodbye and thank you.

They could always do a fleck and come back to watch us get stuffed a few months later 😔

I'm pretty sure Bash has said he isn't going to call it quits unless the doctors tell him otherwise. If he's able to play at any level he'll be here as a old head in the dressing room imo so I unless the doctors say no chance I think that might not have a early answer.

Others might have no interest in returning or we have decided to get rid so an early announcement is fine but I suspect we wouldn't see a full retained list

T
I wish people would stop slagging off Norwood. He has been a great player for the club. Ok physically he can't handle the Premier League and maybe even all football anymore. But he does not owe the club anything.
The key words there are “has been” he’s way out of his depth at this level.

If the retained list is released early, and those players are still selected for a match, might it motivate them to play well for any watching scouts with a view to earning a contract elsewhere?

They could always do a fleck and come back to watch us get stuffed a few months later 😔

I'm pretty sure Bash has said he isn't going to call it quits unless the doctors tell him otherwise. If he's able to play at any level he'll be here as a old head in the dressing room imo so I unless the doctors say no chance I think that might not have a early answer.

Others might have no interest in returning or we have decided to get rid so an early announcement is fine but I suspect we wouldn't see a full retained list
Bash needs to make sure he can walk properly and enjoy a good quality life after football.

Last thing you’d want for such a good servant would be him pushing too much and doing himself long term harm, like a Boxer who just wants one more fight.

If the retained list is released early, and those players are still selected for a match, might it motivate them to play well for any watching scouts with a view to earning a contract elsewhere?
Probably. Surprising as it sounds I think most of our OOC players will get good championship moves anyway.

T

The key words there are “has been” he’s way out of his depth at this level.
I don’t disagree but the stick he gets isn’t warranted, Wilder is the one that makes the stupid decision of bringing him on so he is the one who it should be aimed at if anyone wants to dish it out.

We'll be here till next season if we give everyone who's currently down to be elsewhere next season a clap!

Adam Davies
Ben Brereton Díaz
Ben Osborn
Chris Basham
Daniel Jebbison
George Baldock
James McAtee
Jayden Bogle
John Egan
Jordan Amissah
Mason Holgate
Max Lowe
Oli McBurnie
Oliver Norwood
Rhys Norrington-Davies
Wes Foderingham
Yasser Larouci

We'll be here till next season if we give everyone who's currently down to be elsewhere next season a clap!

Adam Davies
Ben Brereton Díaz
Ben Osborn
Chris Basham
Daniel Jebbison
George Baldock
James McAtee
Jayden Bogle
John Egan
Jordan Amissah
Mason Holgate
Max Lowe
Oli McBurnie
Oliver Norwood
Rhys Norrington-Davies
Wes Foderingham
Yasser Larouci

Champagneblade Add in all the yoof, Coulibaly and (potentially) Anel, Hamer and The Sloth and it'll definitely be dark by the time it's done

Adam Davies
Ben Brereton Díaz
Ben Osborn
Chris Basham
Daniel Jebbison
George Baldock
James McAtee
Jayden Bogle
John Egan
Jordan Amissah
Mason Holgate
Max Lowe
Oli McBurnie
Oliver Norwood
Rhys Norrington-Davies
Wes Foderingham
Yasser Larouci
Yeah but we’ve got to think of some reason to make the crowd applaud, some in thanks and some in relief they’re going! It probably won’t be the football that draws the applause!

Back
Top Bottom