Reserves

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

We were hoping to, but we now have a house viewing.

That's a very exciting looking line up. Hopefully they'll be playing that for the remaining reserve fixtures, and keep the team together.

I have to say having a Reserve team who only play 14 games a season is a joke (NOT blaming the club before anyone jumps in . . . . ).

Surely it is not beyond the wit of man to come up with a decent second string competition like the Central League used to be. Teams in the top two divisions carry large enough squads to have a proper "1 game per week" competition to keep second string players up to speed fitness wise.
It's no wonder we are struggling to bring players through from this "development" squad if they hardly ever get to play.

I have to say having a Reserve team who only play 14 games a season is a joke (NOT blaming the club before anyone jumps in . . . . ).

Surely it is not beyond the wit of man to come up with a decent second string competition like the Central League used to be. Teams in the top two divisions carry large enough squads to have a proper "1 game per week" competition to keep second string players up to speed fitness wise.
It's no wonder we are struggling to bring players through from this "development" squad if they hardly ever get to play.

I totally agree and I've been banging on about this for a while. The Irish lads joined at Xmas and this is going to be only their second official game for the club! Likewise, Philliskirk and the Norwegians. I understand there's been at least one "behind closed doors" friendly but that's hardly going to prepare players ready to play in front of 20,000 fans. Most of these "Development players" are aged between 19 and 22 and therefore older than the Kyles were when they broke into the first team. If the club had arranged a proper "game a week" schedule of fixtures like you say, these lads could have played 8 matches and be ready to at least put pressure on the first team players by now.

Lets be honest about it, "Development Squad" is just the name given by Micky Adams to players who weren't signed by him. It's just the "Reserves" with a fancy title and what's the point of bringing in 22 year old reserves to play one game a month and make no real effort to fast-track them into the first team?

Lets be honest about it, "Development Squad" is just the name given by Micky Adams to players who weren't signed by him. It's just the "Reserves" with a fancy title and what's the point of bringing in 22 year old reserves to play one game a month and make no real effort to fast-track them into the first team?

No it's not, other clubs have them. They take a bunch of players with potential, who may not yet be ready for first-team action, and get them to play as a unit ready to bring through into the first team. Reserve teams are there to keep the back-ups match fit, development teams are there to... well... develop.

It's a different, more intelligent use of the reserve league set up.

And it's also nothing to do with Adams. It was set up long before he got here.

Can anyone answer me this question. Why are signing loan players for the development squad. This guy Philliskirk is a Chelsea player. We are paying his wages to develop him for Chelsea. Nice set up for them....we pay him, develop him and Chelsea sell him on to another club. What are we getting anything out of it? He's nowhere near the 1st team!!!

Reserve teams are there to keep the back-ups match fit.

If that's the case why aren't first team players who haven't had much action and/or need to improve their fitness playing for the "Reserves" tonight?
(E.G. Bent, Vokes, Yeates, Calve, Kozluk)

Development teams are there to... well... develop.

That's the point. How are they going to develop if they're only playing one "proper" game a month?
Wouldn't the likes of Long, Slew and Harriot benefit from playing in the reserves as well as at U18 level? Why aren't they getting a game tonight?

If the twin aims of the Reserves are to keep fringe players match-fit and develop young players then United are currently failing in both aims.
Purely due to a lack of fixtures.
Why can't United arrange a couple of extra "Development" friendlies midweek at The Lane and allow season ticket holders in for free?
I.e. A goodwill gesture to the fans and a proper attempt to "Develop the Development Squad".

>Why can't United arrange a couple of extra "Development" friendlies midweek at The Lane and allow season ticket holders in for free
because they are idiots with no vision mate.. (great idea btw although i'm guessing that the groundsman would moan about the pitch)

If that's the case why aren't first team players who haven't had much action and/or need to improve their fitness playing for the "Reserves" tonight?
(E.G. Bent, Vokes, Yeates, Calve, Kozluk)

...because we have a development squad.

Why can't United arrange a couple of extra "Development" friendlies midweek at The Lane and allow season ticket holders in for free?
I.e. A goodwill gesture to the fans and a proper attempt to "Develop the Development Squad".

This I think is a great idea. I'm guessing that the cost of using the stadium is too high for such a low interest fixture though. Of course, there is nothing stopping the fans from going to the matches.

---------- Post added at 03:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:10 PM ----------

Can anyone answer me this question. Why are signing loan players for the development squad. This guy Philliskirk is a Chelsea player. We are paying his wages to develop him for Chelsea. Nice set up for them....we pay him, develop him and Chelsea sell him on to another club. What are we getting anything out of it? He's nowhere near the 1st team!!!

Without knowing the details of the deal, we can't really say. For all we know, it's a 'try before you buy' deal, and we have a good price agreed. Would this make it a good idea?

Seriously!? I think we now know why these lads normally get to strut their stuff "behind closed doors". It doesn't bode well if this is the basis of next years League One team as mentioned above.

Still at least Bent and Vokes will have got another valuable hour under their belts to attain full fitness and assist with the fight against relegation. Oh wait, they didn't play did they!

Oh Carroll!

Was it definitely Roy Carroll? Says Duberry in net on O/S, is he the new Esrom Nyandoro?

Yes, it appears that it was Roy Carroll. Can somebody remind me why we extended Richard Wright's contract at a time when he was out injured and hadn't (still hasn't) played all season!?

Barnsley's Reserve team, sorry "Development Squad" seem to doing very well. 13 goals in two games.

http://www.barnsley-chronicle.co.uk...ght-carroll-despair-as-reserves-thrash-blades

Wednesday 2nd March 2011
Steven Bennett hit a hat-trick as Barnsley reserves thrashed Sheffield United reserves 6-1 after trialist goalkeeper Roy Carroll was sent off for the Blades on Wednesday.

John Stones and Bennett put the Reds 2-0 ahead after seven minutes but United pulled one back through McAllister on nine.

Carroll then brought down Stones in the area and saw red. Bennett tucked away the penalty past the substitute goalkeeper.

Stones made it 4-1 just before the break and, in the second half, Bennett completed his hat-trick before Reuben Noble-Lazarus hit the sixth.

The result comes two weeks after the second string thrashed another local rival in a 7-0 win over Rotherham.

I think Adams said something about this in an interview on RS shortly after we signed Philliskirk. Although it was all sorted before Adams came to the club, apparently Chelsea wouldn't let him have a trial with us without taking him on loan. Presumably that means we're interested in signing him, but want a look first.

Might have got some facts wrong but that's about the gist of it.

Useless Daily Mirror, Odense are in Denmark. He was actually in top form over here and I think well worth a shout, which I incidentally wrote about 3 months on here so it is funny to see him turn up for a trial. Give him a couple of games to find his feet. Does anyone know if the goals were actually his fault? The sending off can happy to anyone so I don't think that we should discard him just because of this.

Useless Daily Mirror, Odense are in Denmark. He was actually in top form over here and I think well worth a shout, which I incidentally wrote about 3 months on here so it is funny to see him turn up for a trial. Give him a couple of games to find his feet. Does anyone know if the goals were actually his fault? The sending off can happy to anyone so I don't think that we should discard him just because of this.

I remembered your post when reading about his travails on the OS.

SUFC - The destroyer of all talent, the enemy of promise and the graveyard of careers.... :)

Do you think Port Vale reserves (fixture next Wed) will take Adams back to the North Midlands with them on the bus???

...because we have a development squad.

This I think is a great idea. I'm guessing that the cost of using the stadium is too high for such a low interest fixture though. Of course, there is nothing stopping the fans from going to the matches.

---------- Post added at 03:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:10 PM ----------

Without knowing the details of the deal, we can't really say. For all we know, it's a 'try before you buy' deal, and we have a good price agreed. Would this make it a good idea?

I was under the impression that he was on loan as a form of trial, as Chelsea preferred him to be loaned to us than on trial. Think it has been mentioned on here in a previous thread a while ago. I may be wrong.

Back
Top Bottom