Quick Chelsea analysis

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Bergen Blade

Reaction score
Chelsea formation and game plan:

- - - - - - - - - - Mendy - - - - - - - -

- - - Azpilicueta Christensen Rüdiger - - -

James - - - Jorginho Kovacic - - - - Chillwell

.- - - -Mount - - - - - - - Werner
.- -- - - - - - - Giroud - - - - - - - - - - - -

A holding midfield duo playmaking from deep. Danger men: Mount and Werner.

Chelsea carried out the same move that a few teams have done against us with considerable success, i.e. pushing wide men high up the pitch for them to occupy our wing backs. They didn't particularly attack a lot down the flanks, that's not the aim. Instead teams hope that our midfield three will have too much space to cover. Chelsea hoped they'd be busy closing down their wide central defenders, and consequently struggle to get close to their holding playmakers, let alone keeping track of their source of creativity in Werner and Mount. They probably imagined they'd have a lot of the ball, pass through whoever we had up front and let Mount and Werner run riot in the space between our defence and midfield, and supporting Giroud.

Blades formation and game plan:

.- - - - Burke - McBurnie - - - - - - -
.- Fleck - Norwood - Lundstram - - - -
Lowe - - - Bryan Egan Basham - - - - Bogle
- - - - - - - - - Ramsdale - - - - - - - - - - - -

Our tweak of the day was to play more of a man marking system at the back. We realise what teams are doing to our wing backs. We can't leave the opposition wide men alone, so they were more or less occupied. The problem was then how are we going to stop their playmakers, while also restricting their danger men in the attacking midfield positions. We didn't want Norwood trying to catch up with Werner.

As said we turned to man marking. Basham focused on Werner. Mount was Bryan's man. Egan dealt with Giroud. It worked for a good while. Basham and Bryan did well and made a number of interceptions and good challenges. Giroud didn't get much service, as Werner and Mount were challenged quickly and aggressively when they thought they'd been clever to find space behind our midfielders.

1612824630009.png

Our midfielders were quite happy not having to chase back after Werner and Mount, so could put more pressure on Chelsea's deeper playmakers. It worked pretty well too, Jorginho and Kovacic struggled to get good passing moves going. McBurnie and Burke were also closing their centre halves down well, and I think we'd singled out Rüdiger as someone who'd be likely to dwell on the ball and maybe allow Burke to win the ball in good positions. Burke's pace in behind and McBurnie's aerial strength was something we hoped would get us a goal.

For about 30 minutes this worked well. Although Werner looked up for it Chelsea hadn't troubled Ramsdale. There had been a couple of scares, but we'd dealt with them.

A problem with man marking system is that there can be poor rescue plans. If one player slips up, there's not always a team mate in a covering position to help out. It was quite difficult for Basham to know when to stay in position and when to push up to challenge Werner. Seconds before they scored Basham had pushed up and left a gap behind him. Werner ran into that gap as Chilwell played him in - forcing Egan to leave his man Giroud and challenge Werner - forcing Bryan to leave his man to mark Giroud - leaving Mount unchallenged to finish.

I thought the goal was coming. Chelsea were starting to find a bit more time on the ball and our closing down dropped a little bit. That's when it becomes really difficult, especially against top class players. I felt the corner that they got a bit earlier when their man was ten yards offside played a part in them building momentum. Annoying, maybe even key.

It's harsh to criticise the tactics though. Chelsea came with a plan. We realised what they were trying to do and counter acted reasonably well, in a first half where we had one very good early chance, almost a penalty and a couple of other good efforts. A number of other tactical setups may have given a lot worse results.

In terms of player ratings I also think a lot of fans have been harsh. I thought it was a good effort, a game plan that was ambitious and different, but worth a try and it wasn't a million miles from working.

Thank you for that. I too felt we were a bit unlucky and weren't too far off. I had been persuaded otherwise by other people's opinions, but I always value your contributions.
Agree yorksblade Bergens tactical breakdowns are superb .picks apart ! but constructive at the same time.

Spot on again BB. Our front two started really well and were working hard at pressing, but then seemed to run out of steam and reverted to sauntering around and letting runners go.
It's a bit like the proverbial pack of cards stacked high, once it begins to fall, the lot goes down.
Shame, as I thought Chelsea were very ordinary. They'll do well to finish mid table on that showing.

Good stuff Bergen.

You have only to look though at the start point for that goal

SUFC V CFC 1.JPG

And the defensive positioning being as Basham had been pulled forward to check Werner. Once the ball is with Chilwell, there's a massive channel opened up behind Basham which all evening Chelsea were stretching and playing balls into. Look at the positioning of our light-duties midfield. They are tracking no-one - and Chelsea are in attack mode, likely to play in Werner who is already mobile behind Basham. Why is Norwood pointing, and what at? If he suspects an overload and Bryan being pulled free of Mount, why is he or Fleck not covering?

Next slide, please ...

SUFC V CFC 2.JPG

Now Egan sees Basham is done for pace and moves forward, leaving Giroud for Bryan, opening up a fucking great hole into which Mount is ready to receive. Lowe is still conscious of James behind him, but moves to cover because Fleck and Norwood are basically spectating. They've started to run but are looking at the developing challenges of Basham and Egan on Werner, not the real danger of Mount being left unmarked to shoot on goal. It's really poor vision.

Next slide please ...

SUFC V CFC 3.JPG
Both Basham and Egan have been drawn to Werner, Bryan has tracked Giroud, Lowe - late - sees the imminent danger and sprints across and Norwood and Fleck are absolutely nowhere to be seen. Mount can't believe he's got the time and space to run onto a straight ground pass and clip it past Ramsdale into the bottom corner.

It's just poor footballing vision, and it's the stuff Chelsea expose you for and punish you for. Two midfielders in the vicinity who could have - should have - made a world of difference there and stopped Mount getting a clean strike on that ball at least.

pommpey

So
Good stuff Bergen.

View attachment 105133

And the defensive positioning being as Basham had been pulled forward to check Werner. Once the ball is with Chilwell, there's a massive channel opened up behind Basham which all evening Chelsea were stretching and playing balls into. Look at the positioning of our light-duties midfield. They are tracking no-one - and Chelsea are in attack mode, likely to play in Werner who is already mobile behind Basham. Why is Norwood pointing, and what at? If he suspects an overload and Bryan being pulled free of Mount, why is he or Fleck not covering?

Next slide, please ...

View attachment 105135

Now Egan sees Basham is done for pace and moves forward, leaving Giroud for Bryan, opening up a fucking great hole into which Mount is ready to receive. Lowe is still conscious of James behind him, but moves to cover because Fleck and Norwood are basically spectating. They've started to run but are looking at the developing challenges of Basham and Egan on Werner, not the real danger of Mount being left unmarked to shoot on goal. It's really poor vision.

Next slide please ...

View attachment 105137
Both Basham and Egan have been drawn to Werner, Bryan has tracked Giroud, Lowe - late - sees the imminent danger and sprints across and Norwood and Fleck are absolutely nowhere to be seen. Mount can't believe he's got the time and space to run onto a straight ground pass and clip it past Ramsdale into the bottom corner.

It's just poor footballing vision, and it's the stuff Chelsea expose you for and punish you for. Two midfielders in the vicinity who could have - should have - made a world of difference there and stopped Mount getting a clean strike on that ball at least.

pommpey

So 4 things i can gather from that...

Bogle not tight enough on Chilwell initially
Basham starting to show his age on the turn, outpaced by Werner.
Norwood doing nothing but flapping his arms around
Fleck too slow to react.

Dont think you can blame Egan, Bryan or as they all had to move across to cover the players the midfield cant be arsed with...
Dont think you can blame Lowe, if he goes in too hard to Mount, then its an easy slide ball across to James for an easy finish.

Basically Norwood, Fleck and Lundstram helped out with defensive duties the equivalent of fuck all.

So

So 4 things i can gather from that...

Bogle not tight enough on Chilwell initially
Basham starting to show his age on the turn, outpaced by Werner.
Norwood doing nothing but flapping his arms around
Fleck too slow to react.

Dont think you can blame Egan, Bryan or as they all had to move across to cover the players the midfield cant be arsed with...
Dont think you can blame Lowe, if he goes in too hard to Mount, then its an easy slide ball across to James for an easy finish.

Basically Norwood, Fleck and Lundstram helped out with defensive duties the equivalent of fuck all.

The midfield, and it's inherent weaknesses, poor footballing ability and lack of commitment and coherence is the resultant of many of our losses this season. WHU at home, Leicester at home, Spurs, Everton, Palace away and many many more opposition moves through that weak, outnumbered threesome costs us so much. Once in a blue moon we play a team with a midfield which is equal, or slightly poorer than them and everyone loses their shit over it. Man United's midfield was really, really off colour at OT and Man Citeh's lacked key players. Newcastle were dismal and when Lunny was redded at Brighton and we went 4-4-1, we looked bloody capable, even with Norwood.

The other night they just switched the fuck off, not looking at the dynamic tactical situation unveiling before their eyes in about seven seconds of Chelsea's route to goal.

pommpey

Not wanting to defend Norwood and Fleck too much on this one, but I wonder whether they’re playing to instruction? That is, have CWAK told them to stay ‘free’ on the edge to pick up a half clearance and start a counter attack? It happens so frequently that I can’t believe the management would let them get away with it. In some cases, it certainly looks as though Norwood and Fleck are doing their best not to catch up.

If that is the case, surely it would be better for just one of them to hang outside, and for the other to get in the thick of it, picking someone up, blocking a shot etc. That’s what tended to happen last season. Something has changed - either tactically or through sloppiness.

Not wanting to defend Norwood and Fleck too much on this one, but I wonder whether they’re playing to instruction? That is, have CWAK told them to stay ‘free’ on the edge to pick up a half clearance and start a counter attack? It happens so frequently that I can’t believe the management would let them get away with it. In some cases, it certainly looks as though Norwood and Fleck are doing their best not to catch up.

If that is the case, surely it would be better for just one of them to hang outside, and for the other to get in the thick of it, picking someone up, blocking a shot etc. That’s what tended to happen last season. Something has changed - either tactically or through sloppiness.

I doubt it. Norwood is supposed to be the central 'dropped' midfielder. He shows this by hanging back and receiving the ball from the back three to do his 'Norwood plays some lovely balls' schtick, which everyone cites as his 'talent'. With Lundstram high on the right touchline, Fleck and Norwood pulled across somewhat and Chelsea now threatening to bypass Bogle and put him out of the game, it is incumbent on the midfielders to provide defensive support and cover. Look at where they are and what their contribution is to that Chelsea move - where they start and where they finish. Mount covers about the same amount of turf they do yet ends up scoring. I don't doubt that at one of the debriefs to that game, that sequence will be replayed and frozen and CWAK will be asking the questions of Norwood and Fleck (both of whom, some have given flattering marks out of ten by some) "what were you doing during this move?" The answer, as illustrated, for both of them, is 'nothing', 'marking space' and 'making up the numbers'.

It's just another damning reason why Wilder should change this damned silly, beatable system of 5-3-2. Having underperforming and incapable players in midfield is one thing. Having them there in meagre numbers is suicide. Even if CW went to the Warnock away daftness of 4-5-1 or 5-4-1, I could understand. It stops the massacre to some extent and gives us at least a chance, taking one from attack is no biggy anyway as we can't fucking score.

pommpey

Have to agree with the comments about our midfield. It's been very noticeable this season the number of goals where our defence is out numbered, due to the opponents midfield getting beyond ours. We are just too slow in this area, particularly Norwood. Eze goal for Palace, West Brom goal and Mount's goal are just 3 examples off the top of my head.

I doubt it. Norwood is supposed to be the central 'dropped' midfielder. He shows this by hanging back and receiving the ball from the back three to do his 'Norwood plays some lovely balls' schtick, which everyone cites as his 'talent'. With Lundstram high on the right touchline, Fleck and Norwood pulled across somewhat and Chelsea now threatening to bypass Bogle and put him out of the game, it is incumbent on the midfielders to provide defensive support and cover. Look at where they are and what their contribution is to that Chelsea move - where they start and where they finish. Mount covers about the same amount of turf they do yet ends up scoring. I don't doubt that at one of the debriefs to that game, that sequence will be replayed and frozen and CWAK will be asking the questions of Norwood and Fleck (both of whom, some have given flattering marks out of ten by some) "what were you doing during this move?" The answer, as illustrated, for both of them, is 'nothing', 'marking space' and 'making up the numbers'.

It's just another damning reason why Wilder should change this damned silly, beatable system of 5-3-2. Having underperforming and incapable players in midfield is one thing. Having them there in meagre numbers is suicide. Even if CW went to the Warnock away daftness of 4-5-1 or 5-4-1, I could understand. It stops the massacre to some extent and gives us at least a chance, taking one from attack is no biggy anyway as we can't fucking score.

pommpey

Totally agree, but my point is that it’s hard to tell if it is just sheer laziness or whether it’s a (very odd) deliberate instruction.

If it’s laziness, I can’t believe that Wilder wouldn’t have done something about it much earlier (as you say, this has happened frequently this season). Fleck has always had a blind spot for being a yard behind people who break (he was the same even in League 1). Norwood was very good defensive cover last year, but something has changed this time around. It’s either his attitude/fitness or some peculiar instruction.

I don't analyse what we've done after the match and couldn't ever dream of going into the detail that someone like Bergen Blade does, it's good stuff.

One thing I do notice though is that when they press us we absolutely shit our pants and give them the ball back. When we press them they just play the ball around us.

This wasn't happening last season, I can recall a good few occasions where we pressed, won the ball and turned the possession into a chance or goal. We just don't do anything with the same intensity anymore.

When I watched the game I saw Burke nearly get to the ball about 50 times with a desperate 5 yard sprint as he got close and McB ambling about between defenders, looking busy but not actually achieving much.

I always bang on about Leeds and I've probably seen a combined 150 minutes of their games this season (that includes the 90+ against us), but they seem to press with intensity that we could only dream of this season. Why can't we do it anymore? The answer isn't that we've been sussed out either.

Totally agree, but my point is that it’s hard to tell if it is just sheer laziness or whether it’s a (very odd) deliberate instruction.

If it’s laziness, I can’t believe that Wilder wouldn’t have done something about it much earlier (as you say, this has happened frequently this season). Fleck has always had a blind spot for being a yard behind people who break (he was the same even in League 1). Norwood was very good defensive cover last year, but something has changed this time around. It’s either his attitude/fitness or some peculiar instruction.

I think with both (including Lundstram) is that last year we lucked out. Oppositions were more wary of us and the threat of the overlapping Cb was always in their mindsets. We did shape higher in the pitch last year and did that typical Sheffield United 'up and at 'em' thing with the cutlass between our teeth, swinging from the rigging. But since lockdown two things have happened:

a. Oppositions learned to soak up the attacking CB strategy with the four man block
b. Confidence in the team has depleted - especially since Jack was out of the team and the left side extensively weakened

All of the team have extremely low self belief now and as I keep saying, it's a good job they aren't playing week after week in front of an unforgiving BL crowd. That would have been disastrous. I couldn't see all four sides of the ground making enough noise to get the air under their wings, especially when the likes of our midfield are looking so gutless and weak and effectively having no impact going forward or defending.

In short, we've been found out and punished for it.

And Wilder refusing to change things is compounding that.

pommpey

One thing I do notice though is that when they press us we absolutely shit our pants and give them the ball back. When we press them they just play the ball around us.

I think probably the biggest improvement in recent weeks is that this isn't happening nearly as much as it was. Earlier in the season it was incredibly frustrating that we couldn't manage even very short spells of possession. Maybe it's the confidence of having won a few games but I think we've been loads better at this recently. We were poor in terms of keeping possession towards the end of the Chelsea game but I think that was a slightly different issue - combination of fatigue, loss of shape due to subs and maybe the pressure of chasing the game.

I think with both (including Lundstram) is that last year we lucked out. Oppositions were more wary of us and the threat of the overlapping Cb was always in their mindsets.

Pretty much this... Once teams realized that shutting down our overlapping CB's wasnt the key, but instead to put pressure on our central midfielders (eg Norwood), things started to come unstuck fast.

Pretty much this... Once teams realized that shutting down our overlapping CB's wasnt the key, but instead to put pressure on our central midfielders (eg Norwood), things started to come unstuck fast.
premier teams are targetting norwood as our weak link but who else do we put in there ? and we constantly get done for pace

Bergen Blade Top analysis, thank you. Have you noticed recently a slight change in our midfield three. Whereas previously it's been fairly set in having Fleck and Lundstram either side of Norwood at the base, it's felt more recently that Lundstram has occasionally dropped into the middle and stayed there for a couple of passages of play. It's not something I've been able to re-watch but it's something I've noticed in the past couple of games, and I wondered if it was an attempt to get someone more athletic in the middle at times. Or it could just be Lundstram and Norwood being on a slightly better wavelength as to covering for each other.

premier teams are targetting norwood as our weak link but who else do we put in there ? and we constantly get done for pace

Four in midfield. It's clear that Lundstram - Norwood - Fleck are very, very vulnerable, especially when the ball is past their line.

We have the bandwidth to play

-------------------------------------------Ramsdale----------------------------------------

----Baldock-----------------Basham<------(or Jags)-------->Egan------Bryan/Stevens--

---Bogle------------------Lundstram------------Norwood/Fleck------------Osborn/Fleck

-------------------Sharp/McBurnie/Burke/McGoldrick/Brewster/Mousset----------------
(any combination)

if all are fit. Yeah, it's 'boring 4-4-2' but that formation is damned effective and gives the numbers in midfield to not be outpassed or outthought, especially if Wilder insists like he does that we maintain a rigid shape at all times, even when playing against more adaptive and dynamic formations. It is all about retaining possession and transiting from defence into attack fluidly, not booting it long to McBunie

pommpey

Chelsea formation and game plan:

- - - - - - - - - - Mendy - - - - - - - -

- - - Azpilicueta Christensen Rüdiger - - -

James - - - Jorginho Kovacic - - - - Chillwell

.- - - -Mount - - - - - - - Werner
.- -- - - - - - - Giroud - - - - - - - - - - - -

A holding midfield duo playmaking from deep. Danger men: Mount and Werner.

Chelsea carried out the same move that a few teams have done against us with considerable success, i.e. pushing wide men high up the pitch for them to occupy our wing backs. They didn't particularly attack a lot down the flanks, that's not the aim. Instead teams hope that our midfield three will have too much space to cover. Chelsea hoped they'd be busy closing down their wide central defenders, and consequently struggle to get close to their holding playmakers, let alone keeping track of their source of creativity in Werner and Mount. They probably imagined they'd have a lot of the ball, pass through whoever we had up front and let Mount and Werner run riot in the space between our defence and midfield, and supporting Giroud.

Blades formation and game plan:

.- - - - Burke - McBurnie - - - - - - -
.- Fleck - Norwood - Lundstram - - - -
Lowe - - - Bryan Egan Basham - - - - Bogle
- - - - - - - - - Ramsdale - - - - - - - - - - - -

Our tweak of the day was to play more of a man marking system at the back. We realise what teams are doing to our wing backs. We can't leave the opposition wide men alone, so they were more or less occupied. The problem was then how are we going to stop their playmakers, while also restricting their danger men in the attacking midfield positions. We didn't want Norwood trying to catch up with Werner.

As said we turned to man marking. Basham focused on Werner. Mount was Bryan's man. Egan dealt with Giroud. It worked for a good while. Basham and Bryan did well and made a number of interceptions and good challenges. Giroud didn't get much service, as Werner and Mount were challenged quickly and aggressively when they thought they'd been clever to find space behind our midfielders.

View attachment 105129

Our midfielders were quite happy not having to chase back after Werner and Mount, so could put more pressure on Chelsea's deeper playmakers. It worked pretty well too, Jorginho and Kovacic struggled to get good passing moves going. McBurnie and Burke were also closing their centre halves down well, and I think we'd singled out Rüdiger as someone who'd be likely to dwell on the ball and maybe allow Burke to win the ball in good positions. Burke's pace in behind and McBurnie's aerial strength was something we hoped would get us a goal.

For about 30 minutes this worked well. Although Werner looked up for it Chelsea hadn't troubled Ramsdale. There had been a couple of scares, but we'd dealt with them.

A problem with man marking system is that there can be poor rescue plans. If one player slips up, there's not always a team mate in a covering position to help out. It was quite difficult for Basham to know when to stay in position and when to push up to challenge Werner. Seconds before they scored Basham had pushed up and left a gap behind him. Werner ran into that gap as Chilwell played him in - forcing Egan to leave his man Giroud and challenge Werner - forcing Bryan to leave his man to mark Giroud - leaving Mount unchallenged to finish.

I thought the goal was coming. Chelsea were starting to find a bit more time on the ball and our closing down dropped a little bit. That's when it becomes really difficult, especially against top class players. I felt the corner that they got a bit earlier when their man was ten yards offside played a part in them building momentum. Annoying, maybe even key.

It's harsh to criticise the tactics though. Chelsea came with a plan. We realised what they were trying to do and counter acted reasonably well, in a first half where we had one very good early chance, almost a penalty and a couple of other good efforts. A number of other tactical setups may have given a lot worse results.

In terms of player ratings I also think a lot of fans have been harsh. I thought it was a good effort, a game plan that was ambitious and different, but worth a try and it wasn't a million miles from working.
Great post.

I thought we did alright. What I found interesting is at points you actually saw Norwood pressing very high up the pitch, as the furthest forward of the three. Presume this was his lack of mobility would be less exposed by a ball over the top and Lundstram / Fleck are a little more mobile & alert to this.

Chelsea have huge quality and I thought a 2-1 defeat was by no means the disgrace some people pointed to.

Bergen Blade Top analysis, thank you. Have you noticed recently a slight change in our midfield three. Whereas previously it's been fairly set in having Fleck and Lundstram either side of Norwood at the base, it's felt more recently that Lundstram has occasionally dropped into the middle and stayed there for a couple of passages of play. It's not something I've been able to re-watch but it's something I've noticed in the past couple of games, and I wondered if it was an attempt to get someone more athletic in the middle at times. Or it could just be Lundstram and Norwood being on a slightly better wavelength as to covering for each other.

I noticed that also - they'd swapped positions a couple of times.

pommpey

Four in midfield. It's clear that Lundstram - Norwood - Fleck are very, very vulnerable, especially when the ball is past their line.

We have the bandwidth to play

-------------------------------------------Ramsdale----------------------------------------

----Baldock-----------------Basham<------(or Jags)-------->Egan------Bryan/Stevens--

---Bogle------------------Lundstram------------Norwood/Fleck------------Osborn/Fleck

-------------------Sharp/McBurnie/Burke/McGoldrick/Brewster/Mousset----------------
(any combination)

if all are fit. Yeah, it's 'boring 4-4-2' but that formation is damned effective and gives the numbers in midfield to not be outpassed or outthought, especially if Wilder insists like he does that we maintain a rigid shape at all times, even when playing against more adaptive and dynamic formations. It is all about retaining possession and transiting from defence into attack fluidly, not booting it long to McBunie

pommpey
442 would enable us to get baldock and bogle down that right hand side and so would 45 1and i would love us to go 4 at the back but chris just wont play it

I think with both (including Lundstram) is that last year we lucked out. Oppositions were more wary of us and the threat of the overlapping Cb was always in their mindsets. We did shape higher in the pitch last year and did that typical Sheffield United 'up and at 'em' thing with the cutlass between our teeth, swinging from the rigging. But since lockdown two things have happened:

a. Oppositions learned to soak up the attacking CB strategy with the four man block
b. Confidence in the team has depleted - especially since Jack was out of the team and the left side extensively weakened

All of the team have extremely low self belief now and as I keep saying, it's a good job they aren't playing week after week in front of an unforgiving BL crowd. That would have been disastrous. I couldn't see all four sides of the ground making enough noise to get the air under their wings, especially when the likes of our midfield are looking so gutless and weak and effectively having no impact going forward or defending.

In short, we've been found out and punished for it.

And Wilder refusing to change things is compounding that.

pommpey
Just dont get it !! numerous posters on here supporting what Bergan highlights
In the initial post.
It's not rocket science where we are going wrong is it !! stands out really when broken down but keeping and making the same tactical mistakes ? or is it the players unable to carry out what they are there to do.
Either way we dont do anything to cut out the weakness,I beleave it's just lack of mobility in midfield allied to nievity even with experienced players like we have in midfield.
It's a pity the pundits who follow us in the media havnt got the technical knowledge of the game to put this to Wilder as he refuses to change the shape to maybe give us more legs in midfield.
Pity Bergen isn't a pundit to put it to Wilder

Good stuff Bergen.

View attachment 105133

Next slide, please ...

View attachment 105135

Next slide please ...

View attachment 105137

pommpey
As Bergen said, we went for a man to man system. Our midfield 3 were close to who theyvwere supposed to be marking, Kovacic and Jorginho.

If Norwood and Fleck sprinted back like you suggest they should every time Chilwell gets the ball, they would leave the Chelsea playmakers in acres of space.

Basham made a slight mistake. Maybe Egan, Bryan, Bogle or Lowe could do slightly better, but that's being harsh. Why not just accept it was a quality goal, the weight on the pass from Chilwell was perfect, 9/10 Werner would have to turn back out.

As Bergen said, we went for a man to man system. Our midfield 3 were close to who theyvwere supposed to be marking, Kovacic and Jorginho.

If Norwood and Fleck sprinted back like you suggest they should every time Chilwell gets the ball, they would leave the Chelsea playmakers in acres of space.

Basham made a slight mistake. Maybe Egan, Bryan, Bogle or Lowe could do slightly better, but that's being harsh. Why not just accept it was a quality goal, the weight on the pass from Chilwell was perfect, 9/10 Werner would have to turn back out.

You can stand clapping that pass all you want. Norwood and Fleck are nowhere near any of the players you cite, your argument therefore is a bit redundant. If Basham is out of position and the passs made to expose space behind the defence (and as you say, it was a good pass) it is the midfield's job to cover runners, not stand parking fresh air.

Can you see Norwood and Fleck doing anything else but doing nothing to prevent Mount getting into space to score? Both of them, and Mount have covered the same amount of space by the time Mount strikes the ball yet our two are nowhere near him.

pommpey

Good read Bergen Blade , I've never questioned how good we are organized and how our players stick to the plan. Last season we did win games against much better players due to our teamplay and hardly any injuries, this season we see the same teams, again with better players, adjusting better to our style, and hench we loose a fair bit more. Put Werner and Mount in our team sunday, and everything could easily be levelled out.

You can stand clapping that pass all you want. Norwood and Fleck are nowhere near any of the players you cite, your argument therefore is a bit redundant. If Basham is out of position and the passs made to expose space behind the defence (and as you say, it was a good pass) it is the midfield's job to cover runners, not stand parking fresh air.

Can you see Norwood and Fleck doing anything else but doing nothing to prevent Mount getting into space to score? Both of them, and Mount have covered the same amount of space by the time Mount strikes the ball yet our two are nowhere near him.

pommpey
Norwood and Fleck have begun to drop has Chilwell is playing forward, they are ready to press.

The alternative is to sit in a deep block. We chose to risk being exposed at the back to attempt to win the ball higher. Both tactics have advantages and disadvantages, it's not helpful to hammer us for taking a chance.

I think the attack is too quick for Norwood and Fleck to anticipate and cover the space Mount finds. They aren't faster than Chilwell's pass or Timo Werner.

The main problem with that goal is Basham gets caught the wrong side of Werner
Basham was never goal side of his man. If hes goal side Egan probably wouldnt have had to go over to cover and evrybody else colad have been with the man they were marking
The cover from midifeld was poor. We have a back five but Bogle is on a level with our midfield
Norwood and or Fleck should be trying to get back into the area and Lowe should have left his man to come into a more central position where the danger was

Back
Top Bottom