Quick analysis vs Millwall

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Bergen Blade

Reaction score
I think we expected a similar game to Stoke where had to break down a deep back five. McGoldrick got a start after his contribution, maybe also to add some muscle against a big side.

But with two forwards lacking pace, Millwall may have realised we didn't have much of a threat in behind, so they pressed us high up the pitch. We tried playing it out from the back, but we weren't comfortable at all. They pressed us and won the challenges and second balls. The ball never stuck up front, Osborn was marked out by a stronger and faster opponent in Leonard and MGW struggled to get involved. With their defence controlling our forwards, their midfield were free to push up and mark and attack Hourihane and Fleck.

So it was a struggle to get any sort of passing moves going. It would have been nice to have a bit more pace up front in situations like that, someone who could chase balls down the channels, stretch them a bit more and break the pattern of the game. Other teams are going to do this to us, so we have to be prepared. McGoldrick and Sharp have been great for us, but it may not be ideal to have them together up front any more. Of course McGoldrick did run through once, but this was an exception as they got sloppy.

SJ chose a different change, putting on Ndiaye for McGoldrick and playing a 4-1-4-1. This was risky - Fleck looked like our only midfielder on some occasions - but it did give us more players in advanced positions, which forced Millwall's midfielders to chase back a bit more and we finally found more space. We started creating chances and I felt confident we could get through them.

The sending off ruined our momentum, and we were too open until Norwood came on and we changed to a 4-3-1-1. This gave us an extra man in central midfield, a bit more control and we kept more possession than normal for a team with ten men, also threatening on occasions. We were brave, went for the win, but they were also dangerous on the break and I felt nervous every time they had a set piece. In the end we were knackered and I thought Fleck struggled to run at all, moments before they scored.

Most teams take their foot of the gas when they go down to ten men while drawing. We had such an attacking side out when it happened that I'm not sure it would have worked. We lost Bogle at the same time, so only had one more sub to make. Clearly Millwall are struggling for creativity and may have struggled to pass through us. But given their physical/aerial superiority it would have been risky to defend deep and let them put crosses in and win set pieces in our third.

Great analysis. I was confused by the early sub when we were already getting over run in midfield but it did seem to be working. Until the sending off that is.

Genuinely didn’t realise Hourihane was on the pitch.

I don’t blame Slav for the result. I blame MGW for late challenge and an attempt at diving which will never go down well at Bramall Lane. Just pack it in MGW. Not welcome here.

I also blame Didzy for not scoring two chances which I could’ve put away after several pints.

Agree with this. Such an attacking side going down to 10 we always needed to shore it up, but still had some good chances to win the game

Millwall were a team of big, strong, fast, physical lads, we were really up against it all night, and with 10 men, we did well to last as long as we did.

I would have to watch again, but surely poor marking let them score the second goal?

I think we expected a similar game to Stoke where had to break down a deep back five. McGoldrick got a start after his contribution, maybe also to add some muscle against a big side.

But with two forwards lacking pace, Millwall may have realised we didn't have much of a threat in behind, so they pressed us high up the pitch. We tried playing it out from the back, but we weren't comfortable at all. They pressed us and won the challenges and second balls. The ball never stuck up front, Osborn was marked out by a stronger and faster opponent in Leonard and MGW struggled to get involved. With their defence controlling our forwards, their midfield were free to push up and mark and attack Hourihane and Fleck.

So it was a struggle to get any sort of passing moves going. It would have been nice to have a bit more pace up front in situations like that, someone who could chase balls down the channels, stretch them a bit more and break the pattern of the game. Other teams are going to do this to us, so we have to be prepared. McGoldrick and Sharp have been great for us, but it may not be ideal to have them together up front any more. Of course McGoldrick did run through once, but this was an exception as they got sloppy.

SJ chose a different change, putting on Ndiaye for McGoldrick and playing a 4-1-4-1. This was risky - Fleck looked like our only midfielder on some occasions - but it did give us more players in advanced positions, which forced Millwall's midfielders to chase back a bit more and we finally found more space. We started creating chances and I felt confident we could get through them.

The sending off ruined our momentum, and we were too open until Norwood came on and we changed to a 4-3-1-1. This gave us an extra man in central midfield, a bit more control and we kept more possession than normal for a team with ten men, also threatening on occasions. We were brave, went for the win, but they were also dangerous on the break and I felt nervous every time they had a set piece. In the end we were knackered and I thought Fleck struggled to run at all, moments before they scored.

Most teams take their foot of the gas when they go down to ten men while drawing. We had such an attacking side out when it happened that I'm not sure it would have worked. We lost Bogle at the same time, so only had one more sub to make. Clearly Millwall are struggling for creativity and may have struggled to pass through us. But given their physical/aerial superiority it would have been risky to defend deep and let them put crosses in and win set pieces in our third.
Hi. You are over analysing. Football is not a complicated game. We don’t play we tempo, no urgency, no pace, no aggression. We strolled around for the most part tonight. Forget about refs, tactics etc. All irrelevant. You have to want to win. And be hungry. And this shower of shit aren’t.

Good stuff Bergen. We were appalling in the first 30 but we were obviously starting to dominate until the sending off. The effort levels were excellent in the second half too and I was happy that we continued to attack.

That first 30 was a disgrace but the rest of the game was actually ok for me. We are still a way off the top 6 but I don't think that will change until the majority of players do unfortunately

Hi. You are over analysing. Football is not a complicated game. We don’t play we tempo, no urgency, no pace, no aggression. We strolled around for the most part tonight. Forget about refs, tactics etc. All irrelevant. You have to want to win. And be hungry. And this shower of shit aren’t.

You are underestimating yourself. You mention (lack of) tempo, urgency, aggression. These are tactical characteristics that are valued and emphasised differently.

It's possible that SJ highlighted different things in his preparation. He may have expected an opposition that came to defend deep, and in numbers, so maybe he spoke about patience, overloads, getting players into certain positions, looking to exploit space in certain areas, etc. We don't know.

Teams have different things that they do well. What all teams want is to make the game about what they do well.

Our ambition seems to be dominating possession, we want to get good passing moves going and try to be as direct as we can if the opposition can't keep up. We've got players with good technical ability, and that's what we want games to be about.

Millwall are different. They are one of the biggest sides in the division with most players well over 6 feet. Their players are brave, hard working and they like a tackle. They are mediocre when it comes to creativity and skill (Wallace is their exception). Their ambition when they plays teams like ours, is to make the game about challenges and tackles.

They certainly succeeded in doing that first half. They pushed high up, pressed us aggressively and when we tried to find a teammate with a forward pass, he was challenged by an opponent who was bigger and stronger. They then picked up the second ball, over and over again. Consequently we struggled to get anywhere and could hardly get any sort of passing going.

I don't think we expected that, we certainly couldn't handle it. We're not fabulous defensively and we looked uncomfortable when we realised we had more defending to do than we expected.

When it is like that it is easy to make the assumption that players don't try hard enough. I'm sure it looked like that and of course there are games where one side is more up for it. It is rather simplistic to just look at that side of the game though.

What I suggest you take into consideration is that a tactical substitution after 38 minutes suddenly changed the pattern of the game. I doubt it was just a psychological effect that made players wake up. With both McGoldrick and Ndiaye running into space behind their midfield, they were forced to back off more. This gave more space to other players and our passing started working again. It could have backfired, but it was a risk worth taking as we were struggling so bad.

While understanding the tactical points I think we have a lack of leadership on the pitch especially in midfield. Someone to grab the game. Get on the ball and dictate. We struggle against certain teams because of a lack of leadership and because some of the players are not up to standard for the role they are playing.

Maybe it was one of those games when anything that could go wrong, did go wrong (some of it self-inflicted, admittedly).

Back
Top Bottom