Promotion feels different

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Yeah, it seems more relief this time around, more normal.
The last disaster of a season is still on my mind, but looking at how much of a muchness it is down at the bottom of the Prem gives me hope.
If we don't invest then we are certainly doomed and the vibes I get are telling me we won't be unless a new owner comes in swiftly.
It wont be pretty next season with VAR etc, but if we had stayed down we may have ended up without a club to support.
Save expense of VAR at our matches we know all decisions will be against us.

Weerz all the last game drama and exploding excitement that we got promoted with a added time winner at Birmingham to secure promotion by a point.

Promoted with three games to play,blah.

It's possibly a bit less exciting this time, for the reasons of expectation and necessity that other have already said.

In my case (and I suspect many others) I was confident that it was done and dusted months ago, so mentally had already got the PL in my mind. Some seemed convinced the other way however, and I suspect that the over riding feeling for them is relief.

In any case, I think we can all just stand back and admire the incredible job that PH, SM and JL have done under very trying circumstances. That alone makes this promotion stand out from the others.

It does feel like a strange promotion season. Performances have been mixed, however we've ground out a lot of close wins, particularly away from home and at places that historically we wouldn't maybe expect to win, Swansea, Bristol City and Norwich to name three. There's probably half a dozen games where we played really well, Blackburn, Reading and of course Burnley at home, I'd add Preston at home but the pressure was off then and maybe we had a couple of 'comfortable' away wins at Preston and WBA.

I think the big differences between this season and 2018/19 are that firstly, we were expected to be up there with a big(ish) squad and we'd still got the parachute payments. However I don't think that should detract from the fantastic job the management and staff have done. Secondly, we've had this supposed impending financial disaster if we didn't get promoted so it's felt like we've had to rather than it be something nice and unexpected, so it's a relief.

The 2018/19 season seemed to have more drama as we built momentum in the second half of the season. We were 7th before we played Derby on Boxing Day in 2018.

If I were given a million pound house I wouldn't be able to afford it's upkeep.
Good point , me too , but you'd sell it to someone who could.
Unfortunately we haven't been able to attract a buyer with real wealth.
I'm hoping our PL status might overcome our unfashionable image ?

If I were given a million pound house I wouldn't be able to afford it's upkeep.
Last chance on Omaze tonite for the seafront house in Cornwall.

H14_Jo_Still_03.jpg

I'm hoping our PL status might overcome our unfashionable image ?

Though it didn't change much the last 3 times.

The odd season in the PL can present as many problems as benefits, if we had failed to win promotion this season I suspect we would have struggled in the Championship next season.

As in, all the moneys gone.

As for wealthy owners you don't need to look too far to see what the 'wrong' owner can do to your club.

When do the 3rd division play offs start ;)

Though it didn't change much the last 3 times.

The odd season in the PL can present as many problems as benefits, if we had failed to win promotion this season I suspect we would have struggled in the Championship next season.

As in, all the moneys gone.

As for wealthy owners you don't need to look too far to see what the 'wrong' owner can do to your club.

When do the 3rd division play offs start ;)
there were strange circumstances as unlucky again united only got to play only 15 home games in 2 seasons with crowds and covid meant we got a lot less money than we had planned for as did all clubs , but because we didnt have any money in the first place it hit the 3 promoted clubs the hardest and lost gate money for guarenteed 30 k gates

It was strange walking down to the The Lane before the West Brom game , everyone seemed quite calm & subdued ?
Not sure if as said before it hasn’t been that long between promotion campaigns & also a tilt in the play offs last season ?
It certainly didn’t detract from the atmosphere inside , great night where for once we did what he had to do .
One of the most memorable in recent times ⚔️

It was strange walking down to the The Lane before the West Brom game , everyone seemed quite calm & subdued ?
Not sure if as said before it hasn’t been that long between promotion campaigns & also a tilt in the play offs last season ?
It certainly didn’t detract from the atmosphere inside , great night where for once we did what he had to do .
One of the most memorable in recent times ⚔️
With Wembley too most of the threads were talking about should we be aiming to progress in the cup or promotion not going up and going toe-to-toe with city for 40 minutes (needing a penalty at that) without 2 of the Squads starters.

Back
Top Bottom