Preston - quick report

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Balham Blade

S24SU Seer
Reaction score
We lost to a very limited Preston side due to a horrendous mistake by Matt Hill. We didn't deserve to lose but didn't work Rudd in the Preston goal anywhere near enough.

The first half was promising with Hall prominent on the right and Brandy causing the Preston right back all manner of problems too. King looked to link up with those around him but the understanding wasn't there.

I'm normally pretty patient but that second half was as bad as anything I've seen at the Lane. Weir is surely on borrowed time now.

Ratings:

Long 6: nothing to do.

McMahon 6: solid but doesn't overlap at all, meaning we're more predictable.
Collins 6: dealt well with Davies but was guilty of stopping thinking he'd been fouled, which led to a daft booking.
Maguire 7: solid. Again, dealt well with Davies' physicality, possibly more so than his more experienced colleague.
Hill: 3: not a left back. To blame for their goal. Tried to get forward but delivery was inconsistent.

Doyle 4: he's supposed to be captain. All he does is break up our attacks by taking longer to turn than it's taken me to write this sentence.
Cuvelier 5: need to be more proactive as he's evidently a talented player. Maybe needs to realise that not everyone at United is technically adequate.

Brandy 7: caused the Preston right back loads of problems but faded in the second half.
Baxter 6: tried a few tricks, not enough came off. Needed to get closer to King.
Hall 7: encouraging debut from the loan winger, positive an looked to get forwards.

King 6: looked short of fitness but technically able to play the loan role.

Subs:
Taylor 5 (for Hall) selfish, takes too long over decisions but has ability. Will benefit from having King at the club.
Westlake n/a (for Brandy) looked lost on the wing.
McGinn n/a replaced the lame Doyle in stoppage time, costing us a minute.

Weir: 2. For the signings. The tactics are admirable in intention but the lack of quality at fullback is terminal and this should be glaringly obvious.

Preston: 5. Knew they'd get a chance and took it when it came. The attempts to get Doyle sent off (for an admittedly reckless challenge) were embarrassing.

Referee: 5. There's a rule on timewasting that he should probably study before his next game.

Fans: 6. Remarkably patient.

Ffs
of course defeat was merited it was a disaster from the kick off to the end.no good just blaming hill what of the rest of the wankfest we watched...weir....fuck off

Eh???!!! The tactics are a f'kin disgrace and will take us down. Ultra-negative, painfully slow shite.
4-2-3-1 with the right players will beat 4-4-2 seven times out of ten. Did you deliberately ignore that I said "admirable in intention"?
Ffs
of course defeat was merited it was a disaster from the kick off to the end.no good just blaming hill what of the rest of the wankfest we watched...weir....fuck off
What the fuck is the loan role the gaolbird is fit to fulfil talk fucking sense man
Marlon King is good enough to play as the 1 in a 4-2-3-1 in League One but he is lacking match fitness. It's you who needs to talk sense because, as Latters says, there were some decent individual performances but the whole is way less than the sum of the parts at the moment.

I thought Hill was definitely fouled before their goal. I thought he had a decent game.

I thought hill was pretty good overall. Mr C did some good things but isn't particularly prominent. Hall looked direct and as though he had something about him. Baxter was very poor for me, a yard off the pace. Doyle was okay, my problem is that he's supposed to be the grafter but all our new flair boys seem to like doing quick one twos and giving it back to him to make most of the big decisions in terms of probing forward when this isn't his strength. I think there is some confidence/bottle issues with those leaving him in that position. Brandy does lots of eye catching stuff that has no end product. He could be very effective but his decision making after he's beaten a man is awful. How many crosses has he put in? Hall put more in today than I've seen from all our wide men combined.

All in all it was better than I've seen in the last few games but we cannot score at the moment. Preston were big and functional and will grind their way in to the top six because Grayson knows how.

I thought we played well for the first 30 minutes then we froze when preston came back into the game. We need to be braver. I just don't see how Weir will be able to build their confidence after this. 5 defeats on the trot and the players will stop to listen naturally.

Hill wasn't touched for their goal ,he went down looking for a free kick ,unbelievably bad decision in the circumstances ,the other players knew it.

First half, I thought Cuvelier was very good. Always looking for the ball and actually trying to look for the forward pass when he got it, and strong in the tackle. Alas, he dropped off in the second half to the poor standard of most of those around him.

Baxter looked lightweight and Taylor was transparent when he came on. Not sure why Hall was subbed as he was looking livelier than Brandy at that stage.

Actually thought King gave us some presence up top, but too early to gauge through lack of match fitness, (surprised he lasted 90 mins tbh but with little firepower on bench no wonder - where is Porter btw?)

Back
Top Bottom