Potential summer signings

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

mancunianblade

Reaction score
Ok so this may seem a little early but with Wilder saying that’s us done for incomings this window. This makes the summer window the next opportunity for additions..

I fully expect talks will have already begun re budget and targets and due to our position this will be for two possible eventualities.

1) A further season in the Championship

Or

2) A new campaign in the Premier League

Just sayin the latter amuses me and brings a smile to my face.

We have been very very shrewd in the transfer market and I’d love us to carry on the way we are but is that a step too far now? Some said the championship was a step too far. I genuinely don’t know who we will be targeting if we did go up,if we stay down business as usual I’d presume but I’m really intreagued by the shopping list drawn up for Premier League football.

So for the purposes of debate who realistically could we expect? Who was the last team to go up and not rely on a plethora of foreign talent?

The club and Wilder rightly believe in a number of the current squad and the new signings as some of the contracts handed out recently are for a fair amount of time

For the purposes of debate anyway I’m intrigued to hear a few opinions.

(Cue angry responses to looking ahead)

John Egan, Ben Marshall and Sam Baldock would be a good start if we don't go up.

I think all the players have to perform to keep there places.

I think it’s safe to say Blackman will go back so I believe we will be in the market for another goalkeeper.

Danny Ward from Huddersfield would be good.

Think Lafferty will go and we will need someone to push Stevens.

Jake Wright seems out off favour so I can see a centre half coming in. So I believe a centre half will come in. Maybe Egan? I’m not too sure to be honest.

Right back / midfield seem more than enough.

Strikers - can see us moving on Hanson / Lavery / Wilson, with maybe Sharp and Evans following suit. Leaving us with Clarke and Donaldson. So can see that’s where we will spend most of our money.

John Egan, Ben Marshall and Sam Baldock would be a good start if we don't go up.

If we signed Sam Baldick the club shop could make a killing on Yellow Ts saying “never mind the Baldocks”

I find Marshall frustrating ever since he was with them lot always thought he could be some player but then he never seems to do it. Maybe I’m wrong and he goes about it quietly but I’d expect a player like that to make some noise and have people talking about him.

Egan would be a great addition. Although by if we stay down I’d expect Stearman would remain first choice CB

If we signed Sam Baldick the club shop could make a killing on Yellow Ts saying “never mind the Baldocks”

I find Marshall frustrating ever since he was with them lot always thought he could be some player but then he never seems to do it. Maybe I’m wrong and he goes about it quietly but I’d expect a player like that to make some noise and have people talking about him.

Egan would be a great addition. Although by if we stay down I’d expect Stearman would remain first choice CB

Marshall can play wing back well, certainly on the right and I'd imagine on the left too.

Egan will have a year left on his contract and won't be too costly. Very good fit for us. I think we'll inevitably be interested.

I'd imagine Baldock will be doable if Brighton stay up.

Marshall can play wing back well, certainly on the right and I'd imagine on the left too.

Egan will have a year left on his contract and won't be too costly. Very good fit for us. I think we'll inevitably be interested.

I'd imagine Baldock will be doable if Brighton stay up.

Reckon they will. Saw Michael Thomas on GOS other week they asked his opinion on relegation he said Swansea (obvious) and the Huddersfield and a Newcastle who were a number of places above the drop.. could probably get decent odds on those 3 to drop.

Brighton also seem desperate to sign a striker so yes imagine he would be available

I'd also see what this year's Sam Gallagher situation will be...

Appreciating this is unlikely to be a popular comment but realistically, if the owners are looking for the club to break even each year, any signings will need to be funded from the proceeds from selling Brooks. Depending on how much they get for him (£10-15m?) and how much of that will be required to cover operating expenses will give an idea of the sort of market CW will be able to go shopping in. From the names mentioned so far, I'd say Egan would be most likely given his contract status . Players like Baldock are likely to be on wages that will be beyond Utd at the moment unless he comes on loan.

I would not worry about "what happens if we make it to the Premier League", because the windfall money you get will be more than CW and AK have ever had to spend on players (their percentage of the money, for players, I mean), so while I am sure they will still want hard working, value for money players, the actual cost will be no object.

http://www.espn.co.uk/football/engl...motion-is-worth-at-least-170-million-deloitte

The pleasing thing is that we have neqrly games to see how the likes of Leonard, Evans and Holmes get on. If they do brilliantly in the last half of the year there aren’t huge amounts we need!

New keeper if Blackman goes back. New younger forward maybe and maybe a new centre back. Egan, danny Ward on loan would be a nice start.

It’s exciting times though!

Edit - if we were lucky enough to go up. I’d be happy with wilder sticking to the tried and tested players rather than spinning 80k a week or whatever. Even if we went down we can bank that windfall and build sensibly like Burnleyso we aren’t in a norwich position and can then cherry pick the best players

If we go up we'll probably be the only club in the league who don't look to the foreign market.

If we go up we'll probably be the only club in the league who don't look to the foreign market.

I think we'd maybe look at foreign players but those playing in England. I would have liked us to try for Samu Saiz at Leeds, he's all the talent in the world but lets himself down with his cry baby attitude. Not really a Wilder type signing.

I would not worry about "what happens if we make it to the Premier League", because the windfall money you get will be more than CW and AK have ever had to spend on players (their percentage of the money, for players, I mean), so while I am sure they will still want hard working, value for money players, the actual cost will be no object.

http://www.espn.co.uk/football/engl...motion-is-worth-at-least-170-million-deloitte

Whilst understanding the logic you apply, given current valuations, whatever we'd receive if we're promoted, Wilder would have continue with the same scrutiny regarding getting value for money. I don't believe for one minute that Wilder would get the full amount of whatever windfall we'd receive, so if he had about 50-60% to spend on new recruits we'd be looking at players who fitted into his matrix of what constitutes a decent United player. We'd need forwards who could deliver, and they cost! So if we're in with a shout of achieving promotion then we'd need to get our finger out and secure the services of those players who could add to what we already have, enabling us to scrap and fight for every point that means we'd remain a Premiership team.

I recall our last visit to the Premiership and it doesn't make for happy recollections. We were a poor side, we didn't buy well to strengthen our chances of survival, so if we do manage to make it to the promised land once more I hope our Board realise the importance of giving Wilder the funds to purchase the type of players who'll give us a good chance of continued membership of the Premiership. No one should baulk at paying £15-20 million for players who'll contribute to our Prem survival, unless of course Wilder can find other lower league gems who can take the move upwards in their stride.

I personally think if we got to the Prem we would cherry pick the best Chanpionship players we could get most likely get relegated but we would be so much stronger.

That’s why I like seeing investment in the infrastructure builds us onwards and upwards.

Whilst understanding the logic you apply, given current valuations, whatever we'd receive if we're promoted, Wilder would have continue with the same scrutiny regarding getting value for money. I don't believe for one minute that Wilder would get the full amount of whatever windfall we'd receive, so if he had about 50-60% to spend on new recruits we'd be looking at players who fitted into his matrix of what constitutes a decent United player. We'd need forwards who could deliver, and they cost! So if we're in with a shout of achieving promotion then we'd need to get our finger out and secure the services of those players who could add to what we already have, enabling us to scrap and fight for every point that means we'd remain a Premiership team.

I recall our last visit to the Premiership and it doesn't make for happy recollections. We were a poor side, we didn't buy well to strengthen our chances of survival, so if we do manage to make it to the promised land once more I hope our Board realise the importance of giving Wilder the funds to purchase the type of players who'll give us a good chance of continued membership of the Premiership. No one should baulk at paying £15-20 million for players who'll contribute to our Prem survival, unless of course Wilder can find other lower league gems who can take the move upwards in their stride.

Agreed, which is why I said

"....I would not worry about "what happens if we make it to the Premier League", because the windfall money you get will be more than CW and AK have ever had to spend on players (their percentage of the money, for players, I mean), so while I am sure they will still want hard working, value for money players, the actual cost will be no object...."

Agreed, which is why I said

"....I would not worry about "what happens if we make it to the Premier League", because the windfall money you get will be more than CW and AK have ever had to spend on players (their percentage of the money, for players, I mean), so while I am sure they will still want hard working, value for money players, the actual cost will be no object...."

Sorry, I don't wish to give the appearance of entering into a circular discussion, but it's the "...the actual cost will be no object..." I question. Cost will be a question, even if the figures rise. I suggest we'll be playing in the Huddersfield-Bournemouth arena where buying or loaning players is concerned, so although a very different level of purchase than we've been used to, by Premiership standards it won't be at the top end. The money that swirls around the Premiership these days is eye-watering, but even so, apart from 7-8 clubs the rest still have to cut their cloth accordingly, even if some choose to gamble on big money recruits.

What brought it home to me was when Crystal Palace paid £10 million for Yohan Cabaye. I always considered Cabaye a top midfield player, which suggests why PSG decided to buy him. Not surprisingly, PSG eventually decided to up their player requirements and allow Cabaye to leave for Palace, exactly the type of player that might make the difference between staying in the Premiership or being sucked into a relegation fight.

How much should/would we spend on transfer fees if we went up?

For me we should spend about £25m, we would spend about £17m.

Wages to go up to about 35k p/w with compulsory relegation decreases down to 20k.

I'd hope at least three of signings would be quality loans or free transfers.

How much should/would we spend on transfer fees if we went up?

For me we should spend about £25m, we would spend about £17m.

Wages to go up to about 35k p/w with compulsory relegation decreases down to 20k.

I'd hope at least three of signings would be quality loans or free transfers.

If we did indeed get £170M, then I would expect at least 30% of that to be given to CW and AK for new players.

If they split that, to include money for buying players, and money for paying wages, wage rises, performance bonuses, etc., then your £25M is probably about right for buying new players (15% of the total), if indeed the average wage was £35k p/w

I personally think if we got to the Prem we would cherry pick the best Chanpionship players we could get most likely get relegated but we would be so much stronger.

That’s why I like seeing investment in the infrastructure builds us onwards and upwards.

Very good point.. Beleive Burnley are a good example of this working. I guess West Bron too.. go up and sign the likes of Ryan Woods who even in the PL would probably still be on less than a Man City u23 player

Not going up is the most likely scenario based on current form but as said I’d be disappointed if the club hasnt already had the conversation and set wheels in motion on any possible outcome. Wilder has said previously that planning for windows and squad building starts the window before.

He will be aware of a potential PL budget, Inwas just curious as to our potential player pool.

A lot of people getting way ahead of themselves on getting into the Premier League. We are not ready for the Premier League yet, and I can't even see us staying in the playoffs unless the team starts picking up against teams around the playoffs. So planning for another season in the Championship.

A lot of people getting way ahead of themselves on getting into the Premier League. We are not ready for the Premier League yet, and I can't even see us staying in the playoffs unless the team starts picking up against teams around the playoffs. So planning for another season in the Championship.

Which will be an achievement in itself. The squad will be further strengthened (possibly at the cost of losing Brooks) and with the return of Coutts, Utd will be well placed to further improve and potentially/hopefully look to secure a play off spot without having to overachieve as much as they currently have to.

See that Ben Marshall's gone out on loan to Millwall today.

I know, very good signing for them. It frustrates me when decent players go there, Saville being another. To be fair to them they have recruited well and will stay up comfortably.

Marshall would be ideal for us. Quite natural at RWB and plays on both sides comfortably. Quite hard working with good end product. Will definitely be available.

Hopefully we monitor him at Millwall with a view to moving for him in the summer.

There are quite a few that could leave in terms of making room for others if we are going to progress.

Regardless of which division we are in, here are the areas I'd like to see us improve and who the casualties are likely to be:

Keeper
Stay - Moore, Eastwood
Recruit - Yes. A keeper to push Moore down to back up
Leave - Blackman (end of loan), Long (perm deal elsewhere)

Fullbacks/windbacks
Stay - Baldock, Freeman, Stevens
Recruit - Yes. A left sided player to push Stevens down to back up
Promote - Norrington-Davies
Leave - Lafferty, Hussey (remember him?)

Centrebacks
Stay - Basham, Stearman, O'Connell
Recruit - Yes. A centre half to push Basham down to the bench
Leave - Mixed feelings on this. Both Wright and Heneghan might have limited chances but depending on finances, may be required back up at low cost

Midfield
Stay - Fleck, Coutts, Evans, Leonard, Duffy, Brooks, Holmes, Thomas
Recruit - I'm fine with this midfield. Might need to replace anyone who is sold for a large fee
Promote - Slater
Leave - Carruthers. Possibly Lundstram when you look at those you see ahead of him. Reed, unlikely to make it with us at this level.

Attack
Stay - Clarke, Sharp, Evans, Donaldson. I can see all these staying if we do not go up. If we do then you could argue none would be good enough.
Recruit - Will depend on finances but this would be where we would spend the most if we had it.
Leave - Lavery, Hansen, Wilson (end of loan).

Definite leavers - Blackman, Long, Lafferty, Hussey, Carruthers, Reed, Lavery, Hansen, Wilson
Possibles - Wright, Heneghan, Lundstram, Donaldson

Excellent post CB. I'm in broad agreement, except for a few points. They obviously rate JB as a keeper, and the deal that we have with Chelsea is obviously financially affordable and acceptable to all parties. Unless something dramatic happens between now and the end of the season, I can see it being repeated next season, with Eastwood going out on 2x loans. The other point is that I can see major surgery with our forwards. If we don't go up or at least fall away totally, it will be due in part to a lack of goals (I apprecaite the not scoring/not creating argument) & that aspect of the team will be scrutinized. I think in the summer, two of Donaldson (34), Clarke (33) and Sharpe (32) will be on their way, probably followed by Evans if he hasn't shown any positive signs between now and then. Wilson may stay either on loan or permanent, depending on what he does in the remaining games and training. I would suspect that his time at Man Utd is up.

Back
Top Bottom