Poor tempo at Bury

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Bergen Blade

Reaction score
Our starting line up was:

Long

Brayford Edgar Basham McEveley

Reed Hammond

Calvert-Lewin - - - - - Baxter - - - - - - JCR

Adams

With Basham coming in for Collins it was pretty much the same team that beat Doncaster.

There are some good things on paper with this side.

• Quite robust and experienced back four
  • One attacking full back supporting an inside forward (DCL) in front of him and a more holding type behind the out and out winger in JCR.
  • In midfield there's the exeperienced holding guy with a ball player in Reed.
  • More pace out wide and up front
  • Creativity and a midfield goal threat from Baxter
  • Generally a decent mix between experience and youth
  • Height/strength maintained
So why didn't it work at all? We added pace and had three players in midfield, which many of us have wanted. I think our two biggest problems were:

• Lack of running/work rate/aggression, tenacity in midfield
  • Poor tempo

Before I watched the game I wrote this in another thread, on JCR :

"Quite often the tempo of our attacks is so slow that by the time we actually get the ball out wide to him, the opposition have all their defenders back, waiting, ready to deal with the cross, if it comes in. I think also JCR at times slows things down himself before he takes his man on. Maybe he sees his job as to be available out wide, beat his man and knock it in, then hopefully there will be a teammate on the end of it. But I think he'd be more effective if he was more often part of a wave; quicker attacks where he could run onto the ball, attack his full back and cross before the opposition defence got back and before the movement into the box had stopped."

There were a few examples of this, including this one:

Brayford's inside run and pass out to JCR has created some space, but it takes a long time before a cross comes in and we are lacking players in the box.

Our counter attacking wasn't good enough. I think us not being strong enough in midfield is the main cause of this, but even when we did have the chance we often chose not to take it. Here we win the ball when Bury have three or four players forward, but waste the chance to counter attack. There are too many passes and the long punt up to an isolated Adams is easy to deal with for their defence:

Even Baxter gets back to playmake, rather than making attacking runs into space. Counter attacking is more than trying to kick it upfield for a quick striker to chase. We need determination to make use of these situations, and more players who can run on the ball, and off the ball, quickly and often.

Another example of many passes in our own half, then a chip up to a lonesome Che, who's really got a thankless task to do something about those passes:

Finally, I'll include one better attempt: Here we win the ball when Bury have many players high up. DCL immediately (!) runs (!!) on the ball and hits a great through ball to Adams, who has timed his run well.

Unfortunately Che's first touch makes him lose momentum, but he's still able to hit another through ball, to Baxter who's made a long off the ball run (!!!), but a challenge from behind sees him fail to control the ball.

We tried to up the tempo in the second half, but Bury were happy to drop deeper and soak up the pressure. In the end we had a very attacking side on the pitch, but still struggled to create much.

Long

Reed Hammond

Adams

With Basham coming in for Collins it was pretty much the same team that beat Doncaster.

• One attacking full back supporting an inside forward (DCL) in front of him and a more holding type behind the out and out winger in JCR.
So why didn't it work at all? We added pace and had three players in midfield, which many of us have wanted. I think our two biggest problems were:

• Poor tempo

"Quite often the tempo of our attacks is so slow that by the time we actually get the ball out wide to him, the opposition have all their defenders back, waiting, ready to deal with the cross, if it comes in. I think also JCR at times slows things down himself before he takes his man on. Maybe he sees his job as to be available out wide, beat his man and knock it in, then hopefully there will be a teammate on the end of it. But I think he'd be more effective if he was more often part of a wave; quicker attacks where he could run onto the ball, attack his full back and cross before the opposition defence got back and before the movement into the box had stopped."

Brayford's inside run and pass out to JCR has created some space, but it takes a long time before a cross comes in and we are lacking players in the box.

Our counter attacking wasn't good enough. I think us not being strong enough in midfield is the main cause of this, but even when we did have the chance we often chose not to take it. Here we win the ball when Bury have three or four players forward, but waste the chance to counter attack. There are too many passes and the long punt up to an isolated Adams is easy to deal with for their defence:

Even Baxter gets back to playmake, rather than making attacking runs into space. Counter attacking is more than trying to kick it upfield for a quick striker to chase. We need determination to make use of these situations, and more players who can run on the ball, and off the ball, quickly and often.

Another example of many passes in our own half, then a chip up to a lonesome Che, who's really got a thankless task to do something about those passes:

Finally, I'll include one better attempt: Here we win the ball when Bury have many players high up. DCL immediately (!) runs (!!) on the ball and hits a great through ball to Adams, who has timed his run well.

Unfortunately Che's first touch makes him lose momentum, but he's still able to hit another through ball, to Baxter who's made a long off the ball run (!!!), but a challenge from behind sees him fail to control the ball.

We tried to up the tempo in the second half, but Bury were happy to drop deeper and soak up the pressure. In the end we had a very attacking side on the pitch, but still struggled to create much.

What do you think of Brayfords form and who do we have if he was to be dropped or injured?

He's looked off the pace to me.

What about if Jcr was played as an attacking right back? Surely that should speed things up. Yes square pegs and round holes etc but just a thought.

Long

Reed Hammond

Adams

• Poor tempo

Exactly.

It's been a similar story for most of the season - and it's this sort of thing that actually went wrong last night.

All game I was shouting either "Faster," or, "Too slow." (Not saying this was the only thing that went wrong last night but imo it was extremely important in the way the game played out.)

I'm pretty sure Adkins mentioned the speed of passing after the Gillingham game. It was certainly noticeable even back then.

Istm that whenever we do up the tempo we immediately look like a good threatening team, but over the whole season this has happened so few times and often for 5 or 10 minutes.

Thing is I've no idea what the remedy is.

Long

Reed Hammond

Adams

The problem is quite obvious... The players named in that line up are, almost to a man, simply not good enough, and Worringly, Sharp apart, it's close to the best line up we can put out.

Ask yourself this, having seen all the sides this season would any of the teams currently in the promotion and play off spots take any of those players in place of their own first choices?

Answer?.. A resounding NO. On current form not even Brayford would be wanted.

Long:is a back up at this level at best.
Edgar : will probably be off to a below MLS level North American team in the summer,about his level.
Basham: is a mid table league one midfield work horse.
Maceverly: had been our most consistent defender since Xmas which says more about us than him.
Reed: in and out, may still make it but jury out
Hammond: finished, legs are gone.
Calvert Lewin: a kid may improve but not ready yet, (may never be)
Baxter: enough chances not enough end product, bye.
JCR: Same as his entire career has been a couple of good (top class even) games a season, rest of the time not good enough.
Adams: again shows promise other times still looks non-league.

That my friends is why we aren't winning many football matches.

I didn't go but great analysis. Our ponderous build up play ensures the opposition is already back.

I suspect in JCR you can't teach an old dog new tricks,. He does slow before he takes his man on and the resultant crosses are usually poor or well covered as the opposition is already in place.

We don't really have the players but we rarely run with the ball at pace ripping into an unprepared opposing midfield/defence.

Big overhaul required, we can't and mustn't avoid that this summer.

Long

Reed Hammond

Adams

The problem is quite obvious... The players named in that line up are, almost to a man, simply not good enough, and Worringly, Sharp apart, it's close to the best line up we can put out.

Ask yourself this, having seen all the sides this season would any of the teams currently in the promotion and play off spots take any of those players in place of their own first choices?

Edgar : will probably be off to a below MLS level North American team in the summer,about his level.
Maceverly: had been our most consistent defender since Xmas which says more about us than him.
JCR: Same as his entire career has been a couple of good (top class even) games a season, rest of the time not good enough.

I do think a lot of it comes down to the fact that the players just are mid table League One players. We have all been guilty of over hyping some of them but they have shown almost to man that they will never play any higher than this level. They are bang average league one players so its no surprise we are an average league one side

What do you think of Brayfords form and who do we have if he was to be dropped or injured?

What about if Jcr was played as an attacking right back? Surely that should speed things up. Yes square pegs and round holes etc but just a thought.

I don't think he's quite regained the pace he had before his injury, and may not be ready to give us the same lift as when he first came here. I think he'll improve though and hopefully he'll be an asset next season. It doesn't look like we're going to "click" all of a sudden, which may mean players will struggle individually as well.

Whilst were in analytical mode.

The defence. All 8 of them on their second to last chance. All behind the ball but none of them actually marking anyone. Our fullbacks are too narrow allowing wide players to have as much room as they want to get a cross in, we stand off attacker and with their goal allow them to easily get in a position to score.

Last edited:
Another goal for the "outside of the area potshot" collection. Might be something we could do about it

Another goal for the "outside of the area potshot" collection. Might be something we could do about it

Attack the ball like all schoolboys are told? It's not rocket science, if there are numbers there one player should go out an challenge.

The majority of this squad beat numerous prem teams over the last 2/3 seasons,these same players now literally look div 4 standard, its as if they don't want to play for NA at times or he has "lost" the dressing room ala jose mourinho..........would explain the really poor tempo that has literally been there all season

Just like me at the game, the cameras must have missed most of the "4 or 5" chances we had according to Adkins

The majority of this squad beat numerous prem teams over the last 2/3 seasons,these same players now literally look div 4 standard, its as if they don't want to play for NA at times or he has "lost" the dressing room ala jose mourinho..........would explain the really poor tempo that has literally been there all season

I don't think Adkins is blameless by any means but when are we as a club going to stop looking to blame the manager?

No manager could make these players play well. They're dog shit. We finished 5th under Clough but we never played well. We haven't played well since Danny Wilson was the boss in the first season we came down and he was probably helped by the fact we had players too good for L1 (Quinn, Evans, Williamson, McDonald). It was nothing to do with good planning by the club as a whole.

I feel for Adkins. I imagine he hates these players as much as the fans do but he has to remain professional. I think we need to give him chance to build his own side and not have to rely on these arseholes currently contracted to the club.

Fascinating analysis Bergen, although my main gripe particularly with the midfield was that no one was getting hold of the ball, Reed in particular seemed desperate not to have the ball and pass it/give it away as soon as possible. I think this comes down to your point about lack of aggression, they seemed to be able to run through us at will. It was like watching a team of small boys take on a team of big lads and simply get beat by intimidation.

i think he's trying too hard

From Danny Wilson's second season to now, our tempo / speed of movement / speed of thought has been poor (other than a 4 or 5 month spell under Clough). We don't do anything quickly enough, we don't move enough and 95% of our squad can't run fast enough.

David Edgar can also play the holding midfielder role.. i think he plays there for Canada. why don't we put the square peg in the square hole??

He has occasionally played there for Canada in the past, but as I understand it he's nearly always a centre-half nowadays. Did he play in midfield in his Huddersfield loan spell? My concern in moving him would be that we're essentially moving probably our best centre-half, immediately weakening that area of the pitch. Were we blessed with plenty of reasonable centre-half options, fair enough. We absolutely aren't at the minute.

He has occasionally played there for Canada in the past, but as I understand it he's nearly always a centre-half nowadays. Did he play in midfield in his Huddersfield loan spell? My concern in moving him would be that we're essentially moving probably our best centre-half, immediately weakening that area of the pitch. Were we blessed with plenty of reasonable centre-half options, fair enough. We absolutely aren't at the minute.
idea! we need another centre half.. oh sorry we did that one already

Maybe they actually do do their best. But their best is just shit.

When there are weaknesses in a side, vital attributes missing, coupled with a playing style that's not effective or doesn't quite fit the selected players, it can look like the players don't care or don't put enough effort in.

It didn't look like the players were determined to play a high tempo, counter attacking game vs Bury. Maybe we thought our best chance would be to keep a lot of possession, control the game, etc. If this lead to the players regularly not taking the counter attacking opportunities it's going to be difficult to score enough goals and we'd have to rely on superior ability to "carve them open" with creative passing and good movement. I don't think the selected team is good enough to do that.

Adkins played a trio in central midfield, with Baxter in front of Reed and Hammond. Baxter isn't great at pressing and chasing and so we gained very little defensively from the switch from 4-4-2. With Baxter bypassed easily and attacking players in the wide positions it was hard for Hammond and Reed to both protect the defence (by sitting deep) while also being aggressive enough to win the ball - hence the lack of counter attacking despite us having pace further forward.

Long

Reed Hammond

Adams

Tuesday night was appalling, no doubt.
You carefully, profile each player, not in depth though, which is fine for the point you are making.

The massive thing that is missing from this, and was patently evident on Tuesday 10 men were on the pitch; 10 men who were not a team.

Long I thought saved our bacon, hence reference to 10!

Who was responsible for that; Adkins, individuals, the whole team ?

For me the seasoned players stood out as being absolute numpteys, no brains, no desire no spirit, they should have been cleverer in the defence and feeding forward...................sideways and backwards came a lot easier to them..............developing and opening up opportunities> I dont think I saw Brayford push the ball up the right wing once in the first half.

Back
Top Bottom