Plymouth v Blades 1980 - goals

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Blimey that was poor defending. That third goal.... 😱🤯

The United side of today would get double figures against that 1980 Utd side (and that's taking into consideration our cows arse and banjo finishing last season).

Watching the 'highlights' of old Utd performances from the late 70s / very early 80s really drives home what a terrible side we were before Porterfield came in and started the recovery in the summer of 1981.

Manager: "Lads, we're practising defending set pieces today"
Team: "But boss, we're fine on those. No need. What's the worst that could happen. We'd rather practice looking at our shoelaces instead..."

My word that was a terrible watch! One for Fantasy Football's "Old football was rubbish" section...

Wonder if Tony Incenzo managed to visit all 92? Given his line of work I'd say it's very likely.
If memory serves, he ended up visiting all 92 grounds at least 5 times. He was featured in "Shoot" magazine in the 1980s.

It feels like every time someone digs up some footage of us from that period, we get battered!

Even when we won the 4th Div and lost 4 games all season, the only game shown on MOTD that season (in the days where they showed lower league games) was us getting battered 5-2 at Colchester.

I was at this game pretty sure Kenworthy missed a penalty and the keeper is Conroy and I always thought the score was 4_-nil. I ,used to go all over with the Sportsman in them days and they used to do raffles on the coach With 1st prize being free travel to any away game won it a few times obviously why I was there 😃

I was at this game pretty sure Kenworthy missed a penalty and the keeper is Conroy and I always thought the score was 4_-nil. I ,used to go all over with the Sportsman in them days and they used to do raffles on the coach With 1st prize being free travel to any away game won it a few times obviously why I was there 😃
You’re right. Kenworthy had a pen saved.

Terry Poole was in goal. Conroy had broken his arm earlier in the season and we used Poole, Neil Ramsbottom and Derek Richardson after that.

That was Paul Casey’s only Blades goal.

Silent Blade.was the official attendance just over 45,,000 or was just over 42,000.at the time they seemed to be a bit of confusion over it if I remember correctly.

Silent Blade.was the official attendance just over 45,,000 or was just over 42,000.at the time they seemed to be a bit of confusion over it if I remember correctly.
always thought it was 45k and some wednesday fans think they had 5k on the kop that day more like 500 and surrounded by police otherwise they would have come croppers

always thought it was 45k and some wednesday fans think they had 5k on the kop that day more like 500 and surrounded by police otherwise they would have come croppers
I was only 9 but remember the pigs on the top half of the kop with the police down the side.

Despite my age I had a fascination about all that kind of stuff. Unless my memory is playing tricks it seemed like more then 500 of the grunts to me but certainly nowhere near 5k, typical delusion from them

Back
Top Bottom