Playing the same team at home twice in a month

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

1973Blade

Reaction score
We only played Brighton three weeks ago in thr Cup so we should be familiar with them. I can only think of this happening once before when we played Stevenage in our final hime match of the season and then again in thr playoffs (the year of the Huddersfield Wembley defeat).

Played Newcastle away and home in August 1974. Plenty of home and away matches against same opposition at Easter in the past. Played at Leeds on Easter Monday 1974 and then next night played at home to Leeds

1983-4: played Bradford at home in the league cup on 13 September (1-1) and the league on 27 September (2-0)

1996-7: Bradford again. 3-0 in league cup on 20 August and 3-0 in league on 10 September (also beat them 2-1 away in league cup on 3 September)

1997-8: Ipswich on 3 February in FA Cup (1-0) and in league on 3 March (0-1) when Spackman quit.

1998-9: Grimsby at home in league on 8 September (3-2) and again in league cup on 15 September (2-1). Lost 0-2 at Grimsby in 2nd leg on 22 September. Hence we played them 3 straight Tuesdays.

2001-2: beat Forest at the Lane in the cup on 5 January and drew 0-0 at home with them in league on 19 January.

2002-3: beat Palace 2-1 at home on 30 November in the league, beat them 2-1 in the league cup on 17 December.

2003-4 lost at home on pens to Watford after 0-0 draw in league cup on 26 October, drew 1-1 with them at home in the league on 13 November

I should get out more.

On a similar theme, we once played two consecutive away league games at Reading. Last away game of 1995-6 (3-0) and first game of 1996-7 (0-1).

There are loads of examples of us playing a team home and away in successive games. A lot of fixtures were arranged like that before the war. It was also common at Christmas.

Way back in time I think the two Christmas fixtures (games played on Christmas Day) were against the same clubs.

Played Newcastle away and home in August 1974. Plenty of home and away matches against same opposition at Easter in the past. Played at Leeds on Easter Monday 1974 and then next night played at home to Leeds
Didn’t that happen pretty often in those days, usually Leeds ?

Went to both those Leeds games, I recall similar around 1967/8, believe we also played them in the FA Cul that year. Lost all three, unlucky in cup though, Addison put ball over goal line but not given

First prem season we played liverpool away 2nd then at home 5th or 6th game. We beat them at home

Apparently the Xmas day tradition kept going in Scotland until 1976

Might be wrong but off the top of my head I think we played Preston three times in three weeks in early 2015.

A match on Christmas day??
Yes, my dad said there were always big crowds for Xmas Day matches. If we had a home game my dad and his mates would walk from Dronfield to Meadowhead to catch the tram to the Lane from there. Many men would bring their cigars which were their Xmas presents and smoked them during the match. Our last Xmas Day fixture was at Grimsby in 1958, our last Xmas Day home fixture was against Lincoln in 1956.

1957 - the last full League programme
1958 - 9 games, including 3 in top flight
1959 - Blackburn 1 Blackpool 0 (top flight) and Coventry 5 Wrexham 3 (3rd tier)
1965 - Blackpool 4 Blackburn 2 (last top flight and last in any division)

West Ham away twice in the space of a month during the 04/05 season. A 2-0 win in the league and 1-1 draw in the cup IIRC

On a slightly different version.
Can't remember the year but around 22 years ago.
Blades played at Selhurst Park , crystal palace twicecin a week.
Wimbledon v blades the Friday night then
Crystal palace v blades the following Saturday
I remember going by train to both .

Back
Top Bottom