Players who played a bigger part after promotion

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Bergen Blade

Reaction score
There've been some squad players who - despite the club moving to a higher level - have managed to play a bigger part in the season after a promotion. A couple of examples. Who remembers more and do we have someone in the current squad who you think will surprise us next season?

Keith Gillespie - understudy to Ifill in the 05/06 promotion season, but did well and was usually first choice in the PL.

David Brooks - Only figured in cup games when we were promoted from League One in Wilder's first season. Then got his break through in the Championship the season after and was transferred for big money at the end of it.

John Lundstram - Squad player during the 18/19 promotion, but returned tremendously fit for pre season and played a big part in the club's return to the top flight.

I thought Brooks looked really good when we played Spurs in the Cup.
Other than that I guess we are looking at Brewster and Jebbison to potentially fit the criteria mentioned above.

There are a few examples from the Bassett years.

Simon Tracey came in towards the end of 1988-9 after only one earlier league appearance, and never looked back.

John Gannon looked ok at best in his loan spell in Division 3, but was a regular in the Division 2 promotion season and for years afterwards.

Dane Whitehouse played about a dozen games in the back to back promotion seasons, didn't do much in 1990-1, but broke out in our second top flight season under Bassett.

Mike Lake didn't play much but had a lot more impact in the top flight than in Division 2.

More recently, I thought Derek Geary's best season for us was the 2006-7 PL season.

You'd have to say Lundstram, out of the three of them. For whatever followed, he was excellent in that first season back in the PL.

There are a few examples from the Bassett years.

Simon Tracey came in towards the end of 1988-9 after only one earlier league appearance, and never looked back.

John Gannon looked ok at best in his loan spell in Division 3, but was a regular in the Division 2 promotion season and for years afterwards.

Dane Whitehouse played about a dozen games in the back to back promotion seasons, didn't do much in 1990-1, but broke out in our second top flight season under Bassett.

Mike Lake didn't play much but had a lot more impact in the top flight than in Division 2.

More recently, I thought Derek Geary's best season for us was the 2006-7 PL season.

Geary is a great shout. Became a bit of a cult hero after The Prem season.

Back
Top Bottom