Players who need dropping

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Think I’ve lost patience with him now. Anel is a good player when he can be arsed, which is a completely unacceptable trait to have in any walks of life let alone a professional sport. Stinking attitude and should be frozen out until he’s sold.

Our lass’s got cracking pins so would have put her up for the job if that was the job spec

We should stop arguing about individual players. Most of them are about the same level, which is bottom PL - to decent Championship.

We went up without a squad and playing style we could rely on at the next level. It was always going to be a struggle.

People forget Hecky's main tactic was give it to Ndiaye.

We should stop arguing about individual players. Most of them are about the same level, which is bottom PL - to decent Championship.

We went up without a squad and playing style we could rely on at the next level. It was always going to be a struggle.
Ok….but what would you do now? More keen to hear your views than being accusatory.

Wasn’t a bad idea to be fair

It's a shit tactic.

It may get you promoted from the championship but its nothing to build upon as soon as the player leaves or gets injured results go to shit. Example: see this season.

It's a shit tactic.

It may get you promoted from the championship but its nothing to build upon as soon as the player leaves or gets injured results go to shit. Example: see this season.
True that tactic does rely on having that player but for getting us up it was what was needed

It's a shit tactic.

So we should have stayed in the championship?

So we should have stayed in the championship?

No, what Hecky should have done is try to do more around building patterns of play, players knowing their role, keeping their shape and keeping the players fighting fit. He didn't really emulate or build upon what Wilder started last time around. He kept a similar formation yes but it was no where near as well drilled and organized as Wilder used to have it.

Eventually he just went fuck it. If we can't give the ball to MGW to create something anymore then just give it to Ndiaye.

It's a shit tactic.

It may get you promoted from the championship but it’s nothing to build upon as soon as the player leaves or gets injured results go to shit. Example: see this season.

Getting promoted from the championship isn’t easy. I’d say there are 20 teams who would have snapped your hand off if you said ‘if you follow this tactic you’ll be in the premier league next season’.
Some teams haven’t been back in the premier league for 20 years.
I think wanting us to get promotion AND do it immediately before the club goes bust AND do it in a certain way, rather than in the ‘wrong’ way is maybe asking a bit much.

Getting promoted from the championship isn’t easy. I’d say there are 20 teams who would have snapped your hand off if you said ‘if you follow this tactic you’ll be in the premier league next season’.
Some teams haven’t been back in the premier league for 20 years.
I think wanting us to get promotion AND do it immediately before the club goes bust AND do it in a certain way, rather than in the ‘wrong’ way is maybe asking a bit much.

Beyond that though you end up with season like this. Even if Ndiaye was still here we could still be getting tonked with some of our defending.

Most are niggly fouls where the opponent is going nowhere and Anel nudges him or tugs at his shirt, giving away needless free kicks. It’s fucking infuriating.
Hence our inability to get up the pitch in extra time because that dickhead kept giving away stupid fouls. The commentators were gushing over Edouard, saying it was the perfect centre forward play to carry and hold the ball up the pitch. Easy if you’ve got a marker who, seemingly, is incapable of being within 3 feet of an opponent without trying to pull his shirt off.

Controversial opinion.

We have missed John Egan an awful lot more than many would have you believe.

UTB

It's not just Egan.

Over the course of a year or two, for one reason or another, we now also don't have Enda, Bash, Sharp & McGoldrick and Norwood & Fleck are also reduced to bit part - that's a lot of senior pro'age not replaced because we put all our eggs in the 'development' basket.

We allowed all of our seasoned pros with experience to become incapable of maintaining relatively high standards at the same time.
we should have phased them out and replaced with new players with potential during our second premiership season under Wilder.

Beyond that though you end up with season like this. Even if Ndiaye was still here we could still be getting tonked with some of our defending.
Burnley came up outplaying championship sides as a quality unit, but they haven’t fared much better than us so far. There’s no guarantees about the best way to get up that puts you in the best position to do well in premier league. Luton played some unimpressive stuff last year, but have surprisingly done better than expected.

I just think that if you look at all the possible ways last season in the championship could have panned out …
  • finish bottom of championship
  • relegation
  • barely escape relegation
  • mid-table mediocrity
  • upper mid-table but miss out on play offs
  • scrape into play offs but miss out on wembley
  • miss out on autos and lose play-offs
  • get to pay off final but lose it
  • get promoted by tactic of passing it to ndiaye
  • Get promoted without relying on our best player.

..: pretty much everyone would take the second-to-last one.

Ok….but what would you do now? More keen to hear your views than being accusatory.
We have to keep trying to get things spot on tactically and with our team selection.

When fans have lost faith in specific players I understand that another disappointing team performance only make that feeling stronger. Managers can't just change the team to punish those who haven't looked great though. For the next game he's got to try to find a line up, a balance and tactics that maximises what we've got and somehow deals effectively with the threats of the usually higher standard opposition.

I think Wilder wanted a more physical team last night. The centre halves, Trusty at left back, Souza, Slimane, BBD, McBurnie meant we looked a bit bigger side than in some games. I think we wanted to be solid and aggressive, make it hard for their flair players to find space and create. Set pieces may have been an important part of our strategy. But despite a good start, we were unable to keep the likes of Olise and Eze quiet. Ajew also caused problems and Mateta was just stronger than our defenders.

I'm not sure if Wilder regrets too much. It's hard to criticise a starting line up that gets us in front twice in the first half. But in retrospect, he could have sacrificed the attacking qualities of BBD and played RND or Larouci at left midfield to neutralise/double up on Olise. Maybe played Osborn (rather than Slimane) and instructed him to man mark Eze. Defensive tweaks, which may have helped deal better with their main threats, but they may have had a negative impact on other things. We may have struggled more at set pieces, we may not have scored two goals, it may have turned into a match similar to the ones at the start of the season, where we defended ok, but had so little offensively that there wasn't anything to build on and we never improved.

I think Wilder has given us a lift, but it looks highly unlikely that it will be enough to make this squad stay up.

I'm genuinely stunned by the stupidity of that reply.

Hence our inability to get up the pitch in extra time because that dickhead kept giving away stupid fouls. The commentators were gushing over Edouard, saying it was the perfect centre forward play to carry and hold the ball up the pitch. Easy if you’ve got a marker who, seemingly, is incapable of being within 3 feet of an opponent without trying to pull his shirt off.

Please enlighten us, which reply were you genuinely stunned by?

Back
Top Bottom