Players, formation or manager?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

William Large

Reaction score
Given our recent history of seemingly turning good players into shite ones as soon as they sign for us, what do you think is the current reason for our dire start to the season?

Have we signed shit players? Some people were wetting themselves with excitement when we bought Baxter, Cuvellier, Brandy, Taylor etc only for them to fail to show anything like their previous potential when they pull on a red and white shirt.

Is it the formation? For me we look like we don't really know what we are doing, or aren't good enough to play that way. Some folk are crying out for 4 4 2. Is that the answer?

Or is it just Weir? Is he too pigheaded to change our 'style' ? Has he signed shit players? Or is he just generally shit? He seemed to come with decent credentials (managerial experience apart).

I think we need to give the players more creative freedom to make their own choices on the field. We seem abit robotic at the moment, their scared to go against the instructions that's probably been drilled into them by Weir and Co. that and i really think a change of formation is needed for a start two up top would be handy!

Bit of all three, but if you go from the bottom up!

Formation Manager
Players

Formation not working. We are no longer tight and stunted up front. The manager picks it, sees it not working but keeps with it. I get the feeling the players are as mystified as everyone else!

IMO we are missing physical strength in midfield and on the wings. We have many skilful players but they get knocked off the ball too easily. We either need all the midfield 5 to get pumping iron or we need a bulldog in the middle of the park to stamp his physical authority on proceedings.

Oh for a Trevor Hockey or Nick Montgomery type of defensive midfielder.

For me there are only 4 definite keepers in that side...Long, Cuvelier, Brandy and Baxter.

I'd agree with Long, and Baxter if we can get the best out of him.
Not sure about Brandy - he has pace and trickery but I've not seen much end product. Hall could be a better bet on today's evidence?
Don't see where Cuvelier fits in other than Baxter's understudy. It's not working where he's playing at the moment - he seems too lightweight.

IMO we are missing physical strength in midfield and on the wings. We have many skilful players but they get knocked off the ball too easily. We either need all the midfield 5 to get pumping iron or we need a bulldog in the middle of the park to stamp his physical authority on proceedings.

Oh for a Trevor Hockey or Nick Montgomery type of defensive midfielder.
you meant a Trevor Hockey or Mick Speight type of defensive midfielder.. how very dare you put monty in the same bracket as the great bearded one.. agree with the gist though ;)

i thought Weir looked a good appointment i was wrong
on paper this team is as good as anything in this division.. he inherited the strongest defence in the division.. has to be the manager.. sorry DW but you pick the team and set the formation. these guys at this level can't play 4231.. plus we don't have didier drogba and frank lampard

edit: btw 442 doesn't mean hoofball either.. the German teams play this way.. ie like the one that destroyed Barcelona??

you meant a Trevor Hockey or Mick Speight type of defensive midfielder.. how very dare you put monty in the same bracket as the great bearded one.. agree with the gist though ;)

I would say that Monty's greatest strength was a defensive mid, much like he played in the Prem. Since then, the powers that be thought he was the next Michael Brown and tried to make him play that way.

we desperately need 2 decent full backs ,we don't have a decent one in the club and it is a vital part of our attack and defence.
The two encouraging signs for me yesterday were the growing up of Long ,his stature looks much stronger and we did try and take players on a few times ,something the players haven't been doing or allowed to do previously.

edit: btw 442 doesn't mean hoofball either.. the German teams play this way.. ie like the one that destroyed Barcelona??

Bayern played 4-2-3-1 last season but with full backs who got forwards (Lahm and Alaba) and a very mobile front four, with the 3 of Müller, Ribéry and Robben swapping positions regularly.

Dortmund play 4-2-2-1-1, Klopp is all about attack, which is why they're so much fun to watch. Unless they're losing to Napoli.

We're so static it's unreal but I'm fast losing patience with Weir's inability/refusal to fix the most glaring issue: the full backs.

The days of two static banks of four are gone.

Back
Top Bottom