play off games

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

blade too long

weve come home
Reaction score
results on saturday means whoever gets in the play offs , hopefully wednesday will get to play mk dons or huddersfield in the final , who will now definitely meet in the semis as they will finish 4th and 5th
stevenage , notts county carlisle and brentford can all still finish 6th, and will provide the first semi for sheffield , again hopefully dave jones 6th play offs

results on saturday means whoever gets in the play offs , hopefully wednesday will get to play mk dons or huddersfield in the final , who will now definitely meet in the semis as they will finish 4th and 5th
stevenage , notts county carlisle and brentford can all still finish 6th, and will provide the first semi for sheffield , again hopefully dave jones 6th play offs

Smell the coffee, highly likely to be Hudds v MK, Stevenage v United. Now prove me wrong Blades....for once.
(Walsall, Wednesday, Chelsea, Palace, Wolves, Wigan, Burnley)

Lets not be too premature. If it is to be the play offs then so be it, but right now we are in the box seat for automatic. We need to concentrate on that until at least Saturday week. Last promotion we wobbled just before it all worked out so if we are looking at history lets not be too selective just yet.

What gets me about all this playoff crap is potentially both Sheffield clubs will have to play their strongest team for the next 2 games as they are both pushing for second. But Hudders and MK can give theirs a rest. Bet Rhodes doesnt play for Hudders until the semi

What gets me about all this playoff crap is potentially both Sheffield clubs will have to play their strongest team for the next 2 games as they are both pushing for second. But Hudders and MK can give theirs a rest. Bet Rhodes doesnt play for Hudders until the semi

And thus starts the (perfectly understandable) pros and cons of the current format of the Play-offs...

Pros
  • It maintains interest longer in the season for a greater number of teams
  • Its a money spinner
  • Its a great way to win promotion (I imagine anyway)
Cons
  • It offers no reflection of the final league table, short of getting to play the 2nd leg at home.
  • Teams secure in the Play-offs, but not aiming for Auto promotion, can rest players
  • The team(s) missing out on Auto Promotion are on a downer going into the Play offs
  • the team finishing 6th is often in reasonable form (having sneked into the PO)

I personally would change it such that:

5th at home to 6th
Winner travels away to 4th
Winner takes on 3rd at Wembley

all games one-off matches. First match the Thursday after the season ends. Next match the following Sunday. Final the following weekend.

But it won`t happen.

BB won't be at Wemberleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

BB won't be at Wemberleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.
Dont think I could stand it either.

Funny how we will be disappointed if we finish in the playoffs. But at the start of the season we would have bit their hands off for them

Said it before and I will say it till the play offs are consigned to history.... they are not right, it is not a fair reflection off the season, if it is 1m, 2 or 3 promotion places then the reams finshing in those positions should be promoted. The play offs where invented purely as a money making effort, so that clubs who had a chance of finishing in the top 6, could sell the last few fixtures to the floating suport as a way to get revenue through the gate.

If there has to be a play off, then the team finshing third from bottom of a league should play the team finishing third from top in the league below. In a one off neutral ground game.
Why is the format for the play offs different from the rest of season, it becomes a knock out tourament, if they have to have play offs, then make that a mini league as well, you could fit that in over 3 weeks once the season has finished, seems to be a better way to me.

Said it before and I will say it till the play offs are consigned to history.... they are not right, it is not a fair reflection off the season, if it is 1m, 2 or 3 promotion places then the reams finshing in those positions should be promoted. The play offs where invented purely as a money making effort, so that clubs who had a chance of finishing in the top 6, could sell the last few fixtures to the floating suport as a way to get revenue through the gate.
But we knew the format when we started the season, no use whinging about it know, it is what it is. Currently Im with BB and not going to Wembley, read that how you want.

But we knew the format when we started the season, no use whinging about it know, it is what it is. Currently Im with BB and not going to Wembley, read that how you want.
I know everyone knew the format before the the season started, I am not whinging about that, I personally have never liked the play offs, I think they are wrong, to me if it is 3 teams to be promoted, then the teams finishing 1, 2 and 3 are promoted.. never have liked the fact that finishing 6th in a league means that 3 games later you can be in a higher division. Off course I have to accept thats the way it is, and I would accpet it if we finished 6th and won the play offs, but still do not think it is the correct way to do it.

Smell the coffee, highly likely to be Hudds v MK, Stevenage v United. Now prove me wrong Blades....for once.
(Walsall, Wednesday, Chelsea, Palace, Wolves, Wigan, Burnley)
mate .. you are on the wrong board.. see porktalk

I know everyone knew the format before the the season started, I am not whinging about that, I personally have never liked the play offs, I think they are wrong, to me if it is 3 teams to be promoted, then the teams finishing 1, 2 and 3 are promoted.. never have liked the fact that finishing 6th in a league means that 3 games later you can be in a higher division. Off course I have to accept thats the way it is, and I would accpet it if we finished 6th and won the play offs, but still do not think it is the correct way to do it.
I understand the keep "interest going" argument so why not have 6 up and 6 down automatically?

c
I understand the keep "interest going" argument so why not have 6 up and 6 down automatically?
Could you imagine the whinging from the Premier League, it will never happen between the Premier and the Championship, so why have it between other leagues

simple money making racket.. aren't 46 games enough? so much so i'll even maintain this position when the pigs come third

Back
Top Bottom