Phil Jones

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Reaction score
Phil Jones is available on a free. Only 31. Premier league winner and England international.

When we played Man U in the PL , my lad asked me “What do you think our team will be today , Dad ?”

My answer was “ I’m not too bothered , as long as Phil Jones is in theirs .” And so it came to pass ……. :)

A shame for the lad as he looked as though he may turn out to be top class when he was young. He never really did it while at Man Utd and recent injuries have unfortunately and effectively finished his career.

Thought it was another I've got my scouting badges so I'm right from fallowfield

Unless we're entering the Premier League gurning competition or looking to get our physio's more practice it should be. Shard no.

Injury prone, high wages and over 30.

Can't think of a less likely signing we should make.

The level of disrespect to this bloke is unreal. The effect of ‘football Twitter’ is so strong they’ll have you believing a bloke that’s played for Man Utd for about ten years is shite. Look what’s happened to Harry Maguire. They’ve not had a holding midfielder for about 12 years and then every single central defender regardless of who they are can look like absolute shit. Maguire for example. He can be in the World Cup 11, euro 11, then turn into a conference player overnight? Varane? Multiple Champions league winner, goes to that mess that is Man Utd, turns into a shit defender? Fuck me! Perhaps the problem has been that club rather than these players.

Phil Jones is a very good footballer and would be a coup for us. Think about it objectively, pros and cons:

Pros:
Massively experienced
Free
Can play anywhere across the back 3, right back and could slide in at CDM (basham replacement?!)

Cons:
Injury record? If he can pass a rigorous fitness test? (Is the reason he hasn’t been playing for Man Utd his injuries or his status in the squad?)
Wages? (He will have to take a pay cut)
Pulls funny faces

Amazing people are turning their noses up at him when you think how hungry he will probably be to reinvent himself, at his age I reckon he’s got fucking loads to give.

IMO with our budget, needing cover at CB, be ideal signing frees in those places to focus any budget we have up top. I think a 3 year deal would be good if he can prove his fitness.

He’s played 6 league games in 4 years and in one of those got absolutely mullered by KFC’s star striker.

It’s a no from me.

The level of disrespect to this bloke is unreal. The effect of ‘football Twitter’ is so strong they’ll have you believing a bloke that’s played for Man Utd for about ten years is shite. Look what’s happened to Harry Maguire. They’ve not had a holding midfielder for about 12 years and then every single central defender regardless of who they are can look like absolute shit. Maguire for example. He can be in the World Cup 11, euro 11, then turn into a conference player overnight? Varane? Multiple Champions league winner, goes to that mess that is Man Utd, turns into a shit defender? Fuck me! Perhaps the problem has been that club rather than these players.

Phil Jones is a very good footballer and would be a coup for us. Think about it objectively, pros and cons:

Pros:
Massively experienced
Free
Can play anywhere across the back 3, right back and could slide in at CDM (basham replacement?!)

Cons:
Injury record? If he can pass a rigorous fitness test? (Is the reason he hasn’t been playing for Man Utd his injuries or his status in the squad?)
Pulls funny faces

Amazing people are turning their noses up at him when you think how hungry he will probably be to reinvent himself, at his age I reckon he’s got fucking loads to give.

IMO with our budget, needing cover at CB, be ideal signing frees in those places to focus any budget we have up top. I think a 3 year deal would be good if he can prove his fitness.

I do agree to a certain extent. He clearly has talent but because he’s not good enough for Man U it gets blown out of proportion and he’s all of a sudden not good enough for championship football let alone premier league. Chris Smalling is a good example, got slaughtered at Man U, but now seems to be doing well at Roma.

The problem is the injury record, he’s hardly played in 4 years, so that instantly rules him out for me.

Pros:
Massively experienced
Free

Cons:
Pulls funny faces

You're right he's a talented player. Three years ago I think I supported taking a punt on him. His career has been ruined by injuries though, it's hard to see a way back for him. On the rare occasions he managed to get on the pitch, OF COURSE he was way off the pace/ sharpness required.

Man Utd fan at work told me yday that Solskjaer gave him a £110k pw contract said before whilst grotesque I have no issue with elite players earning disgusting figures as commercially they worth it and if they don’t take that money someone else will but Phil Jones on £110k pw is just obscene. That’s the problem with football

Man Utd fan at work told me yday that Solskjaer gave him a £110k pw contract said before whilst grotesque I have no issue with elite players earning disgusting figures as commercially they worth it and if they don’t take that money someone else will but Phil Jones on £110k pw is just obscene. That’s the problem with football
Jones was a fantastic prospect as a kid and got lauded as the next Duncan Edwards when moving to Man Utd due to his ability to excel in a variety of positions.

No idea what's happened with him but it says it all to me that I'd be hugely disappointed if we signed him on a free and paid him 5k a week.

Jones was a fantastic prospect as a kid and got lauded as the next Duncan Edwards when moving to Man Utd due to his ability to excel in a variety of positions.

No idea what's happened with him but it says it all to me that I'd be hugely disappointed if we signed him on a free and paid him 5k a week.
Indeed. Ferguson said he could be Man Utds best ever player.

He simply got too hyped too quickly and moved to a huge club way too soon. If he'd have done a couple of seasons at an Everton-level club (at the time), or if United had come close to replacing Keane/Scholes, it probably turns out a bit different

Back
Top Bottom