Paul Coutts

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Berlin Blade

Large Member
Reaction score
Couttseheh scored again tonight for Fleetwood. Really ripping it up in the same role he played so well for us for the magnificent 18 months pre leg break.

I completely understand why we let him go. I think his contract was up and there was absolutely no way we could have gambled on him returning to any type of form after that injury.

However, given that he has in fact returned seemingly to similar levels, (completely hypothetically because it’s obviously not going to happen) would anyone have him back here on an 18 month contract in Jan?

I personally would, because we know Wilder wants some cover for Norwood and I’m seriously scratching my head thinking about someone that fits the criteria of being good enough to do it that wouldn’t mind being backup. Norwood is obviously going to face suspension at some point this season and when that time comes we’re gonna have to completely change the system for a couple of games. Those 6 points could really be valuable come the end of the season. God forbid he gets injured and we have to shoehorn someone else in. Having him around as an option would be cheap, popular with fans, very useful and probably more beneficial to the squad than having Leon in the 25 and would give us time to get that long term signing right.

I am, however glad he is playing regular football in a successful side again. He deserves it.

Couttseheh scored again tonight for Fleetwood. Really ripping it up in the same role he played so well for us for the magnificent 18 months pre leg break.

I completely understand why we let him go. I think his contract was up and there was absolutely no way we could have gambled on him returning to any type of form after that injury.

However, given that he has in fact returned seemingly to similar levels, (completely hypothetically because it’s obviously not going to happen) would anyone have him back here on an 18 month contract in Jan?

I personally would, because we know Wilder wants some cover for Norwood and I’m seriously scratching my head thinking about someone that fits the criteria of being good enough to do it that wouldn’t mind being backup. Norwood is obviously going to face suspension at some point this season and when that time comes we’re gonna have to completely change the system for a couple of games. Those 6 points could really be valuable come the end of the season. God forbid he gets injured and we have to shoehorn someone else in. Having him around as an option would be cheap, popular with fans, very useful and probably more beneficial to the squad than having Leon in the 25 and would give us time to get that long term signing right.

I am, however glad he is playing regular football in a successful side again. He deserves it.

It's a fair point you make. At the top of his game Coutts was imperious as part of what I still consider to be our best ever midfield. The one grey area in all of this would be to do with the reasons why Wilder released Coutts in the first place. I recall Wilder saying it was the hardest decision he had to make in allowing Coutts to find another club, and the full reasons behind Wilder's decision may never be revealed. So whether he should be signed is something that only CW can answer.

My own personal regret is that Coutts never got the chance to show whether he could cut it at this level. We'll probably never find out, but from the way he had been playing before the atrocious injury I always felt he'd have been as successful in the Prem as he was in the Championship. Should Coutts have returned to something close to his best form then Wilder will have kept tabs on Coutts while at Fleetwood. However, if the step from Div 1 seems too far for Coutts to consider then Wilder will look elsewhere.

I'm glad you're not our manager mate. I mean, it's a lovely sentiment that you express about someone who once was a very good player, a key player, for us. But to suggest for one moment that a 31 year old ex-player, who couldn't get a regular place in our first team in the Championship last season, and is now plying his trade in the third tier of English football, should be, even could be, part of the plan to improve the current Premiership squad, well...I really don't follow your logic at all mate, sorry.

We need to be recruiting players at a level beyond what we currently have. It's really that simple. The kind of midfielders we need to be bringing in are players of the calibre like Nevez at Wolves. 22 year old, international standard, outstanding skills. That's how Wolves have taken the step up, by buying "above" the level of what they already had.

Anyhow, I suppose I'm the wrong person to ask. I never believe in "going back" in anything in life. I only believe in looking forward, trying to do better than before, not trying to repeat something that once worked in the past.

Good luck to Couttsy btw - it's great that he's doing well.

We should be looking for a younger, better version than Coutts, and indeed Norwood. That's how you evolve as a team and become better.

There will be players out there who fit the above criteria, just a bit more difficult trying to identify them.

I would prefer us to go for the lad Brannigan at Oxford as a possible long term replacement for Norwood.

Championship clubs WILL be sniffing in a few weeks.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Coutts contract with us should have had him tied down for longer, which would have meant the difficult decision for him to leave to play was not quite as straightforward.

Remember, a 1yr contract was offered and rejected by him, preferring regular football over being a squad player. Fair fucks for that.

With the limited impact that Besic and Ravel have had, again isn’t hindsight great, I have little doubt Coutts would have been a factor.

His skill set, in this Blades team would have been a terrific fit. And as good as ON has been, I’d.venture to suggest a fully fit and firing PC would have provided serious competition and asked serious questions of the gaffer as to who gets the shirt.

Great to hear he is bossing it again. Emphasis on again.

As someone once said, Rolls Royce of a baller 😉.

UTB

We should be looking for a younger, better version than Coutts, and indeed Norwood. That's how you evolve as a team and become better.

There will be players out there who fit the above criteria, just a bit more difficult trying to identify them.

I would prefer us to go for the lad Brannigan at Oxford as a possible long term replacement for Norwood.

Interesting. I don't know of this kid. I'm going to look him up now on YouTube then come back on here in a few minutes and tell you how good he is. ;)

Right...I'm back. Didn't find owt on YouChube but I found this photo of him

1574838810228.png

He's an ex-Liverpool academy player - he looks like the lovechild of Ian Rush to me! Must be good! Gerrimin!

That madden always scores 4 Fleetwood, don’t know much about him but when I look for Evan’s or Coutts Madden always seems to score 4 them

Delighted that Coutts is back to his best and playing so well, but no I wouldn’t have him back. It’s time to be looking forward, not backward, right now.

The next midfielder we bring in will be an upgrade on Norwood, not a stopgap cover for him.
One of Wilders many strengths is he doesn't do sentimentality, Couts was great for us but even the lads in the team now they know they can't drop off for a second with January on the horizon.

Interesting. I don't know of this kid. I'm going to look him up now on YouTube then come back on here in a few minutes and tell you how good he is. ;)

Right...I'm back. Didn't find owt on YouChube but I found this photo of him

View attachment 65436

He's an ex-Liverpool academy player - he looks like the lovechild of Ian Rush to me! Must be good! Gerrimin!

Duffy ought to have a look at what Coutts is doing.
A huge worry for us is if Norwood got a Coutts type injury , history really would repeat itself as players like he and Coutts are so hard to come by.

Ok, I'll side with the OP on this one. Yes, I'd take him back in a heartbeat and for all the sensible reasons the OP suggests in the final paragraph, assuming Coutts would be up to it.

After that kind of injury it takes many months to return to fitness after the actual injury has healed.
Sadly for Coutts, time wasn’t on his side, and for him to return to any kind of fitness he needed to be playing week in, week out.
Being in league one allows him to do that.
I have no doubt that a fully fit Coutts could play in the premier league, none whatsoever. Even in his 30’s.
However I doubt we would bring him in to play every week, and Coutts needs to play to reach his best. That was proven when he was here...once he got going he just got better and better.
Really is tragic what happened, he would have been bossing the premier league now but for that leg break in my opinion....I reckon we might even have been in our second season in the top flight.

Deserves a go at a top champ club, maybe a return to Preston where he could push them on to promotion?

time to bring in the youth... we seriously need to future proof the squad and inbed youngsters into our system of playing. If we can get a backup 11 of youthful players who know our system inside out, we are well set for the eventual replacement of our 30y+ players

Ched couldn’t do it in the championship whereas mitrovic scored 13 and Cairney scored six already.

If the Blades created an alumni of all the players that have represented us on this journey since August 2016 then Paul Coutts would be top of the list.

But we need to look forward and not back. I hope he brings Fleetwood the same level of success that he brought us.

Is he really "ripping it up"? Genuine question, I've been semi-following how he's doing but apart from the odd video clip of a nice bit of skill I haven't heard much talk about him. FWIW that was his first goal of the season (in the EFL trophy against Everton's academy side), he has 1 assist, is 9th on Fleetwood for total chances created (only 2 of those 9 have played more minutes than he has).

Is he really "ripping it up"? Genuine question, I've been semi-following how he's doing but apart from the odd video clip of a nice bit of skill I haven't heard much talk about him. FWIW that was his first goal of the season (in the EFL trophy against Everton's academy side), he has 1 assist, is 9th on Fleetwood for total chances created (only 2 of those 9 have played more minutes than he has).
In fairness, Coutts was an dictator rather than a creator.

I'm glad you're not our manager mate. I mean, it's a lovely sentiment that you express about someone who once was a very good player, a key player, for us. But to suggest for one moment that a 31 year old ex-player, who couldn't get a regular place in our first team in the Championship last season, and is now plying his trade in the third tier of English football, should be, even could be, part of the plan to improve the current Premiership squad, well...I really don't follow your logic at all mate, sorry.

We need to be recruiting players at a level beyond what we currently have. It's really that simple. The kind of midfielders we need to be bringing in are players of the calibre like Nevez at Wolves. 22 year old, international standard, outstanding skills. That's how Wolves have taken the step up, by buying "above" the level of what they already had.

Anyhow, I suppose I'm the wrong person to ask. I never believe in "going back" in anything in life. I only believe in looking forward, trying to do better than before, not trying to repeat something that once worked in the past.

Good luck to Couttsy btw - it's great that he's doing well.
You only believe in looking forward, Cerberus? Try using one of your spare heads to look back...

In fairness, Coutts was an dictator rather than a creator.

Yeah, hence the question - he appears to be "never giving the ball away" but I've not seen much else to suggest he's playing at such a high level that he should be playing in the league above, never mind two leagues above.

No malice at Coutts here, I loved watching the guy and hope he has a blinding season and leads Fleetwood to the Championship. But I've not seen any evidence that we made a mistake in letting him move on, particularly as the club was going in the opposite direction.

After getting back from our games I watch the highlights on the Sky sports app and then go and check the Fleetwood results straight away.

I do feel a bit sad that Coutts was such a massive part of some of my best recent United memories and he’s not with us riding high in the prem. loved watching him. But I’m very glad he’s back playing regularly and doing well.

Is the OP?:

a) High
b) Drunk
c) Both
d) a WUM
e) Not very clever
f) All of the above
Having an opinion on a footballer on a football forum.
Shocking !!!

Clearly must be f).

😀.

PS - is your post clearly

a. Looking for a row.
b. Demonstrating your preference for class a substances.
c. That you haven’t dipped your wick in quite some time and are feeling, well, a bit tense.

UTB

Having an opinion on a footballer on a football forum.
Shocking !!!

Clearly must be f).

😀.

PS - is your post clearly

a. Looking for a row.
b. Demonstrating your preference for class a substances.
c. That you haven’t dipped your wick in quite some time and are feeling, well, a bit tense.

UTB

Do you think it's a sensible suggestion to give Coutts an 18 month contract based on a few good performances for Fleetwood?

I'm glad you've come out of the other side of the self-flagellation that McBurnie scoring at the weekend must have induced.

Back
Top Bottom