Paddy Buckley

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Northyorksblade

Reaction score
Don't suppose many will remember him as he didn't play many games for us.
I have just got back from a cruise and was playing blackjack one night, when someone asked another player at the table, if he was from Barnsley. He said no, close but he was from Worksop. I asked him if he was a football fan and he said no, but if I was I suppose I'd be a Blade. I asked him why and he told me his dad used to play for United and in fact his god father was Tony Currie. Also his granddad played for Aberdeen and Scotland.
I found it quite strange that someone who'd had football around himself for most of his life, didn't follow a team. Perhaps he played local football, so never got into following a team. I didn't ask him, just lost a bit more money.😂
I actually did ok at the blackjack table. Was still playing with first day money on day five, but had a couple of bad days. Had fun at the table though.

I have just got back from a cruise and was playing blackjack one night, when someone asked another player at the table, if he was from Barnsley. He said no, close but he was from Worksop. I asked him if he was a football fan and he said no, but if I was I suppose I'd be a Blade. I asked him why and he told me his dad used to play for United and in fact his god father was Tony Currie. Also his granddad played for Aberdeen and Scotland.
I found it quite strange that someone who'd had football around himself for most of his life, didn't follow a team. Perhaps he played local football, so never got into following a team. I didn't ask him, just lost a bit more money.😂
I actually did ok at the blackjack table. Was still playing with first day money on day five, but had a couple of bad days. Had fun at the table though.
There is a photo of him in today's 1968/69 post. He and TC were good friends. Paddy was a big racing fan. He managed Goole FC in the 1980s and TC played a few games for them.

Remember watching a United on TV highlights video (pre Sky) which had action from when United were on Match of the Day. One game was Arsenal away at Highbury and it was the debut for Paddy Buckley for United (in white away shirt that day) as he had just signed from someone in midweek. Hodgy was also mentioned by the commentators pre match. Anyway we got thumped that day (might have been 5-1?). Paddy seemed to have a short rotund figure and the complete opposite of how a footballer looks like these days. Different days. Not sure Paddy's career at United ever really took off, but he pulled on the red n white shirt so that deserves a tip of the hat.

Paddy also gave back to the game long after he retired professionally.
Played and managed in local football for a successful Sunday league team, Olive Grove.

A left sided player, if I remember correctly, aways remember his name down as a sub in the programme, don't think he actually started a game when I started going to the Lane.

Remember watching a United on TV highlights video (pre Sky) which had action from when United were on Match of the Day. One game was Arsenal away at Highbury and it was the debut for Paddy Buckley for United (in white away shirt that day) as he had just signed from someone in midweek. Hodgy was also mentioned by the commentators pre match. Anyway we got thumped that day (might have been 5-1?). Paddy seemed to have a short rotund figure and the complete opposite of how a footballer looks like these days. Different days. Not sure Paddy's career at United ever really took off, but he pulled on the red n white shirt so that deserves a tip of the
That video gave Paddy Buckley the kind of immortality, Benie Traore can expect, when the 100 years of Blades on Match of the Day DVD is released ...

Remember watching a United on TV highlights video (pre Sky) which had action from when United were on Match of the Day. One game was Arsenal away at Highbury and it was the debut for Paddy Buckley for United (in white away shirt that day) as he had just signed from someone in midweek. Hodgy was also mentioned by the commentators pre match. Anyway we got thumped that day (might have been 5-1?). Paddy seemed to have a short rotund figure and the complete opposite of how a footballer looks like these days. Different days. Not sure Paddy's career at United ever really took off, but he pulled on the red n white shirt so that deserves a tip of the hat.
Paddy's debut v Arsenal in January 1968 was a 1-1 draw

In preparing a post for the 1963-64 thread just now, I came across this bit of information about him. He had just signed for Wolves at the age of 17 for a reported fee of £10000, a huge sum for a youngster then. And Wolves had a lot of good forwards in their squad. He didn’t play that evening (March 31, 1964)
97722D52-0F9D-40C2-AA8A-4CC43C40BDBE.jpeg

This is true , I remember it well - the flying pig - dunno whether he ever left the ground though - I think it was a reference to his speed rather than his altitude

3:10 here…

Cracking story .
I cant stand spain but went to a family holiday there weeks after Wednesday beat us Wembley in the semi.
In walks the cunt who I hated , David Hurst.
He bought me my sister drinks all night he was a proper gent . He was actually sleeping on the floor of the pub as no hotel . He went out to magaluff at last minute and slept on the floor a couple days .
Everyday he was there for us looking for us.

I remember him as sub a lot like has been mentioned..it was in the days of only1sub,and he got the odd run out on the left wing,but never held down a regular start.

Paddy seemed to have a short rotund figure and the complete opposite of how a footballer looks like these days.

nintchdbpict000293803079.jpg

"Here, hold my pint..."

In preparing a post for the 1963-64 thread just now, I came across this bit of information about him. He had just signed for Wolves at the age of 17 for a reported fee of £10000, a huge sum for a youngster then. And Wolves had a lot of good forwards in their squad. He didn’t play that evening (March 31, 1964)
View attachment 181594
Dick le Flem? Sounds delightful!

Always got him mixed up with Bill Punton, similar shape, position on left wing, Always remember Bill for that winning goal against the pigs ( Feb.1967) at the Kop end - two inches out I think.!!

Dick le Flem? Sounds delightful!
I can remember being at the Lane back in the early/mid 60's for a game against Forest. Their two wingers were Dick Le Flem on the left wing and a certain Trevor Hockey on the right wing. Before Brum converted him to an aggressive midfielder, with whom he became a legend here for us doing the 'dirty' stuff to allow the likes of TC and Woody do their bit.

Back
Top Bottom