Over reaction?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Silent Blade

Reaction score
To be honest I thought Danny Wilson had done wonders at Barnsley and I was envious that Wendy appointed him as their new manager. I think the big reason why he failed to keep wendy up was that he couldnt handle the big stars such as Di Canio and Carbone and I thought he had suffered bad luck. His record at other clubs are not that bad but I dont know why it went all wrong at Swindon in the 2010-11 season (for many reasons I am disillusioned with professional football especially since the PL let West Ham scot free so I have not been really following the happenings at other clubs with interest). He wasnt my choice to replace Adams but I will still give him a chance to see what he can do for us and he may surprise us. McCabe is entitled to make his own choice as he is the one keeping us afloat with his money. yes he has made some mistakes (the worst one was appointing Robson as our new manager in 2007) but he is trying to get us back into the big time. If I was wealthy enough, I would never become a football chairman as I wouldnt be able to forsee whether I would be lucky with the decisions I make (appointing the right people at the club, dealing with injuries, dealing with greedy football agents etc and also a lot of modern football fans are unreasonable

Absolutely not an over-reaction.

This is a man who stated publicly that he "despised Sheffield United". This is a man who had a worse record last season than Micky Adams.

Says it all.

Here is the light at then end of the tunnel.
[youtube]ytcGzs4kMn4[/youtube]
[youtube]B79JMiUhciE[/youtube]

Did he actually say that? That will make me even angrier than I already am :mad:

This is a man who stated publicly that he "despised Sheffield United". This is a man who had a worse record last season than Micky Adams.

Says it all.

So McCabe is entitled to get who he wants because it's his money, but the fans who also pay their money are not entitled to not like it. Let me know how much money you need to have put into United to have a good moan

Says it all.

Danny Wilson's record last season was NOT worse than Adams record here.

At the time of Wison's departure, Swindon had 31 points from 33 games, and (courtesy of Plymouth's 10 point deduction) were just above the relegation zone.

It's not even worse than Hart's record of 10 points from the final 13 games. And clearly the loss of Austin affected hart as well. Only 8 goals scored in those 13 games, 2 being in the last game of the season against an already safe Tranmere.

Did he actually say that? That will make me even angrier than I already am :mad:

I'm going off various twitter and forum posts, trying desperately to find a source for it. I'll try and confirm as and when I can.

---------- Post added at 08:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:18 PM ----------

At the time of Wison's departure, Swindon had 31 points from 33 games, and (courtesy of Plymouth's 10 point deduction) were just above the relegation zone.

It's not even worse than Hart's record of 10 points from the final 13 games. And clearly the loss of Austin affected hart as well. Only 8 goals scored in those 13 games, 2 being in the last game of the season against an already safe Tranmere.

Hmm, I stand corrected. I still do not think it is an over-reaction.

An over-reaction? Perhaps on the protest front but not on the reasons:

1. Wednesday fan
2. Ex Wednesday player
3. Ex Wednesday manager.
4. Took MK Dons down from league 1
5. Took Swindon down from league 1
6. Couldn't take a strong bristol city side up from league 1 (It took Gary Johnson 1 attempt after Wilson's 4 years)
7. Failed with Hartlepool in league 1 almost getting them relegated (Turner came in and saved them I think)

Personality - strong pig relations
League 1 experience - frickin awful

I'm hanging on the fence by a pube at present. I can't stop supporting the blades, hell I can't wait for the season to start now, but this is a strong test for us all. I hope we come through it, I hope Wilson ends up being a success because that's what we all want. This is quite possibly the most important appointment we've made in recent history (Norwich are living proof of this) but I fear this has been well and truely fucked up. Quite frankly I'd rather sniff a fart in my gym shoe than see a pig in charge but if the decision has been made there's little we can do but back him. If McCabe hasn't listened to the fans on this or any other appointment he wont listen now

1. Wednesday fan
2. Ex Wednesday player
3. Ex Wednesday manager.
6. Couldn't take a strong bristol city side up from league 1 (It took Gary Johnson 1 attempt after Wilson's 4 years)
7. Failed with Hartlepool in league 1 almost getting them relegated (Turner came in and saved them I think)

I'm hanging on the fence by a pube at present. I can't stop supporting the blades, hell I can't wait for the season to start now, but this is a strong test for us all. I hope we come through it, I hope Wilson ends up being a success because that's what we all want. This is quite possibly the most important appointment we've made in recent history (Norwich are living proof of this) but I fear this has been well and truely fucked up. Quite frankly I'd rather sniff a fart in my gym shoe than see a pig in charge but if the decision has been made there's little we can do but back him. If McCabe hasn't listened to the fans on this or any other appointment he wont listen now

Now now BladeInThatcham, highlight the positives too.... Oh hang on you did!

No of course he didn't! Why would he? It's a complete fabrication by those on a self-appointed mission. Truth and honesty doesn't come into it.

Piggy Maguire must never wear the shirt again - get up to Shirecliffe and let him know how you feel!

It wasnt just losing Charlie Austin in January, they had already lost Billy Paynter at the start of the season to Leeds as well.

He had build an excellent side at Swindon, which was dismantled from under his feet.

1. Wednesday fan
2. Ex Wednesday player
3. Ex Wednesday manager.

Where did you get the information that he was a Wednesday supporter? Is he? He isn't even from Yorkshire , let alone Sheffield.

And he did not take Swindon down. He built a very good side at Swindon, transforming them from a relegation threatened side to play off finalists in 2 years, whilst playing some nice football. Key elements of the side then got sold, but in spite of that they were not in a relegation position when he resigned.

Got Hartlepool promoted to league 1 in the first place.

Derek Dooley, Wednesday player, manager and one time supporter, but a definite positive influence at United.

Ian Porterfield. Wednesday player, but a good manager of Sheffield United.

---------- Post added at 09:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:48 PM ----------

It wasnt just losing Charlie Austin in January, they had already lost Billy Paynter at the start of the season to Leeds as well.

He had build an excellent side at Swindon, which was dismantled from under his feet.

And I think they lost another defender in the transfer window.

As I've said elsewhere, my son watches Swindon regularly. He feels that most supporters were resigned to relegation as soon as they knew Austin was going.

Ian Porterfield. Wednesday player, but a good manager of Sheffield United.

Very true. Also true that he came on the back of 2 promotions. Sheridan would have been decently received.

If you're going to employ Ex Wendy players / managers, it should be based on exceptional circumstances. If McCabe needs pointing out why Wilson doesn't fit the bill then he's truly lost the plot.

UTB

Sheridan would not be accepted.
The man doesn't even have the basic command of English

In reply to the original post, no I don't think it is an over-reaction. It's what I would have expected as the appointment of Wilson if true would be disgraceful.

Have to say I am fundamentally opposed to ex-pigs getting any managerial position at the Lane, whether that be team manager, coach, Chairman, director or even reserve team coach. We had it before with Porterfield and Dooley, who were quite happy to see United playing second fiddle to the pigs. Coudln't stand seeing Ellis involved at United and ditto with Mark Smith.

Hopefully with all the outrage tonight McCabe will come to his senses (if he has any left) and put a stop to this madness.

In reply to the original post, no I don't think it is an over-reaction. It's what I would have expected as the appointment of Wilson if true would be disgraceful.

Have to say I am fundamentally opposed to ex-pigs getting any managerial position at the Lane, whether that be team manager, coach, Chairman, director or even reserve team coach. We had it before with Porterfield and Dooley, who were quite happy to see United playing second fiddle to the pigs. Coudln't stand seeing Ellis involved at United and ditto with Mark Smith.

Hopefully with all the outrage tonight McCabe will come to his senses (if he has any left) and put a stop to this madness.

To highlight but two strands of the nonsense above:

Ian Porterfield left us two divisions higher than when he took over. Please name another SUFC manager who can claim as much?

Why does your self-confessed prejudice not extend to players? You wouldn't be a hypocrite, now would you?

Piggy Maguire out!

To be honest I thought Danny Wilson had done wonders at Barnsley and I was envious that Wendy appointed him as their new manager. I think the big reason why he failed to keep wendy up was that he couldnt handle the big stars such as Di Canio and Carbone and I thought he had suffered bad luck. His record at other clubs are not that bad but I dont know why it went all wrong at Swindon in the 2010-11 season (for many reasons I am disillusioned with professional football especially since the PL let West Ham scot free so I have not been really following the happenings at other clubs with interest). He wasnt my choice to replace Adams but I will still give him a chance to see what he can do for us and he may surprise us. McCabe is entitled to make his own choice as he is the one keeping us afloat with his money. yes he has made some mistakes (the worst one was appointing Robson as our new manager in 2007) but he is trying to get us back into the big time. If I was wealthy enough, I would never become a football chairman as I wouldnt be able to forsee whether I would be lucky with the decisions I make (appointing the right people at the club, dealing with injuries, dealing with greedy football agents etc and also a lot of modern football fans are unreasonable
Good to see a sensible post on here. Protest all you like guys. Alienate the new manager(whoever he is) why don't you. Since it appears non of us has a wedge big enough to get McC out. Get behind the TEAM ffs

The final two years of Porterfield produced shocking football at the Lane. Him, Dooley and Pritchett were all quite happy to see United play second fiddle to Wednesday in the 80s.

Quite simple why I don't want ex pigs in managerial jobs at the Lane, they are all positions within United that gives control on the club. Players quite obviously can be cleansed of their past sins, look at Quinny, Geary and Bromby.

At least he's used to the Bramall Lane way.

Good to see a sensible post on here. Protest all you like guys. Alienate the new manager(whoever he is) why don't you. Since it appears non of us has a wedge big enough to get McC out. Get behind the TEAM ffs

Woof!

My gripe isn't with Wilson so much as the position McCabe has put him in. It's the fans who have been alienated here, Sirius, not the new manager. And McCabe must have known this would happen. Getting behind the team is the easy bit. It's the rest of the bollocks that grinds you down.

The final two years of Porterfield produced shocking football at the Lane. Him, Dooley and Pritchett were all quite happy to see United play second fiddle to Wednesday in the 80s.

Quite simple why I don't want ex pigs in managerial jobs at the Lane, they are all positions within United that gives control on the club. Players quite obviously can be cleansed of their past sins, look at Quinny, Geary and Bromby.

Porterfield was manager for nearly 5 seasons. We won two promotions and in every single season finished in a higher league position than the season before.

The reason we were second fiddle to Wednesday was because we had fallen so far before Porterfield's arrival. Remember, we were 2 divisions below them when he became our manager. The fact that we were behind them was hardly his fault, or Dooley's for that matter.

Porterfield was manager for nearly 5 seasons. We won two promotions and in every single season finished in a higher league position than the season before.

The reason we were second fiddle to Wednesday was because we had fallen so far before Porterfield's arrival. Remember, we were 2 divisions below them when he became our manager. The fact that we were behind them was hardly his fault, or Dooley's for that matter.

Perfectly true. Porterfield was a great appointment for us.

UTB

I don't like the idea of appointing people with Wednesday connections as United manager, but if they are the best man for the job, or a good appointment, those connections aren't relevant to me, and I'll set them aside.

But there are bigger problems with Wilson. With the exception of league 2 promotion, his record over the last 10 years is less than stellar, to say the least. Of particular concern:

- repeated playoff failure
- let go at Hartlepool for "taking them as far as he can". That's Hartlepool.
- Bristol City and Hartlepool both saw almost immediate improvement upon his departure and have never returned to the level he left them at
- a seeming inability to work under financial constraints, which let's face it, he's gonna experience again

Given this background, what the Hell do United see in him? Objectively, it's a puzzling appointment at best, and at worst a deeply unambitious/dumb one.

Make no mistake, if this sort of thinking continues we are going to League 2.

So McCabe is entitled to get who he wants because it's his money, but the fans who also pay their money are not entitled to not like it. Let me know how much money you need to have put into United to have a good moan

Just enough to buy McC out then you can do something positive. Otherwise moan all you like for free. ,Demonstrate by all means but IMO it will make us all look like a load of tossers and give the pigs a laugh.
Only the other week we were congratulating ourselves for being so dignified following our relegation.

Extract from above - "Four Sheffield based MPs including David Blunkett called for his head in January 2000 (he picked up the Premier League's Manager of the Month award in January 2000) following some poor results like losing 8–0 to Newcastle United. Bassetlaw MP Joe Ashton said after his sacking: "Danny was a lovely fellow, but he couldn't do it (manage Sheffield Wednesday).[2]"

8-0, 8 bloody nil! We could soon become Barnstoneworth United! :mad:

Some understandably strong views.

Smells to me like the only man left standing after the interviews,given that it would appear many candidates binned us off after the constraints became known, was Wilson and that by default, he now has the job.

Which roughly translated means he was the ONLY one sad enough and desperate enough to say "OK I'll give it a go".

Agree with others in that I can forgive and forget the pig links but if this is the best we can do right now then nothing I have ever typed before can express how low as a Blade I feel right now. In 30 + years.
:(:mad::hello:

I SO hope I'm wrong but the facts are he has done nothing positive at all since the Barnsley promotion, he has left or been sacked by clubs in relegation trouble ever since. I can only see us going one way and it ain't upwards.

Back
Top Bottom