Our goal v. Citeh. McBurnie offside?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Yewsman

Smitten Blade
Reaction score
Interested for input from the experts here. Saw our goal live and also on MOTD. McB looked offside and was right on top of keeper so thought there was good argument that he was interfering with play but ref didn’t seem to refer it to VAR which seemed odd as he gave pretty much every other decision against us. The on MOTD Shearer said that Kyle Walker was “playing him onside”. However Walker was clearly off the pitch and behind the goal line so how can he be playing him on? Anyone know the rules here.

Thanks Guesty and Beans! Glad the great Alan Shearer got it right. Shame he didn’t explain for the ignoramouses like me!

I'll be honest I really thought this was a newish addition to the offside law but apparently it's been in use since 2008! I can even remember an opposition player stepping beyond the goalline last season against us and appealing for offside (might have been Ndiaye's first against Blackburn?), he clearly didn't get the memo.

I'll be honest I really thought this was a newish addition to the offside law but apparently it's been in use since 2008! I can even remember an opposition player stepping beyond the goalline last season against us and appealing for offside (might have been Ndiaye's first against Blackburn?), he clearly didn't get the memo.
I think it was the one off Illy's arse!

My favourite was the West Brom player appealing for offside while stood on the line for Anel's goal 😂

Ref got most other decisions wrong, so I think we're due a decision now & then

still cant believe anel didnt launch himself with a diving header on mcburnies cross would only have had to head it back across edison for 2 - 2 😳🙄

I believe that if a defender goes behind the goal line without asking permission to leave the pitch, he counts as on the goal line for the purposes of Offside, so he was playing McBurnie on.

This. Walker still counted as in play with the rules (thanks Kyle!). Otherwise it would be a potential loophole for defenders to just step out of play to play an opponent offside.

I don't quite understand this 'deflection' argument.

Just ignoring the Walker playing Mcburnie onside. If McBurnie is offside at the point of the ball leaving Bogle's boot then he's offside. There is a period of time (seconds) where he remains offside until there is a deflection.

That deflection surely doesn't over rule the period when he was offside.

I don't quite understand this 'deflection' argument.

Just ignoring the Walker playing Mcburnie onside. If McBurnie is offside at the point of the ball leaving Bogle's boot then he's offside. There is a period of time (seconds) where he remains offside until there is a deflection.

That deflection surely doesn't over rule the period when he was offside.
Agreed, I don't know why people think a deflection means nothing can be offside.

The offside happens when the ball is played forward by an "attacker".

If it touches a defender after that it doesn't affect the offside at all.

Also I believe players can't just leave and re-enter the field of play without permission, similar to injured etc. Seems quite a clear rule tbh. Glad it was blades fan walker but he also fucked up the advertising board! 😂

Also I believe players can't just leave and re-enter the field of play without permission, similar to injured etc. Seems quite a clear rule tbh. Glad it was blades fan walker but he also fucked up the advertising board! 😂
This will be handy for JLT to know, when he launches oppo players over the hoardings. They get booked for leaving the pitch !

I seem to remember that the rule was brought in because someone did the same and a goal was disallowed. Can't remember who but it was a fairly high profile game from memory.

Mcburnie was also not interfering with play or blocking the keepers line of sight and made no attempt to challenge for the ball.
Yeah I'm certain the commentator at the time said something to this effect. It makes enough sense how fucked off would you be if you was for some reason stood at the corner flag when a goal went in and because you're technically offside the goal was disallowed.

I'm sure last season we had a controversial goal given because of this? I think it might have involved Berge but I could be making that up. Sounds familiar though

But the ball did go out of the penalty area, towards the halfway line, until Souza’s challenge?

Not via the defending team though. Traore passes it to Hamer and it deflects back to Souza.

They had this debate on MOTD, he wasn't offside as he didn't interfere with play or impede the keeper, he was just there.

Not via the defending team though. Traore passes it to Hamer and it deflects back to Souza.
Good job that the defender didn’t clear it then, there might have been a question to ask. Which shows how stupid the rule is - if the player is off the pitch they should be playing everyone onside until the ball goes out or they return to the field.

Good job that the defender didn’t clear it then, there might have been a question to ask. Which shows how stupid the rule is - if the player is off the pitch they should be playing everyone onside until the ball goes out or they return to the field.
If the ball has gone back to the other half of the field and the defender is still off the pitch, it can only be because he's injured. It would be a bit harsh if he still counted as playing the opposition onside.

As for the new rule in 2008, I think that was only a matter of writing down what was already general practice. I remember a game in Burnley's fourth division days (1985-92) when the defender stepped off, or stayed off, the pitch hoping to play the opponents offside, and the crowd (or at least some of them) shouting at him to get back on because that wasn't the rule.

If the ball has gone back to the other half of the field and the defender is still off the pitch, it can only be because he's injured. It would be a bit harsh if he still counted as playing the opposition onside
I agree with that but that’s not what the rule quoted earlier says - the ball is only required to leave the penalty area in the direction of the other half, ie not out towards the wings. So if a defender had cleared it instead of Hamer’s heel on Sunday, Walker wouldn’t have played anybody onside, even though the ball only just cleared the penalty area.

Ref watch on Monday said walker was playing him onside by being off the pitch

Back
Top Bottom