Osborn RWB - novel tactical change

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

JJFearnley

Reaction score
When Osborn switched over to RWB there was a subtle change from our usual set up when he's played in that position before.

The issue with having a left footer on the right side is that they can get trapped by a good press when we play out from defence. The ball goes across the back from left to right, ends up with Osborn who has to close his body and face infield/towards his own goal to control it with his left foot. His only pass is back where it came from but that's where all the opposition forwards are pressing from. If he was right footed, his body is open when he receives the ball and is facing downfield, giving him the option of a pass into midfield or down the line. The left footer can play the ball forward but since they're facing their own goal as they do so the pass is blind. A ball forward from a right footer is more accurate because they can see where they are playing it.

How did Hecky+team solve this?

From our goal kicks, Basham went to right back, Osborn to right midfield. We passed out of defence using 4 players instead of 5. Basham didn't get trapped on his wrong foot and could clip the ball into the channel for Sharp, inside for Berge/Doyle or even down the line for Osborn. If Ossy loses the ball in this position it's on half way and more than half of the team is behind the ball ready to cover so the damage is much less.

There are still limitations to Ossy at RWB but I thought this was a clever solution from our coaching team and one I've not previously seen from other teams.

Perisic is right footed but plays on the left so it was easier for Osborn to force him having to play with his weaker foot

Perisic is right footed but plays on the left so it was easier for Osborn to force him having to play with his weaker foot
Perešić is two footed so that wasn't the case. Additionally, a left footed player at right back will naturally want their opponent to turn inside, which in the case of a right footed winger playing on the left would turn them onto their stronger foot.

1677840345595.png

The bigger issue was that Spurs got no support to the man with the ball, be that Perešić or anyone else. They weren't at all a team.

But you said he's right footed and Osborn could force him onto his weak foot.

He doesn't have a weak foot.
That’s interesting, didn’t know Perisic is either footed, thought he was left.

In fact, in the first half just in front of us on the JSS/Kop corner, Perisic looked to cross with his left then turned back and crossed with his right, Trig Jnr (TY) said, imagine Ben doing that!

Nothing at all against Ben, he was my MOM on Wednesday, very impressive the way he switched from left side to right and particularly for his performing walrus routine as he bamboozled several Spurs player with his keepy uppys, looked like he’d lost the ball and still made a pass to Doyle I think.

Meh, Osborne is a professional. Should be able to use both feet really.

Should not be a problem, in fact could be the opposite, being able to cut in and shoot/pass/cross with left foot from the right?

My son plays as a LW even though he's predominantly right footed, never been a problem for him. Body shape and positioning is key though, don't get me wrong.

Back
Top Bottom