Opinions on the current squad

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Hi, a decent enough assessment of the players for me.

In terms of players staying or going [apart from some obvious ones who are crap, knackered or out of contract] it will of course depend entirely upon which league we are in.

If we do make it through the play offs then there's only so many in the current squad who will 'hack it' any hows.

Of the experienced, senior squad I think Howard, Harris, Brayford, Basham, Freeman, McE, Coutts [can't believe I'm saying him but there you go], Baxter [hopefully a few pounds lighter], Holt, Scougall, Murphy, Flynn, Done and Davies are 'stayers' / 'keepers' and could do a job at a higher level.

On the junior side I'd retain Kennedy, McN, Reed, Che Adams - all good investments for the future.

Undecided about J Wallace but as he has another 15 mths left on his contract I'd probably keep on - as it is no one [other than Utd] will go for a player who's crocked.

Definately 'out':

Alcock, Collins, Doyle [though as ex capt and the fact that he's very much respected down here so I'd keep in on in a coaching capacity], B Davies, Campbell R, Cuvelier, Higdon, B Wallace and Girlamo.

In: Got to sort out the CH positions once and for all - League 1 or Championship. Plus we still need a goal scorer - particularly so if we do make it up.

UTB
In terms of 'in', I also meant to say proper back up and competition for Howard.

FFS it's not "timber", he's just built like that. Clough of all managers would not retain a fat, lazy player - that much is obvious.

Tell you what. I'll take this a bit further.

Marlon King lasted a couple of weeks. Lyle Taylor a little longer. Fabian Brandy similar. Collins bad attitude. Butler bad attitude. Campbell-Ryce - must be similar. McNulty iffy?, must be. Done - well somethings up?!! Adams- must be a fancy dan? Diego -attitude.

Oh just a minute, Baxter is a lazy, fat, malingerer, OK THATS ALRIGHT !! WTF> It recurs time and time again. Can we put it to bed once and for all?

Last edited:

Marlon King lasted a couple of weeks. Lyle Taylor a little longer. Fabian Brandy similar. Collins bad attitude. Butler bad attitude. Campbell-Ryce - must be similar. McNulty iffy. Done - well somethings up?!! Adams- must be a fancy dan. Diego -attitude.

Oh just a minute, Baxter is a lazy, fat, malingerer, OK THATS ALRIGHT !! WTF> It recurs time and time again. Can we put it to bed once and for all?

Done is carrying a ongoing groin injury . No hidden agenda with that one. Its something up with a injury nothing else. Clough is being sensible.

UTB

Done is carrying a ongoing groin injury . No hidden agenda with that one. Its something up with a injury nothing else. Clough is being sensible.

UTB

There's nothing sensible my Lord about putting a player with a groin strain on the bench with the play-offs looming.

What about the main point re Baxter?

There's nothing sensible my Lord about putting a player with a groin strain on the bench with the play-offs looming.

What about the main point re Baxter?

Woody . Play the right players around Baxter and the bloke will come good . Comes in for a lot of unfair criticism IMO . You play players to there strengths . As Fulwood has said on numerous occasions , too many round pegs , in round holes , which does not gel or work and can make good players look poor .

We know that , and Clough should know that by now.

UTB

I'd question whether many of those players are big enough, hard enough or physical enough for a higher level.
We seem to have swallowed a myth about our football and our players being better suited to a higher level because of the way the game is played compared with the 3rd division. I think many are in for a surprise. By comparison I reckon 2nd division players, especially midfield and central defenders are f***ing enormous compared with what we've got ourselves and what we've faced this season.

We either need to recruit bigger and more physical players for most positions, or we need to acquire two utter bastards to look after our short-arses and bully opponents.

Absolutely right. When we played Hull at Wembley some of our players said that, close up, Hull's players were built like 'welterweight boxers'. Of course the higher up in sport you get, the better physically-conditioned the participants are.

This 'more suited to a higher level' is utter toss. Similar to how we'll suddenly start stroking it around like Barca on the new pitch. Not only has NC not achieved owt in his near 17 years in management, it seems he's learned nowt either.

I watch international rugby union and, for the last couple of years, have noticed something sewn into the back of the players shirts. It's about the size of a fag packet (and half the thickness) and is positioned between the shoulder blades. It's a radio transmitter connected to GPS. Not only does it monitor distance ran but critical things such as hydration levels, a sudden drop in performance (possibly indicating time to be substituted/too soon return after injury) and general fatigue/cramp. I can't believe that football hasn't taken this up.

Just one example is shipping J C-R out to Notts County. Maybe their training regime and C-R's adjustment to it triggered his latest injury?

Marlon King lasted a couple of weeks. Lyle Taylor a little longer. Fabian Brandy similar. Collins bad attitude. Butler bad attitude. Campbell-Ryce - must be similar. McNulty iffy?, must be. Done - well somethings up?!! Adams- must be a fancy dan? Diego -attitude.

Baxters got a pidgean chest makes him look a bit porky

I watch international rugby union and, for the last couple of years, have noticed something sewn into the back of the players shirts. It's about the size of a fag packet (and half the thickness) and is positioned between the shoulder blades. It's a radio transmitter connected to GPS. Not only does it monitor distance ran but critical things such as hydration levels, a sudden drop in performance (possibly indicating time to be substituted/too soon return after injury) and general fatigue/cramp. I can't believe that football hasn't taken this up.

Just one example is shipping J C-R out to Notts County. Maybe their training regime and C-R's adjustment to it triggered his latest injury?

I'd guess FIFA would object, they don't like technology. Otherwise surely the likes of Allardyce would be all over it.

Back
Top Bottom