One more year!!

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

One more year

• Yes

Votes: 163 38.4%
  • No

Votes: 263 62.0%

• Total voters

TomHeffernan

Reaction score
C7886BA5-643F-44C6-9E33-CCB43A1E38A7.jpeg
View attachment trim.24F6D419-D6A8-4E6D-8C3C-BB3A780E01A3.MOV

So the crowd chanted “one more year!” I probably agree to be fair. Although the goals have dried up a little he’s actually played well this year when called upon.

People say sentimentality shouldn’t come into it. Why not? It’s football. Personally I’d like to say my goodbyes to him on the pitch rather than on the town hall balcony.

Knowing how little game time he’d have he’d probably accept £10,000 a week? £500,000 a year? Surely that’s worth it for what he brings to the dressing room.

So the vote is simple. One last year and we get a full season to say our goodbyes or no thanks, not for me.

View attachment 160337
View attachment 160338

So the crowd chanted “one more year!” I probably agree to be fair. Although the goals have dried up a little he’s actually played well this year when called upon.

People say sentimentality shouldn’t come into it. Why not? It’s football. Personally I’d like to say my goodbyes to him on the pitch rather than on the town hall balcony.

Knowing how little game time he’d have he’d probably accept £10,000 a week? £500,000 a year? Surely that’s worth it for what he brings to the dressing room.

So the vote is simple. One last year and we get a full season to say our goodbyes or no thanks, not for me.
Nah. He's been amazing. But time waits for no man, sadly.

Sadly no for reasons I have stated elsewhere.

He is still a legend and probably deserves a statue or a stand naming.

I get the reservations on Billy Sharp, the player, at 37. Certainly back in the PL. But Billy Sharp, the club captain, has been - & remains - an absolute dressing room driver. Fiercely proud of his club & a policer of standards. One more year for me.

I voted yes, provided the finances can be made to reflect his diminished contribution on the pitch. Billy’s sort of leadership and connection to the fans and the club’s history is rare these days. It would sit better with me if he were leaving on his own terms.

View attachment 160337
View attachment 160338

Was in bits then and in bits now. My hero growing up ❤️

I get the reservations on Billy Sharp, the player, at 37. Certainly back in the PL. But Billy Sharp, the club captain, has been - & remains - an absolute dressing room driver. Fiercely proud of his club & a policer of standards. One more year for me.

True but from the players own words there are quite a few leaders in that dressing room.

Absolutely not.

Although when we does come back I hope it's as a assistant/coach, managers very rare last for more than a couple of seasons now.

Heart says yes, head says no.

Can’t not love him for everything he’s done, his commitment and genuine love for the club. Bona fide legend who we all want to go on forever.

But is there anything left to offer? In the changing room, on the training ground; undoubtedly. On the pitch? At 37, stepping up to the toughest league in the world, when he’s not lit the place on fire in the league below? And when every penny in the budget is going to be vital? I’m not so sure.

Would feel odd going into next season- especially with all the extra PL hoopla- without him around. He’s been such a constant focal point throughout the years; promotions, PL highs, etc. But also during the McCabe/Abdullah dust up and the Wilder fall out… at least we always had Billy around.

Just glad its not me making the decision.

Heart says yes, head says no.

Can’t not love him for everything he’s done, his commitment and genuine love for the club. Bona fide legend who we all want to go on forever.

But is there anything left to offer? In the changing room, on the training ground; undoubtedly. On the pitch? At 37, stepping up to the toughest league in the world, when he’s not lit the place on fire in the league below? And when every penny in the budget is going to be vital? I’m not so sure.

Would feel odd going into next season- especially with all the extra PL hoopla- without him around. He’s been such a constant focal point throughout the years; promotions, PL highs, etc. But also during the McCabe/Abdullah dust up and the Wilder fall out… at least we always had Billy around.

Just glad its not me making the decision.
They say there's no sentiment in business but there should be room for love for the guy who has been a credit to Sheffield,himself and the football club.

What an iconic photo of Billy, its visceral in its portrayal of pride and sadness!

Don't be sad though Billy lad, you actually achieved your dream and you will be remembered long after everyone on this board has turned to dust mate!

You will always be a Blade Legend to me and your signed picture will always adorn my wall!

Hi Stegosaurus here,

Nope. Sharp will be a liability in the Prem. Imagine him coming on as a sub, and chasing a long ball at his now glacier-like pace which Brewster or McBurnie may have got on the end of. Granted, it's doubtful McBurnie or Brewster would do anything with it anyway, but still.

Give him a coaching role or something.

Hard to imagine him being gone isn’t it…

It’s a (slightly tearful) no from me unless it’s a player/coach role on coach money - even then that’s only if including him in the 25 had zero impact on Hecky’s plans.

Manager’s call, don’t envy him.

Sorry given the lack of funds we can't be paying players who won't be playing. I'd rather see Jebbo or Osula coming off the bench than Billy I'm afraid.

He will always be a legend and he's a top top bloke but everyone's playing career ends at some point. I'm just very disappointed we didn't get a chance to show our appreciation in the stands at the Lane.

Then do we give him another year next summer as well?
It’s time
Exactly this, when does it stop. I also don’t agree with he’s played well, his goal contributions (assists & goals) have been very poor.

I actually think it’s one of those relationship splits where both will be happier once it’s over with they just don’t realise it at the moment.

I don’t want this to take anything away from what he’s done for us because we’ve spent millions on trying to find another version of him yet never been able to.

He’s an absolute legend for more reasons than just goals.

1 more year. As a backup backup striker, cos knowing us, we'll lose 4 strikers through injury next season.

I've been really impressed with Billy this season. His couple of goals this season were brilliant (that left footed dink 🤤). But its been Billy's link up play and ability to hold the ball and draw a foul that's been his best achievement this season. He still looks fit and to me looks like he's been doing more running than he did 10 years ago. So for me he should retire after another shot at the top... and to bag his goal.

1 more year. As a backup backup striker, cos knowing us, we'll lose 4 strikers through injury next season.

I've been really impressed with Billy this season. His couple of goals this season were brilliant (that left footed dink 🤤). But its been Billy's link up play and ability to hold the ball and draw a foul that's been his best achievement this season. He still looks fit and to me looks like he's been doing more running than he did 10 years ago. So for me he should retire after another shot at the top... and to bag his goal.
Not just me then !

However. Me thinks it’s time for him to go to a club where he will get the pitch time he deserves.

It’s been a pleasure Sir 👏👏👏.

UTB

Sadly no, forever a legend but time moves on however fit he still is.

If there is a place on the coaching staff then great but otherwise bow out gracefully or have another year or so in the lower leagues where I reckon he’d do well.

Thanks for the memories Bill.

Every footballer at the back end of their career will say I’ve still got one good season in me .
The lad is a legend & talisman for the club & I think him for all he’s done but the time is right & if I’m honest I think he’s only got more game time this season due to lack of other striker options .

I hope and I’m sure he’ll get another year at another club , poss in lower divisions & bag his 250th plus a few more

Thank you for all your efforts Billy & wish to see you back at The Lane in some capacity in the future ⚔️⚔️⚔️

Back
Top Bottom