On this day in 2015: Peterborough 1-3 United... where are they now?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Balham Blade

S24SU Seer
Reaction score
We went to Peterborough on Tuesday 18th August 2015 for the turning point after a poor start to the season under motivational guru Nigel Adkins. Two goals from star striker Conor Sammon and a howitzer from creative genius Jose Baxter - set up by lynchpin James Wallace - saw us run out easy winners. Peterborough had future United player Conor Washington in their starting XI...needless to say, he didn't score.

Obviously all of the conclusions taken from the game were quickly disspelled so I though it would be a worthy waste of my employer's time to do a Where Are They Now for the team which played Posh off the park.

GK: Mark Howard. Free agent having left Blackpool at the end of last season
DL: Jay McEveley. Dropped rapidly through the leagues after leaving the Lane and is now at Warrington Town. Bizarrely made club captain by Adkins although he did provide a moment of entertainment in the home game with Coventry in the 15/16 season as he chopped down Ruben Lameiras
DC: Neill Collins. Now coaching Tampa Bay Rowdies although I doubt any defeats are his fault
DC: David Edgar. At Forge FC in the Canadian Premier Division having been Forged in Shite under Adkins.
DR: Kieron Freeman. Has just left United having been instrumental in our League One title winning campaign. Fringe player after Baldock joined.
ML: Ché Adams. Southampton player, scored twice against us on the last day of the season as we lost from a winning half time position for the first time since January 2014.
MC: Jose Baxter. Two drugs bans, the second of which saw us finally sack him. Left Plymouth in the winter before sniffing out a deal at Memphis 901 in the US second tier
MC: Chris Basham. There are no words other than Bashambauer: POTS in the Premier League a mere 4 seasons after the shambles under Adkins
MR: Stefan Scougall. Free agent having left Carlisle at the end of last season
FC: Conor Sammon. The man with the anti-midas touch, can now be found missing open goals from three yards out for Falkirk
FC: Billy Sharp. GOAT.

Subs:
George Long. Last seen conceding 7 in one half at Wigan as Hull crashed out of the Championship. He's contracted there until the end of the 20/21 season
Kieran Wallace. Back with Nigel Clough - the man who signed him for United - at Burton
Martyn Woolford. At Gainsborough Trinity which was probably his level when he was playing for us
James Wallace. Retired 5 years late in July 2019 having made 121 league appearances in 11 years, 55 of which came in a 30 month spell at Tranmere. He made 38 appearances in his last 5 years as a pro.
Louis Reed. Our youngest ever player, he ended up at Peterborough where on all accounts he's doing pretty well.
Jamal Campbell-Ryce. Now player coach at Colchester, although I'm not sure what he had could ever be taught
Marc McNulty. Can be found with jumpers on his shoulders in the nightclubs of Reading...when they're open

Manager:
Nigel Adkins. Snakeoil salesman now found offering motivational tidbits on Twitter having left Hull City at the end of the 2018/19 season.

We went to Peterborough on Tuesday 18th August 2015 for the turning point after a poor start to the season under motivational guru Nigel Adkins. Two goals from star striker Conor Sammon and a howitzer from creative genius Jose Baxter - set up by lynchpin James Wallace - saw us run out easy winners. Peterborough had future United player Conor Washington in their starting XI...needless to say, he didn't score.

Obviously all of the conclusions taken from the game were quickly disspelled so I though it would be a worthy waste of my employer's time to do a Where Are They Now for the team which played Posh off the park.

GK: Mark Howard. Free agent having left Blackpool at the end of last season
DL: Jay McEveley. Dropped rapidly through the leagues after leaving the Lane and is now at Warrington Town. Bizarrely made club captain by Adkins although he did provide a moment of entertainment in the home game with Coventry in the 15/16 season as he chopped down Ruben Lameiras
DC: Neill Collins. Now coaching Tampa Bay Rowdies although I doubt any defeats are his fault
DC: David Edgar. At Forge FC in the Canadian Premier Division having been Forged in Shite under Adkins.
DR: Kieron Freeman. Has just left United having been instrumental in our League One title winning campaign. Fringe player after Baldock joined.
ML: Ché Adams. Southampton player, scored twice against us on the last day of the season as we lost from a winning half time position for the first time since January 2014.
MC: Jose Baxter. Two drugs bans, the second of which saw us finally sack him. Left Plymouth in the winter before sniffing out a deal at Memphis 901 in the US second tier
MC: Chris Basham. There are no words other than Bashambauer: POTS in the Premier League a mere 4 seasons after the shambles under Adkins
MR: Stefan Scougall. Free agent having left Carlisle at the end of last season
FC: Conor Sammon. The man with the anti-midas touch, can now be found missing open goals from three yards out for Falkirk
FC: Billy Sharp. GOAT.

Subs:
George Long. Last seen conceding 7 in one half at Wigan as Hull crashed out of the Championship. He's contracted there until the end of the 20/21 season
Kieran Wallace. Back with Nigel Clough - the man who signed him for United - at Burton
Martyn Woolford. At Gainsborough Trinity which was probably his level when he was playing for us
James Wallace. Retired 5 years late in July 2019 having made 121 league appearances in 11 years, 55 of which came in a 30 month spell at Tranmere. He made 38 appearances in his last 5 years as a pro.
Louis Reed. Our youngest ever player, he ended up at Peterborough where on all accounts he's doing pretty well.
Jamal Campbell-Ryce. Now player coach at Colchester, although I'm not sure what he had could ever be taught
Marc McNulty. Can be found with jumpers on his shoulders in the nightclubs of Reading...when they're open

Manager:
Nigel Adkins. Snakeoil salesman now found offering motivational tidbits on Twitter having left Hull City at the end of the 2018/19 season.

bravo - highly amusing at the end of a pretty boring day in IT

UTB

I had absolutely no memory of Keiran Wallace - I’ve literally just had to google him.

Excellent review - really enjoyed that

🤣

I remember one game where David Edgar was struggling a bit. Trig Jnr (TY) was particularly incensed, but didn’t lay all the blame at Edgar’s door, saying something like “He’s a Canadian international! He’s got forty caps! In fact he’s the Canadian captain.........and we’ve dragged him down to our level”. The note of despair in his voice will live long in my memory and from this distance it’s easier to find it funny 🙂

TBF, I think many Blades fans, including myself, were optimistic following this game and the subsequent one at Swindon, even after such an awful start.

It was the next two home games v Colchester and particularly Bury that made me realise it was going to be a very long and painful season.

Didn't know Billy Sharp had four legs....
No wonder pigs are moaning....

I remember us singing " FEED THE FISH AND HE WILL SCORE ",,,,,,Seems like we were easily pleased 5 years ago .🤪

I’m glad someone has detailed the players, for after an afternoon in the Oakham brewery tap, some Dutch barge on the river and half a dozen Good Beer Guide pubs, my memory ain’t too hot!

Do remember a very traditional stand with traditional bogs in a very traditional state and a tiny pie booth that was inadequate.

In a strange way I miss the away days associated with floodlight pylons, social clubs and proper football grounds.

I’m glad someone has detailed the players, for after an afternoon in the Oakham brewery tap, some Dutch barge on the river and half a dozen Good Beer Guide pubs, my memory ain’t too hot!

Do remember a very traditional stand with traditional bogs in a very traditional state and a tiny pie booth that was inadequate.

In a strange way I miss the away days associated with floodlight pylons, social clubs and proper football grounds.
I believe we were in the main stand as the away end was under development. That said, London Road is still 30% bigger than Bournemouth's Dean Court.

Back
Top Bottom