Now and Then

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

robbiez666

Reaction score
I started supporting Sheffield United about 30 years ago.

The first game I remember attending (my dad gave me this curse but we had moved down South with his job for a few years) was Bournemouth at home in the old 3rd division. I remember Peter Beagrie. We had no money and were crap then (but at least we had Richard Cadette!).

Fast forward 30 years and we're in the same division. We have no money now but at least back then we weren't being spun by an American with false promises of investment. We've had our money thrown away by a chairman who seemingly has been investing our money abroad in a bid to give himself great PR and boost his own business interests. I've seen this club dragged through the mire over the last 30 years, culminating in us signing a has been striker with a history or criminal convictions and violence against women, and now to top it all off it looks like a convicted unrepentant rapist.

I remember feeling good about us being a family club. We built a family enclosure and there was a great atmosphere. Against all odds, Dave Bassett took us up to the old first division and then we were in the Premiership when it began. There was a great atmosphere around the club.

Today, I feel embarrassed to be a Blade. A quick look at the threads on our football forums show they aren't talking about football but of re-signing an unrepentant convicted rapist. Most supporters seem to support this move either because they think he did nothing wrong or because football to them means more than morals or decency.

Regardless of what happens over the next few weeks, the attitude of many of the fans and of the club has forever tarnished my enjoyment of football or of supporting a club I once loved. If he does re-sign then I'll now longer be a Sheffield United fan. If he doesn't then I'm not sure I could ever attend BTBL again given many of the comments I've seen and heard.

I'd just like to thank Kevin McCabe for destroying my football club and my love of football.

I am expecting the Club to announce a Loyalty Points deal with Premier Inns anytime now ...........

The first game I remember attending (my dad gave me this curse but we had moved down South with his job for a few years) was Bournemouth at home in the old 3rd division. I remember Peter Beagrie. We had no money and were crap then (but at least we had Richard Cadette!).

Fast forward 30 years and we're in the same division. We have no money now but at least back then we weren't being spun by an American with false promises of investment. We've had our money thrown away by a chairman who seemingly has been investing our money abroad in a bid to give himself great PR and boost his own business interests. I've seen this club dragged through the mire over the last 30 years, culminating in us signing a has been striker with a history or criminal convictions and violence against women, and now to top it all off it looks like a convicted unrepentant rapist.

I remember feeling good about us being a family club. We built a family enclosure and there was a great atmosphere. Against all odds, Dave Bassett took us up to the old first division and then we were in the Premiership when it began. There was a great atmosphere around the club.

Today, I feel embarrassed to be a Blade. A quick look at the threads on our football forums show they aren't talking about football but of re-signing an unrepentant convicted rapist. Most supporters seem to support this move either because they think he did nothing wrong or because football to them means more than morals or decency.

Regardless of what happens over the next few weeks, the attitude of many of the fans and of the club has forever tarnished my enjoyment of football or of supporting a club I once loved. If he does re-sign then I'll now longer be a Sheffield United fan. If he doesn't then I'm not sure I could ever attend BTBL again given many of the comments I've seen and heard.

I'd just like to thank Kevin McCabe for destroying my football club and my love of football.
Head off to S6 buddy this club don't need your kind of support, byebye, don't let the door bang yer arse on the way out :)

It is a shame how devisive the whole Ched debate has become amongst Blades supporters, evoking strong opinions all round.

There are of course facts that people are ignoring to suit their own opinions.

He is a convicted rapist. Rape is a despicable crime no one would condone. We are however a society with a fairly robust legal system. The jury found him guilty, the judge sentenced him and he has now served that sentence and needs to rebuild his life and career.

His sentence was not a life sentence.

Will the Blades offer some sort if contract? I don't know, there are strong rumours Barnsley will though.

It's going to be a testing time blades.

• Banned
I'm a firm believer that once someone has served their time they deserve a second chance. Unfortunately, professional sport isn't like any other job.

Considering some of the pond life on the Kop have continued to sing vile songs since the initial arrest, I can only imagine these chants will get worse. Children wearing a rapists name on the back of their shirts and worshiping him as a hero. People chanting his name. Him being a role model for kids. The idea is repugnant.

For me, the unrepentant part is the main problem. Kids and grown men believing what he did was right. That doing it themselves isn't wrong. It's repugnant.

Most rapists don't get prosecuted as it is. Our will get a hero's welcome.

Think youve got some rose tinted specs on there mate when your looking at the past. I never remember any of this family club bollocks during the Basset years, infact we had some of the rowdiest hooligans going.

We've also always been badly run by the board throughout my life as a Blade which sounds like just a few years more than you, do you forget Woolhouse, Brearly, Sam the man/woman etc. infact Id go as far as to say that McCabe is the best owner we've had in my lifetime.

Sod the family club image and sod Ched Evans, one player doesnt make a football club, even if he does sign he'll be gone again before you know it. Then who are you going to blame for being miserable?

Also Ive seen loads of people with Jimll fix it T-shirts throughout my life and it hasnt dont them any harm.

Agree with every word of the above save for laying the blame all at McCabe's door.

For me, the unrepentant part is the main problem. Kids and grown men believing what he did was right. That doing it themselves isn't wrong. It's repugnant.

Who says he's unrepentant? I haven't heard him saying anything in all this, other than the fact he thinks he was innocent of the crime.

Where have you seen grown men saying what he did was right? Not on here, that's for sure.

So we all now believe we can commit rape because it isn't wrong! What the hell are you on?

He's still pleading his innocence and appealing. From memory in court he said "it's what lads do." He's never come out and said he's done wrong. This would indicate to me that he's not repentant and feels he's done nothing wrong. At most, I think he's said he was foolish or stupid.

I've seen and heard a lot of comments (a lot worse on BM than here obv) which state that he's innocent, what he did was stupid but not wrong. Many seem to still blame the victim. Many seem to think they're qualified in criminal law.It's hardly a good moral lesson to children is it?

I'm sorry, this was never intended to be (yet another) Ched thread. I was just trying to vent my anger, frustration and sadness at what has happened to our club.

I'd add Richard Scudamore and for future reference Greg Dyke to that list of people ruining football. Blatter has been at it for some time as well.

, the attitude of many of the fans and of the club has forever tarnished my enjoyment of football or of supporting a club I once loved. If he does re-sign then I'll now longer be a Sheffield United fan. If he doesn't then I'm not sure I could ever attend BTBL again given many of the comments I've seen and heard.

I would suggest with these comments you aren't a supporter anyway.

I don't want CE to sign. If he does I will still support the team and I don't think any true Blade will say otherwise(whether they attend or not)

Basically you are not a fan if he signs or not.....see ya:rolleyes:

Think-of-the-children.jpg

I'm not a true fan because I've known/I know/I've been in a relationship with people who have suffered sexual abuse and rape and I think some things are more important than football? Care to tell me how I'm supposed to face these people, my friends, and justify supporting a club whose fans are chanting the name of a rapist and worshiping him like a hero?

He's still worshiped as a hero and he's not even our player. I'm pretty sure if the player in question would have been Chris Porter then there would have been 90% less threads and a very different view about whether he should play for the club again or not. I get the impression that football is more important than human lives to many. And footballing ability is a deciding factor on moral outlooks.

Anyway, I'll not say any more. I wanted to just vent my frustrations about what I feel is happening to the club.

Care to tell me how I'm supposed to face these people, my friends, and justify supporting a club whose fans are chanting the name of a rapist and worshiping him like a hero?

Singing something at a football match and truly believing it are two very different things. When we play Wednesday the Kop will sing 'Die, die piggy, piggy die', yet there was a perfectly observed minutes silence for the Wednesday fans who were tragically killed on the way to an away match the other year.

Last edited:
I'm not a true fan because I've known/I know/I've been in a relationship with people who have suffered sexual abuse and rape and I think some things are more important than football? Care to tell me how I'm supposed to face these people, my friends, and justify supporting a club whose fans are chanting the name of a rapist and worshiping him like a hero?

He's still worshiped as a hero and he's not even our player. I'm pretty sure if the player in question would have been Chris Porter then there would have been 90% less threads and a very different view about whether he should play for the club again or not. I get the impression that football is more important than human lives to many. And footballing ability is a deciding factor on moral outlooks.

Anyway, I'll not say any more. I wanted to just vent my frustrations about what I feel is happening to the club.

So how is any of that McCabes fault?

I just don't get posts like this blaming the Blades for all the ills of the world.
My younger years 70s and early 80s were dominated by the hooligan thing but dare I say it since those days I followed them from a football aspect .
Things will change but my support will never waiver and never change until they plant me.

I'm a firm believer that once someone has served their time they deserve a second chance. Unfortunately, professional sport isn't like any other job..

Mike Tyson returned to boxing and carried on where he left off

Its just get your head down and ignore the moaners

We've had our money thrown away by a chairman who seemingly has been investing our money abroad in a bid to give himself great PR

Don't you ever consider that KM is a supporter too, and that he may have put a vast amount of his personal wealth into the club?

As to if that investment has been dealt with wisely is a different matter, but to say he has thrown away 'our' money is slightly off the mark to put it lightly. Unless we are gaining premiership TV rights cash the club was not self sustaining, it was making a year on year loss.

IMO we would have been up shit creek a long time ago were it not for KM, or maybe you prefer Woolhouse or Hashimi at the helm.

I can understand you having to find a scapegoat for your frustrations but 'destroying your football club'? Pull the other one.

I stand to be proved wrong but I believe we are debt free and funds will be made available at the right time. We're a big ship and they take some turning round, maybe straight into a fecking iceberg but it wouldn't be fun any other way would it?

UTB

Ched there's been plenty of debate on this but the bottom line is that Ched ain't a rapist what happened to him could have happend to me and countless of my mates and associates .He hasn't laid in wait behind a fuckin bush and attacked her that happens week in and week out in the real world he's trying to clear I name good look to him ..

Ched there's been plenty of debate on this but the bottom line is that Ched ain't a rapist what happened to him could have happend to me and countless of my mates and associates .He hasn't laid in wait behind a fuckin bush and attacked her that happens week in and week out in the real world he's trying to clear I name good look to him ..

:eek: Wow!!

I should have a squint at certain sections of this - namely this line

McDonald who, along with Evans and others, had also been in Zu Bar, where they had allegedly tried to persuade at least one young woman to come back to the hotel room.

That is predatory behaviour, is it not?

Rapists are predators are they not?

Are you saying you behave like this and it's OK?

It's wrong, shocking and thoroughly despicable behaviour.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...turbing-events-led-rape-trial-ched-evans.html

Most rapists don't get prosecuted as it is.

Damn right they don't, and if they do they won't get 5 years. Forget this 'well-paid footballer' crap. It's probably because he is/was a 'well-paid footballer' that they threw the book at him. And attracted ultra-negative press from Jean Hatchett-Face and certain Radio Sheffield/Star 'reporters'.

He's still pleading his innocence and appealing.

Yes, because, as a young man, he doesn't want this hanging over his head for ever. Plus he'll probably be thinking that he got the shit end of the stick at his trial.

I was just trying to vent my anger, frustration and sadness at what has happened to our club.

Don't worry about it. Didn't do Rooney, John Terry, Rio Ferdinand etc. etc. much harm. Or Gary Madine.

o_O:eek::(

Oh dear. I do not think you have grasped matters at all.

HH
It's you who doesn't get it fella Ched and McDonald were probably bollocked and were doing a bit of Charlie the bird concerned was doing the same one thing leads to another and all sorts of stuff kicks in.
I'm mid fifties now but I still here of the lads doing similar things are they rapists FFS .
Women are more broad minded these daysdon't you watch them programmes with them in Benadorm,Magaluf ect they're fuckin mental.
Personally I think the crime of rape is the worst of all crimes but here Ched was the victim of the circumstances and how did McDonald get off Scott free.

Back
Top Bottom