Nicky Butt

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

blader

Reaction score
Just been reported on SSN that we are amongst 3 teams reported to be after his signature. Not sure I'd really be interested in adding him to the squad especially as i imagine he will be demanding high wages. Not sure that's a prioirity position for us if im honest.

Could be ok, if he's not expecting massive wages. Fairly gifted passer of the ball, and certainly a class or two above Monty or Quinn in that regard. Not exactly one for the future though is it?

imagine he's mates with speed, probably where the rumour came from. sign him on a player contract, turn into a player/coach contract?

Please no. He's been awful for a few seasons now. Incredibly slow & a liability when I've seen him recently. McCall was still a good player when we signed him - Butt isn't.

I thought we were supposed to be after a pacey attacker?!

Reasons not to sign Nicky Butt.

1. He'll be on mahoosive wages.
  2. He's getting on a bit. (35)
  3. He's a Grade A Mardy Git.
  4. He's ginner AND balding - never a good combination.
  5. He's a twat.
  6. Did I mention he's ginner?

I've always thought that Warnock baulking at £25000 a week for Nicky Butt was the difference between us staying up and going down from the Premiership. I've seen him a few times at Newcastle over the last couple of years and he's still a decent player in this Division. I'd be happy to see him signed on a short term playing contract, maybe with a view to coaching.

If he's cheap then do it, the guy has won more trophies in his career than we have as a club. His experience and technical ability alone will help us. Its clear speed wants to play a passing game, and thats something he can do very well. ive no issue with this, but we need pace, and fast. (excuse the pun)

Brings bags of experience at the top level,you only have to look at Speed he came with no legs left and has been a bonus to the club.

Nah, where does he play? Defensive Mid? Don't we have Ertl, Monty, Quinn, Britton and Willo for this position?

Why are so many of you going on about pace? Nicky Butt is a holding midfielder, last time i checked they didnt need to be lightening quick! Yes Speed has mentioned we need pace in the team but does that therefore mean every signing we make at the moment has to have pace? What happens if Simmo gets injured? Shall we try and bring Luton Shelton back and stick him in the net? With his pace he could play the sweeper role aswell!

Anyway rant over, I would be more than happy for Nikcy Butt to sign for us just aslong as wages are not too high, the lad has always had ability, you dont lose this simply because you have aged a few years

I dont remember Shipperly having much pace the season we got promoted and he scored a few important goals. Different position granted but it is not all about pace in this division, I think we need an older head in the middle and like has been said he doesn't need pace for where he plays, and could do a better job than Monty and Quinn easily.

Why are so many of you going on about pace? Nicky Butt is a holding midfielder, last time i checked they didnt need to be lightening quick! Yes Speed has mentioned we need pace in the team but does that therefore mean every signing we make at the moment has to have pace? What happens if Simmo gets injured? Shall we try and bring Luton Shelton back and stick him in the net? With his pace he could play the sweeper role aswell!

Anyway rant over, I would be more than happy for Nikcy Butt to sign for us just aslong as wages are not too high, the lad has always had ability, you dont lose this simply because you have aged a few years

I think Butt has been crap for a while. He used to be good but isn't now so what's the point signing him, whatever his wage demands?

I agree that everyone we sign doesn't need to be quick but there's no doubt we lack pace all over the team. Our counter-attacking is woeful because it takes us half an hour to get from one end of the pitch to the other!

with the formation were playing at the moment nicky butt would slip in nicely, monty the battler britton the lock opener and butt the supplier works well in my head.
monty and britton would do all the running and butt will collect it from bartley all day long as bartley doesnt wna play the long ball means britton can push up more.

also on the plus monty could maybe borrow some of butts boots and play passing with him in training.

wise head as morgs may be getting pushed for a start now in defence.

I've always thought that Warnock baulking at £25000 a week for Nicky Butt was the difference between us staying up and going down from the Premiership. I've seen him a few times at Newcastle over the last couple of years and he's still a decent player in this Division. I'd be happy to see him signed on a short term playing contract, maybe with a view to coaching.

More likely the board balked at the cost Warnock had no more say on spending than Robson,Blackwell or Speed.He might have argued more with them but he didn't hold the purse strings.

More likely the board balked at the cost Warnock had no more say on spending than Robson,Blackwell or Speed.He might have argued more with them but he didn't hold the purse strings.

True, except that Robson was allowed to pay £25K a week to players. Once we were down in The Championship and it was too late!

And how many "holding" midfielders do we need?

I thought Speed's emphasis (based on comments he's made the past week or two) was going to be on a striker and perhaps a wide man, with some pace thrown in to boot! I just don't see where Butt fits that criteria.

As mentioned above, as this is all about opinions............................thanks but no thanks!

I am not sure why people are dropping their bottom lip. I have not seen it mentioned that we are one of the 3 clubs. I don't think Gary and Butt have been at the same club at the same time.

Just been reported on SSN that we are amongst 3 teams reported to be after his signature. Not sure I'd really be interested in adding him to the squad especially as i imagine he will be demanding high wages. Not sure that's a prioirity position for us if im honest.

add a 4th defensive midfielder to the team? Wtf. Butt is pretty decent, but we should be looking for an attacking, creative midfielder.

If he pays us to play then good signing otherwise a waste of a wage IMO.

He's good at passing as long as its backwards, I like passing football but there needs to be a point to it not just get it off the back four give it back to back four get it off back four give it back to back four and repeat. :thumbdown:

Surely there will be better available??

I stopped criticising such signings when I was wrong about Stuart McCall, Wayne Allison, Ugo Ehiogu, Neil Shipperley and so on.

When all is said and done, it's most likely just agent talk anyway.

I stopped criticising such signings when I was wrong about Stuart McCall, Wayne Allison, Ugo Ehiogu, Neil Shipperley and so on.

When all is said and done, it's most likely just agent talk anyway.

Suerly you have never criticised owt have you houso?

Back
Top Bottom