Nick Montgomery

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Let's face it, at no time in his career was he surrounded with Ronaldinhos, Zidanes, Messis or Beckenbauers, with instructions from Pep Scolariola-Ancelocini to play exhibition, piggy-in-the-middle, tikka-takka, show-off football.
you don t need to be pirlo to make a simple 5 yard pass under no pressure

I don't think he is that bad to be honest. I know he is not a fans favourite but at the end of the day, what do we really know in comparison to the people who actually manage the team? In TSF he makes it quite clear that us fans generally don't know that much in comparison to people involved in the game. I know we haven't had the best selection of managers in recent years but I highly doubt that he would have been picked consistently for 11 years under 6 different managers in the top 2 tiers (for the most part) of English football if he was truly as bad as people here are making him out to be.

Down at the lane this morning .....
Got me thinking how another united player polarised opinion. Some absolutely loved him .. Some hated him..

So where were you on the Monty debate ?
Loved his attitude.....but he drove me mad!

Pitch is looking nice. Looking at the position of the goal though, it might be a tad wider than normal next season.
We need a wider goal with our finishing.

Last edited:
The man in the picture would need a goal stretching from one corner flag to the other and just as high....
Can I ask you this, why are you so bitter towards Monty? What is it exactly that makes you this way towards him? No matter how talented he was, and he definitely was otherwise he wouldn't have made it to pro level, do you think Monty's attitude and work rate over his 12 year long extremely loyal period with the blades in any way warrants those sorts of comments? & you talk about so called 'Bladey Blades' having the wrong outlook on SUFC, you should be ashamed.

Can I ask you this, why are you so bitter towards Monty? What is it exactly that makes you this way towards him? No matter how talented he was, and he definitely was otherwise he wouldn't have made it to pro level, do you think Monty's attitude and work rate over his 12 year long extremely loyal period with the blades in any way warrants those sorts of comments? & you talk about so called 'Bladey Blades' having the wrong outlook on SUFC, you should be ashamed.

No bitterness at all. Why on Earth would I be bitter? I watched him play many times. He was a talentless, tireless shadow-chaser. Any half-decent midfielder could go past him and leave him plodding doggedly but unsuccessfully after them. He wasn't a ball-winner. The ball always went straight back to the opposition.

Monty was an anti-footballing mediocrity who tried very hard. The sadness is that's good enough for the S2 faithful.

Personally, I prefer football.

Monty was always those players that I'll look back on and think "what if?" - not necessarily "what if he had been better?" (though that might also be fair), but more so "what if circumstances had been different?"

When he first came on the scene, he wasn't a midfield destroyer, but looked more like someone that might develop into a box-to-box player that could offer something going forward. In fact I think he was first used as a right-winger - and one that showed a fair bit of promise. I can remember an excellent pass at Hillsborough in the league cup in the 2000/01 season that set up Michael Brown. When he scored his first ever goal against Birmingham the next season I think he was also on the wing, firing across the keeper, and set up at least one of the others that day. He didn't have the skill to beat his man, but his passing back then was reasonable. What if we'd continued to develop him there? The BBC report from that game reads "The cross came from the impressive Montgomery, whose all-round display must have pleased manager Neil Warnock."

I can't remember at which exact point he suddenly transformed into the non-passing central-midfield player most remember him as, but in the 02/03 season in particular he seemed to be thrown into games with the sole purpose being to man-mark them - probably during the cup runs. But that seemed to change the course of his career, and there was no further conversion back into a player of use in the final third.

In no particular order, my top 5 surprisingly skilful Monty moments:

1. The first half of the 1-0 win at home to Wolves in 2005/06 was ridiculous. He repeatedly won the ball and passed it with alarming accuracy. A mate of mine who only occasionally saw us asked who this new player was in midfield, and I had to whisper that it was actually Nick Montgomery. He was like Stuart McCall that day, before reverting back to Nick Montgomery.

2. The ridiculous goal against Tranmere. Dellas-esque.

3. Threading the needle as he played a delicate through-ball to the great Christian Nade to score at home to Newcastle.

4. The moment he channelled the right-winger early-Monty as he swept a cross in from the right at St James's Park for Webber to score the winner.

5. The Hollywood pass he did once. We all remember it happened - I just can't remember exactly when, where, how.

Other "what if?" thought - what if Wilson hadn't subbed him for "penalty expert Andy Taylor" in injury time at Wembley? Might he have scored the penalty that got us promoted?

Monty in his own words:
"I know I am not the world's most creative midfielder, but I am not in the team to create," Montgomery said. "If I could do that as well as the job I do I would be playing for Liverpool like Steven Gerrard. This is a physical league and you need players in your team who are going to win the midfield battle.That's what I am all about."

Monty: Sheffield United's Steven Gerrard, minus the creativity. © LoughboroBlade

Monty was an anti-footballing mediocrity who tried very hard. The sadness is that's good enough for the S2 faithful.

Personally, I prefer football.

I've only been on here a few weeks but your constant jibes about fellow Blades who don't expect 11 Lionel Messis on the pitch, can get a bit wearying.

Is there only you who can see the light among the plebs of the S2 faithful?

Perhaps you could ask the club to make a special 'non Bladey Blade' section of the ground where you and the like minded can make forensic notes watching the game through opera glasses. The rest of us can cheer and applaud Trevor Hockey, TK, Stan, Bob Booker, Morgs, Del Geary, Monty et al to our little hearts' content.

A mate of mine who supports Crewe always said of Monty and S Quinn that they will always adapt to the level they are playing at: they can/did hold their own in the Premier League, but they weren't exactly too good for League 1. I think this is a fair assessment.

A mate of mine who supports Crewe always said of Monty and S Quinn that they will always adapt to the level they are playing at: they can/did hold their own in the Premier League, but they weren't exactly too good for League 1. I think this is a fair assessment.

Quinn was far too good for League 1. I think it was in his last game at the Lane for us, he was absolutely taking the piss out of the opposition doing little flicks, drag backs, turns and playing passes that nobody else on the pitch would've even thought of, let alone executing.

I can't imagine Monty doing this.

Well, I'm afraid you're going to be exhausted if you stick around....

NM was another Johnnie Cradock . Always in the background and not fully understood or appreciated . More of a chicken supreme , than a doughnut.:D .

UTB

I find some of this stuff unbelievable

Do people really think that NM, was the root cause of our current problems. He was a fantastic servant of our club, a better player than some give him credit for.

If he does re join then lets do what our manager asks, let's be United.

Taking your season ticket back? Grow up, it's a team game for a start, 11 players, not one.

I sometimes wonder if some people just don't get it. We were terrible last year, IF he were to sign he could only improve what we have.

I find some of this stuff unbelievable

Do people really think that NM, was the root cause of our current problems. He was a fantastic servant of our club, a better player than some give him credit for.

If he does re join then lets do what our manager asks, let's be United.

Taking your season ticket back? Grow up, it's a team game for a start, 11 players, not one.

I sometimes wonder if some people just don't get it. We were terrible last year, IF he were to sign he could only improve what we have.

We are where we are because of dross like Doyle and Collins along with poor managers who have required changing too often.

Some see those two as our saviours?

Few more like Monty and we wouldn't be where we are now.

11 years a blade and countless managers picking him. Managers that probably know a bit more about football than anyone on here. I'd welcome him back providing he can still get about the pitch like he used to

Dear me. I've been away for a week and can't believe what I'm reading. It's amazing what tricks our minds play on us - it's a bit like when a poor player is out for a long period and the longer he's out the better he is. Anyone (IMO) who thinks that NM would be an improvement on anyone we had last season is deluded. He was basically Doyle without a pass or shot. He kicked the ball like his boots were too big and he had to curl his toes to stop them flying off. I'm afraid nothing anyone says (while I accept everyone's opinion) will convince me that he was anything other than a common workhorse. This doesn't make me a knocker or whatever the current term is, it's just my opinion but one I hold dear.

Please, please, please let's hope we've moved off to a different style of footballer under the new manager. I await the tirade :confused:.

Back
Top Bottom