Next season

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Reaction score
Will we have a squad good enough to challenge in the championship?

By the sounds of things a number of first team players are out of contract so well be in the same position as this season

If any of the budget gambles we buy work out they will most likely be sold, doesn't look good

There's crucial work to do this month to ensure we're strong enough to come back up

Building the midfield is the priority. OBrien is the perfect profile. Souza and Hamer might be a bit too likely to leave - that's the problem with them two. But you'd hope they'd bring in fees we could use to buy top championship quality

Baldock, Egan and McBurnie need signing up

Anel will need replacing. But that should be more than doable with the fee he'll fetch

So it's possible to ensure we'll be very strong and there's no excuse. But currently, we have it all to do

The only ones of the required quality we can be confident will be here as it stands are Trusty, Robinson and possibly Slimane and Traore. It's a precarious situation that we need to remedy bit by bit, until we have a high quality core of about 12 or 13

I'd be aiming for something like this;

Foderingham
Baldock / Egan / Trusty / Robinson / RND
Doyle / OBrien / Hamer or Smallbone / Slimane
McBurnie / Traore / Akpom

Go down with that, add another 4 or 5 signings and it would take a good team to finish above us

I suggest we run quite a small squad and focus the budget on quality. And use our academy. This is a measure we can take to offset the cost of the contracts without big wage drops it'll be necessary to hand out in order to bring in certain players this month. The smaller squad would be a bit of a gamble injury wise but it's best sacrifice to make

Lets be honest despite yesterday [hope I am wrong] but I still think we will be playing in the championship next season

Also in reality yesterday in terms of ability it was two championship teams playing

And based on that I think if we can keep most of the squad we have a realistic chance of promotion

we can then resign Illman

Onwards and upwards

UTB

We will have 9 players, we will be fine!
Where was Grbic yesterday anyhow!?

Hamer and Souza will be gone because of their transfer value and wages, Anel will go as well as Archer, McBernie will go for free, Wes looks like he may go. Perhaps this is going to be a decent clear out I’m just wary of who we’ll bring in because of the transfer budget and wages.

Hamer and Souza will be gone because of their transfer value and wages, Anel will go as well as Archer, McBernie will go for free, Wes looks like he may go. Perhaps this is going to be a decent clear out I’m just wary of who we’ll bring in because of the transfer budget and wages.
If we are smart the transfer budget doesn’t matter so much. Players who are confident they will be in demand are increasingly doing what Berge did to us & letting their contracts run down. Transfer fees don’t matter as much as they used to.

We will be shifting some big salaries off the wage bill this summer which will enable us to be very competitive wages wise in championship terms. We will be at the top end in terms of budgets. And that’s the best we can hope for without a very wealthy new owner.

I reiterate what I said before - we should aim for a high quality, compact squad. Minimise needless excess, gamble a bit on fitness and academy players filling in. It makes as much sense as it ever could to do this, given the crop of youngsters we currently have

How at this point can anyone still fail to see that McAtee is a Man City standard player..... he'll play a lot for them next season

How at this point can anyone still fail to see that McAtee is a Man City standard player..... he'll play a lot for them next season

Nah. Pep barely played Cole Palmer even who's gone on to be Chelsea's best player

JM will be a Prem player next season. Either with us 🤣 or not 😪

Who is going too buy Hamer or Souza ?
They have hardly taken the Premiership by storm i can't see any Premiership sides being interested, maybe the 3 sides that come up but can really only see Leeds possibly if they make it.
Can't see any Championship sides being able too afford him especially if Leicester, Southampton and Leeds go up..

Who is going too buy Hamer or Souza ?
They have hardly taken the Premiership by storm i can't see any Premiership sides being interested, maybe the 3 sides that come up but can really only see Leeds possibly if they make it.
Can't see any Championship sides being able too afford him especially if Leicester, Southampton and Leeds go up..
I agree. I’m expecting them both to be with us next season. I’m expecting the departures to be Archer, Anel & some of the out of contract players & I’ll be happy enough with that.

I can’t see Souza going
Or Hamer non have proved as of yet there really good enough for the prem. Look at the teams who should get promoted, liecester Southampton Leeds would either of them really want need any of our players? Doubtful

Always difficult to know what the plan is without insider knowledge. Could it involve trying to save some of the PP money for future seasons for example? Plus we have struggled to sign players quickly and we need a fair few in, hopefully by the end of June.

I think it may well be a slow start with what may well basically be a brand new team needing to figure itself out. 1 or 2 of the loans are likely to come 4 or 5 games into the season again. I think we'll field a competitive team but it might look more like 21/22 where automatic promotion is lost between Aug-Nov.

Fortunately, we always do well in the play offs......😂😂

Like I said on another thread, make Vini captain. He's showing the heart and will to fight for his shirt and the team. Hopefully, it'll make him want to stay rather than need to stay.

Back
Top Bottom