NEW: Kevin Blackwell interview

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

YorkBlade

Reaction score
Kevin Blackwell looks back on his time as assistant manager, registered player, goalkeeping coach and manager of Sheffield United. He talks about the big personalities, some personal differences with certain people, his Blades highs/lows and ponders regrets. There's also a look at his time working abroad as well as some very interesting James Beattie insight.

WATCH:

You can also listen anywhere you get podcasts just search 'Sheff United Way' or direct links:

Spotify https://spoti.fi/2Wus1Hi
Apple https://apple.co/3DjI4IJ

Feedback always welcome.

Good interview. I was hoping he would reveal what really had happened when Harry Redknapp cut short Kyle Walker's loan spell during the 2009-10 season. I read rumours that Kevin was angry with Harry for allowing Naughton to go on loan to Boro instead of to us so Harry then decided to cut short Walker's loan. Had we kept Walker for the rest of the season I think we would have finished in the play off places

A good man, unfairly maligned by wankers who wanted us to play pretty tippy tappy shite with no end product.

He wasn't great by any means, but he would never have taken us down, and I much preferred United under him than Adams, Clough and Adkins, that's for sure.

Feedback.

Don’t bother interviewing useless pricks like this fella. Set the club back significantly during his tenure.

UTB.

Thanks, I'll counter this with, we have over 30 interviews with popular former members of staff and players who were objectively 'good' and you can enjoy those if that's more your thing.
Personally I prefer getting the more insightful, challenging and often unusual stories from more maligned former employees of our wonderful club. Dean Hammond, for example or Martyn Woolford are 2 of the most interesting interviews we have achieved, in my humble opinion.

A good man, unfairly maligned by wankers who wanted us to play pretty tippy tappy shite with no end product.

He wasn't great by any means, but he would never have taken us down, and I much preferred United under him than Adams, Clough and Adkins, that's for sure.

Lol he’s a pound shop Warnock who didn’t have ability to back it up. Whole host of players from different clubs have said he was a prick too

Feedback.

Don’t bother interviewing useless pricks like this fella. Set the club back significantly during his tenure.

UTB.
Stabilsed the club after the Robson experiment, kept us up, play off the next season. Should have been sacked after the final

Last edited:
Stabilsed the club after the Robson experiment, kept us up, play off the next season. Should have been sacked afterthr final
Inherited the most expensively assembled side in Utds history and took us nowhere with it.

Listen to the interview.

Understand that blokes like him
HAVE to deflect from the real issues by blaming every man and his dog.

Achieved fuck all with us and has had a well below average career in Management overall.

UTB

Inherited the most expensively assembled side in Utds history and took us nowhere with it.

Listen to the interview.

Understand that blokes like him
HAVE to deflect from the real issues by blaming every man and his dog.

Achieved fuck all with us and has had a well below average career in Management overall.

UTB
Not disagreeing with regards to him as a blame culture merchant BUT Robson,Adkins and Adams were far worse as managers with us. I hated the style of play under KB thou

Will watch it later on. Has he stated why he not joined Warnock at Huddersfield.

Not sure I can be arsed to listen to him speak.

Obviously if anyone can post the answers to the only questions worth asking him I would happily read them.

1. What the fuck were you thinking playing Jordan Stewart (poor quality left back) on the right wing and leaving your usual whipping boy (David Cotterill, renowned right winger) against Newcastle?
2. When you had bugger all to spend why did you think buying Darius Henderson was any sort of idea?
3. Was your bullying of Sharpe and Cotterill beneficial to anyone other than your massive ego and, presumably, tiny penis?
4. Did you ever see Jonny Ertl play prior to signing him?
5. Did you think up the idea of playing every away game for a draw yourself or pinch it from Warnock's Premier League blueprint?

Loads more but my blood pressure is at a dangerously raised level just thinking about the cunts ugly fizzog.

Cheers Hal, will listen to this.

I’m hoping you asked him why it was that a lot of people didn’t have much good to say about him during his time as a manager. I think Kilgallon was about the only one who said he was ok.

Not sure how I feel about Blackwell. We seemed to win away a lot under him so he's at least partly responsible for some great days out in my late teens, but the style of football was dreadful. I'm still sure we wouldn't have gone down that year had we not got rid, but he lumbered us with some absolute shite on long expensive contracts that we didn't recover from for a long, long time.

Thanks, I'll counter this with, we have over 30 interviews with popular former members of staff and players who were objectively 'good' and you can enjoy those if that's more your thing.
Personally I prefer getting the more insightful, challenging and often unusual stories from more maligned former employees of our wonderful club. Dean Hammond, for example or Martyn Woolford are 2 of the most interesting interviews we have achieved, in my humble opinion.
Completely agree Hal.

I like all the interviews and obviously the players we love always have good things to say about us but it is sometimes very interesting to hear from those who didn’t have a particularly successful spell or joined during a poor era.

Hammond especially was very interesting despite being one of the poorer players we have had in my time as a Blade (40 years) and he explained why that is.

I think it’s really good you reach out to these players as well as the ‘heroes’.

Have you had Kevin Mcdonald on yet? I heard he got made to look the bad guy how it ended but would be great to hear his version

An old school manager who wasn't there to make friends, he was there to get results. He did that, and almost got us promoted. Universally panned by ex players and managers on just about every football podcast I've listened to. I'll watch this one with great interest when I get the chance. Cheers Hal.

Not sure I can be arsed to listen to him speak.

Obviously if anyone can post the answers to the only questions worth asking him I would happily read them.

1. What the fuck were you thinking playing Jordan Stewart (poor quality left back) on the right wing and leaving your usual whipping boy (David Cotterill, renowned right winger) against Newcastle?
2. When you had bugger all to spend why did you think buying Darius Henderson was any sort of idea?
3. Was your bullying of Sharpe and Cotterill beneficial to anyone other than your massive ego and, presumably, tiny penis?
4. Did you ever see Jonny Ertl play prior to signing him?
5. Did you think up the idea of playing every away game for a draw yourself or pinch it from Warnock's Premier League blueprint?

Loads more but my blood pressure is at a dangerously raised level just thinking about the cunts ugly fizzog.

Seeing the thread appear I immediately scrolled through all the other posts hoping to find one by Grecian2000 .

💥

Even though former pro's do think he is a bellend. I do think he would have kept us in the Championship had he stayed.

I listened to it Hal and it was better than I anticipated. Not saying I like the fella but gave an insight into situations like Beattie, Warnock, Kyle, etc.

Get Spackman on next!

Back
Top Bottom