New directive

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Davalon

Live for today
Reaction score
I'd guess most of us are generally in favour of the new directive to let more go.

I'm between a rock and a hard place as I've felt for years the standard of refereeing in the Championship is poor for the stature of the league, but I dislike the treatment of refs as I believe it filters down to the pitiful behaviour I've witnessed at grassxroots over the last 10 years.

This new directive is leading to far too many bad challenges going unpunished, whilst at the same time, nothing challenges being pulled up.

I have genuine sympathy for the refs.

I thought a few out of control challenges on both sides were allowed today and whilst the ref rightly waved on some of their diving and feigning injury, this new directive is causing more trouble on and off the pitch.

There's not much point in stating how you love the new directive but then venting your spleen when your own player gets taken out.

I don’t think it’s any coincidence that we’ve got this new directive and then seen some of the most consistently bad refereeing performances at this level. It’s made life harder for referees.

Last year pretty much any contact was a foul, this makes decision making relatively easy. Now it seems to be up to the referees discretion to decide how much contact constitutes a foul. Hopefully it’s just teething problems but I have a feeling that this is really exposing a lot of referees lack of feel and understanding for the game.

I am in favour of seeing more contact in the game but it needs to implemented with more understanding and consistency and I don’t think our officials are capable of that. So we might as well scrap it, at least everyone knows where they are then.

I'd guess most of us are generally in favour of the new directive to let more go.

I'm between a rock and a hard place as I've felt for years the standard of refereeing in the Championship is poor for the stature of the league, but I dislike the treatment of refs as I believe it filters down to the pitiful behaviour I've witnessed at grassxroots over the last 10 years.

This new directive is leading to far too many bad challenges going unpunished, whilst at the same time, nothing challenges being pulled up.

I thought a few out of control challenges on both sides were allowed today and whilst the ref rightly waved on some of their diving and feigning injury, this new directive is causing more trouble on and off the pitch.

There's not much point in stating how you love the new directive but then venting your spleen when your own player gets taken out.

Excellent point and massively significant.

I was driving home listening to Radio Sheffield and a few Blades complained about the ref being too lenient and inconsistent.
A few said he was the worse ref they'd seen in years but there was no mention regards the possible reason why refs are so inconsistent this season.

However the new directive has made refs much easier targets.
If a player received a challenge and falls down, in the past it was a foul and free-kick was awarded
but now refs have been told to allow a level of physical contact as within the rules.

If you think about it....it's a really difficult rule to apply and many refs in order to stay on board with both sets of players and fans
tend to alternate their decisions instead of giving it based on what they see.
So fouls for physical play becomes more of a random lottery.

I think we'd all be in favour of the directive and it certainly suits the way our team play with the high intensity style. I have no sympathy, however, for the that moron who officiated us today, though. Not only did he display inconsistency towards both teams, especially allowing Norwich to get away with their disgusting simulation and cheating tactics, he was inconsistent in his application of the rules in both halves and he gave fouls for identical challenges which had gone unpunished after we scored our first goal.
Like VAR, all we ask for is consistency and I don't think there's anything wrong with either the new directive or VAR. Unfortunately, it's the talentless, overthinking, moronic officials in charge of the game that are continually ruining the game for all of us.
This bloke today was one of the worst I've ever seen and comments on here and made on RS seem to indicate that I'm not the only one with that opinion.
utb

I just assumed the new directive was that if you wore a shirt with McBurnie on the back (though assume Brewster borrowed it first half), you can have absolutely anything done to you and it’s not a free kick… so much as breathe in the direction of an opponent and it is though.

That and it’s 42 fouls before a yellow card, unless you wear a red and white shirt, then we’ll punish your first one son.

As an example of your confused reffing, there was a passage of play first half where there were about four actual fouls ignored, before Baldock waited for a touch and then himself down in the corner… which ended up being one… the least of the lot.

You can’t just let games go you can’t if a foul is a foul you have to give it

Some games have more fouls than others and that’s just how it is

My biggest bug bear with refs is shirking all penalties if it’s a foul it’s a penalty so just give it

There is no chapter in the FA rule book that say a foul on the centre circle is different to one in the penalty area

If they have to give 5 penalties so what 🤷‍♂️

If I was a ref....

• I'd make players who go down injured leave the pitch at the nearest exit and resume the game, unless its a severe injury such as a head injury.
  • Players who are injured and receive medical attention would only be able to re-enter the field of play the next time the ball goes out in the favour of their club
  • Any player who timewastes would immediately get a yellow card, no warnings.
  • Any player that receives a yellow card for timewasting, would add 1 minute on the end of that particular half, no ifs buts or maybes.
  • Dive for a penalty? Red card.
  • Tall strikers would almost always be given the benefit of the doubt in tight calls unless very clear and obvious
  • Fans would not influence my decisions
  • I would not award something that either me or my linesmen or fourth official has seen with our own eyes, if any of us were unsure, nothing would be awarded.
  • If you get "injured" and "magic spray" sorts your issue out, you're booked for play acting.
I'd be sacked after my first weekend.

Referee today seemed to follow the new directive first half, then abandon it second
Also he seemed to let the play go on unless the Norwich player fell down, he then deemed it a foul

Didn’t think the red was horrendous today. Well apart from a spell in the second half when he was not following the new directive and giving every single soft one to them. It’s just fucking annoying that I can’t remember the last time the ref wasn’t a talking point after a game.

Referee today seemed to follow the new directive first half, then abandon it second
Also he seemed to let the play go on unless the Norwich player fell down, he then deemed it a foul

Whilst I don't totally disagree with that, he also allowed a few iffy challenges from us to go unpunished.

As my OP said, I think the overall standard of refereeing at this level isn't as good as it could be over many years but you only have to look at a number of games this season in both the PL and Championship which have had issues as a result of challenges being let go.

The ref wasn't that and today. There were a few nasty challenges that he ignored. Bash did a couple and Billy took someone out off the pitch while there was a really poor one on Fleck. I think VAR warps standards a bit. I wish the linesman would actually be involved more though. There was a lot of late stuff the ref won't see

I have zero sympathy for that useless, inept, and yes I'm going to say it, biased twat today. He might as well have had a norwich shirt on.

The pen...Anel's tackle was outside the box, or on the line if you're being generous. Egan got the ball. It was not a penalty.

I, from the kop, clearly saw one of theirs with a handful of McBurnie's shirt in the box from a corner...nothing.

That disgusting, disgraceful attempt from (I think) Hanley to get Sharp sent off...no words. How he escaped a booking for that is beyond me.

The deliberate, snidey kick into sharp's ribs/arm after a foul that wasn't given? Nothing. Should have been a red.

Cantwell's constant diving? Nothing.

I know Norwich are this season's media darlings, but for fuck's sake. They can have all the press and media loving they want, but they should not get the same from (supposedly) impartial referees.

The ref today was nothing short of a fucking disgrace. He should never referee a football match again, at any level.

The authorities could stop all the diving and feigning injury overnight by taking retrospective action based on video evidence.
Cantwell went down after a challenge by Baldock, there were several replays from several angles. Baldock may have stood on his foot but Cantwell collapsed to the ground holding his right knee. Six game retrospective ban for simulation.
Same as their player who threw himself on the floor after Sharp had gone toe to toe with him. He was writhing about and kicking his legs like he’d jumped out of someone’s keep net. Six game retrospective ban for simulation.

Two players unavailable for six games would soon focus Dean Smiths attention and that of their teammates.

If I was a ref....

• I'd make players who go down injured leave the pitch at the nearest exit and resume the game, unless its a severe injury such as a head injury.
  • Players who are injured and receive medical attention would only be able to re-enter the field of play the next time the ball goes out in the favour of their club
  • Any player who timewastes would immediately get a yellow card, no warnings.
  • Any player that receives a yellow card for timewasting, would add 1 minute on the end of that particular half, no ifs buts or maybes.
  • Dive for a penalty? Red card.
  • Tall strikers would almost always be given the benefit of the doubt in tight calls unless very clear and obvious
  • Fans would not influence my decisions
  • I would not award something that either me or my linesmen or fourth official has seen with our own eyes, if any of us were unsure, nothing would be awarded.
  • If you get "injured" and "magic spray" sorts your issue out, you're booked for play acting.
I'd be sacked after my first weekend.
There’s an easy solution to players going down injured to waste time. Let the physios come on while the game continues around them, and players would be jumping up and carrying on very quickly.

The main problem is a 50/50 tackle is let go, then the tackles get progressively harder with more malice until the ref has lost all control of the game and players are flying in or faking injury like they've broken every bone in their body.

I'm not a fan of the new directive that there's no such thing as a foul throw any more either. Pretty much anything goes it seems, particularly evident yesterday but it's been happening all season.

I don’t with a few recently due to the inconsistency, and utterly baffling views they seem to have now and again.

Hard job, never going to be always right, but the standard is falling through the floor.
Agreed!
And not only the refs, the other officials are dire too, looking for the refs decisions before raising the flags, and generally having no idea of how the game works.
One thing I have noticed though, is that the refs and "lineswomen" in the ladies game, appear to be better at the job than any of the shite weve witnessed this season, and they dont seem to be afraid to call it.

I prefer it. The games are feistier and there aren't as many annoying niggly fouls given, which has spoilt the game for years. There's also a more reasonable amount of stoppage time being added.

The results haven't gone our way the last couple of games so it doesn't feel great, but they've been crackers.

One thing I have noticed though, is that the refs and "lineswomen" in the ladies game, appear to be better at the job than any of the shite weve witnessed this season, and they dont seem to be afraid to call it.
I think one big difference between the men's and women's game is that, from what I've seen, the women don 't repeatedly try to cheat. Refereeing would be a lot easier if there was no cheating.

It should be relatively easy to spot cheating now that every game in the top leagues are televised. Retrospective punishments would cut it out.

I feel it’s like the job as PM at times, damned if they do, damned if they don’t. The players do annoy me at times especially Premier League, Man Utd, constantly surrounding the Referee. You never see this in a rugby, the referees don’t stand for any shit from the players. It’s about respect, they’re human and will make mistakes but I think it all evens out at the end of the season,

A player kicked another player while he was laid on the ground, but that's not a red card in the championship.

We do that, he'll be off.

It certainly has made it difficult for the ref to judge which tackles are genuine or it’s the players conning them. It doesn’t help for the confidence of the ref when you have cretinous behaviour from the likes of Klopp when he thinks a decision has gone against him.

Just watched the majority of the Leeds v Fulham game. A very good performance from ref Anthony Taylor who let a few crunching challenges go without blowing his whistle. He was consistent for both sides too. The big positive was that the players (and managers) accepted his decisions and just got on with the game. Turned out to be very watchable defeat for Leeds !

I have zero sympathy for that useless, inept, and yes I'm going to say it, biased twat today. He might as well have had a norwich shirt on.

The pen...Anel's tackle was outside the box, or on the line if you're being generous. Egan got the ball. It was not a penalty.

I, from the kop, clearly saw one of theirs with a handful of McBurnie's shirt in the box from a corner...nothing.

That disgusting, disgraceful attempt from (I think) Hanley to get Sharp sent off...no words. How he escaped a booking for that is beyond me.

The deliberate, snidey kick into sharp's ribs/arm after a foul that wasn't given? Nothing. Should have been a red.

Cantwell's constant diving? Nothing.

I know Norwich are this season's media darlings, but for fuck's sake. They can have all the press and media loving they want, but they should not get the same from (supposedly) impartial referees.

The ref today was nothing short of a fucking disgrace. He should never referee a football match again, at any level.
Watch the replays, Egan's tackle 100% penalty.

Back
Top Bottom