My take ...

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

pommpey

THE FUTURE ... AS IT USED TO BE
Reaction score
Am out in the caravan at the moment in Dorset, so a bit away from the base to view todays showing.

Thanks to everyone regarding steerage toward the NordVPN (fucking no idea, me) and the SUFCOK.co.uk. I ordered the match, got to Weymouth, settled in the White Hart tried to access the game from my phone, no fucking dice. So managed to faff endlessly trying to get access to my {REDACTED} live stream and managed at the end, eapods in, sipping my Coke, in the boozer. On 47% battery.

To be honest after we'd survived the first few minutes of scares, I thought we looked a heck of a lot better for 35 minutes of that first half. Some great work and great endeavor, even if it did look again very Wilderball. One would imagine that sometime soon, the endless forays into the corner, playing triangles until it was the ideal time to cross then failing to do so and booting it across the park to go down into the other corner ... the opposition might just suss it out and eventually put a cap on it. One would imagine, anyway ...

We huffed though, didn't we? McBurnie tried a worldie, Davies put one into the BLLT, Basham did his usual silkiness and RND looked purposeful ... and Fleck just did what Fleck did. Okay, he actally beat two men in one run ... first time for twenty years or so. And sometimes Hudderfield allowed Norwood's pings to get to their targets, not that the resulting crosses did owt.

Second half, and with 'We are the Blades!' still echoing round the stadium, we pressed forward, but with fuck all to how from it. There's me in the pub, pods in, going 'Oh, for fucks sake!' out loud and parents with young kids looking gone out at me. Then suddenly we went super flaccid and Huddersfield had absorbed every attempt on goal we could muster. Mind you, it's not as though their keeper was troubled much and was pulling off any meaningful saves, is it?

And I thought ... "you know. It's just like us to go one down now having had all this possession and pressing!" Stranger things happen, and they fucking did. I sat there in the pub with a face like slapped shit, glowering at the adjacent kids. Little cunts.

And still, without some useless, pointless substitutions, we failed to score.

Them my phone ran out of battery at 88 minutes, so I missed the drama at the end.

So, up to 88 minutes:

Foderingham 5/10: Not too bad as far as I saw. Pretty unsighted for their first. Put it this way ... he's not Verrips
Baldock 6/10: He's always involved, but the missing four is his end product
Basham 5/10: He still has the ability, but in a failing setup, he looks like the only player willing to take it past peple
Egan 4/10: Not a very impressive showing
Davies 6/10: Okay, he's possibly getting over marked but fuck me, anything is better than the golden robot
RND 6/10: Liked this bloke today. Looks like he wants to be in it. All the hype about him was correct. Fuck knows why he was subbed
Berge 5.5/10: First half, looked a reyt threat. Second half couldn't do much right
Norwood 4/10: A better showing from Pointy. But still pretty fucking wank
Fleck 2/10: Weak link in midfield and so fucking wanting in all departments. Gets a 2 for his brief foray past two players. Well done Jimmy
Brewster 4/10: Poor kid
McBurnie 5/10: Gets four of that for the bicycle kick alone. The rest of the time, flailing, landng on his back with his arms outstretched, shithousing and not really doing owt noteworthy. Did we really pay £20m for this bloke?

Sharp 4/10: Apparently he scored, so well done
McGoldrick 3/10: Fading fast
Osborn unmarked. Didn't see him do much

We should have come out second half and gone through the fucking gears and killed Huddersfield Town off, like WBA did midweek. Instead, this game tells us all we need to know about our failings and where work needs doing. We won't do it though. We'll fuck about and sign no one and be stucj with Norwood and Fleck as our only midfield options in Wilderballarama until SJ gets sacked in January, with people questioning where the fuck the Ramsdale munneh went

pommpey

Fodders 6

RND 6
Egan 5
Davies 5
Bash 5
Baldock 6

Fleck 3
Norwood 4
Berge 6

Brewster 3
Mcburnie 3

Sharp 6
Didsy 2
Osborn 3

Slav 2

Last edited:
Listened to it on the SUTV Live audio coming back from Paignton up the awful M5 and they kept saying that McB had run his socks off and was finished by the end of it and Brewster was always a mile behind the pace and not feeding off McB at all. Apparently if Brewster had been nearer McB and fed off him he would have had loads of chances but his football head has gone he is just not with it. Like Carl Asaba he really tells it how a lot of fans are thinking.

Huddersfield are utter pants, I know this for a fact as my work colleague who is a life long Huddersfield fan used to tell me every week (pre-covid) and still did the one time I saw him other month. How we lost to them I dont know but we did and that just shows how crap we are. Doesnt matter we slightly improved from the last game (to me thats people clutching at straws) we lost 2 friggin 1 to Huddersfield, Huddersfield of all teams. Shameful.

Last edited:
Sorry you missed the last few minutes Pommps.
It was pretty special what with the joy of our first goal after six full hours of Championship football and then the ludicrous jaw-dropping Sunday league defending that led to our latest defeat.
I mean, as if putting up with this pandemic shit wasn’t bad enough, we’ve had to witness more demoralizing defeats than any other team in the country. I’m beginning to fucking despair.

Listened to it on the SUTV Live audio coming back from Paignton up the awful M5 and they kept saying that McB had run his socks off and was finished by the end of it and Brewster was always a mile behind the pace and not feeding off McB at all. Apparently if Brewster had been nearer McB and fed off him he would have had loads of chances but his football head has gone he is just not with it. Like Carl Asaba he really tells it how a lot of fans are thinking.

Huddersfield are utter pants, I know this for a fact as my work colleague who is a life long Huddersfield fan used to tell me every week (pre-covid) and still did the one time I saw him other month. How we lost to them I dont know but we did and that just shows how crap we are. Doesnt matter we slightly improved from the last game (to me thats people clutching at straws) we lost 2 friggin 1 to Huddersfield, Huddersfield of all teams. Shameful.

Yeah my Uncle kept saying that McBurnie & Brewster were miles apart and thus had no chance of linking up.

Same old same old, enough to make you weep, control the game at a snails pace give a goal away lose. The only difference today is we had to gift them two goals.
Fodderingham 5 no fault with the goals good initial stop on the 1st but boy this guy is a clown lets a cross go over his head then chases it towards the corner flag WTF.
Baldock 5 really poor never got one decent cross in today despite seeing a lot of the ball. I think we need to call him backwards Baldock he always passes back to Berge or Bash when faced with a defender. lost the runner on the first goal.
Basham 5
Egan 5
Davies 5 at least he is an improvement on C3P0
RND 6 a steady enough debut not helped by Fleck giving him no support. At time out wide on his own against 2 defenders. Better than the rest of our LB/ LWB options.
Fleck 2 dugshit
Norwood 3
Berge 7 our one man midfield tired after the hour and started making mistakes
McBurnie 5 I thought he had a decent game the only player to work their keeper 1st half. Set up two chances for Billy in the 2nd half.
Brewster 3 err poor kid back to the little boy lost today

Sharp 7 made all the runs and movement Brewster could learn from unlucky with the volley but put the next chance away ......... if only he were 10yr younger
Didzy 4 did next to nothing
Osborn 4 did next to nothing

Slav 4 Not sure why Fleck is picked ahead of Freeman, baffled as to why he didn't get on instead of McGoldrick when Fleck was finally hooked.

Same old, unfortunately
We just have no creativity of any quality
No pace down the wings to beat a man and deliver any sort of quality crosses or moves
Norwoods delivery into the box, woeful as usual
All crosses from good positions all too high, hit the first man or miss the forwards
Very worrying times, desperately need a few new players who can go straight into the first team

Fair reflection, but gonna have to disagree with you on Sharp's mark. We don't score and a goal alone should get at least a 6 for our team. Had a shot on target and we don't get many of those either (although he should have done better). Made runs and wanted the ball, if only our other strikers could do that.

I know Billy can drift out of games, but he usually has a moment in a game where he does something. He's scored our only goal and at WBA put in a through ball for a sitter. I can't remember the last through ball that split a defence before that.

It's worrying that our strikers can't hit a barn door, but neither can the rest of them. The midfield chip in with absolutely nothing. Berge penalty against Liverpool, way back when and Osborne against Leeds. They don't have anything on target, or look like scoring ever. Usually you get a few goals from defenders. Bryan against Man Utd and that's your lot.

To be fair there was some creativity, but it was against an awful team. But the lack of team cohesion is unbelievable. They pass the ball around at the back, big whoop. The midfield passes the ball around, bigger whoop. The strikers, watch but don't run into spaces. I think it's time for some senior players to become bench warmers.

Am out in the caravan at the moment in Dorset, so a bit away from the base to view todays showing.

Thanks to everyone regarding steerage toward the NordVPN (fucking no idea, me) and the SUFCOK.co.uk. I ordered the match, got to Weymouth, settled in the White Hart tried to access the game from my phone, no fucking dice. So managed to faff endlessly trying to get access to my {REDACTED} live stream and managed at the end, eapods in, sipping my Coke, in the boozer. On 47% battery.

To be honest after we'd survived the first few minutes of scares, I thought we looked a heck of a lot better for 35 minutes of that first half. Some great work and great endeavor, even if it did look again very Wilderball. One would imagine that sometime soon, the endless forays into the corner, playing triangles until it was the ideal time to cross then failing to do so and booting it across the park to go down into the other corner ... the opposition might just suss it out and eventually put a cap on it. One would imagine, anyway ...

We huffed though, didn't we? McBurnie tried a worldie, Davies put one into the BLLT, Basham did his usual silkiness and RND looked purposeful ... and Fleck just did what Fleck did. Okay, he actally beat two men in one run ... first time for twenty years or so. And sometimes Hudderfield allowed Norwood's pings to get to their targets, not that the resulting crosses did owt.

Second half, and with 'We are the Blades!' still echoing round the stadium, we pressed forward, but with fuck all to how from it. There's me in the pub, pods in, going 'Oh, for fucks sake!' out loud and parents with young kids looking gone out at me. Then suddenly we went super flaccid and Huddersfield had absorbed every attempt on goal we could muster. Mind you, it's not as though their keeper was troubled much and was pulling off any meaningful saves, is it?

And I thought ... "you know. It's just like us to go one down now having had all this possession and pressing!" Stranger things happen, and they fucking did. I sat there in the pub with a face like slapped shit, glowering at the adjacent kids. Little cunts.

Them my phone ran out of battery at 88 minutes, so I missed the drama at the end.

So, up to 88 minutes:

Foderingham 5/10: Not too bad as far as I saw. Pretty unsighted for their first. Put it this way ... he's not Verrips
Basham 5/10: He still has the ability, but in a failing setup, he looks like the only player willing to take it past peple
Davies 6/10: Okay, he's possibly getting over marked but fuck me, anything is better than the golden robot
RND 6/10: Liked this bloke today. Looks like he wants to be in it. All the hype about him was correct. Fuck knows why he was subbed
Berge 5.5/10: First half, looked a reyt threat. Second half couldn't do much right
Fleck 2/10: Weak link in midfield and so fucking wanting in all departments. Gets a 2 for his brief foray past two players. Well done Jimmy
McBurnie 5/10: Gets four of that for the bicycle kick alone. The rest of the time, flailing, landng on his back with his arms outstretched, shithousing and not really doing owt noteworthy. Did we really pay £20m for this bloke?

We should have come out second half and gone through the fucking gears and killed Huddersfield Town off, like WBA did midweek. Instead, this game tells us all we need to know about our failings and where work needs doing. We won't do it though. We'll fuck about and sign no one and be stucj with Norwood and Fleck as our only midfield options in Wilderballarama until SJ gets sacked in January, with people questioning where the fuck the Ramsdale munneh went

pommpey

I thought both full backs put a right shift in and did some tremendous running off the ball in support. I suppose the two pillars on the kop massively obstructed my view though and it wouldn't have been as good as your Nokia 2310.

Very harsh on Fleck. He was gash last season, but that was his best game for months.

So, up to 88 minutes:

pommpey
Interesting you kept saying in your previous reports this season that we had been playing 3-5-2 from the start which wasnt true. Yesterday it was the first time this season we went back to 3-5-2 from the start but you didnt mention it?

Interesting you kept saying in your previous reports this season that we had been playing 3-5-2 from the start which wasnt true. Yesterday it was the first time this season we went back to 3-5-2 from the start but you didnt mention it?

So, had I said 'we played 3-5-2', you'd have had nowt to say about the match or 'My take ...'?

I see. I'll include it in future reviews, if it means I escape your forensic menstruating.

You probably need paracetamol for the cramps and some Super Plus, feller.

pommpey

I suppose the two pillars on the kop massively obstructed my view though and it wouldn't have been as good as your Nokia 2310.

Very possibly. I'd try to get a seat in Bramall Lane that allows you better vision of the match and maybe try looking at how the team plays rather than spinning your rattle, throwing your cap in the air, waving your scarf and blowing your whistle.

pommpey

My worry is I don’t know where we go from here. I think Slav has been weak to change the system back to the preference of the players. He clearly wants to play 4-5-1 // 4-3-3 so just do it.

Forget loyalty to Bash / Fleck / Norwood and the rest and play what you wanna play. If Brewster/ Osborn/ Freen have to play left & right wing then so be it until we sign players. Make them play how you want them to.

We create nothing from wide positions, I sit directly behind Baldock when attacking the kop and he literally doesn’t look who he’s crossing it to it’s just a hopeful ball everytime.

this guy is a clown
Another clownist :mad:

Norrington-Davis’s crosses particularly int second half were excellent but strikers were not making the runs into space they seem more preoccupied supporting midfielders with their triangle exercises

For the last 35 minutes of the first half we overwhelmed a poor Huddersfield side. Same again for the first 15 minutes of the second half. But as frustratingly usual we had fuck all to show for it.
Like Pommpey from about the 75th minute the thought flashed through my mind we are going to fuck this up! And sure enough we did.
If we are unable to beat a side as poor as Huddersfield then we are in deep shit. It's now blatantly obvious both Norwood and Fleck are way past their sell by date. their dead ball deliverance and performance has been atrocious for far too long now. As for Brewster ,......... Hate to say it but he is the biggest waste of money I 've ever seen over 50 years of watching the Blades. Get rid of all of them. You can't have three passengers in any side and expect to win games.

Thought Berge had a pretty good game especially first half. But noticed he was literally just walking around in midfield in the second half only breaking into a trot if he was unfortunate enough to receive the ball. I’m wondering if he is unfit or just can’t be arsed?

So, up to 88 minutes:

pommpey
It is worrying that the highlight of your “take” is that you know what slapped shit looks like !
I was at the match and generally agree with your views.
Loads of possession but very few good crosses, no through balls to forwards ( see Man C’s goals against Norwich) and no one taking on a dribble in the final third other than Berge
I will reserve judgement until I see us play after the window shuts, but I think this may well be a two year project

Thought Berge had a pretty good game especially first half. But noticed he was literally just walking around in midfield in the second half only breaking into a trot if he was unfortunate enough to receive the ball. I’m wondering if he is unfit or just can’t be arsed?
Why would he do it in the first fall but not second if it’s because he can’t be arsed. Just remember he was out with a serious injury before then having a non existent pre season

Fucj

fucking hate the M5.

Best we’ve played under Slav. The worry is, how shit actually are Huddersfield. Difficult to get an idea of the oppositions credentials so early in the season, but they are always seem to be around the bottom of the table.

Id give Fleck a 4 to be honest as that’s as good as we’ll see him play this season, which isn’t very good. But he looked better.

Billy a 6 for me. Used exactly how he should be in the squad. Tight game. Get on for the last 25 or so, get in the box and take a chance if it comes. Should have had 2 but the first falls into that bizarre saying of ‘hit it too well’.

Basham - I thought he looked very suspect at the back. Almost as if that athleticism is fading a bit. But 5 is probably fair as he is one of the few who try’s to make something happen.

Thought Baldock was MOTM yesterday. We’ve been hoping he turns into Kyle Walker for 4 years now, but it’s not going to happen. As a right back, one of the best. As a right wing back, very ordinary. But his pace is crucial in that back line.

Anyway, all the best and roll on next Saturday 🥴

Best we’ve played under Slav. The worry is, how shit actually are Huddersfield. Difficult to get an idea of the oppositions credentials so early in the season, but they are always seem to be around the bottom of the table.

Id give Fleck a 4 to be honest as that’s as good as we’ll see him play this season, which isn’t very good. But he looked better.

Billy a 6 for me. Used exactly how he should be in the squad. Tight game. Get on for the last 25 or so, get in the box and take a chance if it comes. Should have had 2 but the first falls into that bizarre saying of ‘hit it too well’.

Basham - I thought he looked very suspect at the back. Almost as if that athleticism is fading a bit. But 5 is probably fair as he is one of the few who try’s to make something happen.

Thought Baldock was MOTM yesterday. We’ve been hoping he turns into Kyle Walker for 4 years now, but it’s not going to happen. As a right back, one of the best. As a right wing back, very ordinary. But his pace is crucial in that back line.

Anyway, all the best and roll on next Saturday 🥴
Where was Baldock when Huddersfield scored twice from his side of the defence ?

Thought Ollie Norwood was half decent yesterday. Obviously gonna look better when we have 70% possession but felt his passing was on point for the most part and only one free kick that he made a mess of. For some reason I think people are expecting him to have become a player that drives forward and gets assists etc, that’s never been his game in all the time he’s been here. He kept us ticking over especially during those sustained periods of pressure and broke up play 4 or 5 times from memory. Certainly better than anything he’s offered in the last 18 months or so.
We need Berge and Fleck to start creating and scoring more. When was the last time one of those did something that led directly to a goal? The output from midfield is so shockingly poor.

Back
Top Bottom