Movement of support power in Sheffield

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

There hasn't been one 30,000 attendance in Sheffield for over 4 years that the Blades did not play in.

I entered the Junior Star Soccer Coaching Scheme in about 1975-76 at Graves Park. We had some ex-players (mainly pigs) come along and offer muted encouragement and then we had the big certification ceremony which was held in Hillsborough gym at the ground. We also had free tickets to watch the match, v Shrewsbury which they won 1-1.

I, like you, possibly needed counselling after that. It was child abuse, pure and simple. Forcing a 13 year old to watch that shite was Jimmy Savile-like dirty and vile.

Cunts.

pommpey
I may have been at that Shrewsbury match. Pigs used to give Middlewood Hospital free tickets and I went with a patient to make sure he wasn’t made worse. He wasn’t but I was

I may have been at that Shrewsbury match. Pigs used to give Middlewood Hospital free tickets and I went with a patient to make sure he wasn’t made worse. He wasn’t but I was

Gawd it was boring. I was sat on that bit where the scores used to be posted up. The ground was almost empty. I'm sure Shrewsbury took the lead in fact and it may have been 0-1 at HT.

Either way, it was like having my eyes pissed into.

Great win for the pigs though.

pommpey

The last time I went to a game at the sty without United being there was pigs v Newcastle in the 60's my mate had relatives down from Geordie land and we tagged along with their son. Must have been 67-68 pigs were not in stripes they had that daft blue version of the Rotherham shirts and I think Megson (Don) was playing. I remember it was freezing cold and drizzling, a bit misty and thoroughly depressing not helped by the most boring ever 0-0 win for the pigs, that and this Geordie kid whining and praying for a Newcastle goal throughout. It was so bad my mate kicked his fucking head in on the way home 🤣

last time i was at the sty when united wernt there was in 74 in the south stand wednesday 4 man utd 4 only time ive ever seen police horses on the terracing they had to go over the wall on wednesdays kop to stop a little group of about 200 wednesday fans being battered by about 15k man utd fans who had spotted em and were piling down in their direction must have been at least 25k mancs there that day mind great game it was

last time i was at the sty when united wernt there was in 74 in the south stand wednesday 4 man utd 4 only time ive ever seen police horses on the terracing they had to go over the wall on wednesdays kop to stop a little group of about 200 wednesday fans being battered by about 15k man utd fans who had spotted em and were piling down in their direction must have been at least 25k mancs there that day mind great game it was

I was staying at my sisters that weekend. My brother in law told me he wasn't going down for the last ten because it there would be some reyt feytin' between the Man U fans and the pigs and the pigs would probably get run.

All along Penistone there were sporadic outbreaks even down the sidestreets where they lived.

I remember it vividly because Man U being in Division Two was a huge novelty back then

pommpey

I was staying at my sisters that weekend. My brother in law told me he wasn't going down for the last ten because it there would be some reyt feytin' between the Man U fans and the pigs and the pigs would probably get run.

All along Penistone there were sporadic outbreaks even down the sidestreets where they lived.

I remember it vividly because Man U being in Division Two was a huge novelty back then

pommpey
yeah incredible scenes on wednesdays kop that day it was just all red and white can remember a copper on a white horse jumping over the wall on to the kop where i was sat you could see man utd fans surging downwards towards the small group of wednesday fans only time ive witnessed that at the lane was when 10k leeds fans took the kop at easter 74 and blades fans were congregated in the top corner near the old spiral steps mind they were all in ground 2 hours before kick off and apart from 1 county cup game against wednesday nobody has done that on the shoreham in 60 years of following united

yeah incredible scenes on wednesdays kop that day it was just all red and white can remember a copper on a white horse jumping over the wall on to the kop where i was sat you could see man utd fans surging downwards towards the small group of wednesday fans only time ive witnessed that at the lane was when 10k leeds fans took the kop at easter 74 and blades fans were congregated in the top corner near the old spiral steps mind they were all in ground 2 hours before kick off and apart from 1 county cup game against wednesday nobody has done that on the shoreham in 60 years of following united

That County Cup game was pretty damned horrible. Piggies running riot on the Shoreham End.

The coppers and the stewards had their heads up their arses, big style.

pommpey

I was at that game, in the days when my dad (an Everton fan) took us to both grounds - I was ten and didn't know any better.
In this highlights video you can clearly see Man U fans celebrating at both ends. Wendy soft tarts.

You can only dream? Why's that - it's very definitely happening now. It's been happening for 20 years, but has picked up pace for the last 2 or 3.

Wendy aren't the best supported club within Sheffield anymore, not by quite a way, I'd suggest.

What they always commanded was vast swathes of South Barnsley. That support is ebbing away.
You're bang on there. United are now the best supported club in the city and have been for some time. I think the growth of our fanbase started with McCabe and his pricing policies, which coincided with a steady decline to obscurity for the porkers.

The support they had in the surrounding regions has and is ebbing away. The youngsters of that support will probably go and support the big six or Barnsley, who let’s face it are these days a more attractive option than Wendy.

But if United can get back up and even if they can’t straight away and remain a top Championship club for one or two seasons, support from the outlying regions will drift our way.

Get back up and have a reasonable few seasons while they continue to stagnate, and there’ll be no coming back for them.

That County Cup game was pretty damned horrible. Piggies running riot on the Shoreham End.

The coppers and the stewards had their heads up their arses, big style.

pommpey
ronnie sharp talks about that game in his book only about 200 united lads turned up that night and a couple of thousand wednesday fans took the piss hes fuming about it in the book mind at that time united fans never turned out for county cup games or testimonials but wednesday always brought thousands to the lane very strange one that is was in the south stand that night with my future wife mind theyve never done that in a league or fa cup game

Talking about fans not turning up, I went to a testamonial game, Blades v Owls at Hillsboro 1971. Wendy had just been relegated and seemed to boycott the game. It was mostly Blades on their kop with maybe about 300-400 of them in a corner.
Think it was for Gerry Young, long time ago

Talking about fans not turning up, I went to a testamonial game, Blades v Owls at Hillsboro 1971. Wendy had just been relegated and seemed to boycott the game. It was mostly Blades on their kop with maybe about 300-400 of them in a corner.
yes was at that game wednesday just been relegated by ian bowyer definetly more blades than owls on their kop that day and yes it was gerry youngs testimonial

April 1970. I was there too. 3-3 draw

best ever turnout of blades on wednesdays kop was in jan 68 in our relegation season strangely enough must have been 4/5 thousand on there that day very lively anall lol

Back
Top Bottom