Movement of support power in Sheffield

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Basing Blade

Reaction score
Do you think, given that Wendy haven't had any success for a loooong time relative to us, that young supporters are more likely to drift to us, therefore changing the landscape of support in the city? I know there are family traditions, but I went Blades even though (or maybe because) my elder brother was / is Wendy.

When we were in the Premiership, you often saw Blades shirts around, but no Wendy Chuppa Chups.

In Liverpool, Everton were the power house unto the late 60s.

Manchester is changing.

If we can go up and they stay down, how brilliant would it be to have us in the top tier and the Chuppa chips in the third tier.

I can only dream.

a club who’s been in the top flight 3 seasons in the last 20 (the last 2 which were arguably the PL’s most lucrative and popular)

vs.

a team which has dipped between the 2nd and 3rd tier for the past 20 years

If we could have put two divisions between us then that could have been, well to use a dirty word, Massive.

Missed an opportunity to sew up the region for a decade or so… at least for the time being.

Yes…theres always been a cyclical pull regards young supporters.
The weird factor is that neither team has been able to dominate for too long….so unlike in Nottingham or Stoke…the Sheffield fanbase has been fairly evenly split.

My parents didn’t support either team…it was around 1975 when I was old enough the attend matches and appreciate football. I had free choice.

One uncle took me to Hillsboro, they had Len Ashurst as manager with David Sunley as the star player, gates were normally around 12K but with no roof on their Kop the atmosphere seemed poor. Then another uncle took me to Bramall Lane where everyone raved about Tony Currie and Woodward, gates were about 23K but it seemed a much better atmosphere.

Most kids at school seemed to support United….so it was a no brainer to become a Blade.
Believe it or not in the late 70’s I often felt sorry for Wednesdayites…they always seemed a sad and embarrassed group.
I soon learnt my lesson on that one ha.

There's no religious bias, or poor area/swanky area or white collar/blue collar supporters in Sheffield. You just tend to support what your family support.

But even that breaks down over time.

My Grandad and his sons ( My Uncles) all supported Wendy when they were younger, and when my Dad as a foreigner to Sheffield turned up and started dating my Mum he was immediately initiated as a new Wendy fan.

But all my brothers and sisters support United. All my uncles kids (my cousins) support United.

The reason it happened I think, is lost enthusiasm from my Grandad and Uncles, my Dad was never that bothered anyway and we didn't have SWFC drilled into us.

As more and more 20 and 30 odd year old's lose their enthusiasm for SWFC, their kids will become more likely to support United.

Either that or one of the big six.

The only thing that makes a significant difference is being in the Premier League, that would make a seismic shift otherwise it would take decades of us being a league ahead to make a clear noticeable change.

Grew up on the Gleadless Valley in the 60s. Family had been allocated a house and moved out of Upperthorpe onto the Valley. I was the youngest. Rest of the family were all keen Wednesdayites, and tried to get me to support them. But in those days, unlike today, kids just went out from dawn til dusk playing footy and cricket on whatever bit of grass was available. And all the other little kids out playing footy were Blades, and wanted me to support them.

So, my Dad and sister took me to my first ever game, at Hillsborough in March 1966 to see Wednesday v United, and I was still unsure who I preferred. We went on the Kop at Hillsborough, and stood right at the top of what was then a steep open end. In those days fans used to mix, and we were stood with loads of Blades with huge flags. I thought red was so much brighter than the blue banners lower down the Kop. And then the teams came out. And the red and white stripes seemed so much brighter than the blue and white stripes. (None of this playing in change kit for no reason in those days).

George Best at Man Utd was the coolest bloke in football at the time. Hair down to his collar. Shirt outside his shorts. There were 21 players on the pitch who looked like my Dad, with short back and sides, and Brylcreemed hair. But there was Alan Birchenall looking like a blonde George Best with longer hair rand untidy shirt . I thought 'Fuckin' 'ell - this is for me'. And then he scored both as we went 2 goals up in the first half hour, although Wednesday pulled it back to 2-2.

So that was why I became a Blade. Hence my membership name.....

Strangely, I have a Wednesday mate who had the same experience in reverse. Family all Blades, but he became an Owl.

But despite the above, I reckon things are cyclic and whoever is doing best will get more support. Never had the chance to test that theory though as my kids are all girls without any football interest whatsoever.....

Out of my family I had one Uncle who had leanings towards the grunters. After the war him and my dad would go to both, the Lane one week and the sty the next but all my other family were firmly Unitedites. I suppose every family has a black sheep but then again the said uncle did live on Parson Cross after the war, everyone else lived in Tinsley, Carbrook or Attercliffe. Back in those days maybe geography had something to do with it and the ease of getting a tram from Tinsley through Attercliffe to the City centre.
It may be fairly even levels of support just now but another 20years out of the top flight will seriously damage the grunters. 1967 the last time they averaged 30'000 having a larger capacity at the sty used to work in their favour for big games but they don't even have that any more. We have shown that with any level of success we can average more than 30,000 consistently only ground capacity holds us back. we would have done so on four occasions since 1967 without Covid.

There's no religious bias, or poor area/swanky area or white collar/blue collar supporters in Sheffield. You just tend to support what your family support.

But even that breaks down over time.

My Grandad and his sons ( My Uncles) all supported Wendy when they were younger, and when my Dad as a foreigner to Sheffield turned up and started dating my Mum he was immediately initiated as a new Wendy fan.

But all my brothers and sisters support United. All my uncles kids (my cousins) support United.

The reason it happened I think, is lost enthusiasm from my Grandad and Uncles, my Dad was never that bothered anyway and we didn't have SWFC drilled into us.

As more and more 20 and 30 odd year old's lose their enthusiasm for SWFC, their kids will become more likely to support United.

Either that or one of the big six.

Agreed, I've explained football support in Sheffield to outsiders thusly:

"The only difference between United and Wednesday fans is that Wednesday fans are all tossers".

Grew up on the Gleadless Valley in the 60s. Family had been allocated a house and moved out of Upperthorpe onto the Valley. I was the youngest. Rest of the family were all keen Wednesdayites, and tried to get me to support them. But in those days, unlike today, kids just went out from dawn til dusk playing footy and cricket on whatever bit of grass was available. And all the other little kids out playing footy were Blades, and wanted me to support them.

So, my Dad and sister took me to my first ever game, at Hillsborough in March 1966 to see Wednesday v United, and I was still unsure who I preferred. We went on the Kop at Hillsborough, and stood right at the top of what was then a steep open end. In those days fans used to mix, and we were stood with loads of Blades with huge flags. I thought red was so much brighter than the blue banners lower down the Kop. And then the teams came out. And the red and white stripes seemed so much brighter than the blue and white stripes. (None of this playing in change kit for no reason in those days).

George Best at Man Utd was the coolest bloke in football at the time. Hair down to his collar. Shirt outside his shorts. There were 21 players on the pitch who looked like my Dad, with short back and sides, and Brylcreemed hair. But there was Alan Birchenall looking like a blonde George Best with longer hair rand untidy shirt . I thought 'Fuckin' 'ell - this is for me'. And then he scored both as we went 2 goals up in the first half hour, although Wednesday pulled it back to 2-2.

Strangely, I have a Wednesday mate who had the same experience in reverse. Family all Blades, but he became an Owl.

But despite the above, I reckon things are cyclic and whoever is doing best will get more support. Never had the chance to test that theory though as my kids are all girls without any football interest whatsoever.....
Did you go to Gleadless Valley Sec Modern, I did left in 1968

was at that game sat on the newly seated terrace in the south stand with my best mate he had his wednesday scarf on i had my united scarf on no trouble and yeah that was the era of the banners united fans were above the wednesday fans

Out of my family I had one Uncle who had leanings towards the grunters. After the war him and my dad would go to both, the Lane one week and the sty the next but all my other family were firmly Unitedites. I suppose every family has a black sheep but then again the said uncle did live on Parson Cross after the war, everyone else lived in Tinsley, Carbrook or Attercliffe. Back in those days maybe geography had something to do with it and the ease of getting a tram from Tinsley through Attercliffe to the City centre.
It may be fairly even levels of support just now but another 20years out of the top flight will seriously damage the grunters. 1967 the last time they averaged 30'000 having a larger capacity at the sty used to work in their favour for big games but they don't even have that any more. We have shown that with any level of success we can average more than 30,000 consistently only ground capacity holds us back. we would have done so on four occasions since 1967 without Covid.

Yes, traditionally the Northern areas of Sheffield were theirs and the Southern areas ours, but this doesn't apply anymore.

I go drinking over in Chapeltown, Hoyland and Birdwell quite often with some friends of mine, One Leeds fan, two Blades, Four Barnsley and three pigs, but out and about in those areas you're just as likely to bump into United fans as Wendy or Barnsley. As I'm sure you're just as likely to bump into Wendies in Mosborough and Dronfield

Hackenthorpe I'd say it's about 70/30 Blades/pigs, not as overwhelmingly pro-Blades as Frecheville, Gleadless or Birley but still somewhat Blade leaning.

Neighbour is a pig from a whole family of Blades, he and his daughter were the first ones. He grew up in the 80s when we were in the third/fourth tier and Wendy went up to the top flight, for what it's worth.

My mates a Tottenham fan, moved up here after he met his now wife at Uni. His kids are both Blades, he wants to be able to watch live football with them and so chose United because he gets to see better football watching United, the family facilities are much better and he can watch them on TV more.

It's a no brainer if you're choosing without family ties. Loads of people are relocating to Sheffielf at the minute, their kids will all be Blades

When United got relegated to division 3 in 1979, and then Wednesday got promoted in 1980 following the Boxing Day massacre, loads of kids at my junior school switched from United to Wednesday. Of course if you asked them a few years later they denied that they ever supported United.

May well always be a few who want to support the underpig but we must have won a few friends pre recent fall from grace.

I was born in 1962 on Gleadless Valley (137 Gaunt Road, one of the maisonettes facing Newfield Green) and lived from 1963 up on Constable Drive. The Valley up our Hemsworth end was mainly United, but down in the dip at Bankwood and over at Herdings was definitely swine. This was okay whilst we were at Hemsworth County Primary School, but moving into Gleadless Valley Secondary School (later, the Comp) at Matthews Lane in 1974 then the real fireworks started, especially as United started the seventies in Div One with the pigs loitering below, with the fortunes evened out by the end of the decade. But the mix of blue v red at school was eventful, and definitely tribal. Fortunately I'd left school and was in the Navy by the time December 1979 and 'that day' happened, so missed the shame at school it would have brought.

But Hemsworth, from the Water Tower, Constable, Mawfa, Ironside down Blackstock Road down to the bottom exit of Gaunt Road was mainly Blades. Grappler will testify this as he was in that catchment. There was a 'frontier' then which separated the northern face of the Valley, with everything across and up to the Cutlers and back to the Herdngs Flats being grisly pigfan bandit territory. This enclave terminated at Heeley obviously and toward town because of the proximity of BDTBL. On a quiet day/night, you could see the glow of BDTBL from my bedroom and sometimes catch the crowd noise on the breeze.

There were only one or two partisan red-to-blue and vice versa characters in our school, one of whom is Waddle's drinking buddy at Dore. None of the rest of us dared, or even had the DNA, to swap alliances.

pommpey

Last edited:
We really have missed a chance to grind them into the dust and make them our 'notts county" by going down last season. Most of my family are grunters, I have one sister who is a blade. The youngest brother (early 20s) is a man utd fan. Grew up during the sky sports man utd fest era. The youngest in our family's ( teen nephews) again support one of the big six clubs.
Unfortunately that's the battle nowadays.

Back
Top Bottom