Midfield recruitment is key next season

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Needs an out and out 10 and 2 quality box to box players. Coupled with a Berge replacement when he leaves.

Well, Didz could quite easily play the 10 role, but I don't recall the last time I saw a box to box player anywhere. Probably not since the 90s.

Well, Didz could quite easily play the 10 role, but I don't recall the last time I saw a box to box player anywhere. Probably not since the 90s.
Don’t want didzy shoehorned into the 10 role especially if the aim is to go up and stay up. We played with fleck and Lundstram as box to box midfielders last year.

A lot will depend on the system but I expect Fleck and Norwood will be mainstays in the team again and they should be given their pedigree, particularly Norwood's, at that level. An attacking midfielder is absolutely key - Osborn isn't good enough in that role and should be used as a back-up utility player, and Freeman has had a really poor season at Forest so can't be relied upon.

what did you think to the system last night yogi looked like 3421 to me but it certainly worked
Thought it worked quite nicely and it’s certainly very flexible can move between a 1 and a 2 up top which happened during the match.

As much as i agree with the OP regarding technically gifted midfielders, let’s not over look centre back. Egan could be gone, JOC may not be the same/come back, Kean for many isn’t good enough and is out of contract, Jags on his way out, ampadu on loan, Basham not suited in a four and unlike midfield and up top we don’t seem to have many centre backs coming through the ranks. Last nights three (on that performance) wouldn’t be a million miles away from a top 6 championship midfield trio.

Will Freeman be coming back? I know Forest had an option on him but can't see them taking it up with how few games he managed.

If he's fit that's a good, positive Championship player coming in.
According to a Forest fan I know Forest will not be signing Freeman perm in summer so all but certain will be back at BDTBL for next season

Thought it worked quite nicely and it’s certainly very flexible can move between a 1 and a 2 up top which happened during the match.
yeah just cant understand why chris didnt try something different i wonder if this big rumour today that sj is coming in at the end of the week had any effect on last nights very good performance keep to that sort of level and think weve a great chance of top 6 at least next season

I think a rebuild is needed, this season has been a disaster and some players haven't done themselves any favours with their performances (Fleck/ Norwood/ Burke ect) and off-field antics (Mousset/ McBurnie) , our defence also needs to be addressed as we have looked terrible with O'Connell out of the squad.

what did you think to the system last night yogi looked like 3421 to me but it certainly worked
Was much more fluid and showed the pressure Fleck and Norwood have been under all season against world class opposition. One more player in there to bolster Osborn ,Norwood and Fleck plus a couple of young ones coming through will be all we need. We are so much better with that scouse leech out of the picture. I would still like to see Besic.

I've watched some of the Barnsley game and we need at least one new CB who can head a ball. It's all hoof and we're really poor at defending a high straight ball.

Freeman will come back and should, like all the players we keep, start with a clean slate with the new manager. If freeman is fit he's a class player at championship level.

Freeman will come back and should, like all the players we keep, start with a clean slate with the new manager. If freeman is fit he's a class player at championship level.
Freeman can do one for me, League one level at best now.

Have I missed something regarding Freeman? Only ever recall him putting in good displays for us.

Have I missed something regarding Freeman? Only ever recall him putting in good displays for us.
once again it depends on whether the new manager wants freeman personally think he would be a useful asset in the championship but like norwood and fleck wouldnt be an automatic choice for me we need another 3 midfielders in anyway

once again it depends on whether the new manager wants freeman personally think he would be a useful asset in the championship but like norwood and fleck wouldnt be an automatic choice for me we need another 3 midfielders in anyway
Yeah we definitely need more bodies and competition in. It's our weakest area, for me - especially with Lundstram and Berge very likely to go.

Freeman has an excellent record in the Championship - not withstanding a poor year in a bad Forest side. He deserves a go at it at least, he's never had a chance here. But like you say, the new manager might not want him.

I recall a few like that - always seemed to do well but didn't seem to get many games. Paul Wood is the best example from back in the Bassett days, Colin Hill being another one. More recently, I actually thought Ricky Holmes looked good on the odd occasion he got on the pitch (very strange considering how long CW trailed him!), as did James Wilson (the CB not that tool that thought he should be playing up front for Man Utd) - both obviously miles away from the current standard of course

We absolutely have to add creativity (and a bit of skill) to the midfield. It's been severely lacking this season.

I keep seeing this. Dids isn't a number 10 as in a behind a front two. That isn't his game, he's a deep lying forward not a creative midfielder.
If we are looking at Dids to be our creative driving force next season in midfield we're in big trouble.

I'm not saying Didz couldn't be an effective number ten behind the front two, and I would like to see it... but I think his strength is that he drops into the number ten position from up top, which is why he finds that space because the opposition struggle with who should be picking him up.

He's such a joy to watch, so intelligent and talented. It will be interesting to see how the new manager utilises him

Back
Top Bottom