Memries of Testimonials

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Darren

Reaction score
Apropos of the post re the Currie testimonial, I got thinking about the testimonials I had attended and it came down to the paltry total of 3:

November 1980: John Flynn - the maestros of United's 80-81 relegation team played the cloggers of the 70-71 promotion team and won 8-4. Curran, then at the height of his Wednesday fame and 6 months after his wonder goal at the Lane, guested for United, was booed throughout and scored a couple of goals. Whatever you want to say about Curran, he had some guts, being willing to play in that game...

May 1986: Tony Kenworthy: United's first team with a few guests (Currie, Stainrod, Speight and - I think - Curran again) played Wednesday and lost 3-4. It was a surprisingly good game, with a healthy crowd of about 10K and fairly competitive - apart from everyone, when Currie (aged 36 and with very dodgy knees) got the ball, failing to challenge him, so he could spray a trademark long ball across the pitch.

October 1986: Tony Currie - alluded to elsewhere. Much more of a "showbiz game", then either of the above 2, but with a 17,000 crowd (better than any home game that season I believe).

Any more memries?

I have the Tony Currie one on video courtesy of Silent Blade.

Dane Whitehouse's testimonial is the only one I've been to. It was United Vs United Allstars, Uriah Rennie was Ref and seemed to have a great time. Kozluk played up front for United and scored five, I think and as I said on the other thread, Bryson was just about the best player on the pitch. Nathan Blake played for the allstars which is odd because I thought he didn't like us. Neil Warnock turned out in the second half, as did Derek French. A rotund Glyn Hodges played too, as did Bobby Davison.

The man himself came on fairly late and scored a hat-trick. I remember Rob Ullathorne desperately ushering him inside whilst pretending to cover the outside to allow him to go on and score. The second Whitehouse made it 12-11 to the allstars Rennie blew for full time despite there being about 5 seconds left of normal time. One of the more ridiculous testimonial games you're likely to see but great fun.

October 1986: Tony Currie - alluded to elsewhere. Much more of a "showbiz game", then either of the above 2, but with a 17,000 crowd (better than any home game that season I believe).

All but one - the Derby County game towards the end of the season attracted 19,000 odd.

The only one I have ever attended is the Lawrie Madden testimonial at the Sty in August 1990 which I think also doubled as the first "Steel City Challenge" game. Both clubs fielded strong sides and United got thumped 3-0. I stood on the kop and hated every minute of it.

Likewise, only attended Dane's - wasn't there a pitch "invasion" afterwards?

I say "invasion" because I think everyone strolled out of the family stand and on to the pitch!

On the subject of testimonials, isn't Monty getting one? His near 12 years as a first team player is the longest for any outfield player since Woodward's 14 years from 64-78

There are no plans last I heard. I guess footballers retiring these days don't need the pay day like they used to.

There are no plans last I heard. I guess footballers retiring these days don't need the pay day like they used to.

True, but what tends to happen these days is that there is a testimonial to mark the said players acheivement and he donates the profit to charity - weren't Roy Keane's the Nevilles etc all on that basis?

I went to Joe Shaw's testimonial. It was one of my first games but have no recollection of the date - 1965? Nor who we played or the score. I seem to recall in the match before he got injured and there was a chance he would not be able to play.

I went to Joe Shaw's testimonial. It was one of my first games but have no recollection of the date - 1965? Nor who we played or the score. I seem to recall in the match before he got injured and there was a chance he would not be able to play.

It was 1965. United played an all star XI and lost 5-6. I think Stanley Matthews (then aged 50) played for the All Stars.

I remember going to the sty maybe Gerry Young's testimonial, us Blades weren't happy stood on their kop with an inch of snow on our heads.

Didn't we play Wednesday in a Testimonial for Derek Dooley in about 1993/94? Got a vague recollection of standing on the John Street Terrace for what was possibly a 1-1 draw and the resounding chant of 'he's fat, he's sh*t, he's never f*cking fit, David Hirst, David Hirst'

I remember going to the sty maybe Gerry Young's testimonial, us Blades weren't happy stood on their kop with an inch of snow on our heads.

Young's testimonial was in April 1970 and ended 3-3.

Didn't we play Wednesday in a Testimonial for Derek Dooley in about 1993/94? Got a vague recollection of standing on the John Street Terrace for what was possibly a 1-1 draw and the resounding chant of 'he's fat, he's sh*t, he's never f*cking fit, David Hirst, David Hirst'

We did indeed. It was at the start of the 93-4 season and we lost 0-1. Hirst may well have got the goal :-(

i seem to recall going to mick speights testimonial (england 'b' international).. probably around 1981 ish??

All but one - the Derby County game towards the end of the season attracted 19,000 odd.

The only one I have ever attended is the Lawrie Madden testimonial at the Sty in August 1990 which I think also doubled as the first "Steel City Challenge" game. Both clubs fielded strong sides and United got thumped 3-0. I stood on the kop and hated every minute of it.

I suspect they'll be having a reunion in 2015, and buying themselves a trophy for that one. Showing my age, can anyone remember the old County Cup games that were held in the fifties and early sixties? Saw United beat them 3-2 at the Lane, and John Quinn hit the bar when he was standing right underneath it - think Monty, but much older.

Darren first. Thanks for the Joe Shaw testimonial info. You have solved a puzzle for me. I was pretty sure I had seen Stanley Matthews play but could not work out when.

Revolution. I remember County Cup games well, we beat Donny 9-0 once and I missed the game. I also remember a match at the lane against Barnsley. We were winning 2-0 with 20 minutes to go and lost 2-3. Or is my memory playing tricks?

Darren first. Thanks for the Joe Shaw testimonial info. You have solved a puzzle for me. I was pretty sure I had seen Stanley Matthews play but could not work out when.

Revolution. I remember County Cup games well, we beat Donny 9-0 once and I missed the game. I also remember a match at the lane against Barnsley. We were winning 2-0 with 20 minutes to go and lost 2-3. Or is my memory playing tricks?

It was actually Barnsley we beat 9-0 at the Lane in April 1969. The 3-2 defeat to Barnsley came at Oakwell in Nov 1970 after we had been 2-0 up.

I suspect they'll be having a reunion in 2015, and buying themselves a trophy for that one. Showing my age, can anyone remember the old County Cup games that were held in the fifties and early sixties? Saw United beat them 3-2 at the Lane, and John Quinn hit the bar when he was standing right underneath it - think Monty, but much older.

The County Cup actually lasted (with United's participation) until 1982, - though there were one or two tournaments without United and Wednesday up until the early 90's.

I was at United's last game in the competition at the Lane in May 82, when a United reserve XI beat a Wednesday reserve XI 3-2 in the final to win the cup and give us a league and cup double that season :)

Gerry Young's Testimonial was my first and there was no snow that day. My second was Johnny Fantham's (Wendy X1 v Sheffield X1) in October 1970. Strange that my first two testimonial matches was at Wendy! I think the next one was Len Badger's in 1973 (Blades v Wendy- Peter Shilton guested for Wendy). And there was one for John Harris in October 1977 when the 1971 promotion team played against Brian Clough's Forest who were to win the league at the end of that season (we lost 6-1 but Woody scored a great volley from a TC corner that stunned Shilton). also attended Colquhoun's and Flynn's but didnt attend the testimonials of my two favourite Blades, Woody (I was at Boarding School) and TC (I was playing in a chess tournament at York!)

Wasn't Joe Shaw's testimonial also graced by Hagan's last playing appearance at the Lane? Think I remember seeing him.

Back
Top Bottom