memries - most embarrassing moment at a Blades' match?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Rustyblade

Reaction score
Seeing as I'm in nostalgia mode today.....

I'd be about seven or eight, attending my first ever reserves game with my old man.

United scored at the kop end and I went mental.

Cue everybody in the sparsely populated John St seats interrupting their polite applause to turn round and stare at the crazy kid.

Thanks for the warning, dad.

Mine is the game at Southampton on 11/1/92. Its 1-1, United have a promising move going and Mike Lake is obviously sizing up a shot from about 35 yards. "Don't waste it" I shout, 2 seconds before his screamer hits the back of the net in front of the United fans...,

Mine really was when we played arsenal at home years back. We get a corner and I say "we'll never score tonight with that forward line, Veart couldnt score in a brothel" 1-0 to the blades straight away scorer Carl Veart

May try that sunday

Mine really was when we played arsenal at home years back. We get a corner and I say "we'll never score tonight with that forward line, Veart couldnt score in a brothel" 1-0 to the blades straight away scorer Carl Veart

May try that sunday

We didn`t score from a corner in that match...

Patterson-> Whitehouse->Veart - GOAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLL!

either way i had said he couldnt score but did

Some time in the mid 90s, we were playing at home (Portsmouth I think) and we were 1-0 down at half time. Apparently, though I couldn't remember it, I had made some childishly optimistic comment to my dad along the lines of "whatever, we'll come out and score three in the second half". Anyway, near the end of the game, and with United now 3-1 up, some bloke turned to me and said, "Do you know summat we don't?"

I had no idea what he meant and was looking at my dad as if to say "what's this nutter on about?" He persisted, but I really had no idea what he was going on about until he pointed out what I'd said, though I didn't even remember saying it. That was quite embarrassing. The poor bloke was only trying to be nice and I thought he was a fruitcake :D

On the open end at Ninian park ,don't know what year but about 20 years ago ,there were only a few hundred of us and a typical strike from one of our forwards came sailing towards me I shaped up like a centre forward and headed the ball back on to the pitch but mis timed it and headed it with my nose. I cut my top lip on my teeth but didn't let on but it swelled up for our night out in Worcester on the way back that night.

Mine is the game at Southampton on 11/1/92. Its 1-1, United have a promising move going and Mike Lake is obviously sizing up a shot from about 35 yards. "Don't waste it" I shout, 2 seconds before his screamer hits the back of the net in front of the United fans...,

Very similar - home in Prem to Boro and Jags shapes up to hit the winner "don't shoot" someone that might have been me shouts out...

On the open end at Ninian park ,don't know what year but about 20 years ago ,there were only a few hundred of us and a typical strike from one of our forwards came sailing towards me I shaped up like a centre forward and headed the ball back on to the pitch but mis timed it and headed it with my nose. I cut my top lip on my teeth but didn't let on but it swelled up for our night out in Worcester on the way back that night.
has swelling gone down yet

At a reserves game in the early 70's, my dad, as usual, lifted me onto the white railings at the front of the John Street Terrace. At the end of the game I turned around and jumped down to join him, only to be 'magically' suspended in mid-air. The back of my anorak had lifted over one of the railings and I was left dangling there, causing much mirth and merriment until my dad and another bloke lifted me down.

Some time in the mid 90s, we were playing at home (Portsmouth I think) and we were 1-0 down at half time. Apparently, though I couldn't remember it, I had made some childishly optimistic comment to my dad along the lines of "whatever, we'll come out and score three in the second half". Anyway, near the end of the game, and with United now 3-1 up, some bloke turned to me and said, "Do you know summat we don't?"

I had no idea what he meant and was looking at my dad as if to say "what's this nutter on about?" He persisted, but I really had no idea what he was going on about until he pointed out what I'd said, though I didn't even remember saying it. That was quite embarrassing. The poor bloke was only trying to be nice and I thought he was a fruitcake :D

That was 31/12/94 - the 3 second half goals were from Blake 2 and A. Scott.

Remember sat in the South Stand once screaming blue murder at Kabba to get up because he'd dropped to the ground just outside the opposition box after losing the ball. I was going mental shouting some serious abuse. Turned out he'd broke his leg. Whoops!

I went away to Plymouth the season we went up. It was only when I got off the train in Devon that I realised Id not put any clothes on.

swearing really loudly at a forest player whilst sat in the family enclosure didnt go down well.i nearly got thrown out!

Mine was at a game in the 60s when we played Arsenal at home and I took a lad from school ( we were in our teens) that had never been to a football match of any description. We joined my regular mates on the Kop and after about 15 minutes, no goals had been scored but there had been a few near misses. He was going "Ohhh yes" every time there was a near miss and my mates were looking at bit sideways at him. Then we hit the woodwork and he went "YEEEEEAAAAHHHHHHH" and turned round to me and said, "That's about 3-0 now isn't it?"

My mates then started looking sideways at me and I just wanted the ground to swallow me up. I never brought him again!

Where did you keep your ticket?

I hadnt, obviously, which was the embarrasing thing.

---------- Post added at 08:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:13 PM ----------

It didnt happen at a Blades match but on the way home from one. Wed just beaten Watford 3-2 in 2005 and me and a couple of mates were driving back into London. It was a nice day and we were driving past some right sorts so every five minutes one of us would say "Cor, look at that!" and wed all turn to look at the bird in the car next to us.

After a lull I saw an old guy in a flat cap driving a Yugo. "Cor", I said for a joke, "look at that". The lads turned, looked, and we all burst out laughing.

We turned back to the road in front just in time to see the back of the stationary car in front we were about to plough into.

---------- Post added at 08:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:13 PM ----------

It didnt happen at a Blades match but on the way home from one. Wed just beaten Watford 3-2 in 2005 and me and a couple of mates were driving back into London. It was a nice day and we were driving past some right sorts so every five minutes one of us would say "Cor, look at that!" and wed all turn to look at the bird in the car next to us.

After a lull I saw an old guy in a flat cap driving a Yugo. "Cor", I said for a joke, "look at that". The lads turned, looked, and we all burst out laughing.

We turned back to the road in front just in time to see the back of the stationary car in front we were about to plough into.

You sound like your full of jolly japes, can i come down and join the LB's for some pre-match ale?

did you survive ?

Very similar - home in Prem to Boro and Jags shapes up to hit the winner "don't shoot" someone that might have been me shouts out...

In a similar vein, v Leeds in the Carling Cup, Jags chests down the ball 35 yards out and shapes to hit it

"Oh, don`t shoot from theeeeaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrgggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhyyyyyyyyyyyyyeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In a similar vein, v Leeds in the Carling Cup, Jags chests down the ball 35 yards out and shapes to hit it

"Oh, don`t shoot from theeeeaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrgggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhyyyyyyyyyyyyyeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My dad in the game at Rotherham on 21/4/84. Its the last minute with the score 0-0 and the ball is played to Bob Atkins on the edge of the Rotherham box with his back to goal. "Oh don't give it to him, he's hopeless" says my dad.

In one graceful movement, Bob swivels and... you know the rest.

Remember sat in the South Stand once screaming blue murder at Kabba to get up because he'd dropped to the ground just outside the opposition box after losing the ball. I was going mental shouting some serious abuse. Turned out he'd broke his leg. Whoops!

A good friend of mine is a Forest fan and was on the Kop at the Hillsborough Disaster semi-final in 1989. The Forest fans saw a commotion at the other end and concluded, not unreasonably, that there was a pitch invasion or similar nonsense going on and they reacted accordingly with abuse and comments about Heysel.

They finally realised it was something different when they started laying out the bodies at the Kop end.

Whoops indeed.

A good friend of mine is a Forest fan and was on the Kop at the Hillsborough Disaster semi-final in 1989. The Forest fans saw a commotion at the other end and concluded, not unreasonably, that there was a pitch invasion or similar nonsense going on and they reacted accordingly with abuse and comments about Heysel.

They finally realised it was something different when they started laying out the bodies at the Kop end.

Someone I knew (not a Forest fan - got complimentary tickets from somewhere or other) was on the Kop as well that day and told a similar story. He said the Forest fans around him were laughing and joking about them carrying seemingly injured people out ("bring another one out!" etc) and it took some time to realise what was actually going on.

I remember saying at half time we were going to win 2-1. Then at 1-1 I said we would get another before full time. Thats the one time I have got something right while at the game

Its not big and its not clever................

Match at Leicester around 1973,I'd be 17. I'd borrowed my dads car and four of us went down. There was some scrapping afterwards which we were on the fringe of . As we got near the car there was a bloke wearing a Leicester scarf on a push bike bilke coming down the road, he was carrying a bag. One of the lads said 'Let's get the bastard' and kicked him off his bike; rabbit food spilled all over the road. The bloke got up and said simply 'What did you do that for?' and started gathering up his pet snap and put it back in bag as the 'friend' helpfully loudly shouted A G Agr Agro AGRO at him. Unpeturbed the bloke rode off. Reight hardcases.

Another time at Leicester a corner shop was full of 'Blades' helping themselves to whatever they wanted in full view of the shopowner. Outside a bloke was saying to anyone walking past. 'Tha dunt have to pay they gi it away'

Was it Coventry last season where Captain Blade stood beating a drum to try and create an "atmosphere"? That was pretty embarassing.

Or the game where Bob Booker came on the pitch to lead the fans in a sing song. I'm still trying to uncurl my toes from that one.

My Dad as Four Minutes of Added Time is put up on the board "They could play for four days and not score".

Got a free VIP invite to Blades V Fulham in prem. The most one sided pounding I think we gave anyone in Prem. Quinn 6 yards out shoots and its surley heading into corner, so I stand up screaming "YESSSSSS! GET IN YOU GINGER ****!" open my eyes with a load of suits looking at me as the ball trickled wide....

Back
Top Bottom