Marcus Dewhurst

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

It does seem that we've had a few highly rated goalkeepers at youth level who didn't quite make it:

George Willis
Marcus Dewshurst
George Long (ok to an extent)

Interesting to know why

It does seem that we've had a few highly rated goalkeepers at youth level who didn't quite make it:

George Willis
Marcus Dewshurst

Interesting to know why
George Long has played over 250 games and since leaving us most of those have been in the championship. I’d say he’s made it.

George Long has played over 250 games and since leaving us most of those have been in the championship. I’d say he’s made it.

Yeah I know which is why I said to an extent but he never quite reached the levels people thought he would when he first broke into the team.

Not knocking him, sure he's very happy and should be proud of what he's accomplished

Didn't realise Wealdstone had made it up into the national league proper. Guess they are full time? Still a bit of a trek for a northern lad good luck to him! Quite a few former blades at that level now.

Phil - any more info on him I can pass on to my Wealdstone supporting mate?
Let's see whether he gets the shirt in the first few games.

Marcus has an all round game. He's not one of these more modern huge unit keepers. His game is based around agility. Diving for shots, etc. Despite his fucking bad language, he's rather calm during play.

There was a bit of an urban myth that he'd been an outfield player in Hull City's Academy. But, we quizzed his Mum & her partner about that. He'd done nothing more than gone for kickabouts in very junior sides. Before converting to a keeper.

We swallowed the myth because he has been prone to a wander way outside the box to make "tackles" or dribbles.

His attitude is spot on. Works hard. Likeable from what I've seen from the sidelines.

I'm reminded of that goal he scored for England!!!!

George Willis
Marcus Dewshurst

Interesting to know why
I'm sure George Willis was deemed to be better than Long, just a couple of years younger. Adkins came in and released him almost immediately and he dropped down the leagues, but I I think he's back working with the academy now.

He had to leave, he was playing one game every four weeks for the U21’s, his contract was up in June and unlikely to be renewed, wasn’t deemed good enough to be named in the first team squad, so it was a case of jump before you’re pushed.
He’s obviously gone to Wealdstone to put himself in the shop window and earn a contract with an EFL side, rather than anonymously while away his days at Shirecliffe and has made the right move to try and secure his future. He is a Blade loves the club and had dreams of playing for the first team, but in my lifetime I don’t know of one goalkeeper who made the transition from junior to first team?

Good luck to him, it was a brave and mature decision, but ultimately the best hope of furthering his footballing ambitions. Hopefully one day he’ll return to achieve his dream, GLTTL 😉

Debut at Halifax tomorrow 👍🏻

Good luck to him. Got to respect anyone who moves for football reasons rather than sit in the reserves taking the cash.

I've got a couple of mates who support Boston who were raving about him when he was on loan there.

Marcus comes across slightly nervous in this. Makes all the right noises. And mentions the "outfield player" point I raised earlier.

Back
Top Bottom