Man Utd 3 Sheff Utd 0 - report/ratings/pod

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Deadbat

Reaction score
The pod might be better than the report….we discuss model villages reopening and invent a new formation (well France might have had it with Tigana, Platini, Giresse and Fernandez – we call ours the house!)

---

The Blades poor start to the season continued with a crushing defeat at Old Trafford. With a much-changed side it was always going to be tough but the Blades were thoroughly outplayed from start to finish.

In came Phil Jagielka at the back for the suspended John Egan and John Lundstram started for Sander Berge. It was all change up top with McGoldrick and Mousset in for Sharp and McGoldrick. Simon Moore got the nod in goal for the ineligible Dean Henderson.

Man Utd had the Pogba – Fernandes pairing many of their fans craved for and included Mason Greenwood up top with Martial and Rashford.

The game began with Mousset making a run at the Man Utd defence but was squeezed out and the attack fizzled out. The Blades did start well but that had been the case at Newcastle and just as in that game; they were unable to have an effort. Man Utd broke out and Stevens made a mistake, carrying on from Sunday but Lundstram got back to block Greenwood. However, the next attack saw the opening goal. It came from a throw on the right and with Stevens ball watching and then Norwood weakly losing a tackle, Rashford sent a cross over and MARTIAL swept home powerfully. Moore had not had a touch until this point and was picking it out of his net with his first thing to do. It was a well taken goal but way too easy.

A few minutes later Rashford came though and Moore had to come out and smother as the home side were cutting the Blades open at will as the normally solid defence continued its lack of shape and concentration. Baldock had been getting down the right and had a shot blocked but it was up the other end like a flash and Martial was in and squared to Rashford who had to score but poked wide. It was a shocking miss and after 12 minutes the game should have been over.

The Blades continued to stand off and let Man Utd pass it around with the midfield trio in particular not committed a challenge or pressing. After another Baldock shot blocked, Man Utd broke again and won a free kick. Fernandes hit a whipped free kick that Moore palmed away. From the corner, Maguire headed home from the free kick but it was ruled out for a push.

Rashford miskicked in front of the goal again when clear after a simple through all dissected the lades defence.

The drinks break could not come quick enough for the away side who were left chasing shadows. Wilder was very critical of a number of players as they took on refreshments and seemed unhappy with the lack of intensity.

The next spell saw Man Utd knock it about again and it was all too easy. Fleck and Stevens both made errors and then Norwood did have a chance with a corner after some patient passing finally led to a cross blocked. The corner was wasted and went over everyone. Lundstram had a shot over the bar in a decent 10-minute spell but still no effort on goal came after nearly 225 minutes of action.

Mousset was hobbling around and looked set to come off but tried to go on and was back on the field with McBurnie stripped and ready to come on.

Man Utd wrestled back control and twice nearly got in again before the second goal came. Once again it came down the Blades left after Fleck and Norwood had not pressed the all. It was switched wide and Stevens was beaten all ends up by Wan Bissaka on the right and the cross was smashed home by MARTIAL again with Basham beaten to the ball again.

The Blades looked a dispirited bunch when the half time whistle came and trudged off looking a side well beaten with half the game still to go. The home side had looked like scoring every time they attacked and with space all over the pitch; it could have been even more than 2-0 with the Red Devils barely out of first gear.

At the break Berge and McBurnie were on for Norwood and Mousset. Berge was given his chance at the heart of midfield in the defensive/quarter back midfield role.

Fernandes had a free kick that led to a free kick before United finally broke out and got a cross in but McBurnie completely missed his header.

Fleck’s corner though was a waste and Man Utd cleared. It went back up the other end and Stevens error led to a corner. Greenwood then had a shot over as Man Utd continued to dominate possession and chances. It became a game of attack v defence for a spell.

Pogba then embarrassed Berge with some sublime skill but the ball was taken off his toes by Rashford and blasted over.

Even Basham was making mistakes and it led to a corner but Maguire headed over.

On 64 minutes Zivkovic came on for McGoldrick. Lundstram drew a foul from Shaw who was booked. However, the Blades did not look like scoring and Greenwood flashed a shot wide again.

On 72 minutes the third came. Fernandes played a lovely flick and then a one two from Rashford saw MARTIAL in on goal, beating the offside trap. He sat down Moore and chipped in easily. 3-0 and a hat trick for the Frenchman.

The fact Manchester United changed 5 subs summed up how easy it had been although McBurnie finally had a shot for the Blades but it barely reached the goal.

On 82 minutes Ighalo skinned a defender and Moore made a mess of things and it went out for a corner. The next spell saw Man Utd move it about confidently again and nearly work another opening.

The clock ticked down and it was all too easy for the home side who were cantering to the win. Moore was slow out as the ball went through but at least got back to block the shot from Ighalo although it would have been a penalty if he had gone down.

United – We are getting worse sadly. I knew it would be hard with half of the defence out and the keeper missing but today it was painful to watch. We started ok for 5 minutes but after this it was men v boys and it looked like a lower league team going to a Premier League team in the Cup. Gary Neville (who should never have been commentating in such a game and kept calling them United which was annoying) was right in that it should have been 5 or 6. It was a complete domination. They got through us time after time and really with better finishing it would have been totally embarrassing. They scored some well-made goals but it was all too easily. We have looked the first few games everything we had not so far – a complete soft touch. We barely put a tackle in all game and did not press. Sure, they are better players but there was only 2 points between the teams before tonight so it’s not like they have been miles better than us all season by some way.

Let us not kid ourselves though – we have been shocking in the other two games too. It is not just tonight. We have had one weak shot in 3 games and not even looking dangerous in our play. We have been easy to get at and not pressed or harried. It has been eye poppingly bad. If we had been like this all season, then fair enough but we look like a completely different team. We look totally unfit and have no sharpness at all. A lot will talk about our play on the ball but our play off the ball has been the worry. It was out high intensity play that made us so good. We’d force teams to turn the ball over and then go forward. We have seen nothing. Nothing individually (Basham one game apart) from anyone. I can’t think of any really good performances. Collectively, we look a shambles. If we had not had the season we had, then we’d be scathing. So, we have to balance things. My concern is not just us losing or a few off performances. We have been horrific. Good players who performed well, Fleck, Stevens and Norwood have literally been appalling.

Man Utd were just too good for us and its one of them where the players who most would think are a lot better showed they were (which had not been the case this season and at the Lane)

I will get laughed at but I do not see where our next point is coming from. I really don’t. That is not a ridiculous reaction as it is not just Man Utd but Newcastle beat us easily and Villa were better. We do not even look like having an attack / let alone scoring. We have had bad spells under Wilder before but you can’t get away with it at this level. You have to have 7 or 8 players at it, maybe more. We are literally seeing our players almost man for man lose every battle in fitness, challenges and skill.

Hard to know where to go as doubt O’Connell will be fit. At least we have Egan and Henderson back but the defence is getting horribly exposed. I felt sorry for some of them – everyone will slate Moore and I know he does not look like saving anything but he had no protection. The lad Robinson must wonder what is happening. In front of them the 5 other players have literally been non existent since lockdown. They have barely got out of a jog; done nothing on the ball and look a timid, sorry bunch who have no confidence they can do anything right. We literally look a different side to the one we had before. Of course, the crowd is a factor and the strange atmospheres but it’s the same for every team and we have not responded. We cannot make excuses. The players, coaching staff, fitness team talked the talk before we came back but we have looked the worst side in the league since we came back – maybe Burnley and Norwich have a smaller sample size. Whatever prep they have done we are simply not ready and don’t look fit and look mentally beat. As soon as we concede, we are done.

I have been quite critical above and it is important to say what a fantastic season we have but I am analysing this game and Wilder himself has said it does not matter in some ways what you have done before. The reality is that Wilder has got us to this level and demands more and have showed that we can live with these teams for ¾’s of the season. If we had played like the first 3 games all season; I would understand but we have not. We have looked like the side that Nicol, Mills etc all predicted and all the talk about our defensive record has now gone with 6 goals in two games and our goal difference now minus 1. It would be a huge shame that everything we have done could be somewhat wasted unless we can snap out of it quickly but I am not sure how he can get the team to be much fitter, sharper and forceful on and off the ball with such a quick turnaround. We had 12 weeks to get the team ready and we are not. All those fans saying how eager we were to come back and how fit we would be now look very silly as we look the least prepared in the league.

It’s time to take stock and hopefully with the pressure off we can have a go in the cup but sadly when we try and open teams up – we end up with gaps all over. We literally look like we have less men. I think the idea of changing the system Wilder has had for 3 years would be scoffed at but he may have to consider it as it is not working and the lack of fitness, pressing is being exposed by our three man midfield and a defence where there are numbers over all the time. Maybe he needs to play Norwood and Berge and Lundstram and Fleck in front with McGoldrick as the lone striker (I called it a square or a house in the pod @tufty_club did!). Get us more solid and see us having more of the ball and at least having some control of games. Personnel wise, we have spent an awful lot of money on Berge, McBurnie and Mousset and all three look well off the required standard currently although the latter two have done well in spells before the lockdown.

I am sure a lot will say I have gone over the top and maybe I have but we wanted to aim high and all this we had a great season, if we fall away then its not the end of the world, least we are safe’ is exactly the attitude Wilder rightly despises and why we have done so well as he drives them on. If we think like that then we may as well plan for a relegation scrap for next season now. We need to somehow find some life. I don’t care about Europe or even the cup. I want us to find some identity back before the end of the season. The bit where they put 5 on and we just carried on hurt me. That was a p**s take and we should have really at least put a foot in but we carried on meekly. Even if we lose a few more, I want some performances of fight and verve. At the moment we look insipid and like we are feeling sorry for ourselves. If we carry on the same attitude to finish the season in how we approach things and don’t engage with teams, we will lose every game.

Now is a big test for Wilder and the team – they can try and turn this around or continue as they are and be known as that team that had a great three quarters of the season but then faded dreadfully and finished bottom half and never finished what they started. It is the best United team in my lifetime and that is why how they are playing is frustrating. They are better than this. I just hope they can find something from somewhere. At the moment for the first time for 3 games I am not looking forward to games and that is an odd feeling. I hope and have faith that Wilder will get it right again but I am unsure if he can do it with the number of games and how the season is playing out now. We just have to hope he finds a reaction from them.

ould have had more. We could not handle him but struggled with Fernandes, Pogba, Rashford, Wan Bissaka, you name it. They all were miles better, skill, pace, athleticism. The lot.

Opponent Weak link – For the 3rd straight game no one lost their individual battle and no one stood out as a weak link. That is a worry. We did not even test a goalie lacking confidence.

Referee/Officials/VAR – As with other games, we have barely made a tackle so nothing to referee. Shaw got booked for a late tackle but it was an easy game to ref making all the talk about it being a Manchester referee seem superfluous. See loads still tweeting Hawkeye but whilst it was a joke it is not going to matter to us in the grand scheme of things – maybe it may affect Villa/West Ham.

Comments on lockdown coverage/atmosphere etc – Crowd noise seemed better and Man Utd made an effort with the fans pictures all over – be interesting to see if we do anything as we have been abject away from home so far in the three game.

Ratings:

Moore 4/10 – He was badly exposed and had too much to do but I will say he is the classic goalie that whenever the opponent shoot, you think it might go in. He dives like a computer game goalie – after the ball goes in. Not sure he had much chance on any of the goals – he did commit too early on the third of course. He just does not fill me with confidence. Even on other incidents he is too slow out or does not gather things. He nearly gave a penalty away, another bounced off his chest and went away. If Henderson goes back or we have an injury before the end of the season; we need to look at Verrips. Moore is not even a good enough 2nd choice.

Baldock 6/10 – The one right spot and that was only first half where he at least got forward and tried to attack a bit and he had a few crosses (bad ones) and a shot blocked. He has been one of few with any energy. 2nd half he struggled more and did not get forward at all.

Stevens 3/10 – A bit better than Sunday but not by much. He let another under his foot early that led to a chance, was not tight enough to his man all game and switched off on key moments. Both the first and second came from men running off him. Got skinned badly by Wan Bissaka on the 2nd. Kicked one out under no pressure second half (maybe thinking of Sunday). He never got in the opposition half all game. Looks a shadow of the player we saw before.

Basham 4/10 – Even Bash had a bad night. He lost his man several times including on two goals and was guilty of ball watching on a number of occasions. He looked slow and lost his battles and did not attack much either. He is normally so energetic but chasing mobile, quick strikers around is energy sapping in that weather.

Robinson 4/10 –Had a decent game v Villa but struggled since with quicker, more mobile players that are too skilled for our defence at the moment. The defence just got rolled around with one two’s, little passes way too easy. He looks a bit static. He tried to get forward early on but then after that could not as had to sit back.

Jagielka 4/10 – Looked what he is which is an old player who is a fill in. Tried his best but always at full stretch and could not handle the pace. We had big gaps in the middle which was an area he was meant to be covering. They just kept getting through us time after time.

Norwood 2/10 – Continues his awful form since coming back. Lost a tackle with a pitiful challenge and then never got close to the Man Utd players. You would think he would want to prove something on is return to Old Trafford but jogged about and never see the ball. The midfield has to work harder. To tackle, deny space, press and get amongst teams. A lot will be made of the fact we are not passing it well or creating but we have to win it do that. At the moment teams are dominating us with possession where it counts. Came off at half time with the game done.

Lundstram 4/10 – The best of a terrible trio in midfield again. First half he sat off and did not compete though. Later on he put a few tackles in and ran around after half time – after the game had gone. Had a long range shot and at least I saw him unlike any of the rest of the midfield who may as well have been invisible. He still let players run off him too much and did not protect the defence or help the attack.

Fleck 2/10 – He is lucky to get that. He barely got his shirt dirty. He was never on it and when he did, he gave it away. Let them run off him all the time and never kept to a shape to deny them penetration. Looks woefully unfit and off the pace. He is our best player but at the moment looks our worst. He was completely anonymous but worst than that he also did not do the defensive stuff either and when he had it lost it straight away.

Mousset 3/10 – Gets 3 for a run at the start and actually trying to get forward when he had it but got crowded out. After first 10 minutes saw nothing. Then got a knock and went down. Carried on but came off at half time. He cannot play more than 60 minutes. He is never going to make it at the top level if he can’t stay conditioned/fit. I was crying out for him to play but he was no better than the rest who have played up top – albeit with no service at all.

McGoldrick 3/10- Really poor. Wanted him to come into midfield and help give us an extra man but it did not happen and often it came off him or he was too slow to do things. Looked very unfit and off the pace but often a virtual spectator. I’d still play him at the moment but he needs to do more than that. However, as I say the midfield and defence are not helping the strikers as we are so deep so they have to create chances from half way- on their own.

Subs –

McBurnie 3/10 – Another poor performance; same as the other striker, really albeit with no service and the game gone. He ran with it a few times and then lost it and missed a good headed chance – just missed the ball. Did have our only shot since lockdown on goal - a weak pea roller. He looks out of shape too and has no power – and looks like he is running in quick sand.

Berge – 4/10 – Played 3 passes to feet – maybe more than Norwood and Berge did but that was it. He had an awful header that nearly put them in, got embarrassed by Pogba and then gave away a few cheap fouls where he was too slow to get to the ball. He was given a half in the Norwood role but the game had gone but I saw nothing remotely good from him where I thought he could influence games. At least Norwood has played well for us – this lad has done nothing for me since he come. I think he is looking an expensive mistake (I’ll get panned for that but he is not showing anything to suggest he is improving). I do not see anything in him – a few safe 5-yard passes are not going to be enough at this level – he needs to exert himself on or off the ball.

Zivkovic – Had 25 minutes and maybe had 2 touches in that time as we were defending and trying to keep the score down. Hard to evaluate him at all. He seems a bit like a headless chicken but then he is playing off scraps. The difference in movement and ability of the front players of the two respective clubs was a sign of how far off we are – but we have not been like that and saw Mousset and McGoldrick tear them apart at times at the Lane.

Manager Wilder 3/10 – Had little options with the team and brought in the players he had available and changed the strikers. Not sure he can do much if 9 or 10 don’t turn up again. He can’t go out there and run about for them or get them to press, tackle and show more energy. However, I feel we have been second best in every game and he has not changed the shape, formation or personnel till too late. We have 5 subs. He may as well use them. We were getting swamped from the off and he did not change a jot. That is worrying. He needs to not be so stubborn and show more flexibility as if teams are dominating us, he needs to tighten it up and get us more solid.

Man Utd – Won the game without getting out of third gear. Won’t have believed how easy it was. Scored early and then it was a matter of how many. They got three. It could have been seven or eight. It was like a practice game as they faced a side unrecognisable from the one, they faced at the Lane. The individuals will get lauded for skills/goals but they were playing a set of cones. We did not move around, chase them or give them anything to worry about. They just passed it round us. A bit of movement and they were through. It was just one two’s or give and goes or getting across defenders. They had more hunger, desire and energy and that coupled with the extra pace, athleticism and skill means they just dominated us and looked a far superior side. They seem to have hit form and I think regardless of our fall away will get top 5 with the other 4 – so not sure we would have got in even if we had not come back and looked like a team unrecognisable to the one that we saw before. I think Wolves are superior to us too and don’t have European games so the talk of Europe for us will probably. To think a week ago we were firmly in the talk for the top 5 too and now everyone will rightly disregard us.

Opponent Man of the Match – Martial. Man of the match. 3 great goals and c

Your ratings emphasise your disappointment.

Honestly.

John Fleck has never had a 2/10 performance in his entire Utd career. Tonight was no exception.

Your disappointment is palpable. Try, as hard as it might be, not to let it overly influence your otherwise on point musings 👍😀.

UTB

Spot on, Pal. Not at all harsh. Would have had Stevens as a 1.

All in all a fair account and, no doubt, how most of us are feeling tonight.

Disappointing to say the least.

UTB

Largely agree, albeit I'd give Fleck a 3 for winning a free kick. Bit harsh on Moore. I'd give him a 5. Otherwise, shit.

"Man Utd were just too good for us"

They weren't even that good. It was a very average Man Utd performance, but that's all it needed to be.

Your ratings emphasise your disappointment.

Honestly.

John Fleck has never had a 2/10 performance in his entire Utd career. Tonight was no exception.

Your disappointment is palpable. Try, as hard as it might be, not to let it overly influence your otherwise on point musings 👍😀.

UTB

Watch it back and tell me what Fleck did right in 90 minutes. I love the guy but you have to call it as you see it; its not about what he has done in the past. He never made a tackle, never made a run and was anonymous.

Him, Norwood and Stevens have been appalling since the restart - 3 of our best players all season.

I am disappointed but it has not influenced my ratings. Players that do not win a tackle, hardly touch the ball, make many passes of note, stop the other team or create anything of note are going to get 3's out of 10. Whether we play Man Utd or Macclesfield. The opposition dont matter - I have to analyse what our players did.

What mark would you give Fleck for tonight?

Report cut off...for some reason

Opponent Man of the Match – Martial. Man of the match. 3 great goals and could have had more. We could not handle him but struggled with Fernandes, Pogba, Rashford, Wan Bissaka, you name it. They all were miles better, skill, pace, athleticism. The lot.

Opponent Weak link – For the 3rd straight game no one lost their individual battle and no one stood out as a weak link. That is a worry. We did not even test a goalie lacking confidence.

Referee/Officials/VAR – As with other games, we have barely made a tackle so nothing to referee. Shaw got booked for a late tackle but it was an easy game to ref making all the talk about it being a Manchester referee seem superfluous. See loads still tweeting Hawkeye but whilst it was a joke it is not going to matter to us in the grand scheme of things – maybe it may affect Villa/West Ham.

Comments on lockdown coverage/atmosphere etc – Crowd noise seemed better and Man Utd made an effort with the fans pictures all over – be interesting to see if we do anything as we have been abject away from home so far in the three game.

I think your marks are about right, maybe a bit generous. I wonder what L Freeman and Osborne are thinking not getting any minutes in a very poor team.

your write up is spot on. Im even starting to agree with you about Berge, he was worse than the last game in his best postion. His running off the ball was so slow, A real worry. might have to cash in at end of season back to a team in europe

Well here in Barcelona I don't get to see the games... so I've always read your reports, all the way back from the times of Reunited and Rivals... and then the Tufty Club is fantastic, funny and even better when its just less than 20 minutes (seriously!) and there's a certain lucidity to your thoughts.
But this report I don't understand. There's no mention of JOC and what he brings! JOC is what is missing, he seems to be the real key for how the team works and makes it all so wonderfully surreal. He is the one that none of the other teams can comprehend.

If the season had not been stopped we would have won today! I was really certain Billy Sharp would score the third at the Camp Nou with a deflection off his bum. But never mind.

Baldock looked frustrated throughout, and I actually thought he also had a bit of a torrid game – panicked punts upfield rather than passed to feet, kept having to make cheap fouls near the box, and in the final third it was like early/last season where he was woefully wasteful. He, Fleck, Stevens and Norwood were probably our most in-form players along with Basham before the lockdown and have arguably been the poorest to return.

I’ve seen plenty suggest it’s the system at fault, but really it’s the pieces in the system being way way off what is needed to succeed. Be it Burnley at home or Newcastle away, we have to collectively be on top of our game to win. That system can carry a couple of people being out of form. No system can do that when we’re talking 5+ players all out of sorts.

"We need to somehow find some life. I don't care about Europe or even the cup. I want us to find some identity back before the end of the season."

Couldn't agree more. We will be playing our fourth game in 10 days against Arsenal. Thats a ridiculous schedule at the start of any new season never mind the mini restart. CW alluded to players being mentally tired and not being able to correct problems on the training ground because of games coming thick and fast. We can't fall off the edge of a cliff this season and need to get our mojo back. Spurs have 10 days rest before they play us next Thursday. IMO CW needs to rest as many players as possible for the Arsenal game to give them time to recover and focus on Tottenham.

Marks out of 10

Moore. 6. Couldn’t do anything about the goals, no major mistakes.

Stevens 3. These three games have been a bizarre transformation from looking one of the most exciting wingbacks in European Football to a guy who looks like he would, struggle to get into a Conference side. I hope this is an aberration.

Robinson 3. I thought he was competent in the Villa game but showing since he is not good enough for this level

Jagielka 5. I thought he was good until his mistake for the second then wilted badly surely entering his last month as a footballer before retirement.

Basham 6. The only player who it seems is trying to play at his normal levels.

Baldock 5. The lack of end product from his crosses has always been an issue but with virtually all our attacks coming down the right it has been exposed.

Fleck. 4. Surely must be struggling with injury? A shadow of the player who was running midfields in one the top leagues in Europe just three months ago.

Norwood 5. Nowhere near his best but i thought much better than his car crash performance at Newcastle, unlucky I thought to be pulled at half time which made us worse.

Lunny 4 . Playing for a transfer I thought. if any midfielder should have come off at half time...

Mcgoldrick 5. Tried his best some nice touches and tried to get on the ball and at least attempt things but his body is letting him down, worrying we have given him another two years.

Mousett 3. What can I say, proved for three months Between October and Xmas what enormous tallent he has but since then has shown he just doesn’t have the attitude or application. Might be his last game for us.

Subs.

Berge 2. Awful, simply awful. If he comes good then great, but he has shown absolutely nothing to me to that he is a 2k player let alone a 22m player.

Macburnie 3. I’ve been a defender of him and he’s shown glimpses of the player I thought he was last year in the Championship but this league is proving a big big step up for him. Poor in all three games since the resumption.

Zivkovic. 3 Nothing to feed on and not quite the “George Weah’s cousin” performance from Newcastle. Can’t see him staying here, not good enough

• Sheffield United have failed to score in three consecutive league games for the first time since September 2013 under David Weir.
  • Sheffield United have shipped three goals in consecutive league games for the first time since January 2016 under Nigel Adkins.

Of course it was bad, but thats stating the obvious. The guys are on the floor at present, so I dont see what 3/10s do to support them. They should have been fitter , the back up players should have had more game time. Robinson was far better then a 4/10 if you account for the bit part season he's had since joining in Jan. It doesnt change the end result but reminding them they remain the top premier league players they are is far better then succombing to reminding them of something they want to forget.

• Sheffield United have failed to score in three consecutive league games for the first time since September 2013 under David Weir.
  • Sheffield United have shipped three goals in consecutive league games for the first time since January 2016 under Nigel Adkins.
  • Sheffield United are now in the Premier League, so settle down.

Thanks for the report Deadbat . Can't be a very enjoyable task at the moment!

What is it with us and taking corners? We had 5 corners in the game and every single one was wasted. We kept trying that whipped one under the crossbar and we kept over hitting them, missing everyone and going out of play. We used to be inventive at set plays in the Championship and League One, but now we seem to have gone one dimensional.

It was like being back at an away game in our previous PL stint in 2007:

• we all knew we’d get nothing at a ground where we never win
  • we created next to nothing in terms of chances
  • the opposition were faster and given too much space
  • we had injuries and suspensions that weakened us
  • Jags was playing

If we keep playing like this we won’t win again this season. Even Bash, who’s had 2 straight good games, was off colour.

I know we have people missing and they were at full strength, but the fight and zip and effort that characterised us for much of this season has gone completely.

Moore inspires no confidence whatsoever, but he’s the backup so what can you do. God help us if we don’t get Hendo back.
Baldock didn’t have the best game but at least he showed some determination. Stevens is a shadow of his former self.
The whole team is so slow. And they aren’t passing sharply to compensate.
Berger is like a tall Louis Reed, or early Coutts. On the periphery all the time, doing nothing but a few risk free little things. He doesn’t look like a PL player.
Fleck was completely invisible. Norwood was little better. Both took terrible set pieces. Lundstram put a shift in at least.
Aside from a few flashes in the first half all 4 forwards were wretched, again. In McGoldrick’s defence he did try to do some of the hold up and movement he normally does but no one was connecting. Mousset looks crocked. McBurnie was hopeless again. Zivkovic looked equally hopeless. I don’t understand how we can not give Retsos a chance and not give Freeman and Osborn meaningful minutes and this reject from a third rate league is getting game time.

there was a lot of talk last night re changing the system. I don’t blame the system. It’s the players. The regulars are not performing as they can. They will waste the best chance this club has had to do something meaningful in decades if they don’t pull their fingers out.

i am very worried about next season.

I know we have people missing and they were at full strength, but the fight and zip and effort that characterised us for much of this season has gone completely.
2 things to offer if I may:
The naturally talented players (the ones proven year after year at top level) don't need to be as fit to come back looking the part.
Our system of energy and effort is suffering due to the heat, when you are tired you make poor decisions or don't execute 100%.

Watch it back and tell me what Fleck did right in 90 minutes. I love the guy but you have to call it as you see it; its not about what he has done in the past. He never made a tackle, never made a run and was anonymous.

Him, Norwood and Stevens have been appalling since the restart - 3 of our best players all season.

I am disappointed but it has not influenced my ratings. Players that do not win a tackle, hardly touch the ball, make many passes of note, stop the other team or create anything of note are going to get 3's out of 10. Whether we play Man Utd or Macclesfield. The opposition dont matter - I have to analyse what our players did.

What mark would you give Fleck for tonight?
4. Well below par.

2s are reserved for out and out stinkers.

When a side was as dominant as ManUre where yesterday, our cause becomes a largely chasing shadows exercise.

It’s impossible to award a 2 in these circumstances as our lads simply did not have the ball enough to screw up in the way a player does to genuinely justify a 2 rating.

All abart opinions !!

UTB

The naturally talented players (the ones proven year after year at top level) don't need to be as fit to come back looking the part.

There’s probably no easy way to establish that from past seasons, but I do feel like there’s almost been a dominance of squads-on-paper for the reasons you suggest. It’s one of the reasons why I’m pretty calm about reading too much into this for next season. Throw in the general weirdness and rule changes (changes which I suggested from the outset wouldn’t help us due to our lack of squad depth) and you can probably write this off at the end as a freak one-off occurrence.

Could anyone make sense of Wilder's strange pre-match interview rant about needing to "show off."

I couldn't decipher what he was on about. Seemed rattled & well off form.

Could anyone make sense of Wilder's strange pre-match interview rant about needing to "show off."

Was it show off or show up? He was talking about ref decisions not going his way and I thought the suggestion was him saying that maybe he needs to react more vociferously when decisions go against us.

Was it show off or show up? He was talking about ref decisions not going his way and I thought the suggestion was him saying that maybe he needs to react more vociferously when decisions go against us.

I can't remember exactly but it was along the lines of "I want to be a Premier League manager for a long time. I know I'm here again next year... but maybe I need to start showing off a bit more, maybe the club needs to start showing off a bit more... because outside of City & Liverpool & all of their financial investment...." & then he kind of went away from whatever point he was trying to make.

It came across a little bit desperate, as if he doesn't think he's receiving enough credit for the job he's done (which is nonsense). It was a very unusual bit of flappery from him.

I just said on another thread, he doesn't seem himself. I think he's dealing with the fact that he's made some pretty major mistakes & that it's too late to reverse them in time to recover this season.

I'm sure he'll comeback because he's a winner, but I do think he's struggling at the moment.

I can't remember exactly but it was along the lines of "I want to be a Premier League manager for a long time. I know I'm here again next year... but maybe I need to start showing off a bit more, maybe the club needs to start showing off a bit more... because outside of City & Liverpool & all of their financial investment...." & then he kind of went away from whatever point he was trying to make.

It came across a little bit desperate, as if he doesn't think he's receiving enough credit for the job he's done (which is nonsense). It was a very unusual bit of flappery from him.

I just said on another thread, he doesn't seem himself. I think he's dealing with the fact that he's made some pretty major mistakes & that it's too late to reverse them in time to recover this season.

I'm sure he'll comeback because he's a winner, but I do think he's struggling at the moment.

I’m not going to read too much into it. Think he probably just doesn’t feel himself without his trademark body warmer.

Interesting angle on the 'showing off' comments.

I took it to be that he needs to maker more of a fuss about getting screwed over, as he said it after a comment about ridiculous decisions from the ref in the Newcastle game, including Egan's red card. And I also thought that he had the previous VAR decision at Villa in his sights.

I'd say that's harsh on Norwood who I thought had a decent half hour , but , yeah , all a bit crap.

I'd say that's harsh on Norwood who I thought had a decent half hour , but , yeah , all a bit crap.

Not half.
Don't usually comment on marks as it's absolutely subjective BUT Moose gets a 3 for a positive run and Norwood a 2 despite 3 superb passes (one out left, 2 out to Baldock) in the first 7 or 8 minutes.
If this little spell has highlighted what we need to go forward then fine, if it's the new normal then we're in a bit of bother.

Back
Top Bottom