Macquarie Bank

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

My mum was always asking me where the club books were……Kay’s ,Grattons,Freemans ect,
Weirdly,they always turned up under my bed and bizarrely one or two pages may have been stuck together in the ladies underwear section.
Used to work for them, we sometimes dealt with prisoners but we had to remove certain pages from the books before sending them out

Oh dear. More made up nonsense.

Non PL income amounted to £20m in the last accounts. Total income was £63m. So if, as you say, the £20m pays the loans, who pays the wages/cost of sales, (£57m per the accounts) if the £43m PL money is taken by UW?

(Then of course there are transfer payments, interest and £20m in admin costs. Oh, and losses to fund. Clearly no accountants on Table 18. Not even anyone with a calculator it seems)
We've got loads of money rolling in. We've had free millions from the Prem every season of sole owner Abdullah. We got £118M this season for finishing bottom. You can run a horse & cart through the accounts. Pretty much like any business accounts. No one came to see me to tell me I was a liar. So they are the liars. Plus for whoever posted it my wife doesn't have a blue rinse. She wouldn't be seen dead in one !

We've got loads of money rolling in. We've had free millions from the Prem every season of sole owner Abdullah. We got £118M this season for finishing bottom. You can run a horse & cart through the accounts. Pretty much like any business accounts. No one came to see me to tell me I was a liar. So they are the liars. Plus for whoever posted it my wife doesn't have a blue rinse. She wouldn't be seen dead in one !
You, err, or your wife, said the £118m went straight to United World. And the other money paid all the bills.

Make your mind up.

New loan just dropped. Looks like we're effectively getting the rest of the Iliman money upfront (€14.5 million by the looks of it) with Marseille paying future instalments direct to Macquarie.

I'd imagine this is to make sure we can get some transfer business done without relying on tekova being completed first?

New loan just dropped. Looks like we're effectively getting the rest of the Iliman money upfront (€14.5 million by the looks of it) with Marseille paying future instalments direct to Macquarie.

I'd imagine this is to make sure we can get some transfer business done without relying on tekova being completed first?
Looks exactly that. Plus I imagine we probably need some readies to cover wages and operational costs over the summer.

That's assuming the club/Prince is massively sure a takeover is 100% on. You would think he would be wary after previous dealings

Why is it always Macquarie that's seems to provide these factoring services to football clubs? Seems quite lucrative so surprised there are not other banks competing for the business?

Why is it always Macquarie that's seems to provide these factoring services to football clubs? Seems quite lucrative so surprised there are not other banks competing for the business?
Definitely an interesting question, I guess it must be a big risk and is a niche market albeit it seems to be a popular way of doing things. They seem to have the capital to invest, have a big share in Southern Water, KCOM Fibre (of Hull) and several other random markets. I wonder if it is that they are such a niche type of company with lots of cash that they can afford the risk.

That's assuming the club/Prince is massively sure a takeover is 100% on. You would think he would be wary after previous dealings

I think it’s regardless of what’s going on re the takeover. The club have to continue day to day business, pay salaries, stadium maintenance etc and try and build a squad for next season at the same time.

Wasn’t it something to do with the fact most banks won’t get involved in football associated loans, Macquarie being one of only a very few that do, hence the high interest rates charges?

The loans by way of factoring agreement, are in all probability being underwritten and financed by a mainstream bank (your NatWests and HSBC's). They will in all likelihood have a suite of financial products with Macquarie who use these monies to offer factoring agreements with football clubs etc. To all intents, they are acting as a financial broker in a niche market. The factoring agreement is between Macquarie and the football club, and separated from that will be financial arrangements between a mainstream lender and Macquarie, so funding via third party. Macquarie will have a bank license though so that they can commercially lend. This way the mainstream banks get a cut as they are lending to a lesser risk who are regulated by FCA etc, and Macquarie get the funds they need to on-lend to the football clubs. They will make their money in the difference in the interest margins being charged (on the products with the mainstream lenders and the high interest rates on the factoring agreements) and no doubt talking a healthy fee for acting as the broker. Bibby Finance would be another example of a company / commercial lender who provides invoice and asset factoring funding to others, but who are funded themselves via a mainstream Bank.

Last edited:
Appreciate these loans are a necessity for football clubs these days, but the number of loans our club has took out over the last few years will have cost a few million in interest. £10m loan over two years at 7% equates to £440,000 in interest.

Loans were taken out last season against future guaranteed income( parachute payments). Always in debt. Even Barca and Real are in debt all the time…..

Appreciate these loans are a necessity for football clubs these days, but the number of loans our club has took out over the last few years will have cost a few million in interest. £10m loan over two years at 7% equates to £440,000 in interest.
Err no it doesn't, 7% flat on £10m is £700k per annum so on those figures that's £1.4m in total. I've not looked at the details but if it's 7% those loans must have been taken out b4 rates rocketed, I'd expect the rates to be nearer 10% now.

Their sharks operate within football. Sales people, no one else takes the risk because it’s do or bust.

The loans by way of factoring agreement, are in all probability being underwritten and financed by a mainstream bank (your NatWests and HSBC's). They will in all likelihood have a suite of financial products with Macquarie who use these monies to offer factoring agreements with football clubs etc. To all intents, they are acting as a financial broker in a niche market. The factoring agreement is between Macquarie and the football club, and separated from that will be financial arrangements between a mainstream lender and Macquarie, so funding via third party. Macquarie will have a bank license though so that they can commercially lend. This way the mainstream banks get a cut as they are lending to a lesser risk who are regulated by FCA etc, and Macquarie get the funds they need to on-lend to the football clubs. They will make their money in the difference in the interest margins being charged (on the products with the mainstream lenders and the high interest rates on the factoring agreements) and no doubt talking a healthy fee for acting as the broker. Bibby Finance would be another example of a company / commercial lender who provides invoice and asset factoring funding to others, but who are funded themselves via a mainstream Bank.
Spot on.

I had dealings of this type with a number of invoice finance companies back in the days when I was working for a bank to earn a living.

Spot on.

I had dealings of this type with a number of invoice finance companies back in the days when I was working for a bank to earn a living.
What makes you think we have invoicing finance or similar? The vast majority of our income isn’t invoiced.

They provide cash flow financing to cover shortfalls until PL/TV money arrives.

Weren’t you a bank manager? My vivid recollection was bank managers pushing factoring/invoice financing like mad. A shit option for many businesses that made fortunes for the factoring arms of the banks and did many businesses no favours.

What makes you think we have invoicing finance or similar? The vast majority of our income isn’t invoiced.

Weren’t you a bank manager? My vivid recollection was bank managers pushing factoring/invoice financing like mad. A shit option for many businesses that made fortunes for the factoring arms of the banks and did many businesses no favours.
You’re right, none of the charges on CH are for invoice financing as far as I can see. They’re mainly these ‘kicking the can down the road’ deals that we seem to love taking out plus a lease agreement for the lights we use for the turf.

I was replying to a specific point.

I used to lend to sub prime lenders that provided invoice finance/factoring services to their clients in much the same way as McQuarrie are to United.

I was replying to a specific point.

I used to lend to sub prime lenders that provided invoice finance/factoring services to their clients in much the same way as McQuarrie are to United.

So no invoice financing then.

Back
Top Bottom