Luton 0 United 0 - report/pod

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Deadbat

Reaction score
Pod out in next hour all usual places – Soundcloud, Spotify, Itunes etc – Search ‘ Tufty Club’

After spending nearly, the entirety of the 20-21 Premier League campaign rock bottom, the Blades find themselves 2nd bottom of the Championship after a disastrous 5 games to open the season. Going into the international break, Slavisa Jokanovic’s Blades now are in a fight at the wrong end of the table and seem miles off being a side that will contend for the top places. With no incomers, there is a real uncertainty in the club in terms of the direction with the current squad seeming unfit for the purpose of contending or even being competitive even at this lower level.

18 months ago United were contending for Champions League places. Now at Kenilworth Road, United were not good enough to beat Luton Town and failed to even muster a shot on goal. True, the Blades had a decent 10-15 minutes and had a good chance early on but failed to build on that and Luton finished the half the better. This theme carried on 2nd half and Luton had the better chances to win the game. United finished in better fashion but Simon Sluga had nothing to do all game and if anyone deserved to win the game it was the Hatters.

United made only one change from the side from last week with Billy Sharp in from the start replacing Rhian Brewster. There was no place for David McGoldrick on the squad but Oliver Burke was on the bench despite rumours of an imminent exit for the striker.

The Blades started well with a good chance inside 30 seconds as the old one two throw routine led to Norrington Davies sending over a cross and Baldock was well forward but got underneath it and headed over. It was a really decent opportunity with both wing backs well forward.

Adebayo went down awkwardly and had to receive treatment before continuing. United had started well and McBurnie was chopped down by Naysmith who went through the back of the striker and picked up a booking inside 5 minutes. The Blades then won a corner but Fleck could not beat the first man. Norrington Davies then sent over a dangerous cross that was just too far ahead of Egan.

The positive start continued with good work from Fleck, Davies and then Norrington Davies and the ball over caused problems before McBurnie sliced a chance wide from the edge of the box under pressure.

Luton had not really been in the game but finally got forward and Mpanzu was able to skin Basham with a piece of individual skill. This was the signal for the home side to have a spell in the game and after Davies missed his tackle, Luton were suddenly two on one in a chance that was reminiscent of the Huddersfield first goal but fortunately Mpanzu fluffed his line when well placed.

On 17 minutes, Luton created the best chance of the game, the ball came over from the right with Norrington Davies not close enough to his man and Mpanzu headed over with Basham miles off his man. He really should have scored.

Berge and Davies both went down too easily and the referee carried on the early season trend of waving play on for minimal contact. Luton were now showing a threat and down the right-hand side they were getting in good areas using their pace.

Foderingham then came a long way and it was an odd punch to knock it out of place as he climbed over the tall Adebyao but at least he got there I suppose. The keeper did well soon after to come out and did well to gather a through ball.

On 28 minutes Baldock went down. It was unclear if it was sustained in a challenge or just that he had pulled a muscle but clearly was not fit to continue. After a long wait, Bogle eventually was dressed and ready to come on. His first act saw him well forward but he overran the ball but at least got us up the pitch.

Luton via Cornick put over a long throw and as they have all season United struggled but luckily McBurnie’s flick went straight into Foderingham’s hands. Fleck’s sloppy giveaway saw Luton break but Egan made an interception.

Davies ball won a corner after a decent ball but from the delivery from Fleck, the ball ended up in the hands of Foderingham inside 10 seconds! Mpanzu ran 30 yards but was stopped by a combination of Egan and Norwood and once again the ref played on. He was consistent to both sides in how he was applying the rules.

There was 4 minutes of stoppage time after the two injuries sustained to both sides and Luton finished the stronger. Fleck again dithered with no awareness of what was around him and Luton won a corner but it came to nothing.

Half time came soon after and the promising start for United had evaporated somewhat and Luton had shaded the second half of the first half. Neither side had tested the keeper with just the one headed chance for each side in a relatively even contest.

Second half and Luton began well and dominated early on. Egan’s mistake saw him chop down Adebayo and the defender was rightly yellow carded. Luton then came again and a ball from the right saw a clear header for Campbell but he made a real mess of it but it remained in play at the far post and seemed to be turned again the post. Luton were in complete control and errors were creeping in. The home side had upped the tempo clearly after the break and playing higher up the field.

This tactic led to a chance for United on the break but Sharp was too slow and his ball was easily cut out with McBurnie looking to get in.

Both Fleck and Freeman gave it away drawing ironic cheers from the home side as United simply could not get doing after the interval. Bogle did well though to stop Onyedinma down the right-hand side.

A rare break saw Norrington Davies cross headed away as McBurnie challenged and then Bogle did well to fashion a ball into the box but Norwood had a long ranger blocked and then McBurnie then failed to deliver again after being played though. It had been better for this brief spell.

The game approached the hour mark but Luton now seemed to be in control and much of the play was in the United half but McBurnie headed over after decent work from Bogle. The home side had a flurry of chances though and maybe should have taken one. Firstly, Onyedimna was ruled offside as he pull the ball in the net and it did seem a tight call as he ran from deep.

Soon after Foderingham caught a high ball but then made an absolute howler as he took too many touches from a backpass and was closed down. It fell eventually for Cornick but his precision finish came off the angle of post and bar. It was a real let off.

Norrington Davies and Cornick then came together in a fractious moment as the Blades looked ragged. Freeman then came forward with a break but his shot was poor and Onyedimna was in on goal again on the angle but hit the side netting. Davies then failed to deal with a ball down that channel again but this time Foderingham did well to save the stabbed effort. It could easily have gone past him.

Brewster came on for the disappointing McBurnie and United had used all their subs. It seemed inevitable then they would get an injury but fortunately Foderingham seemed to shake off cramp after treatment.

Freeman did well to hold it up and then won a corner but from this delivery once again it was Luton on the attack as the long ball went forward and Luton’s pace was in evidence again. It led to a long throw but Fotheringham claimed well.

As the game entered the final 15 minutes and it seemed like one goal was enough for either side but the Blades had failed to have a single shot on target all game but a rare break saw Berge well forward but it fizzled out. Luton made a double change with Muskwe and Rea on for Campbell and Onyedimna.

United finally had a spell after rarely threatening second half and Freeman won a corner before Norrington Davies’ cross was dangerous but Berge opted to take a touch rather than hit first time. It was half cleared but Brewster did well to drive into the box but inexplicable rather than keep going fired an appalling cross that went miles out on the far side.

Norwood then gave it away as Brewster failed to react again to a ball forward and Luton broke but Bree’s shot was just wide. Once again in a poor game, the Hatters still looked the more likely to break the stalemate. United did end the game well though in terms of getting into better areas but still had not tested the keeper all game and a looped cross was easily cleared.

Egan conceded a throw and as the ball came in, the ball was booked back but the Blades defender cleared well. Brewster lost two 50-50 challenges as United could not get up the field but the home side were offside. 3 minutes of stoppage time and the only moment of note was Berge going to ground too easily again and the referee waving away the token appeals from the Blades players.

For United it was a point gained in reality as Luton had all the decent chances in a poor game. However, the Blades have scored 1 goal in 5 games and the appalling start to the season continued with few positives individually and collectively apart from a clean sheet for Foderingham and another promising game from Norrington Davies. United desperately need an influx of new blood or the season threatens to be one of struggle.

United – Another really disappointing performance against another shocking side (they will say the same rightly about us). We started well for 10 minutes and looked up for it and had a good chance and got it into some good areas but then we stopped doing these things and Luton grew into the game and had a few chances. It was a nothing sorts of half but again other than Norrington Davies not sure anyone imposed themselves at all. The midfield did not do much again and the front two were ineffective. The defence at times failed to pick up runners or men in the box. Luton were not great either. Nothing really happened. They missed the best chance with a clear header.

Second half Luton pushed up and upped the tempo and I felt for half an hour were the better side. I am not sure I agreed with the changes in formation. Freeman coming on was fine but would have been for Fleck. We ended up with a bit of a mess and they got through us a few times. They had chances with one off the post, another few into the side netting or just wide. Foderingham made a bad mistake (ok apart from that really) and they sensed if anyone was going to score it would be then but they lacked quality and composure too but if the shot goes a few inches lower or the one at the end a few inches inside the post, we would have lost. We had an ok spell towards the end but failed to get a decent shot in and even the changes did not work realty – albeit Freeman showed a few moments. Sharp tried but nothing really happened but was still better than McBurnie who I thought was awful. Brewster came on and looked miles off it again. No idea where the chance creation or goals are coming from if Sharp does not nick one?

Overall, it was not good enough. People will say we got a point and a clean sheet away from home but we created nothing outside of that one chance in 30 seconds. After this the fans may as well have gone home. Fair play to them for going, those that have done all three but for the money they have spent and the time they have used up, to go to all three away games and see nothing in terms of goalmouth action, no goals and no wins, is not good at all. He keeps tweaking players here and there and shifting the formation but nothing is working. A lot may say (I said it!) he should not have changed from 3-5-2 at half time but in reality, they were the better team for a spell so it is not as if we were the better team as the half ended. I still would have left it as we need to have a spell playing the same formation. Regardless of the formation we are having average performances throughout the side. No one is taking responsibility or trying to create. The midfield are slow and ponderous and not trying to drive or play forward passes and the attack remains motionless and do not look a threat. I suppose we at least did not concede but they had a few chances that easily could have gone in. Luton looked a really poor side (another) and still were slightly better than us. We have no spark, no oomph and nothing that excites the fans. We are stuck with the stench of losing. I am not sure we would have scored tonight if we played till midnight. It was an awful game of football bereft of any kind of quality. I do not see this team putting together a run of performances or wins especially if we never look like scoring. It is depressing and boring at the moment. Too many players just look like they are going through the motions as sad as that is.

At the end some fans as I say will say it was a clean sheet and at least we did not lose but these players are playing timid, safe football and not doing anywhere near enough to create or score goals. We continue to be boring to watch. One paced and dull. There is no creativity, no spark and the movement all over the field is non-existent. We are stagnant and slow. Defensively I suppose we did ok at times but again they still had some decent chances (Basham poor marking, Foderingham error etc) and if anyone deserved to win it was Luton on chances really.

We badly need players in and the break surely has to help us? He still had no idea of the system, shape and changed it at half time today again but we actually got worse in terms of not getting up the field. Too many are simply coasting (all 3 midfield) and even some of the players I like, Baldock, Egan and Bash. Norrington Davies only one who showed a bit of life and as ineffective as Bogle was in the week and today, at least he gets forward and had a few half chances to cross. The strikers outside of Sharp are completely ineffective. I’d have no issues if we could somehow ship out 4 or 5 but know that is unlikely but they do not move at all and we have no pace or physicality. I am in the minority but feel we need a physical target man who can get us up the pitch and hold it up. We have no outlet and even with pace our players cannot get it up the field to break through the final third. The way we are playing and set up currently is now allowing us to create anything but again too many individuals are playing safe and not carrying the ball or committing men. They just go backwards. Even the new lad Davies looks shaky too and worried he lacks the physicality we need. Not sure what he does yet? There are questions all over the side individually and collectively. No one is playing well and the system/s are not contriving to get us anything in terms of sustained pressure or chances. We had a lot more possession again but it was meaningless again.

Off the field, the recruitment and approach seem a mess. Whether it be organisational or financially driven, the failure to add to the group with the 5/6 players the manager has been demanding is inexcusable. Other clubs have signed players and every one in a higher position. We have parachute payments and even with having to move players out, surely, we can afford some loans at least? Maybe they will come in but leaving it to the last day (Monday Bank Holiday) is ridiculous planning and surely not part of the plan? We needed players in over the summer and certainly weeks ago. There is no excuse. None. We have effectively almost wasted a season I feel. Yes, Fulham and his other teams have started slowly but be amazed if he turns around this ‘losing’ group.

I would love to be more positive but I can’t. The fact at the end I was half happy not to have lost again shows how bad things have got. Others may say it might be the result that kick starts us but I do not see that. We simply look insipid. Broke. It was a draw but may as well have been a loss as weird as that sounds as we need to play entertaining, attacking football. Currently, it is safe, negative and aimless. Just hope by some miracle we sign 4 or 5 players but this surely at this stage will be desperate signings or not the players we really wanted. I was so looking forward to being back at games but now I am glad of a break and I have not even been to the away games!

His words post game suggest he is not happy and it worrying that he indicating the club are not doing what they said. He is asking for changes and they are not happening. I am glad today he saw it the same as me in terms of the lack of quality and us simply not doing enough. My concern is we will stay the course. If come Wednesday we do not sign anyone or as much as we have hoped for then what? He has already called the board liars tonight or kind of indicated so far, they have lied! So if they fail to bring players in then he might just pack up. I would not be shocked if he was gone in a month as incredible as that sounds. He has called the board to do what they said and effectively issued a cry but not with the ultimatum of what he will do if they do not but maybe it is implied? Maybe I am reading too much into his words tonight.

I said it before I expect Heckingbottom to be manager as we finish the season or at some point and remain convinced that will happen. What is the point of getting Jokanovic in and promising things and then not delivering? That may aswell have put Heckingbottom in charge, had a proper clear out and just played the kids even if we do down again. It’s like we have put up a white flag to trying to get back to the Premier League. The best chance was this season. The longer you stay out the harder it gets but our board do not seem to see this at all?

Ratings:

Foderingham 6/10 – Had little to do first half. One header went over and then he punched one out for a corner which was less than convincing. Took a through ball and was ok under little pressure. Fine with his kicking with both feet first half. He then took a high cross but soon after made an absolute mess of a back pass and almost handed them a goal on a player. To be fair this was the only big mistake he made but was a howler. He did recover and make a good save on the angle and shook off cramp! A keeper who gets cramp! Really? He was far from the issue today but as I say his error could have cost us. We need a keeper but we need lots of players!

Baldock 4/10 – Missed a really good chance with a header when at least he was well forward but needs to do better. Was well forward early on but then Luton pushed us back and he gave his man too much room. They came down this side a fair bit and got in between him and Bash. Then pulled up lame and Bogle came on. Looked a muscle injury so you guess he might be out a few weeks but the international break helps us/him in any recovery of course.

Norrington Davies 6/10 – Our best player first half – well forward and positive in everything he did with some good early balls. Like way he always wants to put it forward rather than back and two or three good balls like the one for Baldock’s header. One of few who seemed to want the ball. Defensively he was off his man a few times as crosses came in. Thought he was a 7 or 7.5 first half but then 2nd half was nowhere near as good. They got in down his side a few times and he kicked it out a lot. One good cross to Berge apart not sure he carried on his decent first half and got dragged down to the level of others really.

Davies 4/10 – Think he looks very weak worryingly and twice just lost the tackle/challenge. He did not really make it or show he wanted it enough. Ok on the ball a few times but just kicked it to no one a few times too. He lacks the physicality I feel we need at the back even though a decent ball player. I worry he is not quite what we need when we are conceding too many soft goals. The second half twice he was too slow to react and the lad nearly got in when Foderingham made the save on the angle. Made one good block. Looks an ok footballer but against long throws/physical stuff that most teams use at this level, think he might not be quite what we need personally albeit limited evidence.

Basham 3.5/10 – Thought he struggled first half with the pace and power as they got down his side. Gave it away a few times and they did put him under pressure. Just not looked convincing so far this season and offered little attacking wise. Still surprised he went off and we changed formation as I thought Fleck may have been the one to go.

Egan 5/10 – First half ok I suppose. Steady and did what he had to but once again too many balls came in and they won too many clear headers. Not sure he is dominating like we need in that area. He was steady enough though ands they did not have too many chances. Terrible mistake second half when he lost it and Adebayo ran at him and he fetched him down and was rightly booked. He did make a few interceptions, one near the end but overall, again teams had too many clear chances down the middle. At some point he has to shut this area down but teams do get through us quite easily.

Norwood 4/10 – Safe and passive but he did some ok things. Early on was higher up and helped us set a good tempo but as the game went on, he became less involved and they started to run at us and we had no defensive protection. We became less and less of a threat in their half and felt we got pushed back. 2nd half barely noticed any of our midfield. He did one or two forward passes but they were intercepted. Thought he was poor again but so were all the midfield and he might have been the least bad of the three. Says it all.

Fleck 2.5/10 – Another really poor game. He started ok and linked down the left with Norrington Davies and Davies a few times. Actually, passed through the centre a few times and looked ok but regressed as the game went on. Then gave it away several times or got run past. Twice in quick succession he just gave it straight to them and just jogged back. Looked completely uninterested or unfit. Maybe both. Theme carried on 2nd half. I am not sure I saw him at all and when he had it, he just gave it square or gave it away. Never carried it or tried to drive or make forward passes or runs. Freeman was not great but did more than the other midfielders in the time he was on just in a few brief moments. Needs to come out of the team and have to earn his place back but with limited options unsure what we do unless we get someone in? Rather Osborn play and he lacks quality but will at least get involved and not hide.

Berge 4/10 – Largely anonymous again. Saw a couple of runs first half but normally just fell over weakly and looked for the free kick. Just seemed to be ambling around to me and never stamped his mark on the game at all. This carried on and even the few times he did ok and got into the opposition box he normally failed to produce anything of note and it petered out. One great chance to drive in but played it off and another he took a touch when he should have shot. Annoying that he is always looking for fouls and is pitifully weak at times for a big man. Know he does get fouled a bit but also always looking for free kicks instead of staying on his feet too – the pathetic penalty appeal at the end. He is not really offering much at all – did ok last week and our best player but still no end product. I would be hoping we can move him on and recoup our free but if we do not invest it then that seems pointless too? Maybe if he does not move, he might start looking more interested?

McBurnie 3/10 – Both strikers were completely ineffective. Some fans keep telling me he will score goals at this level but he is offering nothing other than winning a few headers defensively and the odd flick in. In general, play his contribution is putrid. He does not get in front of his man and rarely offers a physical threat. His control is poor and he is slow we have no out ball. He won a free kick early and that was as good as it got. A shanked finish wide and a weak looped header. Never in the game. Yes, the service was poor but he still has to do more and at least be a nuisance. Him and Brewster seem to be getting worse week by week. Seriously.

Sharp 3/10 – He tried hard and maybe for that he deserves a bit more credit than McBurnie as at least the odd ball stuck up to him early on but again he is too slow and immobile to cause a threat. He ended up looking for non existent free kicks and the game just went by without him being in it at all. Had one chance to break but took too long to find McBurnie. I forgot he was even playing 2nd half but could say the same about most of the team as Luton were the aggressors till the final few minutes.

Subs –

Bogle 4/10 – Got almost an hour today after Baldock went down injured but not sure he really did much at all. Attacking wise his touch and choices were poor. He does get into decent areas but again never any end product which sometimes he can produce more than Baldock. Defensively he was caught napping a few times down that side 2nd half. Also his back pass was poor to Foderingham. One ok cross to McBurnie but looked wretched the rest of the time taking too long to do things. He may get a run of games but another that seems to be going backwards as a young player we bought with potential - a good run either side of Xmas but faded after Xmas and been poor in the games he has played this season. His pal Lowe has moved on and he needs to get his finger our or may got he same way in January. I thought he might be our right back/wing back of the future in this position but looks another dud to me.

Freeman 6/10 – He at least tried to run forward and actually for a run and weak shot, winning a corner and trying to play a few forward passes he may have been our best player 2nd half! I say best as he was just a bit better than all the rest but he was not great so the narrative of him having to play is let us be honest, based on all the rest being garbage rather than him offering something great. He does a few ok things in the opposition half but does not track back and is lazy/undisciplined. Long term he is not the answer at all and will depart the club at the end of this season when his contract is up you would think. It just shows how bad the rest are if people are crying out for him with the mantra being ‘he cannot do any worse’ rather than ‘he is good and will improve us.’

Brewster – Deary me. Looks like a fan that has won a bet to play. He made one good run where he ran forward and you thought ‘Go on!’ and then hit the worst cross I have seen since ahem….Burke last season! After this he lost it or failed to hold the ball up and looked slow and weak. They had a few attacks from his weak attempts to get to it. He looked as bad as McBurnie. To think everyone was pinning our hopes on him and McBurnie to fire the goals. At the moment neither can even do the basis on a football team and I would seriously be looking to recoup anything we can for either. All the focus is on midfield but the strikers are awful at the moment even with the lack of service argument. Other than Sharp now and again and he lacks stamina/fitness/pace to do it other than maybe off the bench, none of the move or cause defenders’ problems. Games are easy for centre halves against our lads. This lad looks awful though and it really would be in everyones best interests if we get him out either on loan or if we somehow got half our money back (unlikely). He is completely shot of confidence and form. If we had not paid 23 million for him and he was a kid coming in (yes he is a kid) people would be nervously laughing how bad he is!

Jokanovic 3/10 – Mark is harsh considering what he is working with but has to take some blame too. A point and a clean sheet. That is it. We did well for 10 minutes and maybe a late flourish but had no shots, no chances and no goals. Again. In 5 games we might have had about 3 chances that were clear in all the games. A McGoldrick header at Swansea, Sharp’s goal and then maybe Baldock today. We look toothless and our midfield are timid and do not try to pass forward. The whole team looks terrified. He alluded to us trying to enjoy the game and relaxing but these players nearly to the man seem unable to do this. He has to be able to bring players in. I do think he may need to stick with a formation for a period of games. We were not great first half but the change 2nd half made us even worse really in terms of ball retention in the areas that count and they looked more likely. I am not sure he knows to do with this group. We might fluke the odd win or point but on current trajectory of performance and results without a massive change in how these players are performing individually we are going to be much nearer the bottom than the top without several changes of first teamers and/or massive improvements in those playing – improvements we have not seen in 18 months. Be interested to see what he says if/when we do not bring the players in, he wants. Does he really make his frustrations clear as he has started to do or will he tow the company line and say he will just get on with what he has. I worry he will do this (just limp on) and we might not go down but then after a season he will just walk away (how long does he have to manage back in the UK to qualify for an extended work permit but surely he could just go and managed abroad again – depends how much he wants any pay off as if he walked then he would not get much at all?). However post match we saw the first sign that he is really annoyed and frustrated. It is clear he did not realise how broken this squad and team is and now the board cannot make the changes – not having the funds/expertise to initiate the shake up we need. Be an interesting few days but not holding my breath anything dramatic/positive will happen. Surely the ownership or the board have to come out and say something whatever happens now? What is the plan – why have we not carried out the managers wishes? Why have we promised him something we are not delivering?

Luton – Manager Jones has done well in two spells. The result last week seemed to be an anomaly really and they are well drilled and hard to beat side. They have added well in the summer and I expected them to be around mid-table. I worried seeing the result last week as felt they would react better than we did but they started slowly but we could not capitalise. Slowly they broke out and the pace down the sides, allied to the normal ‘Championship’ long throw threat we see every week and they had the better of the chances. Second half they hit the post/bar and had a few go just wide. Only one save was made all game and it was Foderingham. They coped with us easily the other way and even though we had a spell at the end nothing happened of note really. They will feel the more disappointed of the two to win the game.

He is a decent manager and I expect even though they were poor, that with a few players back (they had more missing than us) they will be at least half way. They have a way of playing, like many at this level and it is effective. It is quite direct and they rely on pace and aerial threat but for all that a lot of the good play forward wise in terms of running at men etc, came from them. As Jones said, all the possession we had was in front of them and they had all the chances really.

Opponent Man of the Match – Not sure anyone was fantastic. The defence coped with our slow and weak forward line easily and the keeper barely had a touch. The lad Mpanzu was good running with the ball and Onyedimna was a threat behind. Lacked quality to hurt us but the lad Cornell maybe was the main threat with his long throws and delivery into the box and nearly won the game with his shot.

Opponent Weak link – Naismith got booked early and not really a centre half. He has played full back a lot for other teams but we did not take advantage. He lacks pace and height but after being booked we put him under no pressure at all.

Referee/Officials – Andy Davies. Really good. Been critical of refs this season but he let things flow and allowed physical stuff both ways. Both bookings were regulation for Naismith and Egan for chopping men down. He might have been the best player on the field today. Terrible game with a slow pace and nothing happening so quite easy to officiate but he did it well.

Just posted my thoughts/ratings on the match thread but remarkably similar.
We desperately need PA to finance an overhaul, and quickly, otherwise this season is already down the shitter.

Can’t help but think it’s time to throw Freeman, N’diaye, Brunt and Gordon into the mix now, especially if we don’t/can’t/won’t bring good players in.

It's not just about finances. There's no one left at the club who actually knows how to manage a football club. It's a complete mess from top to bottom

Our one successful tactic so far is to bring Sharp on as a sub.

On merit, he should be starting, but strategically, we need to bring him on later and hope the other incompetents haven't lost the game before he's introduced. Starting him does nobody any favours.

I agree but if he does not play we never look like scoring at all. When he does we might. If you just bring him on you are just saying we wont score for 60-70 minutes which we don't anyway I suppose!

"In 5 games we might have had about 3 chances that were clear in all the games. A McGoldrick header at Swansea, Sharp’s goal and then maybe Baldock today."

Don't forget Didzy's sitter at West Brom!

It’s quite apparent that the Prince is hoping to do a Delia. In terms of football club ownership she and her husband who own Norwich are probably not affluent enough so try to make the club stand on its own two feet. Admirable when so many clubs are poorly run.

It’s starting to feel as if we are more the Norwich which was shaking off big contracts to the likes of Naismith and having to sell Maddison, than the one which went up first time ahead of us.

In these situations it just reenforces how bad Wilder’s Premier League recruitment was.

Not only had we spent around 110m, it’s on players that apparently nobody even wants.

The problem is that newly flush with cash, we overpaid for players to take them from their clubs and now the only clubs that could afford them and their wages are Premier League clubs and they are put off by how totally ineffectual they were.

I wish we’d been frugal like Norwich. We laughed at their lack of transfer spend and their relegation. But we could have had top notch facilities now. I blame Wilder for this. His legacy is 23m on Brewster. As Simon Jordon says, he is a typical football manager. He spent all his dosh and then had the temerity to complain about not having a left centre back or improved training facilities when all the money had gone!

In hindsight we should have said Chris, even if it means going down, we are building a lasting legacy with this money, state of the art training facilities etc.

This is the issue. He spent all the cash on players that nobody wants.

The board would have told Slav we’ll probably sell Rammers and Berge, quite possibly for around 50-60m combined. Focus will be on loans but anything over 40m is yours to play with.

And understandably the Prince is now stuck. He has a manager expecting 10-20m in funds but they haven’t been forthcoming.

So the right thing to do now is to overshoot the budget with the manager to get the team playing with the agreement players could go in January. I don’t see any other option.

Or so many players with this losing mentality will just sleepwalk up back to League One.

Thanks DB, hard to disagree. Fleck’s regression during the game was disappointing. First 10-15 minutes were really encouraging from him. He did a lot less after that, which may account for RND being far less effective in the 2nd half.

Subs –

Bogle 4/10 – Got almost an hour today after Baldock went down injured but not sure he really did much at all. Attacking wise his touch and choices were poor. He does get into decent areas but again never any end product which sometimes he can produce more than Baldock. Defensively he was caught napping a few times down that side 2nd half. Also his back pass was poor to Foderingham. One ok cross to McBurnie but looked wretched the rest of the time taking too long to do things. He may get a run of games but another that seems to be going backwards as a young player we bought with potential - a good run either side of Xmas but faded after Xmas and been poor in the games he has played this season. His pal Lowe has moved on and he needs to get his finger our or may got he same way in January. I thought he might be our right back/wing back of the future in this position but looks another dud to me.

Freeman 6/10 – He at least tried to run forward and actually for a run and weak shot, winning a corner and trying to play a few forward passes he may have been our best player 2nd half! I say best as he was just a bit better than all the rest but he was not great so the narrative of him having to play is let us be honest, based on all the rest being garbage rather than him offering something great. He does a few ok things in the opposition half but does not track back and is lazy/undisciplined. Long term he is not the answer at all and will depart the club at the end of this season when his contract is up you would think. It just shows how bad the rest are if people are crying out for him with the mantra being ‘he cannot do any worse’ rather than ‘he is good and will improve us.’

Brewster – Deary me. Looks like a fan that has won a bet to play. He made one good run where he ran forward and you thought ‘Go on!’ and then hit the worst cross I have seen since ahem….Burke last season! After this he lost it or failed to hold the ball up and looked slow and weak. They had a few attacks from his weak attempts to get to it. He looked as bad as McBurnie. To think everyone was pinning our hopes on him and McBurnie to fire the goals. At the moment neither can even do the basis on a football team and I would seriously be looking to recoup anything we can for either. All the focus is on midfield but the strikers are awful at the moment even with the lack of service argument. Other than Sharp now and again and he lacks stamina/fitness/pace to do it other than maybe off the bench, none of the move or cause defenders’ problems. Games are easy for centre halves against our lads. This lad looks awful though and it really would be in everyones best interests if we get him out either on loan or if we somehow got half our money back (unlikely). He is completely shot of confidence and form. If we had not paid 23 million for him and he was a kid coming in (yes he is a kid) people would be nervously laughing how bad he is!

Jokanovic 3/10 – Mark is harsh considering what he is working with but has to take some blame too. A point and a clean sheet. That is it. We did well for 10 minutes and maybe a late flourish but had no shots, no chances and no goals. Again. In 5 games we might have had about 3 chances that were clear in all the games. A McGoldrick header at Swansea, Sharp’s goal and then maybe Baldock today. We look toothless and our midfield are timid and do not try to pass forward. The whole team looks terrified. He alluded to us trying to enjoy the game and relaxing but these players nearly to the man seem unable to do this. He has to be able to bring players in. I do think he may need to stick with a formation for a period of games. We were not great first half but the change 2nd half made us even worse really in terms of ball retention in the areas that count and they looked more likely. I am not sure he knows to do with this group. We might fluke the odd win or point but on current trajectory of performance and results without a massive change in how these players are performing individually we are going to be much nearer the bottom than the top without several changes of first teamers and/or massive improvements in those playing – improvements we have not seen in 18 months. Be interested to see what he says if/when we do not bring the players in, he wants. Does he really make his frustrations clear as he has started to do or will he tow the company line and say he will just get on with what he has. I worry he will do this (just limp on) and we might not go down but then after a season he will just walk away (how long does he have to manage back in the UK to qualify for an extended work permit but surely he could just go and managed abroad again – depends how much he wants any pay off as if he walked then he would not get much at all?). However post match we saw the first sign that he is really annoyed and frustrated. It is clear he did not realise how broken this squad and team is and now the board cannot make the changes – not having the funds/expertise to initiate the shake up we need. Be an interesting few days but not holding my breath anything dramatic/positive will happen. Surely the ownership or the board have to come out and say something whatever happens now? What is the plan – why have we not carried out the managers wishes? Why have we promised him something we are not delivering?

Luton – Manager Jones has done well in two spells. The result last week seemed to be an anomaly really and they are well drilled and hard to beat side. They have added well in the summer and I expected them to be around mid-table. I worried seeing the result last week as felt they would react better than we did but they started slowly but we could not capitalise. Slowly they broke out and the pace down the sides, allied to the normal ‘Championship’ long throw threat we see every week and they had the better of the chances. Second half they hit the post/bar and had a few go just wide. Only one save was made all game and it was Foderingham. They coped with us easily the other way and even though we had a spell at the end nothing happened of note really. They will feel the more disappointed of the two to win the game.

He is a decent manager and I expect even though they were poor, that with a few players back (they had more missing than us) they will be at least half way. They have a way of playing, like many at this level and it is effective. It is quite direct and they rely on pace and aerial threat but for all that a lot of the good play forward wise in terms of running at men etc, came from them. As Jones said, all the possession we had was in front of them and they had all the chances really.

Opponent Man of the Match – Not sure anyone was fantastic. The defence coped with our slow and weak forward line easily and the keeper barely had a touch. The lad Mpanzu was good running with the ball and Onyedimna was a threat behind. Lacked quality to hurt us but the lad Cornell maybe was the main threat with his long throws and delivery into the box and nearly won the game with his shot.

Opponent Weak link – Naismith got booked early and not really a centre half. He has played full back a lot for other teams but we did not take advantage. He lacks pace and height but after being booked we put him under no pressure at all.

Referee/Officials – Andy Davies. Really good. Been critical of refs this season but he let things flow and allowed physical stuff both ways. Both bookings were regulation for Naismith and Egan for chopping men down. He might have been the best player on the field today. Terrible game with a slow pace and nothing happening so quite easy to officiate but he did it well.
As always an accurate assessment of our current malaise. I agreed with you last week it would get worse before it gets better and so it continues. We've had 2 games now with the failed flat midfield three. 71% and 68% possession and we created sod all. Even low level championship teams have worked out 3-5-2.

Those suggesting we would be better off with Heckingbottom forget the sheer dross we witnessed under him playing the same turgid system. 3 wins out of 11, 8 losses, only 4 goals scored and 20 conceded. The simple fact is Pep wouldn't get a tune out of this lot.

This group of players are broken and with a few exceptions are no longer fit to wear the shirt. The system may not be working but there is no excuse for the visible lack of effort and desire.

Sadly I have to concede what I hoped would be a new dawn off the field under the Prince is starting to evaporate at the first signs of adversity as it did with Chris Wilder. We are in free fall heading for League 1 and the continuing inaction by those in power confirms my suspicion that the Board lack the footballing ability to put matters right.

The same ineffective CEO, Head of Football Administration, Head of Recruitment and Commercial Manager are still in place. Do any of these have any decision making powers and subsequent accountability? or have we regressed back to the McCabe days of one ultimate authority ruling from a distance.

Since the Acting Chairman was appointed there has been complete radio silence yet the same mistakes are being repeated where the manager is being forced to publicly call out the Board over broken promises.

SJ's only been in post 8 weeks and the wheels have already come off!! He has no-one on the Board with a football pedigree who can see what he and all of us see is that a major overhaul is needed of not only players but also the recruitment process and off field management. A Director of Football full time based in Sheffield would provide part of the solution. The problem is PA is now wedded to a failing hybrid United World structure where directors are jacks of all trades and masters of none. It is not surprising the same mistakes are being replicated at Beerschot.

Where do we go from here? In a downward trajectory IMO if PA continues with the same approach. SJ has called PA's bluff. Is he going to act and support his manager in the next few days or will he hide behind the deluded belief espoused by his CEO Bettis that SUFC have a unique way of playing 3-5-2 and that will solve all the problems? We'll have the answers at 11 p.m on Tuesday.

Deadbat had to smile about your comments on the ref, I was in the home end and their fans were apoplectic about him! I agree I thought he did well :)

As for the game I thought we were as boring as ever to watch. We need a manager that's going to take it by the scruff of the neck, get a new spine in (goalkeeper, ch, cm and forward) and give the rest of um a rocket. I personally don't think Slav is the man to do that.

Still don't think the players in that squad are that bad, they seem to be in coasting mode, and are in desperate need of a good kick up the backside.

As always an accurate assessment of our current malaise. I agreed with you last week it would get worse before it gets better and so it continues. We've had 2 games now with the failed flat midfield three. 71% and 68% possession and we created sod all. Even low level championship teams have worked out 3-5-2.

Those suggesting we would be better off with Heckingbottom forget the sheer dross we witnessed under him playing the same turgid system. 3 wins out of 11, 8 losses, only 4 goals scored and 20 conceded. The simple fact is Pep wouldn't get a tune out of this lot.

This group of players are broken and with a few exceptions are no longer fit to wear the shirt. The system may not be working but there is no excuse for the visible lack of effort and desire.

Sadly I have to concede what I hoped would be a new dawn off the field under the Prince is starting to evaporate at the first signs of adversity as it did with Chris Wilder. We are in free fall heading for League 1 and the continuing inaction by those in power confirms my suspicion that the Board lack the footballing ability to put matters right.

The same ineffective CEO, Head of Football Administration, Head of Recruitment and Commercial Manager are still in place. Do any of these have any decision making powers and subsequent accountability? or have we regressed back to the McCabe days of one ultimate authority ruling from a distance.

Since the Acting Chairman was appointed there has been complete radio silence yet the same mistakes are being repeated where the manager is being forced to publicly call out the Board over broken promises.

SJ's only been in post 8 weeks and the wheels have already come off!! He has no-one on the Board with a football pedigree who can see what he and all of us see is that a major overhaul is needed of not only players but also the recruitment process and off field management. A Director of Football full time based in Sheffield would provide part of the solution. The problem is PA is now wedded to a failing hybrid United World structure where directors are jacks of all trades and masters of none. It is not surprising the same mistakes are being replicated at Beerschot.

Where do we go from here? In a downward trajectory IMO if PA continues with the same approach. SJ has called PA's bluff. Is he going to act and support his manager in the next few days or will he hide behind the deluded belief espoused by his CEO Bettis that SUFC have a unique way of playing 3-5-2 and that will solve all the problems? We'll have the answers at 11 p.m on Tuesday.
Great post. Summed it all up more eloquently than me and with less words.

Back
Top Bottom