Loan Window

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

RealMcCoy

Reaction score
So if Mr Clough agrees a loan deal today, for a 93 day period (was that the number of days he mentioned?), then the player would still be with us and able to play the fixture on Sunday 28th December i.e see us to the end of the Christmas "busy period".
Have I got my maths right? Anyone expecting deals go be announced today?

No one lined up ?
Getting really fucking sick of this shit

They have had weeks to get those deals into place following the end of the Transfer Window, it should be a formality if they have targets in mind, to get the deal done today. I wish they would say nothing at all and surprise us, rather than come out with ifs, buts and maybes.

No criticism of NC, i think he is great for the club, but it is years of McCabe spin that makes me cynical, and to think Bertie Blade used to label me a clapper!

Listening to all you knockers is getting a little tiresome. For pitty's sake sheffield united is a business not a toy. But it's not like a regular business. Going out and getting a new member of staff for a regular business is relatively straight forward as there are no agents involved. For a football team to get a new member of staff requires jumping through all sorts of hoops and juggling many, many balls. It just isn't straightforward.

Stringy, While I do agree with the general tenor of your last contribution I would pull you up on a couple of statements. The first "sheffield united is a business not a toy", OK but if a business is a means of making money for its owner, well.......

and then "getting a new member of staff for a regular business is relatively straight forward as there are no agents involved" well you could have fuelled me, I'm afraid a lot of jobs are 'agency' jobs now (actually because it makes hiring and firing easier) and wadja know, the agent just skims a percentage (sometimes large) of the top, c'est la vie.

Listening to all you knockers is getting a little tiresome. For pitty's sake sheffield united is a business not a toy. But it's not like a regular business. Going out and getting a new member of staff for a regular business is relatively straight forward as there are no agents involved. For a football team to get a new member of staff requires jumping through all sorts of hoops and juggling many, many balls. It just isn't straightforward.

And yet every other club seems to manage this with no hassle. We are the exception, not the rule. Hence, why we're in League 1 for the 4th season in a row!

And yet every other club seems to manage this with no hassle. We are the exception, not the rule. Hence, why we're in League 1 for the 4th season in a row!

blader, can you confirm that you've a direct line to the other 91 league clubs to verify the above statement? I'd just like to know that what you've said is accurate.

While it makes sense and I understand the reason not to bring any players in until today so we have them until the JTW, we have had a few weeks since deadline day or before that to get some deals in place and all done and dusted bar the signature, not us though everything we do is a reaction rather than an action hence we miss our #1 targets.

I can confirm with 100% accuracy that this is our 4th consecutive season in league 1, yes.[/Q

Ah, so by partially answering my question you've confirmed that your statement is in fact a fiction as you've clearly stated that every other club in the football league has the same problems that SUFC has when it comes to arranging loans. Now that you've made such an ill-conceived comment it adds weight to the belief that other comments you've made, or will make, are equally fictitious.

By suggesting that your own fantasies are actually fact you've revealed yourself as someone whose 'statements of fact' cannot be relied upon. This will come back to haunt you, you silly man.

Ah, so by partially answering my question you've confirmed that your statement is in fact a fiction as you've clearly stated that every other club in the football league has the same problems that SUFC has when it comes to arranging loans. Now that you've made such an ill-conceived comment it adds weight to the belief that other comments you've made, or will make, are equally fictitious.

By suggesting that your own fantasies are actually fact you've revealed yourself as someone whose 'statements of fact' cannot be relied upon. This will come back to haunt you, you silly man.

So you're saying we are as good as everyone else in the transfer/loan markets? If that were the case, we wouldn't be in league 1 for 4 consecutive seasons and that is my point. Brentford took Alan Judge, Wednesdy took Antonio and Marshall, anyone we seem to have competition with always gets the player. Why is this? I don't know, but it's a common trend and one I am frankly pissed off with. I think you should as well. This also applies with permanents.

How Can the original poster talk about the 'hassle' of signing players as if it's unique to our club? We have the same hoops to jump through as everyone else it's just we are less willing to do it. It's stubbornness, and whatever else you want to call it, but we've been in league 1 for FOUR FECKING YEARS! Surely that's enough evidence that we aren't doing it right? And do you accept that other clubs have the same hoops to jump through and manage it with more success?

Brainwashed !
Ive always defended the cub up to this season but i think something doesnt quite add up right to me .the more people make excuses the longer it will go on

I think that the suggestion is that the League pyramid is a reflection of which clubs are better at doing football business.
It is usually the same well ordered clubs with sometimes a few interlopers.....

It seems to me that we are not particularly good in our transfer & scouting department and that some other clubs are more effectively and better organised - hopefully Mr. Brannigan and Simon Clough will prove me wrong in this loan window but the early signs are not promising - again we appear ill-prepared. NC alluded to disappointment with the performance of the club during the summer transfer window in this area too (in the interview after Swindon). There is no doubt in my mind that this is something we can and have to improve in.

I don't, however, think the problem is unique to us. I spent a total of 12 minutes looking on other fan sites. Even Bristol City fans were critical of the fee they got from the sale of SW, and many would have preferred the club to have signed the guy we are reportedly after from Blackpool instead of Agard but results in the league have softened the reaction - 3 other examples (all different clubs in Div 1)

"! Hope we can lure some decent talent to +++++ this summer. It seemed like it wasn't just our status as a small, League One club which cost us last season, with players such as ~~~~ (a revelation at the ~~~~~) were lost for apparently trivial reasons on the scale of things. Hopefully lessons have been learned though and we can be more successful in attracting the players we want, regardless of which division we're in!"

"With the exception of ~~~~~ who I think has been decent, I have seen nothing from ANY of the summer signings to suggest that they are any better than what we have."

"Why can't we get any of these players in? if we are going to be ambitious and have a bit of money next year these are the players we need to look at."

The clubs are Peterborough, Orient and MK Dons.

Whilst results do tend to influence the assessment of the transfer performance to a degree, this does suggest that the majority of our most likely competitors are not as prepared as some might think so the opportunity is there - if the club sorts out the scouting/transfer departments and the investment is there we CAN do very well in the transfer market.

Whether we will is debatable.

Last edited:
So you're saying we are as good as everyone else in the transfer/loan markets? If that were the case, we wouldn't be in league 1 for 4 consecutive seasons and that is my point. Brentford took Alan Judge, Wednesdy took Antonio and Marshall, anyone we seem to have competition with always gets the player. Why is this? I don't know, but it's a common trend and one I am frankly pissed off with. I think you should as well. This also applies with permanents.

How Can the original poster talk about the 'hassle' of signing players as if it's unique to our club? We have the same hoops to jump through as everyone else it's just we are less willing to do it. It's stubbornness, and whatever else you want to call it, but we've been in league 1 for FOUR FECKING YEARS! Surely that's enough evidence that we aren't doing it right? And do you accept that other clubs have the same hoops to jump through and manage it with more success?

Let's see if we can deal with the fact surrounding your original post. You made a categorical statement that every other club in the football league manages to compete for loans, transfers, better than we do. That suggests that you have an 'in' with these clubs, or was it, as I mentioned, just a hollow, sensationalist, comment meant to create effect? It's easy to create a headline, The Sun has been doing it for years, much of which is meaningless and attention grabbing.

As for the pursuit of Alan Judge, context helps, so again, making half-baked statements about SUFC always being second best is a poor and shoddy attempt at denigrating the club. Let me refresh your memory over this, Judge eventually signed for Brentford because they were clearly in pole position to get promotion, while we were at the other end of the table. As Clough mentioned at the time, if we'd been in a better position it would have helped our chances to sign Judge. You can't blame the player, at the time those were the circumstances and his choice of club was proved correct as Brentford went on to secure promotion.

Yes, I'd kind of accepted that we've been in this division for far too long, so we're in agreement over this. When bold, damning statements are made, it helps if, rather than just shrugging your shoulders and asking rhetorical questions, you added the meat and flesh to what actually happened. That way it shows that you have a degree of impartiality and that being a moaner who offers 'facts' that conveniently miss out the full story isn't a title you get lumbered with.

It seems to me that we are not particularly good in our transfer & scouting department and that some other clubs are more effectively and better organised - hopefully Mr. Brannigan and Simon Clough will prove me wrong in this loan window but the early signs are not promising - again we appear ill-prepared. NC alluded to disappointment with the performance of the club during the summer transfer window in this area too (in the interview after Swindon). There is no doubt in my mind that this is something we can and have to improve in.

I don't, however, think the problem is unique to us. I spent a total of 12 minutes looking on other fan sites. Even Bristol City fans were critical of the fee they got from the sale of SW, and many would have preferred the club to have signed the guy we are reportedly after from Blackpool instead of Agard but results in the league have softened the reaction - 3 other examples (all different clubs in Div 1)

"! Hope we can lure some decent talent to +++++ this summer. It seemed like it wasn't just our status as a small, League One club which cost us last season, with players such as ~~~~ (a revelation at the ~~~~~) were lost for apparently trivial reasons on the scale of things. Hopefully lessons have been learned though and we can be more successful in attracting the players we want, regardless of which division we're in!"

"With the exception of ~~~~~ who I think has been decent, I have seen nothing from ANY of the summer signings to suggest that they are any better than what we have."

"Why can't we get any of these players in? if we are going to be ambitious and have a bit of money next year these are the players we need to look at."

The clubs are Peterborough, Orient and MK Dons.

Whilst results do tend to influence the assessment of the transfer performance to a degree, this does suggest that the majority of our most likely competitors are not as prepared as some might think so the opportunity is there - if the club sorts out the scouting/transfer departments and the investment is there we CAN do very well in the transfer market.

Whether we will is debatable.

It's a good post and an interesting read. However, the problem is the clubs (peterborough, orient, MK Dons). We shouldn't be comparing ourselves to these clubs, I think it's fair to say they're at their equilibrium position in football league, whereas we arent. I wouldn't be complaining if we were stagnating in the Championship (as we did for many years) but having to draw parallels with these clubs is just depressing

What's the point of getting anyone in on loan, most of you lot will give one or two games then say he's shit anyway.
I understand why you put this mate but it all depends if he is any good in those first couple of games or not,just like Brayford was,then some of the people that do slate players too early,simply can't.This obviously all depends on what player(s) the club bring in,it's all down to them and i'm not holding my breath.

Back
Top Bottom