Learning points from today

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

You saw against Palace why we need McGoldrick, or a forward that will drop back, in our system – it’s pretty essential to the way we play, and even more important when we go with the flat 3. Our winner against Palace comes about from getting back on the left and helping work the overload. It’s possible Robinson might do that with McBurnie, but one of the two needs to be that kind of forward that in the absence of a 10 will buzz around the spaces between midfield and striker.
Against Palace DM spent most if the 1st half giving the ball away. Him and Robinsom play deep which means their is no pressure on the opposition defence. It is either one of DM or CR for me but not both. McBurnie should start and I would play CR in view of his pace .

Be interesting to see how Mousett plays on Tuesday thou to see how he could fit in the team

Not seen the highlights yet, but for me, we played well in an exciting game. Hate losing, but we are not going to win every single game in this league, we all know that.

Not seen the highlights yet, but for me, we played well in an exciting game. Hate losing, but we are not going to win every single game in this league, we all know that.
I think we competed well especially after Shap and McBurnie came on but we lacked quality in midfield. Norwood's passing was poor at times and the game showed Lundstram's limitations.

I think we competed well especially after Shap and McBurnie came on but we lacked quality in midfield. Norwood's passing was poor at times and the game showed Lundstram's limitations.

I agree that Sharp and McBurnie changed the whole game when they came on.

I think (as always) a lot of things depend on where you are sitting, I thought Lundstram made some great passes and tackles. If his body had been over the ball, his volley would have been as spectacular as the Barnes goal.

I thought Enda had a poor game at times, often not anticipating and letting the ball run out. Again, that could just have been from where I was sitting, maybe the pass to him wasn't great?

Re Lundstram... I noticed he notched up another scalp In the crunching tackle stakes when he crunched Maddison, Grealish style... Look out Mason Mount.

We will learn from this, hate losing but maybe a blessing in disguise, McBurnie quality and a great character.

;)

Seriously, we need to move forward much icier, we’re no playing championship or even L1 clubs (our build up hasn’t increased in speed at times from L1).
Also we need attacks running at the centre of their last 1/3 we don’t have to take every ball into the corners cause out crossing is at times lamentable.

Why would anyone start with Mcgoldrick after the last 3 games. Forget about last season. We need to progress and he has been poor so far ( running around a lot doesn't mean he has played well).
He hasn't been poor
If you base your opinions on missed chances you should spend more time around spotty teenagers playing FIFA and listening to Andy Goldstein on talksport

I think the word "learning" in your title is very apt for today.

We've competed well against a top 10, Premiership side . An uncharacteristic bit of sloppiness from Bash gets punished, we don't accept a golden opportunity (Lundstram volley) and an exquisite finish are the crucial moments that separated both sides.

If there was even a hint of complacency after an encouraging start, Leicester just gave us a lesson in how unforgiving this level of football can be.

We can't be too disappointed, Leicester are a good side - Vardy put in a shift, Choudhury is to them what Norwood is to us and Ricardo pretty much nullified us down the left.
Lundstram’s effort would have been ruled out for offside anyway mate

Looks like McBurnie was between the last defender and goalie (and interfering with play)

Thought that maybe but their keeper made the save and more importantly had a clear view so McBurnie can't have been interfering? I agree if it was parried and McBurine notched from that it's offside. Another VAR talking point.

Why would anyone start with Mcgoldrick after the last 3 games. Forget about last season. We need to progress and he has been poor so far ( running around a lot doesn't mean he has played well).
Mcgoldrick won everything in the air yesterday against established premiership centre halves. Had Robinson been on his toes and gambled he'd have had 2 one on ones. Agree they dont look a partnership but Robinson is the one I'd be questioning. He looks lightweight and not as pacey as I thought he was.

He hasn't been poor
If you base your opinions on missed chances you should spend more time around spotty teenagers playing FIFA and listening to Andy Goldstein on talksport
My opinion is based on him constantly giving the ball away,playing too deep and not being able to hold the ball up

Who is Andy Goldstein?

Mcgoldrick won everything in the air yesterday against established premiership centre halves. Had Robinson been on his toes and gambled he'd have had 2 one on ones. Agree they dont look a partnership but Robinson is the one I'd be questioning. He looks lightweight and not as pacey as I thought he was.
How many chances has Mcgoldrick created in the 1st 3 games.? Last season he was magnificent but he has not got up to speed with a higher level yet.

You need to be a little more open minded to this. Build up and overload, create the space and get runners in the box. Agree 100%

10 minutes to go, losing 2-1 and we are pushing up, their box is already loaded waiting for the ball. This bit I don't get. Twice we went back to Egan on the fucking halfway line when we had 2 or 3 chances to whip the ball in.

Our goal today came from ‘over playing’ on the flanks...

Just thought I’d point that out 🐸 ☕

Don’t change a winning team is bollocks when an obvious improvement is stroking his beard right in front of you.

Agreed wilder picked the wrong team starting him would have been a massive difference

I think we needed Fleck, or his type, in midfield yesterday.

Feeman's done enough for me to keep the shirt so, McBurnie has to start, I'd push Freeman forward and get either Fleck, if recovered from injury, or Besic, if he's fit enough to start, in midfield.

Learning point?

That was a top 6 side, elect.

We could have got at least a point. We'll give many more teams a game this season if we stay true to our style.

Another one that doesn't get it.

I tend to agree. Hitting it and scoring is a much harder skill into the far post than near post. You also get a split second more to react if it’s coming across you. Vardy hit it well, but I think Hendo was a foot or 2 too far to his left, leaving a gap at his near post.

I don't think we won a header in their box in 1st half their defenders dominated in the air.It was only after the subs that we panicked their defence and won aerial duels.

Stevens and Baldock should mix it up a bit more. Even though we scored from a diagonal ball we were getting too predictable with our delivery into the box. Both are talented footballers and should get behind the defence and into the penalty area more often, in my view.

Nice to see GK union out in full force. But yes no stopping that shot imo unless he was stood on the actual post, and if he was and Vardy had gone across goal we would be castigating him for bad positioning

I thought Henderson should have covered his LH post for their second. 😂

goal.jpg

Anything else? Should Smith have moved quicker to avoid Archer?

I agree with most of that.

Although dicking around and not getting the ball in the box early enough has been a flaw of ours at times. Not a big flaw but one we need to work on a little bit.
we couldn’t put crosses in because we had two number 10’s not stood in CF positions

I don't think we won a header in their box in 1st half their defenders dominated in the air.It was only after the subs that we panicked their defence and won aerial duels.
He won 3 flick ons outside the area for someone who could read the game to run on to. I'm not disputing it improved in the second half as we were chasing the game . Just don't think Mcgoldrick should be singled out for his performance, thought the whole team was below par first half.

1. Centre backs - do not get caught in possesion in our own half
2. Do not get beat at your near post
3. Start McBurnie
4. Stop looking for overloads before we cross when we have 5 players in the box

Other than that a really good performance and we deserved a point.
Hows about 5. 110% to get a result will not be viable all season?
Before any body shoots me down really think hard, that's what we've done over 3 games. Full tilt can not be done all season. We'll finish 14th 👍🏻😂⚔⚔

We don't 'dick around and not get the ball in the box early enough' We work the flanks/half spaces to make sure that we create the best possible chances that we can. It's one of the reasons that our chance conversion is so good, and one of the major reasons that we're watching premier league football this season.

Not that 'Gerritinbox Man' who used to sit near me on the Kop ever noticed.

I'm not "Gerritinbox Man" but I could be accused of being "av a f*ckin shot man" over the past few seasons. And again yesterday.

I think the reality is that we definitely do fart around too much sometimes, waiting for the perfect opportunity. On balance, we get it right, as our success has shown. But there were many times yesterday when we had numerical advantage in the box, but still wanted to create the "perfect" pass/opportunity. I think this is frustrating and it's not wrong to call it out.

Back
Top Bottom