Lack of injuries under Wilder

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

1973Blade

Reaction score
Over the years I've always thought that United had injury prone teams with at any one time five or six players out injured. Under Wilder (without wishing to tempt fate!) this hasn't been the case. In particular we don't seem to get the more avoidable injuries, hamstring and groin strains.
Not knowing about these matters, I'd be interested in whether this is due to good luck, good recruitment or good training.

man-touching-wood.jpg

Over the years I've always thought that United had injury prone teams with at any one time five or six players out injured. Under Wilder (without wishing to tempt fate!) this hasn't been the case. In particular we don't seem to get the more avoidable injuries, hamstring and groin strains.
Not knowing about these matters, I'd be interested in whether this is due to good luck, good recruitment or good training.
Looks like Matt Prestridge is doing a fine job?

Also could add we don't get that many red cards over the season. Basham this season was unlucky and both keepers last year but no outfield players last year?

That's a very reasonable question.

Given the admittedly little that I know about sports science and what's involved in the need to look after an athlete's body, I'd say that the backroom staff at united do a first rate job in ensuring that the player's are well aware of their responsibilities to themselves and the team when it comes to addressing injuries as soon as they happen. I doubt it's coincidence that we seem to have so few serious injuries, so let's offer a well received round of appreciation to whoever's responsible for making sure that the players are in such good shape.

Soon after CW arrived I met a friend of mine who is a keen Northampton fan. He said that CW had brought with him Matt Prestridge a sports scientist and that this guy was key in reducing their injury list. Well as ever since he came we have had virtually no injuries I am happy to believe that Matt and the rest of the backroom staff like physios, fitness guys are the reason but ultimately CW takes the credit for recognizing what they can acheive using "sports science" and for appointing the top team.

Bash was very unlucky, tackle never a yellow, nor even a foul. Not had a penalty against us this season

I was going to suggest that maybe he buys players with good track records of being injury free, but isnt being injury prone the main reason we have Mcgoldrick in the first place?

Weirdly I thought last season we were pretty unlucky with injuries, not in the sense that many were prone to niggling ones, but Coutts and Freeman were key players injured for a lengthy time, and Baldock, Donaldson and Blackman picked up injuries at some point I’m sure. Remember 4 reds last year: Clarke v Barnsley, Fleck v Bristol City, Moore v Wolves, Blackman v Brentford. To be fair the promotion from league 1 we we’re incredibly disciplined and barely got any injuries, as with this year.

Also could add we don't get that many red cards over the season. Basham this season was unlucky and both keepers last year but no outfield players last year?

Clarke got sent off against Barnsley and Fleck got sent off against Bristol City.

Weirdly I thought last season we were pretty unlucky with injuries, not in the sense that many were prone to niggling ones, but Coutts and Freeman were key players injured for a lengthy time, and Baldock, Donaldson and Blackman picked up injuries at some point I’m sure. Remember 4 reds last year: Clarke v Barnsley, Fleck v Bristol City, Moore v Wolves, Blackman v Brentford. To be fair the promotion from league 1 we we’re incredibly disciplined and barely got any injuries, as with this year.
All our strikers were injured last season at one point in Autumn with Ched having to play when not fully fit.

I think this post may become our downfall, the gods have read it now. We will now finish 12th with 6 players.

Sure I heard someone commenting on this topic on the radio. All those trainer bra things they wear in training with the GPS stuff contain all that individuals fitness levels. When a player hits what’s called the ‘red zone’ that’s their limit. That’s why a player is subbed.

I’ve either made all that up or did hear it somewhere.

Whatever is the reason long may it continue, strangely said exactly this question to my mate yesterday.

I suspect the desire to play and to win engendered by CW/AK helps with the physical fitness also.
The opposite being true over at Rusty Rovers.

Though IIRC during the Currie/Woodward era most of the players stayed fit.

Every time I post on this board I have to think about upsetting the footballing gods.

But now I realise we have a football god in charge.

Sure I heard someone commenting on this topic on the radio. All those trainer bra things they wear in training with the GPS stuff contain all that individuals fitness levels. When a player hits what’s called the ‘red zone’ that’s their limit. That’s why a player is subbed.

I’ve either made all that up or did hear it somewhere.

Aye but it’s still a disgrace every time Duffy is withdrawn. :)

I commented on how well we have done to avoid injuries this season at the halfway point of the season. Seven league games on, and the record is still excellent:

3 players have featured in every league game: Henderson and O'Connell have started all 30, and McGoldrick has started 24 and made 6 sub appearances. O'Connell has made105 consecutive starts (and came on as sub in the 3 games before that, giving him 108 in a row).

3 players - Egan, Fleck and Stevens - have only missed one game each.

Basham and Sharp have both missed 2 games. Basham would be ever present but for 2 1 game suspensions. Sharp has started 24 games and made 4 sub appearances, and was an unused sub in the other 2 games.

Norwood has started all 27 games since we signed him.

Duffy has played 26 times, starting 22 of those games.

The 10 players mentioned above have been 10 of our first XI for just about the whole season. Remarkable given the high tempo the game is played at.

The only position where selection hasn't been consistent is right back: Baldock has started 14 games and Freeman 16, though Baldock is very much the man in possession.

Last edited:

lakedistblade started a thread on something similar yesterday, which i believe is a strong reason that we have had so few injuries:

https://www.s24su.com/forum/index.php?threads/conditioning.69195/

During Wilders tenure and particularly in his first season, we've discussed the impact of the third person on the Management team, Matt Prestridge quite a lot.

There is no coincidence that we have had so few injuries compared to other clubs. Prestridge certainly must have a big input and anyone that watches the bench during games will see that Knill and Prestridge are chirping in Wilders ear all game.

The Sports Science side of the game, particularly at SUFC is huge now and the benefits are clear when you look at aspects such as injury records (soft tissue).

Sharp was in and out of the side too much, as well. He would have got 20 last season otherwise.

I suspect the desire to play and to win engendered by CW/AK helps with the physical fitness also.
The opposite being true over at Rusty Rovers.
Psychology really shouldn't be discounted - I wonder how many sicknotes at the sty are self-penned...

Back
Top Bottom